Chapter 1: Hopelessly pining away

Plainly Special

 

Even though not the most popular person in school, Yang Yo Seob was well-liked by many because of his bubbly personality. He preferred normal guys though and a certain brunet seemed to fulfil that criteria. Would he have the courage to confess his feelings to his long time crush Du Jun or would he find himself pining for the other from a distance only?

 

Yang Yo Seob sighed what seemed to be the millionth time that week. Class was currently in progress and the blond knew that he should be a good student and listen to his teacher. Or at the very least, gave the appearance of listening to the droning bore that he called a teacher.

 

But alas, he had other matters that occupied his mind. No, it wasn't the tree that he seemed to be staring at for the last 15 minutes or so. Nor was it the fact that he might contract a fatal disease - though in his dramatic mind, he might as well be afflicted with a terminal disease or two - just so that he could end his misery.

 

He sighed once again in depression when he felt his phone vibrating in his pocket announcing an incoming message. He took it out discreetly and saw it was from his friend, Son Dong Woon.

 

 He opened the message. “So, so, have you decided? :3” it read.

 

It took him a few seconds to reply back. “Decide what?” He decided to play innocent.

 

The answer was instantaneous. “About Du Jun, obviously. *EERIE*.”

 

Yo Seob glared at his friend across the room. The little imp had the gall to grin at him.

 

The blond resisted another sigh. This had been his problem for the entire week. Thinking back, he should have just kept his mouth shut. The others in his group had about making a girl cry. He wasn't at fault really. The girl asked him out for a date but he refused, albeit gently. The girl still ran off in tears.

 

It wasn't the fact the girl was ugly or anything, she just wasn't his type...Plus, he sort of liked someone else...? So, he actually had his eyes fixed on someone, but Dong Woon and the others shouldn't have ganged up on him to find out who, right?

 

Red-faced, he only managed to stutter out his preferences. He liked someone who looked normal...and plain. The others didn't have to look at him funnily, right? It wasn't as if he grew another head. It wasn't as if he was really good-looking like Dong Woon that he should, by an unspoken rule, be with someone equally jaw-dropping and dead gorgeous. Nor was he popular like Jun Hyung that he had to date someone eye-catching like Hyun Seung.

 

Sure, he was well-liked and somewhat popular (people voted him as the cutest thing in the entire school) but it wasn't a crime to find a simple guy (who didn't possess superior genes like Dong Woon, or who didn't have a care to dress outlandishly -like Hyun Seung, if he may add - and didn't have a sea of fans like Jun Hyung) hot, right? In fact, he liked nothing better than a normal guy sitting beside the window, reading a book.

 

Of course, they drilled him whether he had a crush on anyone then. He cracked with a 'yes', though he could proudly say that he didn't budge when they asked who. Obviously, being the good friends that they were, they relentlessly listed out and named boys after boys...some that even seemed to make him cringed. He would even have gotten away if Jun Hyung didn't blurt out his name as a joke eliciting a full-blown blush out of him. Just the mere mention of his name, Du Jun and he was flaming red. It was  utterly ridiculous.

 

Then came the teasing. And with it, the nagging. Holy mother, can those three nag like ahjummas... well, no need to say more on that. Now, the others (just Dong Woon, really) were pressuring him to make a confession...

 

“I don't know. Not now...not ever?” he quickly texted back.

 

How did life get so complicated? He had the longest crush on Du Jun since forever and the thing was, he was quite content on doing it from afar...well...kinda...They actually sat adjacent to each other in most of their classes...but still,  it was the principle of the matter.

 

There was also the fear of rejection. His last three confessions didn't work out...They were all plainly straight...Though they weren't harsh in rejecting him. Apparently, he looked so child-like (one said he  looked more fragile than a girl) that they didn't want to make him cry...That was a blow to his man pride.

 

And the chances of Du Jun being less than heteroual was low...actually, now that he thought of it, Du Jun didn't seem like a lady's man either. Yo Seob never saw him converse with a girl before...He was always hanging out with that kid from next class...What was his name again? Oh yes, Lee Gi Kwang. Was there something more between the two than meets the eye?

 

He stole a quick glance at the object of his affection. Du Jun's expression was set into a slight scowl as he focused on his book infront of him.  It didn't help Yo Seob's peace of mind that the other seemed to be bathed in warm lights coming in through the windows. The blond's heart skipped a beat. He was seeing one of his fantasy come true. He knew he sounded like a sissy but he couldn't bring himself to care.

 

Yo Seob giggled mentally as he thought that the picture would be complete if Du Jun would turn around to look at him with fondness. It was at the same time that the other boy actually looked up before turning toward him.

 

“There really is a god,” the blond thought out. He felt like crying in content or die happy, whichever came first. “He's looking at me. Concern isn't exactly how I envisioned it, but I'm not complaining. Oh, look, his eyes crinkle on the side when he smile. I should smile back, right? It's only polite to return the gesture. I hope I'm not smiling like a loon and scare him away.”  He mentally made a bargain with his Maker to make ten daily masses without daydreaming to make him smile like a sane person.

 

Then the blond frowned in confusion as he focused in deciphering the other's facial expression; Du Jun was smiling in amusement and kept nudging his head sideways.

 

“What is he trying to say?” He tilted his head sideways. Whomever was coughing beside him wasn't helping one bit. And he was about to tell the person off and suggest downing a bottle of cough syrup when he saw who it was.

 

At least he didn't have the urge to sigh this time. From the stern look the teacher was giving him, he wanted to whimper instead.

 

A/N: *EERIE* = Eyes Ever Rolling In Exasperation