Chapter 16 - Back To Square One

The Witch Hunt

 

Naeun came home exhausted. Not physically, but emotionally. But while this morning she stressed out about the next month’s competition, right now she felt…at peace? Which was strange, since after finding out Woohyun was at school her troubles have doubled.

 

She threw her bag in the corner and stretched herself out on the couch without bothering to turn on the lights.

 

Yes. It was peace she felt – that beautiful feeling when you don’t have a worry in the world, and you don’t feel guilty about it.

Naeun closed her eyes. It’s been a while since I had this feeling.

And the weird thing was that Myungsoo was the entire source of it. Heck, if he wasn’t there to take her yelling, she might’ve had a panic attack to last the whole week.

Naeun got up and hung her coat in the closet. She smiled.

Myungsoo was weird. And while she still thought he was a low-life prick who blackmails her just for fun, she couldn’t help but see the good qualities in him – he was a sincere guy. On the train ride they didn’t talk at all. But while silence would usually be awkward between two strangers, Naeun felt perfectly calm and comfortable just standing near Myungsoo. It’s as if they knew each other for such a long, long time that they could have a ‘conversation’ without saying anything.

I’m probably over thinking it…

 

But perhaps it wouldn’t be a bad idea to trust Myungsoo. Just a little bit.

 

The bell suddenly rung and Naeun snapped out of her thoughts.

She readied a small knife in her pocket, and tiptoed to the door.

“Who is it?”

“Your neighbor Miss Son!” A dulled voice replied.

Neighbor?

Naeun cautiously opened the door an inch before recognizing the girl’s face.

Oh, her…

 

Kim Namjoo walked with some pan in her hands, embarrassed.

“I’m sorry to bother you!” Namjoo bowed and nearly dropped the pan. Naeun smiled a little, taking it from her. It smelled great.

“I’m new here…and you’re the only one I know in this area so I decided to stop by! I’m a bit late, but this should be delicious since it’s my mother’s recipe!” Namjoo nervously looked at Naeun, who put the pan down on the table and was busy peeking at what was inside.

“It looks amazing, did you cook it all by yourself?” Namjoo exhaled in relief - it seems it was the right decision to bring some food to cut the tension.

“I tried, I hope you’ll like it!” Naeun took out a pair of chopsticks but Namjoo vigorously shook her head. “No, no! It’s just for you! I already ate!”

 

“Ish shomethin wrong?” Naeun asked with a stuffed mouth. Namjoo seemed really eager to say something.

“Ah…Remember that man you threw water on? Well, I was finally able to reject him.” Namjoo fiddled around with her scarf. “I wanted to thank you, really. I admire your straightforwardness so much! You were really cool back then! And…I…wanted to ask you for advice.”

“Advice?”

“With Sungjong! I was finally able to reject him, but umm…” Namjoo hesitated.

 “…but you don’t know how to get rid of him now?” Naeun filled it. Namjoo nodded, and with her cute orange curls bounced up and down. The girl was adorable – petite figure, expressive face, girly manners, humble but daring look. She was the type of girl mangas portrayed as heroines, the type a lot of guys loved. No wonder a guy like Sungjong took fancy in her. Naeun felt as if they didn’t belong to the same species they were so different…

“You see, I’m happy we broke up, but I know he’s not the type to just let it go. I even got a threatening phone call last night…” Naeun nodded with understanding and took another bite. Namjoo continued, waving her arms around. “And it’s not just him – I also have to avoid his friends! I mean, what is he asked one of them to help him? The other day I saw Myungsoo at the repairs, and I literally ran before he could see me…”

 

Naeun stopped chewing and swallowed down her food.

“…Myungsoo?” She asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Yes, one of Sungjong’s childhood friends…”

“You don’t mean Kim Myungsoo, do you?”

Namjoo blinked. “Yes, that’s him, do you know him? Along with Sunggyu and Woohyun maybe? They’re all very, very good friends.”

 

Naeun grew silent as she tried to think. She remembered how strangely Myungsoo approached her at the café. How strangely he kept clinging onto her without a solid reason.

Wait a second.

 

“Namjoo, you said that you got a phone call from this Sungjong? What exactly did he say?”

Namjoo’s eyes grew big. “Miss Son…you’re as sharp as I thought you’d be…” She laughed, avoiding Naeun’s cold stare.

What did he say?”

Namjoo sighed. “I wanted to warn you – Sungjong wasn’t himself when he called me last night! I think he honestly believes we broke up just because of you, and now he wants to hurt you.” Namjoo anxiously looked at Naeun’s blank expression. “Miss Son? Are you alright?”

 

“What? Oh, yes. It’s all perfect…”

So that’s why that bastard Myungsoo tried to get close to me.

 

‘Would it kill you to believe that I’m here just because I want to be here?’

 

I guess that was a lie too.

 

 

 

“Naeun.”

 “Naeun.”

 “Naeun~”

 “Naeun!”

 “You can’t ignore me forever like this.”

“Yes I can.”

“No you can’t.”

“Yes I can!”

“No you can’t, you’re already acknowledging my existence.”

Naeun frowned and didn’t answer. She pretended to read the advertisements on the train’s bulletin.

“Naeun-chan, what did I do? Why are so mad? Is it because I saw you cry?” Myungsoo tried to swing himself into Naeun’s vision, but she looked away again. “I won’t tell anyone, promise!”

Naeun glared at him. “There’s nothing wrong with me. It’s the way I’ve always been, can’t you tell?”

“True, you’re always poker-faced…” Myungsoo’s voice trailed off as he leaned “But you’re definitely mad right now.”

Looking at Myungsoo’s smiling face now made Naeun feel all the more disgusted. She didn’t hate him – that would involve her actually caring about him. But she did feel disappointment; and what she truly hated was the fact that even knowing Myungsoo was being friendly with her only to hurt her, she still wanted to believe him.

“Two-faced people like you disgust me.” She quietly commented.

“What?!” this time Myungsoo was truly insulted because he felt for once Naeun meant what she said. Before he could say anything, the train doors opened to their stop and Naeun ran off.

 

It seems the two were back to square one.

 

---

 

Author's notes: I'm so dead >.> The chapter is much shorter than usual (still longer than a regular fanfic chapter fml) Myungeun don't seem to get anywhere, huh? And Nauen's being a girl and not saying anything. I kinda killed the relationship as soon as it had any potential to start, trolololol ~ I'm aware I used the same "Naeun runs off the train" scene before, but I thought to use it to show how they really didn't get anywhere.

It's not that I don't have anything to write about, it's just that I can't seem to put it in a nice package to present it. My next update I promise will be much more exciting - hopefully I'll get to introduce a very important character~ Anyways, I hope I'll update sometime this week - I try to alternate between this fanfic and my other one, but it's time consuming ^^; I'd love it if you read both, But I can't force you, can I?

Also, do you guys want me to do a comment-reply thing next update? I see you saying such kind words about my writing T.T And I don't even know how to respond! So I end up not saying anything and being rude...

I'm also considering taking any one-shot suggestions. And ask me anything for clarification.

So really? Any comments --> this author is in 7th heaven. Because I know most of you are shy including me and don't comment. So anytime someone commnets I'm like 'wow this person thinks my work is worth enough to leave a comment!'