The Helping Hands

The Business of Love

 

 

CHAPTER 20

 

“Where are you right now, Mrs. Hong?.....Okay I will meet you there.”  Hyun Joong slowly got out of bed and was successful in not waking So Min up who was still sound asleep.  He showered quickly, got dressed, and wrote a note to So Min which read:  “I ran out to meet Mrs. Hong.  I will be back in a few hours.  Please call me when you wake up. I love you.”  Hyun Joong put the note on the bed next to So Min, gave her a kiss on her forehead, and left.

 

Hyun Joong drove to Seoul St. Mary’s Hospital.  Mrs. Hong was waiting in the lobby when Hyun Joong made it to the hospital. 

 

“How is Shin Dong Woo?” asked Hyun Joong still catching his breath.  He ran from the parking lot to the lobby. 

 

“I couldn’t call you earlier.  The hospital called me early this morning to let me know after a series of test, they confirmed his sister was a match.  As soon as we received the good news, we drove here right away so she can be prepared for the surgery. The doctors were ecstatic and didn’t want to delay the procedure any longer.”  Hyun Joong could see the concern in Mrs. Hong’s face.

 

“It’s okay, I understand,” Hyun Joong assured Mrs. Hong.  “Where is Dong Woo right now?”

 

“He is going through chemotherapy treatment in preparation for the transplant.  And Shin Ae Rin is in the operating room for the bone marrow harvest surgery. The doctors assured me it is a minor surgery with little risk and minimal discomfort for Ae Rin.”

 

 “Oh I see.  I guess all we can do for now is wait.”  Mrs. Hong and Hyun Joong decided to sit in the lobby and wait.

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

So Min finally woke up and had to pinch herself.  She remembered what happened the previous night and couldn’t believe Hyun Joong confessed his love for her.  “Am I dreaming?” she asked herself.  She was overwhelmed with happiness that tears welled up in her eyes.  She touched her belly and said, “Everything will be alright, baby.  Everything will be alright.”

 

So Min noticed Hyun Joong was gone.  She thought Hyun Joong went to work until she saw the note next to her.  She read it and blushed when she read the words “I love you.”  After reading the note, she immediately called Hyun Joong.

 

“Is everything, okay?” asked So Min.

 

“Yes.  I’m in Seoul St. Mary’s Hospital with Mrs. Hong.  One of the boys in the orphanage is confined here right now.”

 

“Oh no. Is he going to be okay?”

 

“We don’t know yet but I’m sure we will find out later.”

 

“Let me get dressed and I will meet you there.”

 

“Really?  You don’t have to Sweetheart.”

 

“But I want to,” So Min said.  This was one of those moments her husband needs her and she would be there for him So Min decided.  She got ready as fast as she could and drove to the hospital.

 

As soon as So Min walked in through the double doors of the hospital, Mrs. Hong recognized her right away.  She got up from her seat and greeted So Min.  So Min noticed Hyun Joong was not in the lobby.

 

“Thank you So Min for coming over.  I really appreciate it,” Mrs. Hong hugged So Min.

 

“You’re welcome Mrs. Hong.  Where is Hyun Joong?”

 

“He’s actually talking to the hospital staff making sure Dong Woo and his sister are well taken care of.  He wants to make sure they get private rooms and that they are comfortable as much as possible.”

 

“That’s good.  It’s getting close to lunch time already.  Have you eaten lunch yet?”

 

“Actually not yet.”

 

“How about we get some lunch in the cafeteria?  I will call Hyun Joong and will ask him to follow us there?”

 

“That’s sounds good.  I haven’t eaten anything since this morning and I’m actually starving.”

 

The cafeteria was not too crowded yet so So Min and Mrs. Hong were able to get their food in no time and found a nice table near the window.

 

“We are really blessed to have Hyun Joong.  If not for him we will not be able to meet the expensive medical needs of Dong Woo.  We are really lucky to have him.”

 

“What is wrong with Dong Woo, Mrs. Hong?”

 

Mrs. Hong paused and took a deep breath.  “Dong Woo was diagnosed with Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia about two years ago.  He had gone through all phases of chemotherapy treatment but the last couple of months the treatment stopped working.  We had no choice but to resort to bone marrow transplant.  We’ve been waiting for months for a donor match for Dong Woo without luck.  Finally, through investigation we found out Dong Woo actually has a sister that was placed in another orphanage.  We contacted them and luckily they agreed to give us the contact information for her adoptive parents.  We told them it was a matter of life and death.”

