Chapter 6

Love Comes Softly

 

Haneul was excited about the first day at her new school. This was the type of school that would allow her to be noticed by some of the top universities in the country. She was also nervous though. She had always attended school with the same people since primary school, and she had known some of her friends even before that. She hoped that she would be able to find some decent friends at this school.
 
When she arrived, she was not expecting what she saw. This school was completely different from her old school. The main building that she could see was a big modern style facility. The building was completely covered in floor to ceiling windows, and she could already see students walking the halls. Another thing she noticed was that students were being dropped off by chauffeurs, which would explain why she didn't see any other students on the bus in the same uniform as her. 
 
Taking a deep breath, Haneul braced herself before walking into the school to find the principals office. 
___
 
"Well there is some other business I have to attend to. If you would excuse me." Said the principal before running off in the direction of his office.
 
After the principal's exit, all of the teachers began to gather around to introduce themselves to Im seongsangnim. Yoochun took that time to regroup and reassess the situation. It could totally be coincidence that she was here working at the same school. 
 
"Nice meeting you. We'll leave you two to go on a tour of the school. Hope to talk to you again" said Ms Sun the last teacher to greet So Hyang. 
 
-----
 
 
After wondering around for a few minutes and asking various students for directions, Haneul was finally able to find the principal's office. As she entered she was greeted by an older secretary who was typing on her computer. 
 
"Excuse me I am here to see Principal Lee"
 
"Oh hi, you must be Choi Haneul. The principal has been expecting you." She said before hitting a buzzer that connected her to the principal. "Principal Lee, Choi Haneul just arrived"
 
"Thanks Mrs. Do. Send her in."
 
Haneul walked into the office to see the principal sitting behind a huge mahogany desk, which contained a computer and various files on top. Upon her entrance the principal stood up and motioned to one of the seats in front of him. 
 
"Please have a sit."
 
"Ne" she replied before sitting down. 
 
"I'm still waiting on another student, but we will go ahead and get started. First and foremost I am headmaster Lee, and I would like to welcome you to Seoul Academy. Here we try our best to make sure every student is able to thrive. In order to do that,I as well as the teachers keep an open door policy. Which means any concerns whether it be school related or not can be voiced without judgement. Another thing we do especially for our new students to make them feel welcome, is pair them with a peer guide. These students volunteer to help new students adjust to the school. We have paired you with one of our best and brightest students. She is in all your classes and will be accompanying you for the first week. "
 
As principal Lee finished talking, a knock came from the door and Haneul turned around at the sudden interruption. 
 
"That must be her now.  Come on in."
 
"I'm so sorry I'm late. I had a schedule until late last night and I over slept."
 
"It's okay, I understand. Come in and introduce yourself"
 
"Annyeong Hasaeyo cheoneun Bae Suzy imnida. I hope we can become great friends" she said with a big smile as she took a seat in the empty chair. 
 
Even without the introduction Haneul already knew who she was. Even though she didn't keep up with kpop, her best friend did, and her ultimate bias was Bae Suzy and Miss A. Miss A was the one group Haneul couldn't avoid, and from what she saw in interviews, Suzy seemed like a pretty cool person. 
 
"Hi I'm choi Haneul. Please take care or me." Haneul replied before turning to face the principal again. 
 
"Here is our student handbook. It contains all the rules regarding attendance and dress code. If you have any questions feel free to asked me, your teachers or Suzy haksaeng." He said before sliding a thin book across his desk. 
 
The sound of the bell filled the room startling Haneul. 
 
"That is the warning bell. You ladies should head on to class."
 
"Ne" the paired answered before headed out of the office and into the main hall. 
 
"So where are you from?" Suzy asked starting off the conversation.
 
"Busan."
 
"Oh cool, I have some family there."
 
"Really?"
 
"Yeah I visit whenever I get the chance. So how did you end up here in Seoul?"
 
Yoochun had told her this question would probably be posed to her often, so they had already come up with a story to tell everyone. 
 
"I received a scholarship here, so my parents allowed me to move in with my Oppa to attend. We all thought this was a good opportunity. What about you? I heard there are a lot of performance art high schools. How did you end up here?"
 
By now they had walked to the hall containing third year classrooms and were now in the middle of a crowded hallway. 
 
"Oh, my company thought it was best for me to attend regular school. They already pay for us to have dancing, singing, and acting lessons, so they thought school should just be devoted to normal subjects. There are a few others here like me."
 
"That makes sense."
 
"Yeah. I like it here because it gives me the chance to attended school without all of the added pressure of performing."
 
Suzy began to slow down and finally stopped in front of a classroom door.
 
"Now here, as in other schools, grades are ranked. Rank is determined within a class and also within the entire third years." Suzy then walked over to the wall beside the entrance where a seating chart was hanging. 
 
"We also are seated by rank and seating is changed after every exam, which is the same for most schools I guess. Seating is done a little different her though." She pointed at Haneul's name which oddly enough was at the end of the seating chart. 
 
"Students here are seated in reverse order with the highest rank at the back and the lowest toward the front. "
 
"That is different, but oddly enough it makes since. "
 
"Yea I think so too." she replied grabbing Haneul's arm and pulling her into the class. When they entered there was already a few students including a group of girls waiting in the class. The girls noticed them and quieted down sending Suzy a dirty look before started their conversation again. 
 
Suzy ignored them and pulled Haneul towards her seat. "Now this is where you will be sitting. My seat is right there." She pointed a few rows up to a seat near the middle of the class.
 
" I forgot something in my locker and I need to run and get it. Do you mind being left alone?" She asked sending a worried look toward the group of girls. 
 
Haneul could tell by the looks of them that they were some of the queenkas. 
 
"I'll be fine."
 
"Ok" she then scurried out of the class and headed in the direction of her locker.  
 
"She thinks she is so great just because she is in Miss A." Haneul heard one of the girls from the group say. 
 
"And have you seen her latest drama? Her acting ," Countered another as she looked into a hand mirror to fix her makeup. 
 
"Whatever. I don't want to talk about her. Did you see the seating chart I can't believe he is in our class this year."
 
Haneul decided to tune them out after that. She wasn't really interested in boy talk right now. As she unpacked her bag, the class began to fill with the rest of the students.  The room became filled with chatter of what everyone had done for the summer vacation. Since almost everyone was rich, they had been on cruises and various trips abroad. Haneul pretended to read a book as she listened to one student talk about his backpacking trip through Europe when a hush fell over the class followed by squeals from the group of queenkas.
 
"Oh my God Kai how was your summer?"
 
"I saw your debut on Music Bank. It was daebak." 
 
"Umm thanks" said Kai shyly. 
 
Haneul hadn't looked up from her book yet, not wanting to seem too interested. She could hear footsteps approaching the back of the classroom. A figure then stopped to take the seat next to her. Haneul decided to sneak a peak just as Kai looked up to see who was next to him this year. 
 
Haneul recognized his face immediately.
"You" they said in unisons. Never in a million years did she think she would see the guy from the street market again. 
----
The calm facade that Yoochun had flew right out of the window as soon as he escorted So Hyang out into the hall. "What are you doing So Hyang-ah? Did you follow me."
 
"Of course not silly." She said using the best aegyo she could muster as she grabbed his arm. "Daddy's on the school board here, so he helped me get a job. It's fate that you also work here."
 
Yoochun pulled his arm back and looked around the hall to see if anyone had seen their interaction. "It's over So Hyang. You can't go around grabbing me like that. Come on I'll take around the school and then show you to your home room class." He then turned and headed down the hall. 
 
"You'll be mine again soon enought Oppa" she whispered to herself before following behind Yoochun.