The Blue River

The Spinster's Curse
*banner by daisuke
----

 

Sandara was still awake despite the lateness of the night. Her thoughts wandered back to the clearing. The girl’s face and voice pleading for her to protect the man she loves invaded her thoughts. The look on the girl’s face pleading for the life of the man disturbed her more than the look of death on the traitor right after the silver dagger was buried in her chest, piercing her heart and causing her death. Taking the life of the girl did not bother Sandara at all but she can’t seem to shake the last words of the traitor off her mind.
 
She pushed herself up in a sitting position. Her ears automatically caught the soft snores coming from the only room in the little dwelling. She jumped to her feet and headed towards the door. The door made a creaking sound as she opened and closed it. Without glancing behind her, she started running down the hill and into the town. She does not fully understand it but something odd was happening to her heart.
 
She pulled to a break upon reaching the place where Jiyong stays. Her head tilted to the side upon seeing him waiting beside the closed door. He must have felt her presence because he lifted his head up. A smile curved his lips upon seeing her. But the smile was not of pure amusement, it was mixed with irritation, disbelief and impatience.
 
“I’ve been waiting for you” he said, pushing himself off the wall.
 
“Follow me” she said.
 
“What took you so long?” he asked.
 
“You sound eager to see me”
 
“I can’t understand that myself, either” he chuckled. “You’re not a witch, are you?”
 
“No”
 
“That’s a relief” he sighed. “Where are we heading?”
 
“To the river”
 
“Oh, there’s a river here? What are going to do there?”
 
“It seemed right to go there tonight”
 
“And why is that?”
 
“I do not know”
 
Once again, Jiyong was caught between amusement and annoyance. It was refreshing to talk to Sandara because of her honesty but at times, he finds her honest annoying. He was not sure if she’s being truly honest or darn ignorant. It would be easy to fool ignorant and innocent girls like her but just like before, there’s something sinister about her that is making him more cautious of his words and actions.
 
He gathered his jacket together as a strong wind past by. He glanced sideways at her and saw her gave a tiny shiver but that was it. He can’t help but compare Sandara to the night, where everyone seemed to be resting – there’s quietness and calmness everytime night descends, it was almost lifeless. But at night, there are night creatures like owls and the chirping insects while Sandara’s just. . . . blank.
 
“Don’t you know how to smile or grimace?” he asked out of nowhere.
 
She blinked. “No”
 
“Why not?”
 
She blinked several times and just stared blankly ahead. “It is hard” she finally answered.
 
“No, it is not” he argued. “Smiling and grimacing are as simple as lifting your arms”
 
“It is hard for me” she said, keeping a slow pace. Then, she blinked up ahead. “you speak so differently from everyone”
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“You ask too many questions”
 
He laughed lightly. “I’m not really sure if I should be amused or annoyed with you. You’re very different from the girls I’ve met, too”
 
“Everyone is different” she quietly commented.
 
“True” he agreed. “And I just noticed, you don’t ask anything about me. Why is that, hmm?”
 
“I do not ask questions”
 
Jiyong exhaled, trying to keep his patience on hold. “I noticed” he said. “And I’m wondering why that is”
 
She was silent.
 
“Just give it a try” he encouraged. “Ask me my favorite color”
 
“Your favorite color is”
 
“No, you have to raise the tone at the end” he said. “Like this, “What is your favorite color?’ or, ‘your favorite color is?’ the tone at the end differentiate a question from a simple sentence”
 
She turned silent again. Jiyong glanced at her. As always, he can’t get anything from her face. It was just blank, consistently blank.
 
“What is your favorite. . . color?”
 
He smiled. Eventhough she sounded a bit awkward, it was an improvement. “That’s right” he praised. “You sounded a bit awkward but that’s okay. All you need is practice”
 
“What is your favorite color?” she repeated. “What is your favorite color? What is your favorite color? What is your favorite color? What is your favorite color? What is your favorite color? What is-?”
 
“Err, you don’t have to repeat the same question over and over again. You can practice with other questions”
 
“I am not practicing” she blinked. “I am asking you”
 
He stared at her for a moment, then he chuckled. “Oh, right. My favorite color is blue”
 
“Blue is the color of the sky” she said.
 
“Yes. How about you? What’s your favorite color?”
 
“None” she simply said.
 
“Okay” he went on. “How about the color that interests you?”
 
She blinked a couple of times. “Red” she answered. “The color of blood”
 
Unable to explain it, Jiyong’s hair rose and a gentle shiver ran down his spine. There were so many things he’d like to know about Sandara but he decided to take it one step at a time. She was not the type of girl who will easily give what he seeks for. Sometimes he wonders if she was just playing with her innocence and ignorance to make him feel curious and uncomfortable. If she really is plating, she’s playing it well because she got his full attention now. Oh, he could go and make friends with the other girls his age in town; he could even talk to some boys his age but none of those interest him. All day, he couldn’t stop thinking who and what Sandara Park’s made of. He wanted to know why she acts the way she does, why she lives the way she does, why people were so distant and cold to her and mother and many more. She speaks differently too, that he noticed. She speaks too formal that sometimes he cannot help but think that she was born from the pages of a classic novel. Her views about life are also intriguing plus the idea of her not knowing how to smile or grimace made her more. . . mysterious and unique. She said it was hard for her to smile or even grimace. Why is that? Did she experience traumatic childhood or was she raised up that way? If it is the latter, then why? Why would a parent want her child to be lifeless and blank?
 
He was brought back to his senses upon seeing that they were about to enter the dark forest. “I thought we’re going to the river?” he voiced out.
 
“Yes”
 
“Then why are we heading towards the forest?”
 
“The river’s inside the jungle”
 
“R-really?” he swallowed. “There aren’t any wild animals here, are there?”
 
“The forest is the home of animals” she said, stopping in her tracks to face him. “You are afraid”
 
“Who wouldn’t?” he breathed. “It’s late at night and it’s really dark”
 
“Nothing would harm us” she consoled him.
 
“How can you be so sure?”
 
“Our mother would not allow it” she said in a tone that suggests she’s speaking of a mere fact. “Follow me”
 
Jiyong looked left and right. He does not usually get scared but there was something about the forest that’s telling him he wasn’t welcome in its midst. It was also dark, what’s with the heavy branches hiding the moon from his view. He could hear some scuffling and other sounds he’d rather not describe and think about. He almost jumped backwards when he heard something hair-raising in front of him. As he looked around, he realized that the hair-raising sound was actually a humming sound. Sandara was humming a tune that he can closely relate to the song of the dead people, if ever there is one. Just like the time when she suddenly sang out of nowhere, the forest went eerily quiet that Sandara’s humming seemed like echoing. It was like a hum of a ghost, of someone who’s been dead for a long time but was trapped and lost inside the forest. It was haunting. He wasn’t sure if she just made up that tune or if the melody truly existed but he was certain of one thing: he hasn’t heard that tune anywhere before.
 
His ears suddenly pricked the same time he saw a dark shadow walked by at the corner of his eye. He quickly glanced to the left but there was nothing but darkness. He looked around again but he saw no one. Shrugging it off, he looked straight up ahead again only to fin an empty and dark path ahead of him. The humming grew louder – it was as if Sandara was standing next to him. He gritted his teeth from annoyance as he can’t figure out where the sound was coming from. He scanned the whole place again. His heart stilled as far ahead, a pale face stood out from the dark forest like a beacon. He inhaled and walked up to her.
 
“Where have you been?” he demanded. “You suddenly disappeared”
 
“No, I did not”
 
His nose flared but he contained his annoyance. No, he cannot afford to pick up a fight with her simply because first, she was a girl. Second, he wasn’t sure how to get out safe and sound from the forest. “Fine!” he breathed. “Go on, lead the way. And oh, I’d appreciate it if you stay quiet than hum or sing”
 
“I am merely distracting you”
 
“Are you mocking me?”
 
“No” she said. “Come, we are nearing to the river”
 
He scowled as Sandara started walking again. She was distracting him? How convenient. He was distracted, sure. He was already scared then she’d suddenly hum a tune like that? Who would not be distracted with that? Even the forest was distracted. Why was he tolerating this again? Oh right, he was curious about her. And where did his curiosity led him? Inside a dark forest.
 
Great. Everything was great and going according to his plans.
 
He was in a bad mood but Sandara did not notice. Or maybe, she chose to ignore it. Or rather, she simply did not care. He cannot fully understand why he seemed so interested in her when all she ever did was annoy him, though he was not certain of she was doing it on purpose or not. Out of nowhere, he started hearing a gentle stream. He instantly became more alert of his surroundings.
 
“Is that the river I’m hearing?” he queried.
 
“Yes” she answered without glancing back at him.
 
They completed the journey in equal silence. Jiyong could only sigh. There was nothing extraordinary about the river. On the contrary, it looked way too ordinary to him. He expected something more but clearly, he was in for disappointment. He threw Sandara a furtive glance. He frowned upon seeing her climbed into a big rock. Upon reaching the top, she walked to the edge. With arms firmly set at her sides and with eyes closed, she leaned forward and dropped herself lifelessly to the river – facedown. There was a soft splash, almost as if a leaf has been thrown to the water. His mouth dropped open. Despite himself, he started laughing. The girl looked like a wooden log pushed to the river. She was so stupidly stiff and lifeless that it actually turned out funny.
 
He was still laughing his head off when her head emerged from the water. Jiyong can’t help but noticed what seemed to be an electric charge in her eyes. She looked. . . alive. It was then that he realized that she was excited and that’s the best expression of excitement she could pull off. The next thin he noticed was her hair. He was actually surprised that her hair can be ‘tamed’. He truly believed that her hair was. . . waterproof. Now that her hair wasn’t bushy anymore as it almost clings to her face, he then saw how beautiful she really was. No, she was not just simply beautiful or unearthly beautiful. She looked like a GODDESS of beauty and the river.
 
As if hypnotized, he removed his slippers and slowly walked to the river. He walked straight up. The water felt cold against his skin but he ignored it. He was too captivated with Sandara’s beauty that he did not take her of his surroundings. Upon reaching her, he blinked.
 
“You’re so beautiful” he whispered. But she just blinked back at him. He was still taking all of her in when she suddenly looked up.
 
“The moon is up” she said, looking back at him again. “Look around you”
 
Unwillingly, he did. As he did, he gasped. The river. . . it was not as ordinary as he originally thought. With the help of the moon’s light, the river glowed a shade of sky blue, it was almost sparkling.
 
“Your favorite color” Sandara said. “The river is beautiful”
 
“It is” he agreed, still in awe. “And so are you”
 
She tilted her head to the side. She has never looked more alive like this before.
 
“It is brighter over there” she said instead, pointing to her right side. Jiyong looked at the part where she was pointing. True, up ahead, there was a circle part where the river glowed brighter.
 
“Let’s go there” he suggested.
 
Sandara shook her head. “It is deeper there. My feet cannot reach the floor”
 
“Let’s swim” he said.
 
“I do not know how to swim” she blinked.
 
“You don’t?” he asked in surprise. She dropped herself facedown to the river a while ago but she actually didn’t know how to swim?
 
She shook her head in response.
 
“I’ll teach you”