The Brown Eyes

The Spinster's Curse

*banner by nabi_chi

---

Jiyong smiled as she watched the girl move graciously across the water. He never met a person who was very eager and willing to learn. She was a fast learner too, which made it easier. In just a matter of time, she can swim all by herself – graciously. Although he felt proud of himself and the girl, somehow, he was also disappointed with how quick she learned how to swim. He was rather enjoying being in close proximity with her especially the parts where he could rest his hands on her waist or arms to guide her. He sighed upon remembering how smooth and flawless her skin was. Indeed, she is a sight to behold. But it would have been better if she was smiling or laughing.
 
“Sandara!” he called. The girl paused and blinked at him. “Come here” he said. She blinked again and submerged into the water. He could not stop himself from chuckling upon realizing that the girl was showing off her new found skill. He waited for her to emerge again but time ticked by, still no sign of her anywhere. He straightened up, a slow building panic started to boil inside him. He was about to submerge himself into the water too but Sandara suddenly appeared in front of him.
 
“Do you really have this habit of disappearing and appearing as you please?”
 
She tilted her head to the side. “I can stay longer underwater than you” she said matter-of-factly.
 
“I noticed” he dryly said. “But you should not disappear just like than and appear anytime you like. It’s scaring the wits out of me”
 
“I am not scaring the wits out of you” she said.
 
He groaned and palmed his face. Her beauty could amount to how annoying she can be. “What, you’re merely DISTRACTING me again?”
 
“No” she blinked. “I am merely showing you that I can stay underwater longer than you can”
 
Jiyong grimaced. The girl was indeed showing off. Should he laugh or should he be annoyed with it? He was quite certain that it was the first time the girl showed off like that. “You are unbelievable, oh yes you are”
 
“Why did you call me?” she asked.
 
He paused. Despite his annoyance and irritation a while ago, he smiled. Indeed, the girl is a fast learner. He wondered if she’ll learn how to smile or laugh as fast as she learned how to swim and ask a question. “I was thinking of-” he started but stopped as Sandara whirled around. Her head was whipping here and there. “What’s wrong?” he asked.
 
“We need to go” she said.
 
“But why?” he asked as he followed her out of the river.
 
“The sun will rise in a few hours” she said. “We need to go”
 
“Will you slow down a bit?”
 
“I cannot”
 
“Fine!” he hissed as he jogged to keep up with her. As they were back in the dark forest, Jiyong did not feel as scared as he was during the time when he entered into it. Unsure about the reason, he could only think of his annoyance winning over his fear. He could not fully comprehend her. One moment, she could be bearable then she’d transform into an annoying sore thumb the next.
 
Upon getting out of the forest unscathed, he sighed in relief. Despite himself, he turned to the girl. “Bye” he said. “See you. . . when I see you”
 
“You should not say goodbye if you still plan to see me” she said.
 
“That’s not what-” he started but stopped. He sighed wearily. “Never mind. I’ll walk along now”
 
“Stay safe” she said.
 
Jiyong nodded. Without saying another word, he turned to leave. The girl stayed where she was as she watched him leave. As soon as he was out of sight, she then looked up at the sky. She stared at it for a long time before heading back to the cottage. She settled herself on her makeshift bed on the floor and closed her eyes. It did not take her long to fall asleep. Unknown to her, a pair of eyes slowly retreated back into the dark forest.
 
 
 
 
It was surprising how Sandara managed to stand up and attend to her chores even before the sun rose up considering the lateness she settled in. she was humming to herself again but it was a different tune, it was gaily. This behavior did not escape her adopted mother’s notice. The woman closely watched the girl’s face. Nothing has changed. Her face was as usual, blank. But a stranger live energy seemed to radiate from her. She sighed and shook her head. Sandara might be innocent on some things but she isn’t a fool, surely, there is nothing to worry about. She should not give other meaning to how her daughter acts, it could be that the girl is simply pleased and satisfied doing her duties and chores. Yes, that would be it, she silently thought.
 
“Mother” Sandara called. “Where are my real parents?”
 
The woman paused. Her eyes seemed to pop out from their sockets as she stared wide eyed at her daughter. What has happened? What made Sandara ask that question? More importantly, when did she learn to ask a question? The silence stretched between them as Sandara blinked up at the woman, waiting for an answer. She tilted her head to the side, silently wondering why her adopted mother’s taking a long time to answer.
 
“They are. . . dead” the woman finally answered.
 
“What ill has befallen them?”
 
A frown now marred so deep in the woman’s forehead. She could not quite believe her ears. Something must have happened. Sandara has never behaved anywhere near like this. She has always known how curious the girl was about some things but had Sandara asked her a question. Looking at it at another person’s perspective, one would think it is quite normal for a curious girl to ask questions most especially about her past or her parents. But no, Sandara was not just any ordinary curious girl. For years, the girl remained quiet and subdued. So, why was she asking questions NOW?
 
“You have not asked me a question before” she quietly said, thoughts swirling around her head in a confusing way.
 
“I am merely curious”
 
“I understand your thirst to learn about things you do not know and understand but if our Mother has not granted you the knowledge and permission to know just yet, then it isn’t the time for it. You will learn, in due time about everything if our Mother pleases to show it to you”
 
Sandara did not utter a word again but the woman watched her closely, a slow building fear hammering inside her chest. Theories, suspicions and unwanted thoughts filled her mind. She just hoped that Sandara has kept her word to the brotherhood, to their Mother. If not, she might be. . . .
 
For a moment, the woman was suddenly torn between her love and loyalty to the brotherhood and to their Mother and her motherly love for Sandara.
 
