ii.

Within Us

 

   "When are you coming home?" she asked after having done of telling me about her day. I laughed and point out question now and then while she would keep talking sometimes even ignoring whether I am responding or not. I honestly don't really listen to it but her way of speech brightens my mood. My little sister who would cry if I brush her off because at times I do get annoyed. I was really young back then with her to take care of, it was really burdensome. As we're growing up I start looking for her the best way I can so she don't get hurt. I know that sounds impossible or I'd have to keep her out from the real world. I guess it's just my brother's instinct.

   "I haven't even settled myself here yet what are you saying..."

   She made a clicking sound across the phone. Whenever she don't wanna listen she does that, I can picture her widening her eyes mocking. "You promised to come home once a month! Do you want to be sinned due to broken promise?" protesting, with a high-pitched voice.

   "Nope. You made that promise yourself." true I remember her talking about it but I never agree. This kid seriously have her own way of manipulating people. She sighed out a loud breath."Okay...let me just die here alone without my beloved brother beside me... Like he even care if I am living..." I don't like it when she's acting all dramatic about small matters.

   About she is going to leave the world by herself soon before she have the chance to do anything she wants. How she won't be able to see me grow old and have white hairs. How she herself would not grow old at all. Because it is the truth she stated, I hate it.

   We said our goodbyes on the phone after she managed to make me promise to come home on the weekend. She will have something prepared for me, she said. I just have to wait until weekend's here and I will know.

 


   The store is almost empty with couples of customers wandering around the area clearly purpose-less. Maybe they're one of those people who were passing by the street and saw the store before they decided to enter it. They come without any specific intention also they leave with an unstructured ones, they have no second thought of coming back again. That's what he think as until now he failed to see anyone came twice. Meeting new faces every single day used to excite him however now the feeling of it has turn into what it feels like when he is waiting for someone he don't recognise but knew by heart that person is indeed the one that he waited for.

He thought of stopping. Stop his own world then put things into their rightful place. Continue the time, stopping whenever there's a mess. If only he could, everything will be okay. Will always be okay.


 

   It's sunny today too. The bright light came unwelcomed through little lines of gaps between the pasted posters on the window, greeting my skin with warmth. We only have one functioned air-cooler and that certainly situated exactly above my head. I sit behind the counter most of the time. I don't intended to but I can't help it having to deal with those people giving me sneers everytime I tried to help them. Obviously that is not how it works here in the city where you don't really usher the customers but they seems to prefer bringing themselves for help if they need it. Thus, behind the counter I always am.

   The bell ringed after a while the scent begins floating around me. I forgot about the smell anyhow it is the same one from the other night.

   "Hey can you help me?" the person is now standing infront of me her voice is very clear to my sense. I bring my face up with strong recall of details on her face. This one is not the same, I tried convincing myself she is the one but my heart tell me the other. She has long curly hair instead of the shoulder-length and her eyes are slanted too distinct for a strong gaze.

   "Excuse me?" she asked in confusion. Probably shocked at my lack of response other than just staring at her. "Sure what are you looking for?" smiling at her feels weird because I wasn't really looking at her but what she's wearing. She chuckles lightly before continue telling me her request. It took not long for me to find the record she wanted. I've been keeping it aside personally for over a week now.

   I sent her away with a brief wave since she waved goodbye too. Maybe for an hour I just stood there watching the empty roadside. Should I move or not, I don't know. I can't figure anything. The smell. The sweater. The record. It was all hers. That is all the memories of her I remembered. Why it wasn't her if those all reminds me of her?

Did I get it wrong? I'm starting to forget.

 

   9 and a half, it's not her.