i.

Within Us

   It was a hot and windy day when I finally arrived in the place where I am working in. I just started college nearly a month now. Just recalling on the first day in there is sufficient to make me feel dizzy, the pace is too fast for me to enjoy so I was not entirely amused. Mother called everyday talking about things as if I care to know but I'm glad she did because she somehow made me feel comforted. As if I never left home at all.

   "Live well there and don't feel obligated to come home. Just live well." that was what my mother said when I told her I'll be leaving for college in the city. It was already hard for me to live apart from her and it hurts me more she seemed indifferent about me leaving. Sure we both knew it's not like I would never return but she made it sound like returning after leaving is not what she expects from me. I may take words too deep sometimes. She even put her hands on top of my head for a time once while I was packing. That was the second time I ever recalled she did.

   Memories. I have them all but I'm never sure if I have it right. The more I wanted to remember the more I forgets.

   A ring from the bell hanged on the door brought me back to my senses. I took a glance at my watch, it's almost closing time. From behind the place I'm standing I watch as a girl makes her way across the shelves, back towards me. She have a shoulder length hair with one side tucked behind her ear. Judging from the way she dressed; over-sized sweaters, bleached jeans and... I had to stare for a while to make sure, I am pretty convinced she's wearing a house slippers without any socks on.

   "Miss, we're about to close. Sorry but you can come back tomorrow." I try to give out my best apologetic smile and also the appropriate intonation. She keeps wandering around the shelves obviously ignoring me. I waited as she moves closer to where I am so I can inform her again.

   "Sorry again but it's almost closing time." I did the same effort in making it sound not offending at all.

   "Yet..." she muttered still pasting her sight to a wall of posters. I wonder if she's not in her right mind but she looked too neat to be one. She smells nice to be a beggar too. Not that I have been sniffing, I can't deny her lemon-like scent piercing into my nose once she entered the store.

   "Miss?" I tried again with more volume this time. And also this time she seems unaffected. I almost lost it when I heard her sighed softly then reaching out her hand to one of the records, holding it at the end of her second finger and thumb on the top. Like it is something she had to make contact with unwillingly. Her face expression doesn't go along her gestures thou. She looks rathers calm and unimpressed however part of it tells me she is indeed feels contented.

   "Would you like to have that? I can-" also Im hoping she already found what she want. "You said about." She looked at me before turning away again. The split seconds a full glance of her face is enough to make me stunned. Her perfectly curved eyes, a side-slendered nose, pale pink chapped lips and thick eyelashes captured the whole frame of her face. All of it was vividly delineated for me like I am looking at her still image.

   "About what? I honestly don't know much about these bands Im only a part-timer here." Right, I don't. Being a records collecter myself is not the one reason I chose to work here than in the convenience store. Surely it's not. It is my only reason. This girl may be bored if I ever talk to her about bands anyway. She nodded slowly.

   "The store, I mean. You said it is about to close. Almost for closing time." So she did listened after all."Yes. You may come again tomorrow." "It is not closed, yet isnt it? Im not sure about coming here tomorrow..." she still have the record on her hand only this time she holds it using both of her hand.

   "Well if you'd like to I can reserve that for you...?" I asked pointing briefly at her hand.

   She suddenly smiled and put down the record carefully. "Sorry for delaying your time. I can be a bit undecisive at times." I didn't try to give a response but smiled at her speech. When she stare at me and smiled back, not that I can be sure it's a smile at all since she just have her lips pressed together. I was a bit uncomfortable with her gaze locked on me worried she'd find any flaws in me. Her gaze is really intimidating even though she do blinks frequently. Like what Im used to that shouldve make stares to be more softer but hers not.

   "It's okay." I bring my sight to my sides randomly and laughes forcefully. This girl really makes me insecure. "Then...thank you!" her voice rose. She really smiled too. After putting her hands inside her sweater she walk towards the door, pushing it open with her body. She just left and disappeared in the dim streets. Of course not practically disappear like she suddenly vanished into dusts. She walked away until I can't see her anymore in less than 15 seconds.Accurately it took her exactly 9 and a half seconds to 'disappear'.

   "9 and a half." I keep muttering at myself. After Im done closing, 9 and a half still lingers in my head. Somehow I can't afford to wait for tomorrow to come. I saved the record for her. Just in case she decided to come again.