 
Meanwhile, Jiyong could not seem to shake the smile off his face. Much to his surprise, he found himself humming to a happy tune. He has been a big fan of music but he was more into listening than humming or singing. He chuckled at the memory of Sandara dropping herself into the river like a dead log. She was miraculously innocent that it never fails to amuse him. He wondered what it would take him to spend one whole day with her. Whether he liked it or not, Sandara drives his boredom away, she constantly kept him amuse that he found himself craving for her company more and more every second. There are also things he’d like to teach her, like smiling and laughing. A smile curved his lips at the thought. Sandara. . . she’s a beauty to behold. How beautiful could she be when she smile or laugh? It would be beyond words, for sure.
 
He sighed as he glanced at the clock. He could not explain it but he’s quite certain Sandara would not want to meet him at daytime. Eventhough he prefers to meet her with the sun up in the sky, he also could not resist the sense of rebelliousness brought about the night. But there was nothing else left to do in this town. If not probably for his curiosity, surprising amusement and momentary agitation with the girl, he would probably have packed his things and went straight back home.
 
He scowled at the memory of home, particularly his father. He was so tired of him always ordering him what to do, maneuvering his life and deciding what he says is the best for him. he would not deny that he wasn’t the perfect and ideal son his father and his father’s associates expects him to be but then again, freedom is a right and privilege to every human being. So what would his difference be? Not wanting to dwell on the past, he shook the thoughts away and glanced at the clock once again. He suddenly came to a decision: day or night, he’s going to see Sandara as he pleases. And he’s going to the hill after lunch.
 
 
 
Sandara was once again, sitting on the ground under the shade of a large tree. Her expert hands worked tirelessly. She was carving a bird perched on a stand. Her adopted mother, though quite not well yet, has left for the forest. However absorbed she may be to her task, her senses remained, as it always has been, on alert. Her hands paused. As she lifted her eyes and head, she saw Jiyong heading her direction, wearing a lazy smile. Her head tilted to the side automatically, her eyes silently inspecting him. He was wearing a plain white shirt and faded jeans. As she looked back to his face, she saw his eyes staring quite intently at her. For some unknown reason, something inside her jumped. She blinked, wondering what it could possibly be. It was so foreign to her that it left her impossibly. . . confused. Unable to find the right words to describe it or find a reasonable explanation to the phenomena, she regarded it as mere tiredness. Yes, she concluded. She was probably tired at the moment.
 
“Hi!” Jiyong greeted the moment he reached her. He joined her under the tree, crossing his legs as he settled himself beside her.
 
“I told you not to come here anymore”
 
“You did” he nodded. “But I’m bored and I don’t have anyone to talk to. So. . . you’re carving again, huh?”
 
“You should leave” she said.
 
“You’re being rather rude” he counted, shaking his head in disapproval.
 
“My mother might see you”
 
“So?” he snorted. “We are not doing anything wrong, are we? Why, are you not allowed to have friends or to talk to anyone?”
 
Sandara blinked at him. “I am. . . .” she started, staring at him. “. . . confused”
 
“Confused?” he repeated. “With what?”
 
She tore her gaze away from him. She stared down at the unfinished product on her hand and blinked. “I am. . . forbidden to talk or befriend anyone from the town but you are not originally from town”
 
“True” he nodded. “There is nothing to be confused of. Since I’m not originally from town and native townsfolk, we can be friends. But why are you forbidden in the first place?”
 
There was a long pause. Then, Sandara quietly said, “Men are cruel and heartless”
 
“I beg to disagree” he countered. “Not all men are cruel and heartless. Mind you, women can be both, too”
 
“I am still confused” she confessed.
 
“It isn’t really that confusing” he assured her. “I can tell your mother that I’m only here for vacation so she does not have to worry about us being. . . . well, there is nothing to worry about”
 
“That is not what I am confused about” she told him, her eyes unblinkingly on him again.
 
“Then what is?” he asked, frowning at her. “To be honest, YOU are making me confuse”
 
Sandara tilted her head to the side, still staring unblinkingly at him. Then, she blinked. She had never seen or stared at a young man’s face before, especially not this close. She could not quite explain it or describe it but something has changed. . .  inside her. She blinked again and wondered about how his eyes seemed lighter today, so much different compared to the day when she first saw him. Surprisingly, she could still remember it so vividly, that day when she first saw him. That day. . . his eyes looked as if they were made from steel – hard and cold. But today. . .  his eyes are of that melting brown, smoldering almost as both stared back at her unwaveringly.
 
“Your eyes are brown” she blurted. “The color of earth”
 
He stared at her in disbelief. “Err. . . you’re confused with the color of my eyes?” he laughed. “Why should you be? You’ve got brown eyes too and they’re more gorgeous than mine. They’re warmer to look at, as a matter of fact”
 
“Your eyes. . . they confused me. I do not understand it myself, either”
 
There was a long pause as Jiyong tried to make out an emotion from her face. But same as before, her face remained blank though her eyes looked alive. His heart started hammering against his chest. Not understanding any of it, he started leaning forward, his eyes travelling back and forth to her eyes and lips. She suddenly started blinking fast as his face drew nearer and nearer. He paused for a moment. But when he felt the warm air that came through her nose on his cheek, it blew away the moment of doubt and inhibitions he had. He closed his eyes, carefully and oh-so gently, he brushed his lips on hers once.  Slowly, he pulled away and lifted his eyes to her. To his great surprise and astonishment, Sandara’s face was not as blank as it usually is. Finally and probably for the first time, an emotion broke through her blank face. With her eyes wide open and flushed cheeks, she stared at him wearing a look of surprise on her face.