chapter eight

1001 Fireflies

 

It doesn't take him long to find Baekhyun after that. Once he gets to the river, it's only ten minutes of stumbling over rocks and slipping on frost-covered grass before he hears faint splashes disturbing the quiet night, and he squints to see the silhouette a few dozen yards away, just visible thanks to the moonlight shining through a gap in the trees.

"Baekhyun!" He calls, and the silhouette straightens immediately. Chanyeol doesn't hesitate to bolt forward, ignoring the way the icy water seems to pierce his skin as soon as he steps into the river, not stopping until he's close enough to pull Baekhyun into his arms, reaching up to cradle his head into his hand, fingers running through sopping wet hair.

"Never, ever do that again," Chanyeol's lungs ache in the struggle to catch his breath again. Baekhyun is trembling against him, fingers weakly curling into the front of his jacket. He reaches into his pocket with his free hand and pulls out his phone. "I need to call my mom and tell her you're safe - I was so scared. Everyone was. Baekkie, why didn't you come find me? Why did you think it was okay to come out here all on your own? Thank god you're okay..." his voice dies away when Baekhyun starts struggling in his grip. The call can wait, he figures, when he slips his other arm around the freezing boy.

"Chanyeol, come on," Baekhyun says desperately, voice shaking. Chanyeol presses as close as possible, hoping he has enough body heat left in him to pass on to Baekhyun, the last thing he wants is for Baekhyun to get sick.  "We need to save them; they're going to be killed. I can't find a single one - hey, let go of me!"

He shoves at Chanyeol's chest but Chanyeol doesn't relent his grip, just tightens it, moving his hand from Baekhyun's head to his shoulder, the other grasping firmly around his waist. "Baekkie, stop," he grits out, wincing when Baekhyun steps on his foot. "You're going to get pneumonia, we need to get you somewhere warm."

"I don't care," another hard shove to his chest. Chanyeol can't help the gasp of pain that slips out, this time. He feels his phone fall from his hand in his momentary weakness from the shock, hears it hit the water with a faint splash. He doesn't dare loosen his grip to look at it, though. "They're going to die, Chanyeol! Don't you care at all?"

"I do," Chanyeol says. Baekhyun struggles again, but this time it's weaker, like he's either losing his strength or his heart. Chanyeol slackens his grip then, buries his nose in Baekhyun's hair and then takes a deep breath. "I don't want them to die either, Baekkie, but I care about you a million times more. Please let me get you somewhere warm." I wouldn't be able to live with myself if you got ill because of this.

"Why are they doing this, Chan - yeol," Baekhyun's voice breaks right in the middle of his name, and Chanyeol only has a split second warning before Baekhyun is choking out cries, burying his face in Chanyeol's neck to muffle his sobs. "It's not fair, w - we've worked so hard..."

"I know Baekkie, I know," Chanyeol sighs and closes his eyes, reaching up again to run his fingers through Baekhyun's hair. He rocks them both back and forth on the spot for a few moments before he pulls back slightly and cups Baekhyun's cheek in his hand. "We'll fix this, I promise. But now, can we please get you inside. Please, Baekkie? It's so cold out here - you must be freezing."

Baekhyun nods, sniffling sadly. Chanyeol isn't sure how much help it would be, drenched from the rain, but he shrugs his jacket from his shoulders and wraps it around Baekhyun's trembling frame. It's definitely far too cold to be out here in only a tshirt, but Chanyeol ignores it. He'll be numb to the cold soon enough. "Let's get you home, then." He slips his hand into Baekhyun's and leads him out of the water, and once they're on the river bank, he turns around and kneels on a large stone. "Get on, and hold on tight, okay?"

Chanyeol stands when he feels Baekhyun press against his back, feet hooking together around his waist. He holds on just under Baekhyun's kneecaps, and then sets off. "If you think you can't hold on anymore, tell me, okay?" He asks, and he feels Baekhyun nod against his shoulder. "Silly Baek, you had me so worried."

The trek back to the village is rather gruelling. Baekhyun's not exactly heavy, but Chanyeol's sure anyone would have difficulties carrying someone on their back for fifteen minutes over slippery grass and rocks, especially when said someone falls asleep halfway home, and Chanyeol has to set him down carefully and then lift him bridal style, holding his head up with his bicep so Baekhyun's neck doesn't get strained. It's even harder to walk, then, because Chanyeol can't look down to watch his step.

His mother and Kyungsoo are waiting for him at the end of the gravel road when he gets there, and they both rush forward immediately to help, but Chanyeol shakes his head no, insisting on carrying Baekhyun all the way home.

"His grandfather is waiting with Jongin at our place," Chanyeol's mother explains, voice at a whisper, as she rests a hand on Baekhyun's forehead. "He's warm. We should get him inside, he's probably coming down with a fever."

