Baekhyun & Soojung: Then and Now

What's Our Status?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Baekhyun, look, look! ... auntie’s sweet little angel, isn’t she beautiful?” Mrs. Byun smiled gently as she gazed upon the sleeping baby Soojung in Mrs. Ahn’s arms. 1-year-old Baekhyun watched quietly as he nestled in his mother’s arms as well.

Being the innocent little boy he was, he didn’t comprehend anything that the grown-ups were saying about Soojung being a sweet angel or a beautiful baby. All he knew was that he was fascinated by the fact there was someone who was tinier than him.

“Her name is Soojung, Baekhyun-ah …” Mrs. Byun spoke “Soo-jung. Remember that now, ok?”

Though he couldn’t speak yet, little Baekhyun engraved that beautiful name in his brain.

Soojung.

“Uwaaaa! Bacon oppa, what are you doing?!” 4-year-old Soojung pouted as she saw him sitting on her bed, lazily playing with her stuffed animals. “I was waiting for you! Where did you go?!” the little boy retorted “and its Baekhyun! BAEK-HYUN! not Bacon!”

“Now, now, little ones. Don’t yell at each other” Mrs. Ahn giggled and gathered the scattered toys “We just went for a quick check-up at the hospital, Baekhyun. Auntie wants to make sure of Soojung’s health, you see” she smiled and patted 5-year-old Baekhyun’s head “We just visited the doctor for that reason”

Baekhyun pursed his lips “Soojunggie is fine! And besides! I’M here to protect her! Nothing bad will happen to her!”. At that, Mrs. Ahn let out a hearty laugh “Aigooo … you are such a sweetheart. Did you hear that, sweetie?”. Soojung just blinked at her mom then at Baekhyun “Bacon oppa always says that so I’m used to it”

“Come on, Soojunggie! Let’s go play outside! There’s this new game I want to teach you!” Baekhyun offered. “Mmm!” Soojung nodded and ran after him.

Baekhyun knelt beside his mother and father’s burial altars, crying his eyes out and sobbing loudly. No matter how much his relatives and even Soojung’s parents consoled him, he wouldn’t stop.

Mr. and Mrs. Byun were involved in a plane crash on their way to Korea from a job overseas. They were heroes, in fact. They saved everyone on the plane by briefing them on survival routines and assuring calm and order despite the hysteria. Unfortunately, they put themselves last and paid the price. Numerous journalists crowded the funeral chapel but were kept at bay by Mr. Ahn’s forces.

Everyone thought highly of Mr. and Mrs. Byun and considered them heroes … but none of that mattered to 9-year-old Baekhyun. He just lost his parents. They were never coming back.

They promised to go on trips during summer,

they promised to go travelling when he grew older,

they promised to spend Christmas in different countries,

they promised to be there whenever it was his birthday, no matter how busy they were,

they promised to both be there when he married Soojung.

 

Now … all of that was shattered. It was never going to happen. Not anymore. Heroes or not, he knew how much he wished things had gone differently.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Ya, you punk!” a voice spoke to him. He looked up and saw Soojung peering down at him with hands on her hips “Why are you crying like a little sissy?! And you call yourself a man!” she pointed a finger at him as she spoke in a voice lower than her usual one. Soojung was copying the way Mr. Byun would speak to/scold his trainees. There were times when Soojung and Baekhyun were allowed to watch their fathers conduct military trainings. Soldiers would cringe whenever Mr. Byun bellowed and Mr. Ahn would back him up just to scare the socks off of them even more.

For a second, Baekhyun just stared in awe, his body shaking with his sobs.

 Then … all of a sudden, he unconsciously burst into a series of hitched giggles, all messed up by his sobbing. Soojung made a face “Was I too good at copying uncle?” she wondered aloud. Baekhyun’s giggles eventually turned into soft laugher “You’re the WORST impersonator of Appa ever” he said, barely able to breathe properly.

Soojung pouted at the comment but smiled brightly instead “At least I made you smile!” she beamed.

 

From then on, Soojung had been the source of smiles and laughter and happiness for Baekhyun. Through her, he was able to move on slowly from his loss. He learned to keep going and live life to the fullest. His parents would’ve wanted him to do so.

“Baek, hurry up! We’ll be late for class!!” Soojung bellowed from downstairs. “Coming! Coming! Geez!” Baekhyun hopped on one foot as he struggled to put his socks on quickly, almost literally rolling down the stairs.

 

 

 

“Ya, Ahn Soojung …” Baekhyun spoke as they walked toward the school gates. “Hmm?” Soojung blinked at him.

“You’re really not gonna call me ‘oppa’ anymore?”

Soojung pursed her lips “Geez. Get over it, Baek. I’m already 14 years old! I’m not a kid. We’re middle school seniors now, we’re gonna be high schoolers soon! I can’t go around calling you ‘oppa’ anymore”

“But you were calling me ‘oppa’ just last year! Our age doesn’t have anything to do with using honorifics!” he pouted cutely.

“Well I just don’t want to call you that anymore. How ‘bout I start calling you ‘Bacon oppa’ again?”

“Uhhh … No …”

Soojung just laughed and grabbed his hand “Let’s just go to class now … ok, Baek?”. Baekhyun smiled at her and intertwined his fingers with hers. “Aigoooo … my future wife has grown up to be a disrespectful brat” he muttered. “What?” Soojung blinked.

“Nothing!” he smiled and pulled her along.

“KYAAAAAAA!!! Baek! BAEK!!”16-year-old Soojung squealed as she engulfed the guy into a big bear hug. “Ack!! AHHHH! You’re killing me! What is it?!” Baekhyun shrieked.

“Luhan oppa is coming to Korea!! He’s staying in Korea!! KYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!” Soojung gushed like a crazy fangirl.

Luhan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter