part one: flaw

Baby Steps

part one: flaw

[x]

 

“You can use the same tempo all over again,” Luhan sighs, “can’t go wrong with that.”

 

“But the intro won’t match the tempo, Lu.”

 

“Yixing,” Luhan puts an arm over Yixing’s shoulder. “You’ve been working on this composition for three months. Get a rest. I know the deadline is near but it’s pointless if you’re overworking yourself and the outcome comes bad.”

 

Yixing puts the guitar aside and rests his head on his arm. “I’m sorry, Luhan.”

 

“Don’t be,” Luhan assures the younger boy, “you’re just too eager about this, I can understand that. Since you agreed to give it a shot, I completely support you, Yixing. I’m not going to leave you.”

 

The younger cracks a small smile and squeezes Luhan’s tiny hand. They’re like real brothers, although they're just sharing an apartment, nothing else. Yixing was troubled with his life and Luhan helped, that’s the start line of their story. Neither of them is in love with the other, because they simply agree each other’s presence is enough and no feelings are necessary to involve.

 

“Do you want me to get you something?” Luhan asks as he grabs his wallet and jacket, “Kai and I are going to have lunch at the café Junmyeon works at.”

 

“A mocha latte will do.”

 

“Okay,” Luhan smiles and stops right before closing the door. “Kyungsoo already made two portions of kimchi fried rice for us, but you can have them both or give one for Baekhyun if he comes to practice the song. I’ll put the key—“

 

“In the mail box, I get it.”

 

“—and I’ll be back in an hour or two, if Kai doesn’t drag me to his place. If anything happens and I don’t pick up the call, you can call Kai. Or perhaps Junmyeon. I have restocked the fridge in case you get hungry and want some snacks. Don’t forget to—“

 

“call Sehun whether he forgets to make the report. I said I got it, mother.”

 

Luhan laughs at the last part. He bids farewell before closing the door and cracks into another giggle, whispering something like ‘Yixing’s so cute sometimes’ which earns him “I heard that!” as a response.

 

Yixing gets up and leaving his room and starts to check if Luhan forgets something to tell him. He opens the mail box and finds the only apartment key (that Luhan refused to make a duplicate of because he was worried if someone stole the key). Then Yixing shuffles to the kitchen and finds a plastic container which smells like kimchi. It must be Kyungsoo’s kimchi fried rice, he thinks. He hasn’t eaten anything since morning (except a dreadfully sweet chocolate cupcake he ate a few hours prior, given by Park Chanyeol, an owner of a bakery downtown) so he decides to heat it up and eat it as a very late breakfast.

 

He opens the fridge to get some pomegranate juice only to find the fridge full of foods and drinks—Luhan. Luhan can’t stand having an empty fridge, so he always makes sure to stock the fridge although it’s still quite full. It’s helpful, though. Whenever the boys came and devouring the foods they provided like a pack of hungry hyenas, they always have some more to give (or to eat for themselves).

 

The microwave lets out a loud “beep” and that’s the cue for Yixing to get it. As the nice smell of the kimchi fried rice fills the air, Yixing goes to the living room and proceeds to eat there. He picks a channel which its music show is currently on air and attacks his fried rice as if he’s not going to eat tomorrow. He makes a mental note to text Kyungsoo thank you and if he can marry him because Luhan’s cooking skill .

 

After washing the dish, Yixing dries his hand with a clean kitchen towel and takes out his phone. He searches for a certain name on the contact list and when he finds it, he dials the number. “Hello?” A groggy, tired voice replies on the other line.

 

“Hey, Sehun, this is Yixing.”

 

“What now? I just got three hours of sleep and you innocently disturbed my beauty sleep. If I have eye bags tomorrow, I blame you.”

 

“It’s not like it’s going to affect any of your handsomeness, Mr. Grumpy—courtesy of Luhan. Your brother tells me to remind you about the report,” Yixing casually answered.

 

Sehun groans. “It’s still due freaking next month. Can’t he see I’m practically losing my life span working on the composition he demanded me to make? It kills me every day.”

