Chapter 8

Love Comes Softly
"And that is how you find the limit of a function. For homework this weekend I would like you guys to complete pages 36 through 38 even numbers only. Are there any questions?" Mr. Jang  paused for a moment but no one raised their hand. "Well then, there is a teachers meeting today so after school self-study time is cancelled, which means you guys can leave after this class is over." the bell than rang signaling the end of class. "Okay then see you guys on Monday "

  

"It's so good to have after school study canceled.  Between school and music, I haven't had any free time." Jong In said as he began packing up his school materials.

  

  "I don't know how you and Suzy do it.  I spend so much time focused on school, that I barely have time for anything else. Of course I'm still trying to reach my career goals whereas you guys have already started to accomplish yours. "

  

"Yea it gets hard sometimes.  The company might not place much emphasis on schoo, but my parents do.  The only reason they even allowed me to try out for the company was because I promised to keep my grades up. "

  

  "It's hard sometimes trying to follow our own dreams, and trying to live up to our parents, and even our grandparents dreams." Haneul had no idea how the conversation led her in this direction, but now all she could think about was how she had completely forfeited any life plans she would have made for herself in favor of her grandfather's dreams. She could only imagine how Yoochun felt having to give up his life to be with her.  

  

  "Of course self study time was canceled on the day I couldn't attend anyway." Suzy walked over to the pair to have a quick chat before she had to leaving.

  

  "You have a schedule today Suzy? " Haneul asked.  She was still sitting in her seat and hadn't even started packing up her things while most of the class was empty of students.

  

  "Yea, my manager called and said that they needed me to fill in for Jai unnie on a variety show  so I have to go." Suzy's phone began to rang signaling that her van was waiting for her. "See you guys later. " She while heading for the door.

  

  "Bye" the pair said in unisons as they watched their friend dash out of the door and down the hall.

  

  "Since we are free today, would you like to hang out for a few hours? My manager won't be picking me up for another 3 hours or so."

  

  "Would that really be okay? I mean you going out in broad daylight without informing your manager?"

  

  "It will be fine. Suzy and I do it all the time. That day I bumped into you, I had snuck out of the dorm."

  

  " You were also being chased by girls that time." by now Haneul had packed up her stuff and they were headed toward the door. Going out into the hall, they saw that besides a few students, the halls were completely desolate. lt had been no more than five minutes since the bell had ring, but the students wasted no time in leaving.

  

" I won't get caught this time, I even have an amazing disguise."

  

"okay I'll do it, but if anything goes wrong, I won't hesitate to ditch you."

  

  "Awesome! wait here while I get it out of my locker."

  

  If Haneul had have been at home in Busan, there would have been no way that her best friend could have convinced her to go out. She would have been the ever dutiful daughter who went straight home to do her homework, but today she Just wanted to live a little.

  

----

  

Yoochun slowly headed down the hall in the direction of the teachers' office.  Ever since So Hyang had entered the school he had been trying his best to steer clear of her.  Once vice principal Jo had gotten wind of the fact that So Hyang's father was on the school board, he had been pushing more than the principal to start a relationship between him and So Hyang and Yoochun had a feeling today would be no different.

  

"Thank God I won't be the only one late for the meeting" Yoochun heard from behind him.  He turned to see Ms Sun jogging to catch up with him. Since he started working at the school, Ms Sun had been a mentor to him and more recently she had become almost like a mother figure to Yoochun. Even though she was a petite 5 feet 2 inches, she had no problem keeping students and faculty in line. Yoochun was also amazed by her beauty.  At 47 Ms Sun appeared not to be a day over 30 because of her smooth youthful skin and her modern sense of style.  She gave some of the teachers who were 20 years younger a run for their money, and with her intellect their was no one that could compare.  He still could not figure out why a women as great as she was was not married.  

  

"My class ran over, " Yoochun lied as Ms Sun began to fall into step with him.

  

"Umm hmm. So your slow walking has nothing to do with a certain new teacher?"

  

"What? How..."

  

"did I know? " She finished as they both stopped walking.  "Yoochun you are an open book.  I'm surprised no one else has picked up on it yet. I know there use to be something there between you two. "

  

  "Yea there was but..."

  

  "You don't want to talk about it" she finished again. "I know.  Just come to me when you're ready. Now let's go we are already late." She began to walk again leaving Yoochun standing stunned in their previous spot.  He could now add mind reader to the list of things that made her amazing.  

  

______

  

"So this is your brilliant disguise?" the pair were currently sharing a seat on a city bus going to a destination that Jong In was keeping a secret from Haneul. The disguise he was currently wearing was a baseball cap and big rimmed glasses.

  

"Yea. This is by far my best one yet. "

  

  "The only difference between this and the one you were wearing that day you were getting chased is the glasses."

  

"That's true but with this school uniform I look like any other student. "

  

"I'm not taking back what I said about you being spotted. I will ditch you in a minute. "Haneul said half jokingly and half seriously.

