iv.

Within Us

   The door swung open loudly as he walks into the store or more like throwing himself in with all strength that's left. All of him are drenched completely his whole body size seems to become fluctuated by the soaked clothes sticking onto his scrubbed white skin. Every time he tried to lift his leg to attempt a step also every time he feels the agony as if sandbags are tied onto it. He starts dragging his feet along to finally make it away from the furious raindrops which had been stinging his body he was positive the one that's falling is not water but cold little stones with sharp edges. Probably not as sharp as the pain he's enduring in his throbbing head, even now his visions are still disrupted.

   He fell down after few seconds only hearing loud voices calling his name repetitively. Instead of wanting to answer, he wanted to ask but he couldn't. He shut his eyes praying it'll only takes a second for him to gain himself. The body disagrees. He is now unconscious.

 


 

   "Tell me again you didn't just run to the store because I couldn't find the record." the bright looking kid glares at me for the umpth times, he was already there beside me when I woke up.

   The question to his desired answer was what in the world was I thinking after I did what I did; taking account that was how it is sentenced by him.

   For several times I've been giving him the same reason, "Help you find the record..." which he indicates as somehow arguable. True that doesn't fit myself and this situation. I don't hate rain however being someone who falls sick easily, I always give my upmost effort to avoid it. Sprinkles only capable of infecting me with cold, sky waters symptoms curse. Running definitely not to my favor just for the sheer fact it tires me out.

   "My reason can't be any more rational than that and uhh...did she left?" trying to make up the appropriate words for the sentence itches my brain, technically speaking.

   He grunts softly continuing flipping the pages of a newspaper held onto both his hands. For someone as young as him, I am impressed he have wide knowledge about world economics looking at his bipolar-like personality and I meant it in a good way. He can be a child at a time then into an adult with life-long experiences. It fascinates me how he is able to carry it all in him without 'bursting'. I still burst once in a while.

   "She said?" if I have a brain translator that wouldn't sound so awfully awkward. He turned his head at me, eyes wide opened. "I don't understand this speech game or whatever it is you're doing, seriously hyung. You looked-" his between forehead forming wrinkles, "-supressed."

   Reaching for the nearest thing I randomly throws an unused record box at him. "What is that supposed to mean? You're not even sure what the word means!" He didn't flinch a little but laughs loudly.

   "You wanted to see her, didn't you hyung...?" now his lips pressed together, smiling.

   I know he wasn't teasing because he knows I don't keep records for people until I decided to, the night after I met her. 9 and half broke my taboo. Like how he terms it, she's my taboo breaker. He told me not to fall in love with her once jokingly because she'd might break my other taboos as well. I told him we don't choose who we love and originally I don't have taboos.

   It is still raining fortunately not like before. Before I was searching for my cellphone I realise I don't have it with me and so as my other stuffs. How absurd it sounds I need to go back to the studio before they close it down. My head still hurts although I can see clearly now.

 


 

   He stands in front of the store, walking side to side in few small steps with his arms folded tightly onto his chest. The pavement starts getting drained to the level it makes a splash sound everytime he moves. Heavy rain floods places. Heavy snow blocks areas. Anything excessive brings unpleasant effects. So does feelings, he thought silently singing few parts from his recently added listening tracks.

   "You don't have an umbrella, too?" A loud voice out of nowhere surprises him. Looking around at his surrounding he is paused by the presence of a hooded person beside him. She have her hands tucked inside her jacket,  not even fully up to half her fingers.  Her eyes locked on him maybe waiting for a response. He breathes out soundlessly as possible after carefully studying her features.

   "Eh?" He said nearly squeaking. "Looking at my condition, isn't it obvious?"

   She blinks emptily at him and let out a huff. "There are possibilities. You might have an umbrella but it broke so you get drenched or you simply left it at home."

   "What?" He asks, clearly lost with her statement.

   "Or..." ignoring his question.”-you're just plain stupid."

   Not knowing how to react he unknowingly reaches over to her arm, pulling her close to him. Harshly it made a bumping sound when their body met. He didn't know why he did that whether he's mad or he's just...plain stupid.

   "You're shivering because you're cold or because you wanted to punch me so badly?" no sign of surprise at all in her tone. He looks down to her face then it all rewinds back to the lemon scented night, first memory of 9 and a half.

   No. He mumbled focusing his mind back to the present. Those memories given by the person he's holding now. Of her. It's her.

   "You're here...?" slowly he pulls his hand off from her arm and backs away.

   "I thought you were calling for me."

   Still backing away, he stayed still convincing himself he's probably having illusions. That moment passes until the rain stops completely the skies are red beyond the horizon. He went straight home founding all his stuffs placed in front of his door, maybe Roy brought it back for him. A piece of note pasted on his doorknob confirms it. Right after he took his bath, he set down on the bed ready to sleep. At 4 am, he is still wide awake. Hours later once the sun is up, when he wakes up his shivers are gone. So as yesterday.