"Okay," Chanyeol says quietly. Kyungsoo falls in step beside him, and he tilts his head at Baekhyun, who unconsciously snuggles closer to Chanyeol's chest and then lets out a tiny whine.

"We tried calling, but the line was dead," Kyungsoo whispers. "I'm glad you're both okay."

"He knocked my phone into the water," Chanyeol explains. "He was trying to rescue the larvae; they..." he bites down on his lip and then diverts his gaze to Baekhyun's face, which is scrunched up in discomfort. Kyungsoo peers at him curiously, but Chanyeol doesn't elaborate, just focuses his strength on keeping Baekhyun in his arms until they get home.

Somehow, Chanyeol manages to convince Baekhyun's grandfather to let Baekhyun stay the night. "It's freezing cold out there," he reasons, voice quiet as Baekhyun is still in his arms, fast asleep. Jongin and Kyungsoo are having a hushed conversation at the dining room table, heads close together as they both have their eyes trained on Baekhyun's sleeping form.  "I can get him into something dry and he can spend the night - I'll sleep on the couch, he can take my bed - and then I'll take him home tomorrow before school. I don't want him to get worse..."

"Okay," he's hesistant, but Baekhyun's grandfather inevitably agrees, giving Chanyeol's mother hushed instructions as Chanyeol carries Baekhyun up the narrow staircase towards his room. He sets Baekhyun down in his desk chair and then shakes his shoulders gently.

"Baekkie. Hey Baek, wake up!"

Baekhyun slowly opens his eyes, and he peers up at Chanyeol in a kind of sleepy curiosity as Chanyeol smiles down at him. "You have to take a shower, okay? I'll get you some dry clothes. Do you think you'll be okay in there alone? Will you fall?"

Baekhyun doesn't answer with words. Instead, he gets to a stand, his legs wobbling in effort, and he clutches onto Chanyeol's biceps for support. He then stifles a yawn with the back of his hand and looks around Chanyeol, gaze coming to rest on the single bed in the corner.

"It's small," Chanyeol explains. "But it's really comfortable. So don't worry, okay?" He steers Baekhyun towards the closet, where he pulls out a tshirt and trackpants. Baekhyun eyes the tshirt, and then shakes his head. Chanyeol nods in understanding, and then sorts through his clothes until he gets to the most comfortable looking sweater he can find. "Is this okay?"

Baekhyun gives one tiny nod, so Chanyeol takes this as the go ahead to lead him across the hall to the bathroom, where he points out the towels (and his bathrobe), and then shows him how to work the shower. "I'll be waiting in my room. Let me know if you need anything, okay?"

"Okay," Baekhyun whispers, voice so quiet it's like he still doesn't trust it. Chanyeol just gives him a smile and then ruffles his hair, before going back to his room, where he sits on his bed and folds his hands in his lap, waiting.

After possibly the longest twenty minutes of Chanyeol's life (in which he'd gotten up and paced his room at least 500 times), Baekhyun finally materializes, rubbing his hair dry with a towel, practically drowning in Chanyeol's far too large sweater and trackpants. Chanyeol gulps nervously - he likes the look of Baekhyun in his clothes far more than he knows he should.

"How are you feeling, Baekkie?" He asks, voice unsteady. "Are you hungry? Do you want some soup? I can -"

"It's okay, Chanyeol," Baekhyun says, giving Chanyeol a tiny smile. "I'm just tired. And my head hurts a little bit."  

"Come on then, you should sleep," he pats the bed and Baekhyun eyes it warily. "It's okay, I'll sleep downstairs with Kyungsoo and Jongin. I told your grandfather I'd bring you home in the morning. Right now you just need to rest so. Here." He pats down again, and Baekhyun pads over, and then takes a seat on the edge of the mattress, pressing down on it with both hands and then looking up at Chanyeol. "Go on," Chanyeol insists. "I'll be right downstairs."

"N - no," Baekhyun shakes his head. "I mean. Is it... is it alright if you stayed here? At least... until I fall asleep."

"Of course," Chanyeol says softly. Baekhyun takes a deep breath and then pulls the covers back, crawling under them and snuggling up against Chanyeol's pillow. Chanyeol gets onto his knees and then rests his chin on the mattress, reaching up and taking hold of Baekhyun's hand, which he sees just poking out from under the blankets.

"We'll save the fireflies, Baekkie," he says, and then yawns widely, only just realizing how tired he actually is. He laces their fingers together and then gives Baekhyun's hand a tight squeeze. "I promise."

-

saiofjgrewoigj

two in...a few days huh I'M ON A ROLL except not really, once upon a time I updated my fics every day

IF ONLY WE COULD GO BACK TO THAT. 

honestly this is all plot now NO MORE VOIDs the rest is planned out so hopefully it'll be easier to write :3 wooooo

I love you guyssssssssssssssssssss