Reading between the lines

A thousand years

Luhan banged his head against his locker after slamming it shut and it awkwardly rebounding into his face, he groaned and shut it for the second time, only much more softly.

“Nice move” A velvet voice said smoothly, and although Luhan couldn’t see him yet- he knew exactly who it was

“Hello to you also Sehun” Luhan replied dryly “What do you want?”

“Can’t I sit with my friend at lunch?”

“Yeah, but I feel like there’s a catch”

“You got me” Sehun laughed “You’re coming to sit with me and my family”

“Say what”

“I don’t repeat myself Luhan”

“You’re kidding me right”

 “No”

That was Sehun for you, blunt and to the point, but that was how Luhan ended up sitting with eleven people whose eyes changed colour and whose skin temperature was below zero degrees.

“Sehun… Why did you bring him here?” The tall blonde one known as Kris asked, he looked worried his gold eyes tinged with concern

“Don’t worry yourself Kris he’s my friend”

“Since when did you have friends” Chen snorted

“Since I met Luhan” Sehun said expressionlessly

They were nice, really they were but it was so awkward and Luhan just felt so out of place, they were beautiful and he was… well, himself, it also didn’t help that he felt like a pig for being the only one eating all his food… Apart from the one named Xiumin, he just ate loads.

“So…” Kris looked at Luhan suspiciously “you’re in one of my classes aren’t you?”

“He’s in Tao and I’s math class” Chen said “You ditched that one time” He had a wicked smirk on his face before someone kicked him underneath the table to shut him up

“Let me get this straight” Luhan said “Baekhyun and Chanyeol are dating; Kai and Kyungsoo are dating, Chen and Xiumin are dating, and Kris and Tao are dating?”

“Pretty much” Sehun said picking at his broccoli looking bored

“Do you wanna go to the library with me?” Luhan asked quietly and he smiled when he saw Sehun’s eyes light up with curiosity

“Sure”

----

“So why’d you want to come look at books?” Sehun asked as they walked through the many shelves of classics the library owned “how to kill a mocking bird” Sehun murmured before glancing up at Luhan “You know this was so much better in its original English form”

“And how would you know?”

“I can speak English”

“Let me guess, you can also speak French, Chinese, German and Spanish too” Luhan said sarcastically is there anything you can’t do?”

“You’d be surprised how much I can do”

“Oh bragging again are we” Luhan muttered under his breath

“You’re really stubborn you know”

“Thank you”

“Must be why you got a scholarship”

“Why’re you in Seoul?” Luhan asked looking up “If you could speak English wouldn’t you rather be in New York or London? Those are the places I dream of going, but I can’t because I can’t speak their language, but you can so why aren’t you there?”

“My family enjoys Seoul more than any of those places, we just moved back from France”

“So you can speak French” Luhan stated, barely surprised at this point

“Yeah” he gave a crooked smile “Seoul is better… I guess we like the fast technology over here, mind you Germany is close behind you”

“I feel like you’ve lived for centuries with all the stuff you’ve experienced in your life”

“That’s ridiculous” Sehun laughed nervously

“I’m kind of jealous you know” Luhan said glumly “All I’ve ever known is farming, cows, and rural life, and you’ve been to all these amazing places and done amazing things, I don’t know anyone else that is multilingual a prodigy at dancing AND piano at the age you are it’s crazy”

“I can also play the cello and the harmonica”

“That’s what I’m talking about you’re amazing!”

“Luhan” Sehun said a little sadly “You don’t understand, you never will, I’d give anything to be you, and if I was you I’d be running far away from someone like me”

“I can’t run away from you, you’re so, I can’t explain it”

“Luhan” Sehun said a little pained “I don’t want you to think I’m amazing”

“Then why do you brag so much?”

“Away from that, bragging is fun, but just because I can do all of these things, you know, I’m friendless- unless you count my siblings who are ALL very lovey dovey in the house I can’t get away, and I can’t trust anyone”

“Why not?”

“Because Luhan I can’t”

“That’s a terrible reason”

“Not for someone like me”

“Why do you always say that- like you’re different from everyone else?”

“Because I am”

“Yeah but you won’t tell me how you’re different”

“I’m just going to wait for you to guess”

“What? Are you superman in disguise?”

He smiled grimly “Far from superman, I can tell you that plus I thought it was Peter Parker yesterday?”

“Why can’t you tell me? Who cares they're both super heroes”

“It’s a secret”

“Secrets are stupid and they come with a cost”

“Not for me”

Luhan sighed in frustration; it felt like Sehun was trying to say something to him without physically saying it.

If only he could figure out what.