chapter 10

Love Comes Softly

The next morning, Haneul woke up not knowing where she was, or why she was there. After a few seconds of looking around, she realized that she was in Yoochun's room and then everything from the previous day came rushing back to her. Her mother in law had made a surprise visit, and she would be staying with them the whole weekend. Haneul also remembered that she had agreed that she would spend the day shopping with Mrs Park and as she looked over at the clock, it was already past eleven am. Quickly jumping out of the bed,  she rushed to the bathroom and was showered and dressed in less than ten minutes.

 

  "Good morning Omma nim, sorry I overslept, "she gave the older woman a bow before sitting at the dining table with her.

 

  "It's fine sweet heart. I know you probably have been busy lately. Yoochun?" she said turning toward the kitchen, " could you warm up Haneul breakfast?"

 

  "Ne Omma. "  

 

"Yoochun had told me that you have taken to Seoul like a fish in water."  

 

"Ne, it seems big, but technology makes it easy to find things. People here are also really helpful."  

 

"Oh really. Well today you take the lead. "  

 

"Here is you breakfast. Eat a lot."  

 

"Thanks oppa." she said hiding a blush and taking a bit of the delicious food. "Have you figured out what you wanted to do for the fundraiser?"  

 

"No not yet. All my ideas are rather boring. "He was never really that creative so this project was a real task for him.  

 

"Haneul might have some ideas. You know, she used to be on the student consul committee at her old school.  Every year they put on a fundraiser. "  

 

"Really? "  Yoochun did not remember Haneul telling him that during their conversations.

 

"Yea, but the seniors always came up with the ideas."Haneul bashfully replied 

 

"She still took part in the creative process. Right Haneul?" Mrs Park took a sip of her coffee and looked expectedly at Haneul. 

 

  "Sort of."  

 

"Even if you didn't have a chance to put forth an idea, you still must have had a few suggestions. Your mom has told me about all of the ideas you had for your senior fundraiser."

 

  "If nothing else Hanuel, your ideas could be a good starting point for me. " Yoochun added.  

 

"Well," a pause "I always wanted to put on a carnival.  It might be too expensive for rides but we could still set up booths,and have each class offer a service." completely embarrassed Haneul continued rambling. "We could have different games and activities and invite children and their parents for nearby schools."  

 

"That is an excellent idea. We would be able to get all of the students involved and have some sort of reward. We also might be able to have some sort of rides if some of the richer families are willing to donate. " getting up from the table, Yoochun went in search of paper to began jotting down ideas. As he searched, he mumbled to himself all of the ideas that were now coming to him.

 

"Well now that that is settled as soon as you're ready we can go. "

 

  "Ne," Hanuel replied feeling proud that she could finally help Yoochun with something.  

 

It only took a few minutes for Haneul to finish breakfast and in no time the pair were headed out the door. "Yoochun ah, we are leaving, but we will be back in time for dinner. "

 

"There is no rush Omma I am meeting with the rest of the fundraiser committee over dinner so I might be late."

 

  "Okay, work hard. Let's go Haneul."  

 

"Ne. I'll go and come back oppa."  

 

"Ne, have fun. "  

 

---

Later that evening

 

"Hi, how many will it be today?" asked the hostess of the nice restaurant So Hyang was currently standing in. So Hyang was not at all surprised that Yoochun had called her to have dinner with him. Of course he was still playing hard to get saying it was about the fundraiser, but she knew he just wanted to see her. He had always been the shy one in their relationship."I'm actually here to meet my boyfriend Park Yoochun."

  "Well then right this way." The hostess began to lead the way towards the dining room after checking the guest book. Before following, So Hyang adjusted her dress to make sure just enough leg and cleavage was showing to leave Yoochun wanting more. The hostess took her towards the private rooms of the restaurant, where Yoochun was already waiting. As they finally reached the room, the door was suddenly opened revealing Yoochun who was exiting the room. .  

"Chunie oppa," So Hyang called before rushing to embrace him as he closed the door. "Were you that excited to see me?"  

"I was actually just going to the restroom," He said nervously scratching the back of his neck. "You can go in first."

"OK oppa, but hurry back. "So Hyang said cutely before bowing to the hostess and entering the room.  

"Chunie oppa is it? I hadn't realized we started using pet names for our coworkers Im songsaengnim," commented Ms Sun we was sitting across the room looking over the menu.  

The rest of the dinner was awkward for So Hyang.  After entering the room, Ms Sun had given her a lecture on professionalism and proper business attire; and when Yoochun came back to discuss his idea So Hyang just agreed to everything in order to leave as soon as possible.   "I actually have plans for tonight so if there is nothing else to discuss, I will leave first. " 

"I think that is everything unless Ms Sun has something to add." Yoochun could tell So Hyang had been uncomfortable throughout the meal so he decided it would be best to end it for today.

 "No I don't think there is anything else to discuss. Yoochun and I will finish up. You can go first. "  

Quickly getting up, So Hyang bowed to the pair. "Thanks for the meal. I'll see you  Monday. " She then exited through the door.

Ms Sun was the first to break the silence. "Well that was awkward Chunie oppa? "  

"So you did hear that." He was hoping that Mrs Sun would be left in the dark about his and So Hyang's relationship a little longer.

 "It sounds like the history between you two runs deeper than I thought."

"You don't even know the half of it. "

"Do you want to go have some drinks and talk about it? "

---

 

"I am beat. This city is just to big for someone my age to try to get around in." After spending the day shopping, the pair had finally made it home, although it was a lot later than either had expected. "How about we finish off today with some take out and worry about making side dishes tomorrow?"

"That sounds like a plan to me Omma nim. I'll grab the menus." It only took a few hours for Haneul and Mrs Park to get over the initial awkwardness they had acquired through becoming in-laws. For some reason they had equally felt that there relationship had changed in some way because of the marriage, but they then realized this shopping trip was no different from all the others they had went on.   

Mrs Park placed all of the grocerys they had purchased on the counter."I think I want American tonight,  I heard Seoul had good American food."

"There is a restaurant that Yoochun and I eat at that has the best hamburgers I've ever had. " 

----

 "Ssso then we broke up." Yoochun slurred after taking a sip of his seventh drink. He had told Ms Sun everything, only leaving out Haneul's name and age.

"I'm so sorry Yoochun. I didn't even know parents were still arranging marriages in this day and age. "She had had a few drinks but not as many as Yoochun. "So Im songsaengnim is trying to get you back now.  After your story, I doubt it is a coincidence that she is working here. " 

"I think so too. I just want to be a good son and grandson. I've let go all of my feelings for So Hyang."Yoochun downed the rest of his drink and called the bartender for one more. 

  "It's late Yoochun, you should go home and sleep it off. "  Mrs Sun paid the tab and pulled Yoochun out of the bar and into an awaiting cab.

___

 It was around three am when nature decided to call for MrsPark. Since she had gotten older, it had become harder and harder to resist not going to the bathroom. Even if it meant getting up out of her warm bed.After stepping out of the bathroom she heard a slight shuffling noise followed by a grunt. Walking towards the living room, she found Yoochun drunk and stretched out on the couch.   "Son, get up, you should go to your room to sleep." She had noticed he had stayed in the living room the night before brainstorming, and after getting drunk he probably needed a good nights sleep in his own bed.

"Umm, okay Omma." Mrs Park helped him stumble to his room before leaving him at the door. So just hoped he didn't disturb a tired Haneul.