Thirty seven

Twisted Fate

“Where are we going?” Eun Mi panted as she walked up the steep.

“Somewhere fun,” Kris smiled as he pulled Eun Mi towards him.

Kris was leading the group to someplace for 20 minutes now and still, the rest of them didn’t know where they were going. Everyone was tired but only Kris still had energy left in him.

“Break, break,” Luhan waved and placed his hands on his knees, slightly bending forward.

Yeomin passed Luhan a bottle of water as he gulped it down hurriedly. Kris and Eun Mi stood there standing as Eun Mi wiped the sweat off Kris’ forehead.

“Are you not tired?” she spoke.

“Not really. Alright, let’s get going now, we only have a few more kilometres to go,” Kris shouted to Luhan and Yeomin and walked off with Eun Mi.

“I am going to kill this guy. This better be worth it or else I will push him off wherever we are stopping at,” Luhan cursed as he straightened himself up and headed towards the direction which Kris and Eun Mi went to.

“We’re here!” Kris yelled, echoes being heard.

“Holy crap,” Luhan whispered in awe.

Yeomin and Eun Mi looked at the sight in front of them with wide eyes. The sight was breathtaking. Now that they were on the top of the cliff, all the hard work for climbing didn’t matter anymore. Everything below their feet seemed to be so far away, they could see the other different campsites, the river and even the birds were flying under them! A smile hinged upon Eun Mi’s lips as she felt the wind brush against her cheeks, it was like she was the queen, looking at her paradise. Yeomin looked up and reached out her hand, the clouds seemed to be only metres away, her little fear of height was no longer present and she had the urge to just fly away with the birds.

“It’s so pretty,” Luhan awed. He was sure they were at least 80m above the ground. Everywhere he looked there was green, the sight was simply amazing and he regretted not bringing a camera along. Trees were lined up against each other and groups of butterflies rested on top of them.

“Yeah but we’re not staying here,” Kris disturbed their moment. “Come on.”

“Do not tell me we are-”

“Bungee jumping,” Kris finished off Luhan’s sentence.

Yeomin snapped out of her trance and walked over to the edge. Her legs tremendously trembled and her fear of height came back at her like the speed of light.

Eun Mi stood frozen on one spot, not daring to move.

“Come on, it’ll be fun!” Kris exclaimed.

“Kris do you realise that some of us here have a fear of height? Like Yeomin, Eun Mi and I? Do you seriously expect us to jump off a cliff?” Luhan gawked.

“Babe, you’re scared of heights?” Kris turned towards Eun Mi.

Eun Mi scoffed and shook her head, “No. But Yeomin is, I don’t think she would want to do it.”

“I-I’m fine,” Yeomin spoke. “I can do it,” she said with a shaking voice.

“Are you sure?” Luhan gripped onto her hands.

She gave his hand a little tug and smiled. “I’m sure.”

After filling in all the forms and taking measurements, they headed out towards the edge of the cliff. The sounds of their shoes making contact with the platform beneath them caused tension in the air.

Yeomin was scared and her face has gone pale like she saw a ghost, but, she wants to do this. She wanted the experience. She had realised that she would be able to fly when she jumps off the platform, and it was going to be the feeling of freedom. She had never done this before, so why not do it now when you get the chance?

Kris tucked Eun Mi’s loose hair behind her ear and gave her a sweet smile. “Are you sure you’re not scared?” he asked.

“Who do you think I am?” Eun Mi wrinkled her nose.

“If you’re pretending you are brave then stop it, I can see right through you,” he teased, close to her ears.

Eun Mi pushed him away, making him laugh. “Think whatever you want,” she said.

“Alright, are we all ready?” the assistant called.

Kris – the only excited one, Eun Mi, Yeomin and Luhan all looked at the man, grinning at them.

Kris grabbed Eun Mi’s hand and pulled her towards him.

“Who is going first?” the assistant questioned.

Kris and Eun Mi looked at each other, nodded before Kris replied, “We are.”

“Alright, can you please turn to your left and get yourselves ready,” the man instructed.

Eun Mi followed behind Kris with heavy steps. She mentally told herself to relax but as soon as she stepped out on the edge, she arms automatically hugged Kris’ arm.

Kris moved his arms away from her and wrapped them around her body. Eun Mi s her arms around his waist and leaned her head on his broad chest.

“Are you all good?” the assistant asked as he made some adjustments on the straps.

