Thirty eight

Twisted Fate

Kris sat up groggily from bed and yawned. He scratched his head and stared blankly at the white wall in front of him. After regaining full consciousness, his hand reached out towards his bedside table and picked up his phone.

After a few rings, the line from the other end finally picked up and Kris’ lips automatically formed into a smile.

“Eun Mi?” he spoke.

“Yeah?” Eun Mi responded.

“Where are you?”

“I’m at home. Why?”

“I miss you,” he cooed.

“But you just saw me yesterday though?” Eun Mi laughed.

“I know, but I still miss you. I’m going to meet you soon, be ready for me,” Kris informed.

“I can’t get one day by myself can I?” Eun Mi sighed.

“I know you want me there. Wait for me,” he said as he flipped his blanket away from him.

“Alright.”

Kris hung up the phone and walked towards his bathroom. Just before he could enter, a knock came on his door.

“Come in,” he said.

The door opened and his mother walked in. His smile disappeared from his face as he stared at his mother walking towards him.

“Are you planning to go somewhere?” she asked.

“Yes.”

“You can’t. We have dinner to attend later,” she said.

“Then I’ll be back by dinner,” Kris retorted.

“How many times have you said that and how many times did you not come back home? How many times have you made us feel so disappointed because you didn’t turn up?” his mother threw questions at him. “Stay home. I don’t want you going anywhere until we go out.”

Kris rolled his eyes. “I can’t take anymore of your lectures in early morning. Fine, I’ll stay home. Happy?” he threw his t-shirt down and walked out of the room.  

After making sure that his mother finally left his room, Kris went back in and sat on his bed in disappointment.

To: Babe
From: Kris

Eun Mi, I’m sorry I can’t meet up with you today. Something suddenly came up.

Eun Mi looked at the message and felt a pinch of disappointment.

To: Kris
From: Babe

It’s okay. Come next time. Finally, one day to myself. HEHE^^

Kris laughed and typed away.

To: Babe
From: Kris

I miss you so much. Stupid plans.

To: Kris
From: Babe

I miss you to. You’ll see me tomorrow won’t you?

To: Babe
From: Kris

Of course I will, but I want to see you today too

To: Kris
From: Babe

Let leave me alone haha, anyways, I have to clean the house now. Bye~

To: Babe
From: Kris

You can clean while talking to meee

To: Kris
From: Babe

You’re a distraction that’s why

To: Babe
From: Kris

I help you work, I give you motivation

Eun Mi looked at the message with a raised brow before deciding to put down her phone and get back to work. She knew that this was one of his tricks where he keeps talking and texting so she could stay longer. If she did that, time would pass by so fast that her whole day would be wasted on texting Kris.

Kris waited impatiently on the bed, tossing and turning. “Damn, my trick didn’t work,” he muttered.

Time passed by slowly for Kris as he did nothing else besides lying on the bed, playing on his phone, watching television, eating and searching the net. He would sneak out right now but since he would get nonstop yells from his mother -which happens every day- he decided to just stay put. Not that he is scared of his mother of course. There are times when Kris can just go out on his mother but there are times when he can’t: example, today.

Eun Mi, on the other hand was cleaning around the house. Her parents were out and she was left home to clean. She wanted to though. Taking a small rest, she slumped onto the couch and massaged her aching shoulders.

“Should I text Kris?” she held up her phone. After a short while of thoughts, she decided to go back to work.

---

“Are you ready?” Kris’ mother questioned as Kris fixed his tie.

“Yes,” he replied.

“Then let’s go. We don’t want to be late.”

Kris picked up his blazer, slipped his phone into his pocket and walked out of his room.

“Today, I want you to be on your best behaviour. If anything goes wrong, then we are done for. Do you get it?” his mother warned.

Kris stared out the window and looked by at the passing buildings. His mother was always like this and it didn’t surprise him at all however, today, his parents – especially his mother - looked surprisingly happy.  He found it weird and awkward since he hasn’t seen his mother smile like this but nonetheless, just shrugged it off.

“Alright, best behaviour alright?” his mother gave a final warning before stepping out of the car.

They entered a fancy restaurant and followed the waitress to find their room.

“Good, they aren’t here yet,” his mother sighed in relief. She pulled out a chair next to her husband and seated herself down.

Kris sat beside her and looked around. “Can you tell us why we are here today? If it’s business matters then why are you here?” Kris looked at his mother.

“We need to discuss something with the family of one of our alliances,” his mother spoke.

“What is that ‘something’?”

“Honey, just tell him. It is his future after all,” Kris’ father spoke.

Kris shifted his attention to his father then back at his mother. “Tell me what? What future?”

“Marriage matters,” his mother replied, calmly sipping her drink.

Kris looked at his mother, horrified. Marriage? As in husband and wife marriage? What on earth is happening right now? He opened his mouth to say something but the words built up into a ball inside his throat.

“M-marriage?” he stuttered.

“Yes. Marriage.”

“Why? What the hell? Why am I getting married? Why are you even setting up my marriage life?!” he raged, standing up from his seat and glaring down at his mother.

Before his mother could respond, the doors opened and Kris walked back in shock. He looked at the very familiar girl behind her mother. He felt a tonne of weight drop onto his heart and he froze. She is not the girl that he would be arranged married to right? She can’t be. She definitely can’t be the girl.

“Yeomin?”

 

A huge piercing crash could be heard and Eun Mi covered her ears. She looked down at the shattered glass bowl on the floor and bit her lips.

“I think I held it too tight. It’s okay, I’ll go buy a new one tomorrow,” Eun Mi muttered with regret.

Something wasn’t right and she could feel it.