The Moving In

The Business of Love

 

CHAPTER 7

 

            “Talk about wrong timing,” Hyun Joong said.  Then he and So Min started laughing.

 

            “Go open the door and find out who it is,” So Min instructed Hyun Joong.

 

            Hyun Joong grudgingly went toward the door to open it.  It was Mr. Choi Do Bin, the realtor.

 

            “I’m so sorry Mr. Kim.  I didn’t realize you will be here this early,” apologized Mr. Choi.

 

            “It’s okay Mr. Choi.  You were not late, we were early.  By the way, let me introduce you to my fiancé, Jung So Min.”

 

            “Hello, Ms. Jung.  I’m glad to finally meet you.  So how do you like the house?”

 

            “So Min and I like it very much and will definitely buy this house.  I will ask my lawyer to call you tomorrow to finalize the contract,” Hyun Joong said.

 

            “That’s great! Thank you, Mr. Kim and Ms. Jung,” said Mr. Choi clearly delighted closing the sale.

 

            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

            “Do you have any appointment for the rest of the evening,” Hyun Joong asked So Min after their meeting with the realtor.

 

            “Actually, no.  Why?”

 

            “Would you like to go out to dinner tonight?  This is one of those rare evenings where I don’t have to meet clients or colleagues for dinner.”

 

            “Sure, that would be nice.”

 

            “Do you mind if I stop by my office first.  I need to pick up some documents before I head home tonight.”

            “No, not at all.”

 

            It didn’t take long for them to reach Hyun Joong’s office.  Hyun Joong’s office is quite spacious and has a nice view of the city skyline.  The office has contemporary furniture.  Looking at the number of furniture in the office, So Min could tell Hyun Joong practices simplicity and minimalism.

 

            Hyun Joong started going through the neatly piled up papers on his desk.

 

            “While you’re doing that, I’ll go to the ladies’ room so please take your time,” So Min said.

 

            While touching up her lipstick, So Min remembered what happened in the house earlier that afternoon.  Hyun Joong was right.  They might not be in love but the physical attraction is definitely there and they are certainly more comfortable now with each other.  She wondered what would have happened if Mr. Choi did not show up.  Just thinking about it made So Min’s face blush.

 

            “No!  That is not acceptable.  She cannot schedule a special board meeting!  We already had a lengthy discussion on this and I don’t understand why she insists on fighting me on this one.”  So Min heard Hyun Joong’s loud voice on the way back to his office.  He was on the phone and with the tone of his voice So Min could tell he was not happy.

 

            “Our falling out had nothing to do with the company.  She needs to learn to separate this from our personal issues.   I have a dinner appointment but I will try to get hold of her later tonight.” Hyun Joong said and hangs up the phone.

 

            So Min pretended she heard nothing.  “So, are you ready?”

 

            “Yes, I am.  Let’s go.”

 

            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

            Hyun Joong took So Min to Samwon Garden.  The restaurant was pretty busy that night but Hyun Joong managed to get a table right away.

 

            They were starving so they placed their orders right away.

 

            “Hyun Joong, I hope you don’t mind me asking.  Are your parents going to attend the wedding?” So Min asked.

 

            Hyun Joong took a deep breath before responding.

 

            “No, So Min my parents are gone.  They passed away when I was only a toddler and I grew up in an orphanage.”

 

            “Oh, I’m so sorry.  I had no idea.”

 

            “It’s okay.  I try my best to keep that information away from the public so a lot of people don’t know about it.  Being educated abroad made that a lot easier for me.”

 

            So Min wanted to ask a lot of follow up questions but she wasn’t quiet sure how to phrase them without offending or upsetting Hyun Joong.  Thank goodness their food arrived and saved them from the awkward silence.

 

            They were about to finish their meal when Hyun Joong’s phone rang. 

 

            “Excuse me, but I need to take this call.”  Hyun Joong then got up and left the table.

 

            So Min was enjoying her dessert when a familiar face passed by.

 

            “Hello, So Min.”  It was Lee Hong Ki.

 

            So Min almost choked on her food when she saw Hong Ki.

 

            “Hi, how are you?”  That was all So Min could say.  Actually she was not sure what to say to him.

 

            “I’m good.  Thanks.  By the way, I heard the news that you are now engaged to a certain Mr. Kim.” Hong Ki said.

 

            “Yes, it is true.  His name is Kim Hyun Joong.”