“Yeah,” Kris answered.

“3…….2….” he started the countdown.

Eun Mi’s grip around Kris’ waist became tighter and her eyes squeezed shut. Kris looked down at Eun Mi and whispered, “We don’t have to do this if you want to.”

Although both Kris and Eun Mi were nervous, Luhan and Yeomin were freaked out. They stood by the side line, hanging onto each other as they looked at Kris and Eun Mi.

“I can do this,” Eun Mi whispered back.

“1!” the man shouted.

Kris and Eun Mi lifted their heels off the platform as they fell down.

“Oh my god!” Luhan yelled, looking out on the edge – followed by Yeomin.

“WOOHOO!” Kris yelled.

Eun Mi could feel the wind rushing pass her and her heart leaving her chest.

“Eun Mi, open your eyes! It’s amazing!” Kris shouted.

Slowly, Eun Mi opened the eyes. The view was indeed amazing. After a few more bounces, they landed softly on the boat which drove them to the shore.

“Alright, next,” the assistant called.

Luhan and Yeomin walked hand in hand towards the edge.

“Nervous?” the man chuckled.

“Of course,” Luhan managed to say.

The two both got into their positions. Yeomin had the same reaction as Eun Mi and Luhan noticed this.

“You know, we DO NOT have to do this,” he said.

“I know. I want to jump though,” Yeomin replied.

“3….2….”

“Oh wait, wait!” Yeomin yelled, stepped back.

“Oh my god,” Luhan’s legs gave up on him and he slumped down to the platform.

Yeomin laughed at Luhan’s appearance which seemed to ease her beating heart.

“Are you okay Yeomin?” Luhan questioned, going towards her.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” she answered.

“Are you fine to go now?” he asked, worried.

Yeomin took 2 deep breaths before nodding her head.

“Alright, 3, 2…”

Luhan and Yeomin locked eyes with each other and Luhan smiled at her ever-so warningly.

“1!”

Slowly, they both leaned towards the edge and together, they soared through the air.

Yeomin had her eyes opened, in shock. She did it! She actually jumped. Tears of joy gathered in her eyes as she smiled to herself. *I can’t believe this. I actually jumped. I’ve never felt so…free.* She closed her eyes, trying to remember this feeling forever.

---

After getting themselves cleaned up and eating dinner, the four sat beside the campfire, roasting up marshmallows.

“It’s sad, today is our last night here,” Luhan said as he frowned.

“We all had fun right?” Kris smiled.

“Of course. Thanks to you,” Eun Mi tilted her head up to look at Kris. Usually, she would never say these kinds of things but for the past few days, after witnessing everyone with million dollar smiles on their face, Eun Mi felt thankful towards Kris.

He smiled and leaned down, giving her a quick peck earning a face from Luhan.

“Ewwwww,” he scrunched up his face. He is not used to Eun Mi being all so cute and lovey dovey and Eun Mi vice versa.

Eun Mi picked up a small twig and threw it towards Luhan. “Same goes to you.”

“Hey, since it’s our last night here, why don’t we play a game of spotlight?” Kris questioned.

Everyone suddenly felt excited as they hopped up.

“Alright. Kris, you can be the hunter since you volunteered,” Luhan spoke before scrambling away out into the woods.

Yeomin and Eun Mi also went off in different directions. Kris rolled his eyes and began counting.

“2….1, ready or not here I come!” Kris yelled, turning around.

Kris walked through the woods, pointing the torch everywhere. He was on high alert and he was determined that he will catch them all.

“Why do I have a feeling that I will catch Luhan first?” Kris scratched his head.

Luhan on the other hand was trying his best to not make a sound. He went left and right but he couldn’t find the right place to hide. Tired, he leaned against a tree and panted.

“Hold on,” he whispered, looking up at the tree. An idea came into his mind as he smirked and pulled up his trousers. “Kris, you are never going to find me.”

“Where are these people?” Kris frustratingly kicked the leaves on the ground. He was beginning to lose patience. It has already been 15 minutes into the game and still, he spotted no one. He stopped in the middle of nowhere and pointed his torch around. Suddenly, an owl started hooting. Kris looked around, confused.

“Shoosh, please shoosh,” Luhan begged the owl next to him. “He’s going to find me!” he hissed. His eyes widened when he saw light coming towards his direction. He sighed in defeat and said, “He’ll find me anyways.” So, Luhan decided to pose.