 

Yixing chuckles wittily. Sehun sometimes is a drama queen, but Yixing rather not to bring it up because man, looks do kill, if Sehun is the case. “You know how he is,” Yixing says. “Just let me know if it’s complete, okay.”

 

“I will. And let me sleep for another hour and I’ll love you forever.”

 

Yixing fakes a choked sound. “Oh my God, Sehun, I never knew—“

 

“Idiot,” is a response the maknae gives Yixing.

 

“Of course Sehun, you can sleep again and I love you too,” Yixing coos. He laughs again when he hears chains of protests coming from the maknae. “Bye, Sehun.”

 

After he hangs up, he turns off his phone and actually contemplating that Luhan is right. He is overworking himself. Well it isn’t the first time though. Yixing is just jumpy at those times whenever he feels he can’t do anything right, ‘Yixing--at-everything-day’ as Luhan declared at the first time Yixing overworked himself.

 

Yixing decides to sleep and takes this rare chance to get an actual rest, or maybe doing something entertaining that he hasn’t been able to do since him, Sehun and his older brother (that looks like his younger brother) were chosen to take part in the special project for their university’s charity event. He takes off his brown cardigan (a birthday present from Kyungsoo—well he actually liked the red one but… who in the world could reject a gift from Do Kyungsoo?) and sits on his bed, legs dangling at its edge. Yixing stretches before pulling his right leg on the bed and lies down. The crutch leaning on the wall is long forgotten as he enters a dream land of unicorns and, strangely, dragons.

 

***

 

What are you looking at?

 

Kris flashes a smile as he shakes his head. Minseok just shrugs as he continues to scribble down a note. Minseok’s handwriting is actually neat and readable. Just like Minseok himself; kind and easy to read. Well people say you can tell a person’s character from his handwriting turns out to be true.

 

The younger of the two picks up his forgotten book, a five-hundreds-and-seventy-nine pages book that is ‘Jongdae-freak-out worthy’ because the younger really hates reading thick books. With his slender fingers Kris repositions his glasses, preventing it from falling from his perfectly sculptured nose. Before he can even finish the second paragraph, a light blue dragon-shaped memo falls to his book. Without looking, Kris can tell it’s from Minseok.

 

Zitao is checking you out again.

 

The checked-out person laughs silently at the words, but quickly grabs his pen to write back, Oh come on, Baozi! You know he has feeling for you, not for me.

 

The two of them know that writing and replying letters (which content is about boys) like this is considered girly, not manly, but neither of them cares. Nonverbal communication is harmless. Minseok slips the memo back into Kris’ book. It writes,

 

Are you blind? He was practically banging his head off at the wall in ecstasy when you helped him out at the campus bazaar. AND bought him a panda doll afterwards.

 

Kris literally stabs the note with his pen, accidentally ripping it and he has to get another one.

 

I bought him the panda doll because he helped me out too, you dolt. It was kind of mutual. I helped him, he helped me back. Since you’re too selfish to help people out, I guess you can’t understand what I am trying to say.

 

I’m NOT selfish!

 

Just kidding, Baozi. You know my heart only belong to you ^^

 

Minseok snickers when Kris adds an emoticon to his message. Seriously, he writes, if Jongdae finds this out, I’m going to be a dead meat by tomorrow.

 

As long as it’s not me =D
 

you, Duizhang.

 

Oooh I love you too Baozi <3

 

Shut up and just finish your god damn book.

 

I’ve read this book twice. Don’t need to read it again.

 

So why the hell are you reading it?! Minseok’s message is written harshly, the sharp edges of each letters are emphasizing his annoyance.

 

Because I have the right of it.

 

 Minseok flails his arms in frustration. GAHH just shut up and listen to the professor!

 

I can’t even talk, Baozi.

 

============

Hello this is 12flawlessidiots! And right now I came back with my newest (and first) Kray fic. This is the first chapter. What do you think, guys? I really look forward to your comments! And I will try updating Bittersweet You since my term examination has officially ended last week. Just wait, okay ^^ And this is the dragon shaped memo Kris and Xiumin are using!! Well it's actually a memo holder, not a memo, but just imagine it as a memo kekeke it won't look much different tho

Until next time,

12flawlessidiots