 

            Hong Ki wanted to stay and chat some more but his manager reminded him that there was a group of people waiting for them on the other table.

 

            “Sorry, I can’t stay long but I will call you one of these days so we can catch up.”

 

            “That would be good,” So Min said.  She wasn’t sure if she meant that but she had to say something.

 

            Hong Ki approached So Min to give her a goodbye hug and So Min got up to say goodbye to Hong Ki.  Suddenly, a woman came rushing and confronted Hong Ki and So Min.

 

            “Is this the new girl you are seeing that’s why you broke up with me?”  The angry lady said.

 

            “No, please don’t do this here.  So Min is an old friend of mine.”  Hong Ki explained.

 

            “Yes, Hong Ki is telling the truth.  We are just friends.” So Min added.

 

            “Don’t lie to me.  I saw you hugging Hong Ki.” The lady then pushed So Min.

 

            So Min lost her balance and rammed against a tray of drinks one of the servers was carrying.  You could hear the sound of broken glasses everywhere and So Min ended up on the floor, soaking wet.

 

            “So Min, I’m so sorry.” Hong Ki said while trying to help So Min get up from the floor.

 

            “Don’t touch her!” Hyun Joong yelled to Hong Ki.

 

            Before Hong Ki could react, Hyun Joong removed his dinner jacket, wrapped it around So Min, and carried her out of the restaurant.

 

            “Are you okay?” Hyun Joong asked.

 

            So Min was so embarrassed that she could only nod her head.

 

            Hyun Joong took So Min to his apartment which was only a few blocks away from the restaurant.  So Min tried to walk on her own but her left foot was in so much pain.  Hyun Joong insisted on carrying her all the way up to his apartment.

 

            “You need to change to this so I can put your clothes in the washer,” Hyun Joong said while handing So Min one of his shirts.

 

            So Min went to the bathroom and showered. 

 

            “Is everything okay in there?” Hyun Joong knocked on the door and asked So Min.

 

            “Yes, I’m fine.”

 

            The truth was she didn’t want to come out of the bathroom since she was wearing nothing except Hyun Joong’s shirt.

 

           

            “Why, are you embarrassed? 

 

            “No!” So Min lied.

 

“Better get used to it, we will be married next week.”

 

“You don’t need to remind me.”

 

“So what’s taking you so long then?”

 

            “Because I can’t walk,” So Min said which was partly true.

 

            Hyun Joong then opened the bathroom door and carried So Min to the couch.

 

“Let me take a look,” Hyun Joong said while reaching out for So Min’s left foot. “It’s not swollen but it is definitely bruised.  Let me get an ice pack.”

 

So Min was pleasantly surprised to see the soft side of Hyun Joong and how he was fussing over her.  He was not all business after all.  He actually has a tender side to him.

 

“Thank you for rescuing me out there.  That was embarrassing and I’m glad you were there.”

 

“You’re welcome.   Are you sure you’re okay now?”

 

“Yes, I am.  Thanks to you,” So Min then gave Hyun Joong a kiss on the cheek.

 

“That’s it?  A kiss on the cheek?  That’s the best you can do?” Hyun Joong teased So Min.

 

So Min then reached for Hyun Joong’s face and started kissing him on the lips passionately.

 

Hyun Joong responded by exploring So Min’s soft and warm body with his strong hands and started to her shirt.  Suddenly he stopped.

 

“Why?” So Min asked while catching her breath.

 

“You have no idea how much I desperately want you right now.  But I need to be able to face your parents for the next couple of days.  Before the wedding I mean.”

 

“You’re right,” So Min agreed.

 

  Once your clothes are dry, I will take you home tonight.  In the meantime, why don’t I make you a nice warm cup of milk?”

 

“Sounds good to me,” So Min said.

 

Hyun Joong went into the kitchen and got busy preparing the milk for So Min.  Minutes later he returned to the living room and found So Min sound asleep on the couch. 

 

Hyun Joong then set the cup of milk on the coffee table and sat next to So Min.

 

“Poor thing.  You had a rough day today,” Hyun Joong said to himself.

 

Hyun Joong ran his fingers on So Min’s face.  She looked so peaceful.  He couldn’t help but admire how beautiful she is.  She has flawless skin and she looked like an angel wearing his white shirt.  

 

“I guess you are staying here with me tonight, Sweetheart.” Hyun Joong said softly.

 

He then picked up So Min and carried her to his bedroom.

 

 

TO BE CONTINUED