chapter nine

1001 Fireflies

 

Chanyeol’s at a loss.

“There needs to be a way,” he says firmly, drumming his fingers against the wooden surface of the desk and staring around the library as if the shelves of books and mounds of students hiding behind their laptops and textbooks will give him answers. Kyungsoo and Jongin are sitting opposite him, both silent, looking at him seriously (and for Jongin, this is definitely a feat, Chanyeol thinks absently).

“I promised Baekhyun I could do this. But...” His voice trails away. It all seems kind of hopeless, now – he’d been to the town hall in the city to figure out who to talk to, he’d done his best to explain himself to them but they’d only treated the situation like it was some kind of joke, even more so when he’d gone and then come back a day later with signatures from the people in the village he could convince to sign a quick petition.

“There’s nothing significant here,” the representative had said, brushing him aside like he was nothing. “The project has been paid for. We’ve made our decision. Just get back to...whatever it is you kids like to do.” And then he turned back to his computer, leaving Chanyeol standing there, feeling more pathetic and hopeless than he’d ever felt in his life.

“It’s your birthday, Chanyeol,” Kyungsoo says softly, reaching across the table and covering Chanyeol’s hand with his. Jongin shifts in his seat but then does the same, and Chanyeol chews on his lip, curling his hand into a fist under theirs. “Just relax – you can think about it later.”

“My birthday is the least of my concerns,” Chanyeol mumbles. “What if I can’t do this, what if I don’t save them? If the river gets concreted Baekkie will – he’ll be so sad. I don’t want him to be sad.”

“Chanyeol,” Kyungsoo looks over at Jongin, as if seeking his permission for some silent request. Jongin nods once and pulls his hand out from their little pile in the middle of the table. “Chanyeol, what are you doing next Friday? Around noon?”

“Uhh,” Chanyeol quirks an eyebrow at him. “Why?”

“Just answer.”

“I have a song writing workshop... why?”

“Can you skip it?”

“Hmm... probably. Why?”

“Can you meet us at the quad? Bring your guitar.”

“And Baekhyun,” Jongin adds.

“Baekhyun? Why?” Chanyeol presses. “Why?”

“Is the word ‘why’ starting to sound weird to you, too?” Jongin asks Kyungsoo with a bit of a smirk. Kyungsoo nods, smiling.

“Just come, OK? Don’t question it,” Kyungsoo pats down on Chanyeol’s hand and then withdraws his own. “You’re probably not going to listen but leave the river problem to us. You, skip your tutorial and go home to celebrate your birthday. You know someone has probably been waiting back there to see you all day.”

“Okay,” Chanyeol breathes out.

“Kyungsoo and I will handle it,” Jongin promises. “Just have a good day, okay? And here,” he leans over in his chair and fumbles in his backpack for a bit, then straightens, placing a neatly wrapped gift down on the table. “Happy birthday, kid,”

“Hey, you’re younger than me,” Chanyeol chastises, but he’s smiling curiously as he lifts the gift. “From Jongin andKyungsoo, eh?” He looks pointedly at Kyungsoo, who blushes and averts his gaze.

He unwraps it carefully and then lifts the cover off the little black box whatever they got him is stored in. “Oooh, what’s this?” He asks, picking up the little plastic toy-thing (it looks like a gaming system, except it has a full keyboard rather than the usual play buttons.) “Is it some kind of game?” he turns it over in his hands and then taps the top corner of it against the table. Kyungsoo gasps and snatches it from his hands, looking at him, horrified.

“Don’t break it!” He snaps. “It was expensive.”

“Chill, ‘soo,” Jongin says, leaning back in his chair and laughing out loud. “It’s a phone, you great moron.”

“Why does it have an alphabet?”

“A qwerty keyboard, you mean,” Jongin laughs again. “It’s the new big thing. It’s a phone that can do emails and go on the internet and guess what,” he takes the phone from Kyungsoo and then shows Chanyeol the back of it. “You can even take pictures with it. We thought you’d like that.”

“Oooooh,” Chanyeol takes it back and then lifts it up to pretend to take a picture. Jongin immediately pulls a still-blushing Kyungsoo in and lifts his hands in peace signs. “It doesn’t feel like a camera.”

“That’s because it’s a phone,” Jongin says, rolling his eyes, bemused. “Do you like it? It was Kyungsoo’s idea, because of what happened to your old one last week and – it would kinda if we couldn’t get in touch with you here at school so. You should ask for Baekhyun’s number – Kyungsoo and I are already in there. And your mom helped us set it up with a plan.”

“Thank you guys,” Chanyeol says seriously, grinning down at his fancy new phone. “So... how do I turn it on?”

-

It’s Friday and Chanyeol is making his way to school as usual, except this time he has Baekhyun sitting next to him, rocking against him every time the bus takes a turn and smiling down at his hands as he attempts to type on that blasted tiny keyboard he’s quickly grown to hate (but still love).