Kris pointed the light up and saw what looked like human legs. As soon as he saw Luhan’s pulled back face and arms dangling in the air, he fell to the ground in shock.

“Holy !” he cursed.

“H.E.L.L.O,” Luhan said in a robotic voice. “You have found me, so, please spare me a life,” he continued.

Kris breathed in and out heavily before looking back up at Luhan. “Get yo down here man! What the hell are you doing all the way up there?!” he yelled.

Luhan went back to his normal posture and looked down the tree, holding tightly onto the branch. “I don’t know how to get down,” he said.

Kris’ eyes rounded in disbelief. “Then why did you get up there in the first place?”

“It was a good hiding spot, who would imagine that you would find me here,” Luhan patted the branch.

“I found you so get down while I look for the girls,” Kris said and started walking off.

“Wait! Kris! Help me!” Luhan called, desperately.

Seeing the frightened Luhan up on the tree, Kris had no choice but to turn back.

“Alright, climb down?” Kris clapped his hands.

“How?”

“You climb down like how you climbed up but in reverse,” Kris explained.

Luhan started moving and slowly made his way down the tree. However, before he passed the halfway mark, his legs started to lose its posture, thus, causing Luhan to fall backwards. He gave a not-so-manly scream as he fell down and landed with a thud.

“Get off me,” Kris grunted, feeling the pain from his back.

Luhan opened his eyes and smiled. “Thank you,” he said, patting Kris’ chest.

“Urgh get off me,” Kris rolled over, causing Luhan to fall off. “Man, if people see us they are going to think we are together,” he said before walking off.

Luhan chuckled as he watched Kris’ disappearing figure, stood up and dusted himself off.

---

“AHH!” Yeomin screamed as she jumped out of a bush.

Kris flinched back and put a hand on his heart. He held up his torch and found Yeomin standing there awkwardly.

“I found you?” Kris said.

“It’s not fair, a dragonfly came and shocked me,” Yeomin frowned.

“I would go easy on you but no. You can join Luhan at the campsite,” Kris smiled.

“Oh? Luhan was found?” Yeomin walked towards Kris.

“Yeah. I found him up a tree,” Kris replied.

“Up a tree? Alright, I’ll go and see him,” Yeomin smiled and walked off.

“You know the way right?”

“Of course I do.”

“Man, I’m supposed to scare everyone so why do I get scared?” Kris muttered before heading off.

“I found you,” Yeomin called as she walked towards Luhan by the campfire.

Luhan arose from his seat and walked over to Yeomin, giving her a tight hug. “I missed you,” he said.

Yeomin smiled and returned the hug. They both pulled away and sat beside each other at the campfire.

“So, I heard you were up a tree?” Yeomin spoke.

“Yeah,” Luhan rubbed the back of his neck.

“How did you get down?”

“I couldn’t. Kris had to help me. Well, I was halfway down when my foot slipped and I fell on Kris and yeah,” Luhan explained.

Yeomin chuckled, “Are you hurt anywhere?”

“No. I’m perfectly fine,” Luhan put his thumbs up. “Anyways, how did Kris find you?”

“There was a dragonfly and it shocked me so I jumped out from behind the tree,” Yeomin said, her lips forming into a pout.

Luhan his lips, unconsciously due to Yeomin’s action. Within a matter of seconds, he placed his lips on Yeomin’s and wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her closer to him. She squeaked in surprise at the sudden kiss but nonetheless, smiled.

Luhan pulled back and spoke, “You are so cute.”  Then he placed his lips on her for the second time, this time more passionately.

“Guys! Guys!” Kris came running after 10 minutes of desperately searching everywhere for his girlfriend. “I can’t find Eun Mi,” he froze.

Luhan and Yeomin stopped their cuddling session and looked at Kris, horrified. Yeomin was beginning to sweat as she thought of all of the danger that could’ve happened to Eun Mi. 

“We’ll help you look for her,” Luhan picked up 2 torches and gave one to Yeomin.

They all walked into the woods, hoping to find Eun Mi as soon as possible.

“Eun Mi!”

“Eun Mi!”

“Eun Mi ah! Where are you?!”

Voices were loud in the forest as light was flicking in different direction.

Kris ran his fingers through his hair and desperately ran here and there. He was worried. Really worried. He wanted to find Eun Mi as fast as possible. He didn’t even dare to think about the things that could’ve happened to her.

