part four: danger

Baby Steps

part four - danger

[x]

 

 

Kris stares at the beautiful scenery as their car approaches the beach. Jongdae jumps out of excitement once Minseok decelerates the car, earning himself a scold from the older because it is dangerous to jump out recklessly from a moving car. Kris just sighs when Jongdae shots him ‘help-me-Kris’ look and proceeds to unload their things from the car. After a good minute of lecturing, Minseok decides to forgive him and just tells him softly to be careful next time.

 

The sky is just great, a soothing combination of aqua and milky white. The clouds are hanging lazily on the sky, moving back and forth as slow as it can be. Sometimes Kris sees seagulls, white seagulls, just to add the scenery more beach-y. Topping the list of ‘beautiful things I have to draw of’ is the sea itself. Kris feels no words are adequate enough to describe its beauty; it’s simply breathtaking.

 

Kris sits down on the soft surface of thick, almost golden sands. Actually Minseok has spread out a mat to sit on, but Kris is too busy admiring the sea. He leans his weight on both of his hand which is stretched out behind his back and closes his eyes to feel the breeze and smell the salty air of sea. Suddenly he feels splash of water onto his handsome face and he jerks his eyes open. Jongdae is jumping—again—into the sea and it causes the water to splash on Kris’ face. Just then Minseok is seen running to the sea and dips his body into the warm water until the lower parts of his body is covered in water.

 

Jongdae spots the older and waving his hand vigorously to grab Duizhang’s attention. Kris just smiles and waves back to Jongdae who is now in the middle of water war with his boyfriend. Kris chuckles at the thought of how cute they are and lies on his back. If only he met someone he can give his colors to.

 

The beach isn’t packed—it gives off solitude aura on the contrary—but Kris is drawn to this dumdumdumdumdum feel in his heart. Why is my heart beating like this?

 

At the other side of the beach, the west wing of the coast to be exact, a bloody red Chevrolet Aveo comes to a smooth stop. The back passenger door is opened abruptly by an excited Kyungsoo, jaws dropping to the ground and eyes widening until they’re as big as volley balls. Kai plants a swift kiss to Luhan’s lips before telling him to help Yixing unloading their belongings.

 

“Just avoid falling to the sea from too much excitement, Soo,” Kai chuckles at his best friend. Kyungsoo’s thick lips twitch to an adorable pout afterwards. Kai ignores that pout, because honestly, Kyungsoo’s pouts are nothing compared to Luhan’s. “When is Junmyeon-hyung going to come?”

 

Kyungsoo answers the question as he takes off his jeans, revealing a dark blue swimming trunk underneath it, “Soon after lunch.”

 

Yixing comes out with a mat on his left hand. Kyungsoo reaches his hand to help him. “Let me,” he says and Yixing gladly complies.

“You can go first and find a good spot to rest,” Kai says to his hyungs, “I’ll wait Lulu bring the foods.”

 

“Okidoki,” Yixing chirps happily and rushes to the beach with Kyungsoo.

 

Kai snakes his arms to Luhan’s petite waist and rests his chin on his shoulder. “Care to tell me why were you kissing Kyungie at my presence?”

 

Luhan kisses the side of Kai’s head before answering, “He was sulking from the pranks I pulled on him before.”

 

“But still, you’re only allowed to kiss me,” Kai smirks.

 

“Possessive ,” Luhan laughs.

 

“That you love.”

 

“Cheesy!” Luhan pinches the bridge of Kai’s nose and showers his lips with small teasing kisses, enough to make Kai’s eyes darken in lust. “Junmyeon told me he’s going to meet his friend here and I think it will be the best time to tease Soo again.”

 

“His friend…?”

 

Luhan nods. “Yeah, I met his friend before at Junmyeon’s workplace. His name was… Minseok? Kim Minseok, maybe.”

 

Kai’s eyebrows rise in recollection. “Ah, that chubby co-worker I saw you talking to that day?” Luhan nods again.

 

“I heard from himself Minseok is living with his best friend and his boyfriend. His boyfriend happens to specialize in singing performance like I do. His name is Jongdae, sometimes he goes by Chen at campus. And I don’t really recall what Minseok said about his best friend other than his name. His name is… Chris? Kris?”

 

“Wait, do you mean Kris as in Kris Li Jiaheng?” Kai’s jaw drops in shock.

 

“NAH! That’s his name! Kris, yes! Kris!” Luhan exclaims. “Hold on, do you know him?”

 

Kai scoffs and shots his boyfriend a ‘, please’ look. “Everyone majoring in Dance Performance will not say ‘I don’t know him.’ He’s popular and he has a reason for it.”