  

"I won't, trust me.  Oh, here is our stop." Jong In hurriedly push the button to signal to the driver to stop and headed for the nearest exit.  

  

  ----

  

"Oh, it's so nice of you guys to finally join us, " vice principal Jo greeted as the late pair walked into the teachers' office.

  

"Joeseonghapnida.  Our classes ran over." Ms Sun answered for the tardy pair.

  

"Come in and have a seat we were just getting started." He motioned toward the two empty seats. " Like I was saying, this year our school has been chosen to host the fundraiser for National Education week. For those of you who are unaware, every year a school is chosen to raise money to be donated to underprivileged schools in Seoul. Along with this privilege, the school board and the principal have also given me the great privileged of chosing this events planners."

  

Although the rest of the teachers  were hoping that they were not chosen, Yoochun knew exactly what was about to happen. The vice principal was going to use this as a chance to get on the principal's good side.

  

  "After some deliberation,  I think this event should be planned by Park Yoochun and Im So Hyang." Their fellow teachers erupted in applause happy that they had not been selected. Yoochun could see that So Hyang was very pleased with this assignment.  As soon as the applause died down Yoochun spoke up.  "Vice principal Jo I don't think I should be planning this event.  I have no experience in this type of thing and with the recent promotion I don't think I will have the time that is needed to devote to this. "

  

"I have already thought about that Park seongsangnim.  Im seongsangnim has a background in fundraiser planning, and you know what would appeal to the parents and students of the school. I think you guys will be able to come up with a great event together. "

  

"But I really don't think I should be doing this. "

  

"It's already been decided and approved by the school board Park seongsangnim. "

  

"How about this, " Ms Sun interrupted.  "I will act as an unofficial member and help both Park and Im seongsangnim. I have been at this school for over ten years, and I am good friends with some of the board members."

  

"That is a great idea Sun seongsangnim.  Park ssi feel free to use Ms Sun when you need her. Now that that has been settled, let's finish going over what is on the agenda for today. "

  

  Ms Sun sent Yoochun I quick smile, which he returned with a wary one of his own. He knew Ms Sun was trying to help create a buffer so that he would not have to work alone with So Hyang.

  

  ---

  

"So this is the place you wanted to come to? "

  

  "Yea,  I love this place. It is hard for me to come here because of my schedules,but whenever I have some free time, I sneak over."

  

"But this is just a game café.  doesn't the company provide you with stuff like this? " Haneul couldn't really say she was big on video games.  She hadn't really played that many, but the ones she had played didn't interest her.

  

  "Yea, there is a rec room at the building, but we rarely have time to use it. Besides, I have been coming here since middle school. Let's go in."

  

"Hey Jong In.  Long time no see.  I love this new look." Said the guy at the main desk.

  

"Hey Tae Song hyung, how has everything been."

  

"It's been good around here.  Business is starting to pick up again so I haven't had many worries. You? "

  

"Been kind of busy lately with everything going on. "

  

"Yea I hear you man. We are so proud of you. Hae Mi watches you all the time on tv and buys all of your music. "

  

"Is Hae Mi noona here?"

  

"No, she is running a few errands.  Oh, who is this. "

  

Throughout the whole conversation, Haneul had been quietly standing behind Jong In not wanting to interrupt.

  

"This is Choi Haneul. She is one of my classmates. Self study time was canceled so we decided to sneak away for a few hours. "

  

  "Is that so. Well come on guys.  We have a lot a new games since the last time you were here and a couple new systems."

  

As they walked through the small café, Haneul could see that must of the computers and tv's were occupied by students ranging from middle school to college. By looking at the outside, the cafe didn't seem like it would have many customers, but it was actually a nice little hide out.

  

"You guys have been remodeling? "

  

"Yea.  Since business has been so good, we have had extra money to spruce up the place. Here we are." Tae Song said as the trio came up on a back room."This is a special gift from Hae Mi." He swung the door open revealing a private room which contained a large screen tv and all of the game consoles on the market. The room was set up as a lounge with couchs, a few side tables, and a snack station.

  

"What is this?" Jong In asked as he stepped into the room and began looking around. When he used to come here,  the room had been a storage room but now it was completely different.

  

"It's or new VIP room. We know as you get more famous, it's harder for you to be out in public, and let's face it, you aren't that good with disguises. This way you can be more comfortable. "

  

"Thank to so much hyung.  This is great. Now I can even bring some of the guys here. "

  

"Hae Mi is counting on that. Anyway I'll leave you two alone.  You know where all the games are. Help yourself everything is on me." Tae Song walked out closing the door behind him.

  

"This is so awesome. Right?"

  

"Yea it was very considerate of them to do this for you. "

  

"Sometimes I am surprised at how much they think of me. I've known them for so long that I think of them as my real brother and sister-in-law. Even though they are like family to me, It's hard to tell sometimes if they feel same way, but this proves it."