Luhan saw how scared Kris was and walked towards him. “We’ll find her, don’t worry,” he consoled.

Kris only nodded before running off, deeper into the woods.

“Eun Mi?” Yeomin called softly. “Where are you?”

“Psst,” a voice hissed.

Yeomin followed the sound of the voice and when she looked up, she was filled with joy to find Eun Mi up the tree.

“Eun Mi, oh my gosh,” Yeomin sighed. “We were worried sick. Come down, Kris is really worried about you. He looks like he is about to burst.”

Eun Mi shook her head and smiled. “I’m having fun up here, just go ahead and pretend you didn’t see me okay?”

Yeomin hesitated but still went off after multiple whines from Eun Mi.

“Where is she?” Kris buried his face in his hands.

Yeomin and Luhan walked to his side and looked at each other.

*I can’t do this anymore.* Yeomin thought. “Kris, Eu-”

“BOO!” Eun Mi came jumping from behind Kris.

Kris, Yeomin and Luhan jumped back in shock.

“Where the hell were you Lee Eun Mi?!” Kris yelled in outrage.

“Up a tree?” she replied.

“Do you know how worried we were? I thought that something bad happened to you but I didn’t want to think that! If you heard us calling you then maybe try and jump off the tree and find us so we know that you are safe!” he yelled.

Everything was dead silent as Eun Mi looked at Kris. She had never seen this side of him before and it made her feel sick to the stomach.

“I was just having fun, gosh,” she muttered.

“Did you know how worried I was?” he exhaled. “ing hell Eun Mi! Everything has its limits!” he spat and walked off, going into the tent.

Yeomin gasped and Luhan frowned. Eun Mi stood there, bewildered.

“I think you should go and talk to him,” Luhan suggested.

“No, leave him alone. He’ll need time,” Eun Mi said and let out an unhappy sigh.

Yeomin walked towards and sat beside her. “I’m sorry,” she apologised.

“Why are you sorry?” Eun Mi questioned.

“Because if I had told Kris that I saw you then this wouldn’t have happened,” she frowned, feeling guilty.

“It’s not your fault okay? Don’t blame it on yourself. That dude has a big temper that’s why,” Eun Mi laughed.

“You might want to visit him later when he has calmed himself down a little bit though,” Yeomin suggested.

“And maybe talk sweetly because you have a bad temper too,” Luhan added.

Eun Mi rose up her fist and Luhan quickly pulled Yeomin away.

“We’re going to watch the stars or something. Come when you are ready?” Luhan spoke.

Eun Mi nodded and looked up at the sky. It was dark and the stars glistened like diamonds. Was it really her fault? Well, you couldn’t blame Kris for having a short temper either. Eun Mi felt selfish that she only cared about having fun and not about the people who were worried about her.

Slowly, she brought herself up to her feet and walked towards the tents. Standing outside of the boy’s tent, she took off her shoes and walked in. Kris was lying on his stomach, head resting on his arms. Due to his height, his legs hung in the air, waving back and forth.

“Kris?” Eun Mi called.

Kris didn’t reply. Eun Mi sighed and sat beside him. “Can you sit up? You look really childish right now,” she spoke.

Kris got up and faced Eun Mi. “Do you know how worried I was? I couldn’t stand the thought of losing you. I don’t want to lose you just like that. I can’t even stand the thought of living my life without you by my side. You were the one that completely changed me,” he said.

Eun Mi softened and smiled. “I’m sorry,” she said. “I promise I won’t do that again.”

“I’m sorry for being angry at you earlier. Lost my temper,” he casually looked away, embarrassed. “See! I love you that much!”

Eun Mi blinked at Kris and smiled. She placed her hand on his and squeezed it tightly. “I’m sorry for making you worry.”

“You shouldn’t do it again alright? And why were you up a tree? Luhan was also up a tree too until I found him. You best friends are so alike,” Kris clucked his tongue, shaking his heads.

“Really? Looks like we’re made for each other,” Eun Mi laughed.

Kris shot Eun Mi a warning look before enveloping her into his strong arms, making her crash against his chest.

“You’re only made for me,” he whispered, looking at her with affection. Slowly, he leaned down; wanting to give her kiss but Eun Mi only blocked his mouth and moved away from him.

“Alright, let’s go out now,” she said and made her way out the tent.

Kris frowned in disappointment but followed her out the tent.

---

“Yeomin ah, are you having fun right now?” Luhan questioned.