 

“So why is he so popular? You, too, sound like you worship him,” Luhan accuses.

 

Kai rolls his eyes. “He’s deaf, Luhan. And mute, might I add. Well he doesn’t dance better than me or Taeminnie or Eunhyuk-hyung but still, he’s great. He’s been an inspiration for us, dancers. I don’t know how he can dance without knowing the music, yet his moves fit the beats. He’s… magical.”

 

“Wow,” Luhan breathes, “just wow.”

 

“…And, I think…” Kai pauses and stares over Luhan’s shoulder. “He can change Yixing.”

 

“What do you mean change Yixing?”

 

“Well, Yixing is a pessimist brat that sometimes pisses me off with his pessimistic whims, however, he’s lonely. He needs something, or maybe somebody, just to make him a better person. He is my friend and I don’t want his life to be wasted just like this.”

 

Luhan doesn’t say anything for a minute. Kai taps his foot on the ground, waiting him to say something.

 

“It’s weird to hear those things are actually coming out from your mouth,” Luhan says, receives a fake punch on the arms later from Kai, “but you’re right. So we set them up…?”

 

***

 

“Yixing, why don’t you go explore the coast while we’re setting everything?” Luhan advises. He’s busying himself with arranging the plates and foods and everything he can touch so Yixing won’t have to lay his hands to that.

 

“Yeah, Kyungie has to pick Junmyeon up and bring him here… so you will have to be alone,” Kai ‘guiltily’ scratches his head. Luhan bites his inner lip to prevent the smile from forming in his small lips.

 

“Junmyeon will be arriving in less than five minutes; Soo, you better hurry up!” Luhan pushes the owl eyed boy towards the direction of the car.

 

Yixing hesitates for a while, but when he sees the encouragement in Luhan’s eyes, he just sighs and stands up. “Alright…”

 

Luhan and Kai smiles at each other (without Yixing knowing) and pretend to be busy with the foods. “Just don’t go too close to the cliff, okay? It’s slippery up there,” Kai warns, “and try walk until the eastern part of the coast, it’s not really far from here. Maybe a mile, more or less.”

 

“Just be careful, okay?” Luhan says warmly.

 

“I’ll be going then,” Yixing drags his crutch forwards, “see you later, guys.”

 

The Chinese boy strolls alone along the desolate beach. He looks around, left and right, admiring the view and sometimes hums a song. He spots the cliff Luhan said before. The cliff does look dangerous and slippery to slip on after seeing the mosses covering almost each inch of the sharp edged cliff.

 

It feels nice actually, he thinks, to be alone in such a beautiful place.

 

Yixing is too stunned by the scenery that he isn’t aware of the path he is stepping on. He carelessly walks on the rocky lane that leads him to the cliff. The dangerous and slippery cliff.

 

He continues to hum the song from earlier,

 

In the raining world

I walked without an umbrella

Your eyes, following the light from your eyes

 

For a while, he stops and sits on the nearby flat surfaced rock. It’s already pretty far from the place the others have settled in. Yixing doesn’t know how far, but he’s sure it’s just far. He hesitates whether to continue the stroll or go back and enjoy the brunch.

 

Instead, he shuts his eyes close and sings again.

 

Through the forest of buildings in the sky, I will fly

Everything you believe is reality

Scattered beneath your feet are hundreds of millions of stars

 

“It’s not like I have the chance to visit this place every day,” he says to himself before getting up, “maybe I do need a vacation, after all.”

 

Yixing goes forth and much further to the point he realizes that he isn’t at the beach anymore. Well technically he still is, but not at the beach. “Oh God,” he gasps in shock. “You’re such an idiot, Zhang Yixing.”

 

Well no one can actually tell how he ends up at the cliff. At the top of the cliff, to be precise.

 

I can just go back and go down—

 

Go down? Go down by what?

 

There is nothing he can use to go down. The only way to go down is jump from the cliff to the sea. Not to mention the sea is currently raging, so it looks like he will really die if he falls. So, he’s stuck.

 

“Luhan… anyone…” he mumbles, his eyes brimmed with tears, “Kai… Kyungsoo…”

 

He doesn’t bring his phone with him. If only he does, maybe he can be rescued. And Zhang Yixing is practically alone at the top of cliff; more or less than two hundred feet below is a sea, poignant rocks are the other option if he doesn’t want to drown. In other way, there’s no escape.

 

Yixing starts to panic and walks back and forth, desperately trying how the hell he could get there. His actions are just futile.

 

Oh my.

 

Somehow Yixing loses his balance and trips over a moss, a small freaking amount of green moss, and falls.