“Jongin told me if you go on the internet you can ask it any question and it will have the answer,” he explains happily as Baekhyun has to, yet again, type out a message for him, just a quick one telling Kyungsoo he’s on his way. “Isn’t that neat? My phone is like a pocket psychic. I can’t wait to try it out.”

“That is pretty neat,” Baekhyun agrees, looking up at Chanyeol’s face with an amused sparkle in his eye. “How long until we’re there, Chanyeol?”

“Ummm... about ten minutes,” Chanyeol says, checking his watch. “I just have to do something quickly before we go meet them. Is that OK? I’m missing the workshop today so I have to give my song to the teacher.” "That's fine," Baekhyun replies, and then settles back in his seat. Chanyeol doesn't miss the way his smile disappears as soon as he thinks Chanyeol isn't looking. 

Once they get to the school, Chanyeol takes hold of Baekhyun's hand and leads him through the extravagant iron gates onto campus. Baekhyun's grip is tight, and Chanyeol grins as he directs them to the arts building. 

"I'll only be a few minutes." he says as he shows Baekhyun into the music room. "No classes start here until two, so just wait here OK? If anyone shows up you can stand outside, but don't stray too far." Baekhyun glances around the room, gaze lingering on the grand piano at the back and the towering pile of scoresheets on the teachers desk. He doesn't look so good, but Chanyeol can only give his hand a reassuring squeeze before ducking out and clicking the door shut behind him. 

His tutor keeps him a lot longer than he would have liked, finding it necessary for Chanyeol to stand there as he reads over the finished product and then give him the same response he always does: perfect, as usual. Chanyeol manages to escape at quarter to twelve, and he's on edge as he hurries back down the hall towards the music room. Not only does this barely give them enough time to get to the quad by noon, he also did not want to have to leave Baekhyun alone for this long. 

He has his hand on the doorknob ready to twist it when he stops himself, eyes widening and jaw dropping open. It's so quiet he can barely hear it, but the soft notes playing a slow, pretty melody are unmistakable. 

He stands and listens for God knows how long, eyes closed as he's slumped against the wall, leaning as close as he can to the door without being visible through the meshed window. He loses track of all thoughts other than /Baekhyun/, imagining the way his perfect, slender fingers must be dragging over those keys, imagining how his eyes must be closed as he loses himself to the music. There's no doubt to his mother's words, Chanyeol thinks. Baekhyun really is made to do music. 

He's debating with himself over whether or not he really wants to interrupt and end this when he hears it, the missed note, the loud hitch of breath. He winces at the following bang, the loud, vibrating notes echoing out into the corridor. Chanyeol immediately slams the door open and rushes in, right to Baekhyun's side, pulling him in for a hug and running fingers through his hair - an action that is already so familiar for him. Baekhyun leans into his embrace, his entire body trembling. 

"I can't do this Chanyeol, no wonder this happened I'm the worst -"

"Baekkie shhh," Chanyeol says soothingly and then pulls back, straightening up again only to nudge Baekhyun over on the stool and take a seat next to him. "You had it." he says lightly, pressing down on the keys to imitate what he can remember of Baekhyun's melody. "Can you show me how?" 

Baekhyun is silent for a few moments, Chanyeol waits patiently until Baekhyun eventually lifts his hand to cover Chanyeol's,  directing him to each note.  When he lets go, Chanyeol grabs his hand again and then holds it tight between them. 

"You're amazing, Baekkie," he says, voice full of awe. "You're the most amazing person I've ever known, why are you always so sad?"

Baekhyun starts playing again and Chanyeol takes this as rejection.  He leans closer, resting an arm loosely around Baekhyun's waist, hoping that his presence is at least a comfort to him. 

"She told me once I would never be able to make someone happy," Baekhyun says eventually, voice barely a mumble as his fingers slow to a stop. "That no one could ever love me. I'm worthless."

"Your mother?" Chanyeol asks tentatively and Baekhyun shakes his head, shifting against Chanyeol and half leaning against his chest. Chanyeol circles his arms around him and pulls him closer, rubbing circles into his forearms with his thumbs. 

"I loved raising the fireflies because it felt good to know I was important to something, even if they're just bugs. We were keeping them alive, Chanyeol. Isn't that wonderful?" 

Chanyeol nods against his shoulder. 

"We're going to save them, Baekkie. I promised you."

"I wish you wouldn't have," Baekhyun says, and then he struggles out of Chanyeol's grip to stand. Chanyeol glances at the clock then, and it hits him that it's already almost one - they're very late for Kyungsoo and Jongin. "I don't want you to make promises you can't keep."
 
 
First of all if the formatting is weird I'm sorry this is being posted on my PlayBook 
 
Secondly I want to ask something of you guys!! 
 
I'm sure you've heard about what happened in Sichuan. Some of you might have heard about the project called EXO for Sichuan 
 
Basically what it is, authors are asked to donate their talents and people are invited to bid on them in an auction format. 
 
I want to advertise my thread to you!!! If you like my writing and want me to write something especially for you, your prompt/pairing anything, please bid on me!!! Link below
 
 
http://exoforsichuan.livejournal.com/2138.html
 
Thank you!!!!