The two laid on their backs, hands intertwined as they looked up at the stars.

“Of course I am. I’ve never done this before so it was a whole new experience. I am having so much fun,” Yeomin replied.

“Yeah because I’m here,” Luhan chuckled.

Yeomin leaned her head to the side to face Luhan, “No not really. Everyone is here and they all make me happy.”

“But I bring 70% of happiness into your life,” Luhan persisted.

“I don’t know,” Yeomin looked away.

Luhan kissed the back of her hand and smiled. “What else do you want to do after this?” he questioned.

“There are a lot of things I want to do but I guess, cherry picking?” Yeomin replied.

“Cherry picking?” Luhan repeated.

“In primary school, the class had an excursion to go cherry picking. My friends went but I couldn’t go because of my parents. When they came back, they never stopped talking about it. I felt like the odd one,” Yeomin explained suddenly feeling down.

“I’ll take you there one day,” Luhan spoke.

Yeomin quickly snapped her head towards him. “Really?” she said with a giddy voice.

“Really, I promise,” Luhan brought up his pinkie. Yeomin wrapped her pinkie around his and sealed the promise with their thumb.

“Pinkie promises now? How old are you Luhan?” Kris teased.

Both Yeomin and Luhan sat up from their position and looked at the couple, walking towards them.

“Looks like you guys made up?” Luhan raised a brow, looking at Eun Mi’s arms around Kris’.

“Yeah, sorry about before,” Kris rubbed the back of his neck.

“It’s okay. Sit down,” Yeomin said.

“So what were you two promising about?” Eun Mi questioned.

Luhan looked at Yeomin, trying to tell her not to tell them but Yeomin ignored his gaze and replied, “Luhan promised me that he will take me to go cherry picking. You can come along if you want.”

Luhan sighed and mumbled random words in disappointment.

“Really? It doesn’t look like Luhan wants us to come though,” Eun Mi looked at Luhan.

Yeomin nudged Luhan and with a heavy head, he turned to Eun Mi and smiled. “Of course I want you to come,” he said with clenched teeth.

“Alright! We’ll go then!” Eun Mi excitingly exclaimed.

---

The next day, the 4 packed up their belongings and headed back home. Although they all slept late last night, the ride home was filled with laughter and energy.

After Kris dropped Yeomin off on her street of her house, her butler picked her up; however, something about him was strange.

“Butler Jang, are you okay?” Yeomin questioned.

“Yeomin –ah, I think your mother knew where you went,” he replied, sighing. “That woman really does have sharp eyes. I think she sent someone to follow us or something.”

Suddenly, Yeomin felt trapped. Her heart was racing with fright and she gripped onto her seatbelt. She leaned back against the seat, waiting for whatever comes to her when she reaches home.

 

“Yeomin, where did you go?” were the first words her mother said to her as soon as she stepped into the living room.

“I told you mother, I went to Jeju Island to see our resort,” Yeomin curtly replied.

“Don’t lie to me. I never raised up someone to lie. I know you went somewhere and I am pretty sure that Butler Jang did not come with you. You went with your friends didn’t you? Is it that boy who works at the chicken store?” her mother interrogated her.

Yeomin kept quiet. She couldn’t lie anymore.

“How dare you disobey my orders?!” her mother yelled.

Yeomin flinched, keeping her head hung low.

“First you lie to me and now you disobey my orders? Are you my daughter? Is it because of that chicken guy that you have become like this? This is why I don’t let you play with lower class people because they change you into a different person. They change you into someone who could be talked upon on and underestimated on. They change you into someone who will bring shame to the family!”

Her mother took deep breaths as she tried to calm herself down. “Go back up to your room. You are not allowed to leave this house until I say so.”

“What will happen to Butler Jang?” Yeomin managed to ask.

“I don’t know what to do. Tell me Yeomin, what should I do? I’m not going to fire him because he has worked with our family for so long. I’ll let him take a break and whilst he is on his break, my driver will drive you to wherever you want to go,” her mother responded.

Yeomin walked back up to her room in silence. After closing the door, she shut her eyes. *No mother. That chicken store boy only brightened up my life. He gave me happiness. He taught me things I’ve never learnt before. He changed my life. He gave me things that you couldn’t give me. He gave me love.*


A/N: Sorry that the update took a while ^^ I was lazy.. haha

Anyways, do subscribe and leave a little comment after reading!