Rivalry?

The Kissing Effect.


DaeHyun rolled his water bottle between the palms of his hands nervously. The crinkling noise only made his anxiety more and more apparent. He had been waiting for only ten minutes, but this had been something he’d wanted for close to two years now.

“DaeHyun-shi? Is that you?”

The older boy paid no mind to the voice chasing him down as he paced back and forth. The more he thought about his appointment, the more he felt sick.

“Jung DaeHyun! What’re you doing here?!” A hand clamped down on DaeHyun’s shoulder and rocked him back into reality. “Are you in the music department?”

It took a moment for DaeHyun’s eyes to adjust, but he his lips and swallowed his uneasy breath. “Bwoh?”trans.gif

“DaeHyun-shi, snap outta it! It’s me, Yoo YoungJae!”

In the brief moment of confusion, DaeHyun dropped his bottle and coughed wildly as he bent to pick it up. “YoungJae-yah, you scared me.”

“Hyung, you feelin’ okay? You’re acting weird. I called you out twice and you didn’t answer.” He tilted his head to the side to get a better look of the older boy. “Is something bothering you?”

“I-I’m fine. Why do I look bad?”

YoungJae twisted his face. “Just a little pale.”

DaeHyun chuckled. “I’m from Busan...I’m never pale.”

“Jung DaeHyun?”

A shiver ran down his spine and then he stood there waiting for the moment of truth. YoungJae ducked and jumped trying to see the woman’s face. “What’s she want?” The younger boy was curious but once he saw DaeHyun, he immediately stopped pressing for answers. “Hyung, I hope all goes well.”

“Thanks...me too.”

Once behind closed doors DaeHyun unraveled to the point of collapsing. He wasn’t going to wait another semester was he? The scar tissue on his vocal cord had practically healed. But maybe it wasn’t enough. As he watched the woman click her pen against her hip, his mouth went dry waiting for her to speak. “It says here that you applied last semester for the music department. You didn’t get in?”

“I-I was sick the day of tryouts.”

She tapped her pen on the file and scribbled something down. “And you’ve been given a full bill of health?” She peered over her glasses. The woman was maybe thirty, thirty-five at most and seemed to have a Napoleon complex. “Jung DaeHyun?”

“Yes, a full recovery.” He was lying. There were definitely times that his voice would crack or his neck would get sore, but as long as he could deal, it would all be worth it.

“It says here that you attended a vocal institution in Busan, is that correct?”

“Yes, I worked personally with a trainer for some time. I’ve even been talking with the professor here as well.”

She flipped through pages and sighed heavily before placing her file to her desk. “It would seem that our vocal professor and your trainer believe you adequate to start late in the semester. They’ve written notes about your incredible voice and how it is far beyond the level of beginners.” Her fingers slid her glasses off and they clinked onto the table top. “Our head of the department is very difficult to please. You may not have known this, but he sat in during your last session with professor Kwon. He told me that if I don’t admit you, I’d be a fool.” Her body leaned forward in her chair. “Jung DaeHyun, you’re in. You start your first vocal class very soon. Welcome to the major.”

DaeHyun’s heart stopped. This was the exact moment he’d waited for over the course of the past two years. “I-I’m in?”

She nodded with a small smile. “I saw that you’ve already made friends with one of our most talented pupils. If you’re as good as they say then I expect you to blow him out of the water.”

To be honest, DaeHyun didn’t care about comparisons. He didn’t care about how talented his friend was or if they needed a rivalry. He was just accepted into the Music department of his dreams and all he wanted was to run and scream. He had to tell someone.

“When do I start?”

“Five minutes, third floor, room 302. Best wishes.”

He collected his things and hurried out the door. After letting it shut he realized his rudeness and quickly opened it once again to bow.

“Now, I would like each and every one of you to give a warm welcome to a new student. He’s a bit behind, but he’ll soon catch up.” Professor Kwon introduced DaeHyun to the class of thirty and then shooed him to a seat.  “Where did we leave off?”

A girl opened and began to sing the lines of an old Latin hymn.

“Very good, very good! Will someone else demonstrate for me?”

A boy not too far away repeated the hymn in a much deeper key. Soon, the majority or the class had sung the hymn and then it was YoungJae’s turn.

When he opened his mouth, a pure sound leaked out that was so sweet DaeHyun nearly vomited. He began to think about SoRae, did she know this voice well? Did YoungJae sing to her often?

It was so beautiful and smooth that DaeHyun wished for a crack, a flaw...something. It was incredibly perfect in every way and he couldn’t stand it. With each note, the confidence in his own voice wavered. Since last semester he’d had some issues with his vocal cords, but his tone was much different than the vibrato one next to him. In truth, DaeHyun could hit much more difficult notes, but his tone...his tone could never be as jazzy and smooth. This was much too R&B for him to reach and his fingers curled in his hands while the opposing boy sang the hymn with ease.

