v.

Within Us

   "...hyung, it's not there!", she listened as the young boy hold onto the phone, standing on the tips of his feet near the shelf. The top of it is not visible from where she is standing but she can clearly see his hand moving like how a blind person would when they touch something.

   "Hello?" now back to his stance, briefly brushing his dusty hands over his pants. He remained still for a moment and tuck the phone inside his front pocket.

   Just before she wanted to speak, he turns his body around then scurries towards her. "He hanged up on me...well, he must've misplaced it or he already gave the record to someone else." he shrugged.

   "Oh it's okay." nodding hesitantly, she replied. Probably he gave it up already looking at it had been over a week since she last came. In her mind, she tried coming up with rational reasons why she lost the record again. Even before it belongs in her possession this time.

   "If he drop by, I'll make sure if he still keep it. I mean that's all I can do for now." the boy had his eyes at her, glistening.

   She thought hard during those moment of exchanging glances. "Thank you. But-"

   "Wait! Don't thank me first! It's still no guarantee you will get the record, okay. First of all, here-" placing a torn piece of paper; specifically newspaper on the table across them then a pen on top of it,"-name and contact number."

   "Hmm...it's gonna be a burden for you, I supposed. I'll just come back next time to find out." she quickly bring herself to the exit without bothering him calling for her.


   As much as she feels guilty at him for her sudden leaving, the thought of what might happen next sent chills across her body she couldn't help but bailed the place. Presumably those feelings puts her mind into sudden paralyze. No one can know her being. Even one person could cause calamity, on everything.

   The phone rings for minutes before she read the name appeared on the screen, adjusting her breath before answering.

   "What took you so long to pick up?" a man's voice asked across the line. He sounded like he's whispering, worried.

   Once she hears his voice, she started having a clenching feeling in her neck as if something's choking; not from outside but inside her. Fingers grasped onto her side, she struggles to make out her word.

   "Howon-" by the time she slurred it out she begins losing air around her. Like her whole body is into a place where she's unable to sense anything but her presence alone. She's crying but no tears is flowing out. She's sobbing but she's not even breathing. It's numbing. 

  "Where are you? They are sent to track again, stay in the house and try not to go out if you can." he musters the words like he's reading a scripted paragraph without any obvious emotions blended in it. She nodded her head trying to withhold whatever's garnering inside . limiting her breath. She heard noises across the line when the person she called Howon suddenly coughed loudly, she listened to the what's coming next, groans. It puts her into pain as well as how he must be in now, she felt helpless but she knew he will endure it.

   After a while the sound stop all she can hear was someone's breathing hard and deep. 

  "I'm okay so please if you're out, go back now." he managed to voiced in the middle of his short breath.

   "Until when do I have to run? I'm putting all the sufferings on you. All you-" she seemed to lose it again.

    Howon heaved a sigh "He's my father, Jaeshin. He can beat me all he wants but he would not let me die. At least not until he found you."

   He was right about that. He's going against his father has it's price. He protecting her takes whatever amount of pain he could bear. Even it's his own blood, he won't give her up. She was not the one to be blamed despite how things happened.