 

Mrs. Hong couldn’t help but feel emotional while telling Dong Woo’s story.  So Min felt the pain of Mrs. Hong.  She will become a mother soon and she could image the pain Mrs. Hong was going through. 

 

“Is the sister a match?”

 

“Yes, she is.  But I’m so worried for Dong Woo.  You know the transplant is a strong treatment and the risks are high and the side effects could be serious.  I’m hoping the procedure will be a success.”

 

So Min held Mrs. Hong’s hand.  “Don’t worry, Mrs. Hong.  I’m sure everything will be alright.”

 

“You know So Min, it was also Hyun Joong who hired the private investigator to locate Ae Rin.   Hyun Joong never turned his back on us.  He’s always there for us, especially the children.  He’s been generously supporting the orphanage.  He also made sure Ae Rin’s parents have a nice hotel to stay in while in town.  They’ve agreed to stay for a couple of days so Ae Rin can get to know her brother.  Hyun Joong is a decent man, So Min.  You should be proud of him.”

 

“I know Mrs. Hong.  I love my husband dearly and I’m lucky to have him.” 

 

Minutes later Hyun Joong joined them at the table.  Hyun Joong was very pleased to see his wife giving Mrs. Hong the much needed comfort. 

 

“Hello Sweetheart,” greeted Hyun Joong.

 

“Hi.  Thank you for the note this morning.”  So Min got up and gave Hyun Joong a hug.

 

“What’s the hug for?”

 

“Nothing.  Just because I have the best husband in the world,” So Min said while smiling.

 

Hyun Joong blushed in front of Mrs. Hong.

 

“Oh, you don’t have to be shy Hyun Joong,” said Mrs. Hong and they all started laughing.

 

A couple of hours later Hyun Jung, So Min, and Mrs. Hong met with Doctor Jang Hang Sun.  They were told Ae Rin’s surgery went very well and she was now in her room recovering.  They were also told that Dong Woo will be ready for the transplant procedure the next day. 

 

“Thank you, Dr. Jang.  We really appreciate all your help,” Hyun Joong said. 

 

“You’re welcome.  I’m just doing my job.  I will see you tomorrow then,” Doctor Jang responded.

 

After talking to Dr. Jang, they went to check on Dong Woo and Ae Rin but they were both sleeping.

 

“You can go now.  I will wait here till they wake up,” Mrs. Hong said.

 

“Are you sure?  I can stay here with you,” Hyun Joong offered.

 

“It’s okay.  I’ll be fine.  You two go home and rest.  There’s nothing really we can do right now.  Besides, I will be seeing you tomorrow anyway.”

 

“Okay then, Mrs. Hong.  We’ll leave for now.  Just call me anytime if there’s anything you need,” Hyun Joong said.

 


            “You’ve done more than enough for us, Hyun Joong.  I don’t even know how to thank you anymore.”

 

“No need to thank me, Mrs. Hong.  You took care of me as a child.  This is my way of returning all the love and care you showed me growing up.  I’m the one who can’t thank you enough,” Hyun Joong said and hugged Mrs. Hong.

 

As they were walking to their cars, So Min remembered something.

 

“Oh my,  I almost forgot.   We have an appointment with Dr. Seo Jung Eun at two thirty this afternoon.  Can you still come with me or you need to go to your office?”

 

“I can definitely go with you.  I already planned to take a day off from work.  It’s only one thirty, we have plenty of time to get there.  You can leave your car here and I will ask Do-Han to pick it up.”

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

“It’s nice to see you again Hyun Joong and So Min.  Are you excited?  This is the big day.  We will find out if you’re going to have a baby boy or a baby girl.

 

Hyun Joong froze.  He had been preoccupied with Dong Woo that he completely forgot this was the day.  He was so excited that his heart was beating faster.  She looked at So Min.  He could sense she felt the same way.

 

Minutes later So Min was lying down on the examination table and the gel is applied to her uncovered belly.  Dr. Seo slowly moved the ultrasound transducer wand back and forth over her abdomen.  Hyun Joong and So Min could see it clearly from the monitor.

 

“Now you know,” Dr. Seo said.

 

TO BE CONTINUED

 

Author’s Note:

Hello to our wonderful readers.  This is DTS123.  I need your input.  I need some ideas for the baby’s name.  Any suggestions for a baby boy or a baby girl?  If you do, please post it here.

 

Thanks!