“Dammit.” He in a breath and pulled out his phone. He was beginning to ache. His whole body shook and was beginning to scare him. As his hand clasped around his throat, he stood up and excused himself from the class.

In the time it took for him to leave, she’d messaged him back but the time it took for him to reply was much too long and his fingers fumbled across the screen. He hit the green button and held the device close to his face. “SoRae-yah, I need you. I’m in the vocal department. Please hurry!”

“Please hurry!"

SoRae lost herself for a moment. His voice was raspy and faint, but eager. What if he was seriously hurt, she thought to herself. She shoveled her things back into her bag and hurried across the courtyard. At the time, she was waiting for YoungJae outside of the music building, but why was DaeHyun there? And what was he doing in the vocal department?

She raced up the stairs and down the hallway passing the familiar pair of double doors. She looked around for the boy while she was unable to catch her breath and feared he was passed out somewhere. “DaeHyun-ssi?”

She peered around the corner and found him holding onto his neck, body lunged forward.

“DaeHyun-ssi?”

He coughed trying to gasp for air.

“DaeHyun! Why didn’t you call an ambulance? What’s wrong?!” She pulled out her phone but his fingers wrapped around her wrist yanking her forward.

Without a sound he trapped her in his arms and pressed his face into her hair. He still couldn’t breathe. The thought of YoungJae singing lullabies to her made him want to rip out his own throat. Why did the younger boy have to be so perfect? Why did he have to be closer to her?

DaeHyun gripped her shoulders shaking a bit.

“DaeHyun, are you breathing?”

They were choked breaths and he was struggling to stand on his own. Her hands wrapped around his face and they stared at eachother for a moment. His lips parted to take in her breath and his lungs finally filled with air. One thing was for sure, he wasn’t breathing on his own. His body would only accept her breath as a form of air supply.

“What’s wrong?”

He opened his eyes to answer her questions. He wanted to calm the urgency in her voice, but when he opened his eyes he split his lips and pressed them to hers. Her hands pushed against his chest but she soon gave up letting them snake around him.

His fingers curled around her neck letting thumbs rub back and forth against her cheeks. As his mouth pulled away from hers, she stood on her toes to meet his kiss again. Her lips pecked at his as he struggled to find ground. He floated in and out of consciousness but remained firmly planted above her. His eyes opened to see her slowly kissing him, reaching to end the gap between them. “SoRae-yah?” He was still shaking.

Her hands hooked around his shoulders bringing him down. brushed passed his and she clasped his lips in hers. She wasn’t exactly thinking, just doing.

“SoRae-yah, this isn’t right.” He tried to shrug her off but she just pressed her face into his chest.

“I thought you were choking.” Her voice was a low cry. “Use me as you need, just don’t die. Not if I can help it.”

An ache rolled up the back of his throat asking for a breath of hers. He leaned forward pressing her into the wall and tried to calm her. “SoRae-yah, I’m not dying. Look.”

Her eyes opened but her gaze made him weak. His desire to kiss her grew with each passing moment until he bent down and ended the need. He opened his mouth allowing her to taste him as he gave her the upper hand. For a newbie she was incredibly good at kissing and the whole experience wasn’t bad at all, it was actually enjoyable. He let her explore a while longer before taking the lead himself. A moan was caught in but he just wouldn’t let her release.

The kiss was mildly sweet as he did his best to tilt her chin upward. Their lips slowly moved across each other’s and the kiss began to die. Her hands grabbed his forearms as he held her waist. “DaeHyun?” Her voice was a bit low and she couldn’t bare to face him just yet.

“Yes?”

“Do you think that, well maybe...” She quickly pecked him mouth. “Never mind.”


He chuckled taking her fully into his arms. He pushed her head to his shoulder and twirled her side to side. “Thank you SoRae-yah. I’m pretty sure you saved me.”

A/N: I WAS GONE FOR SO LONG?! /cries I'm sorry
i didn't give you guys much of a chapter either... ; ;

If ever you need me, I'm on Tumblr 25/7... and I don't know if anyone has seen yet, but I opened for requests here.

Finals are coming up and I'm freaking out...but I plan on writing here and there (if not I'll go mad). Feel free to leave a request and I'l write a lil somthin :3
I might have forgotten to meantion the ...yes, there's in my drabble collection (I'm thinking about taking it out. It's a full one shot...not exactly a drabble).

Aiyo....anyways....thank you for reading!

Meng~

@toowhiteforkpop: I think I got all my out in my DAeJae oneshot...hew...supressing the feels... ahahaha

@Gbbi15: new fic is up! :D I've been gone from AFF for a while, but I hope to update the new one soon~ Might have to wait til after finals...but I get the feeling I'm going to update before then XD