  

"It's weird how you may know someone for so long but may never be able to understand how they really see you. "

  

"That's true. I guess all we can do is try our best to show them how we feel through our actions." they both fell silent before Jong In broke the mood  "So what do you want to play first.  "

  

____

  

"Park and Im seongsangnim I would like you guys to stay a few extra minutes."

  

The rest of the teachers had already began to gather things to leave for the day since the meeting was over. The pair that had been summoned walked over to the vice principal's desk.

  

"Here is the packet with the guidelines for the fundraiser.  It  tells you the exact date the event is to be held,  the amount of student involvement required, and it also contains a list of companies that have been sponsors in the past. "he handed them each manilla envelopes with the information. "You will only have three months to prepare for the event, so I suggest you start as soon as possible. " with that the vice principal began to gather up his own things to leave.

  

"So when do you want to start? " Yoochun asked. He would rather get this over with as soon as possible.

  

"How about tonight.  We can talk about possible ideas over dinner.  "

  

"I think we should limit our event planning to school grounds.  I don't think it's appropriate to meet outside. "

  

"I don't think anyone would have a problem with it.  As a matter of fact,  I think quite a few people are counting on us meeting up more often."Since the teachers' office had cleared out, So Hyang had became more bold and decided to step into Yoochun's personal space.

  

"Even though that may be the cases, " Yoochun took a step back to put some space in between them "we will not be meeting outside. "

  

"Come on oppa, it's for a good cause.  We can even go to your favorite resturant. "

  

The pair had not noticed but Ms a Sun had reentered  the room and had heard the tail end of the conversation.  "I can go with you Im seongsangnim. I have a few ideas that I wanted to run by you. "

  

"Hmm? Oh I forgot that have something to do today, so I can't do dinner. "

  

"Oh?  I thought I just heard you invite Park seongsangnim out. "

  

"Oh my gosh, It's 5:00 already.  I have to go or I'm going to be late. I'll see you Monday. " So Hyang picked up her things and quickly exited to office.

  

"Thanks for that and for earlier. "

  

"No problem see you Monday. "

  

"Bye"

  

____

  

"You lied to me didn't you? "

  

"What I've really never played this one before. Just like the other ones. " Haneul said innocently and she really hadn't. She thought when they played the first few games that he was letting her win but after playing countless numbers of time she had won most of the games with Jong In just barely beating her in the games he did win.

  

"I just cannot believe this, " Jong In said now more so astonished then anything else. When he had played against the guys in Exo,  he never had a problem winning. He initially was going to let her win but when he saw how good she was, he had turned it into an outright competition.

  

"Awe, don't be mad, it's just a game. "

  

"I've never had this happen before.  Let's just play one more time." If he could at least win the last game he could reclaim some of his dignity.

  

"Are you guys still at it? "the pair turned to the door to see Tae Song peeking in to check in on them. "it's been almost three hours and you guys haven't even taken a break. "

  

"Three hours? Wait what time is it? "Jong In checked his watch to see that it was just past six o'clock. "We have to go.  My manager is suppose to pick me up at 6:30"he began to pick up everything he had discard during their matches including his jacket and tie while Haneul picked up her things.

  

"I'm sorry hyung but we have to go.  It is almost a 30 minute bus ride back to school. " He grabbed Haneul's hand and push passed his hyung while giving a gentle bow of thanks."Tell Hae Mi I said thanks and that I'll be back if I don't get in trouble for this."

  

The pair then dashed out of the main door and toward the bus stop.

  

"The bus should be here in a few minutes" Jong In kept checking his watch and then in the direction that the bus would be coming from.  "I can't believe we lost track of time.  It only felt like we were playing for an hour...Oh, there is the bus. "

  

After the bus came to a stop,  Jong In quickly got on but turned to see that Haneul had not followed.

  

"Aren't you getting on? "

  

"No,  I'm going to take bus 213. It will be the quickest way for me to get home. "

  

Jong In could hear a commotion coming from the passengers as he held up the bus until the bus driver finally had to speak.  "Come on kid there are others on the bus who have somewhere to be. "

  

"Arasso. Haneul I'm really sorry I couldn't take you home. Under normal circumstances I would have. "

  

"It's fine. Go before you end up being any later than you already are. "

  

Before Jong In could reply, the bus driver closed the door and began to pull off.

  

____

  

It ended up taking more than an hour for Haneul to get home and because her phone was dead she couldn't called to tell Yoochun that she was on the way.

  

When she finally reached home she entered the pass code, which was her birthday, and walked into the entrance.  Before she could even get her shoes off, Yoochun came charging toward her and gently pushed her back out into the hall.

  

"Did you get my messages? "

  

"Sorry my phone went dead. That's why I didn't call. We lost tract of time and when we.."

  

Before Haneul could finish her explanation Yoochun cut her off."My mom is here to vist for the weekend. "

  

"What? "