iii.

Within Us

7.30 am

   I woke up by the sound of the neighbour locking his front gate. The fact that he owns an old set of door which creaks whenever it moves; it can't be helped but tolerated.

8.15 am

   Made toast for breakfast and cup of plain black coffee. I sat on the table longer because it's still quite early to leave for class.

9.20 am

   Rode the 202 bus to college. Almost forgot my drumsticks and decided to walk back to the house. Almost missed the bus for that.

9.40 am

   "Yo man!" one of the guy in my class shouted from far while I am walking down the hallway. I'm not sure what his real name is but people around call him Roy. He's really tall and have big eyes, he have plenty of piercing on his ears too. Despite of that, he is a bright person whose innocence still remains unstained. The type of guy who shows great logical and rationality when talking, Roy’s appearance doesn’t really fit his personality. I take that as his charm.

   "Changsub-ah!" he called out again.

   "Roroy...! You look motivated today what's up?" I placed my hand over his shoulder I can barely reach. He brushes my hand away and put his hand on me instead. "Don't I look like this all the time, huh??" smiling widely showing his gums. "No." I replied coldly.

   Not satisfied, he throws me a soft punch on my shoulder and we giggles like little kids. Roy is a person I'm comfortable with since I came here. His cheerful personality brings me peace, when I'm with him I can just forget everything that happened or happening or will happen. He has those kinds of effects on everyone around him, just another charm of his I assumed.

   "I gotta go. See you later and bring some foods okay." he told me before getting lost in the ocean of faces. He skips classes like it's nothing important. The lecturers didn't care because his grades are always on top. Some people made fuss about the lack of authority. They immediately stopped complaining when they found out about the sheer fact his father owns this place. I didn’t know too until I heard some random dude rambling about it in the washroom. People started seeing him as – now I remember his real name is; Lee Sungyeol after the news broke out, but he is still Roy to me.

10.10 am

   The misery starts.

 


   Banging sounds can be heard through the walls once he entered the 2-storey building. The white wall is clean without any stains or sticking bills and the interior lack creativity but functions. Ironically, this is the where the music students play their tunes out. Between those rooms you can listen to different genres if you keep walking. With few extra steps, everything changed. It's like being in a totally new dimension without time as restriction. Those spaces are like his own time machine. Rather than the urge of escaping reality, he prefers to call the purpose of wanting to jump across time as a way of redefining it.

   He walked straight to the end of the hallway, reaching for the endmost door with a small card pasted on it says “Studio 7”.

   “Oh? You’re here early.” a faint voice echoed coming from the direction where he originally came from.

   A tall figure is making his way towards him with two plastic bags held on his right hand; he can confirm it all contains variety of snacks. Thinking of it, he was supposed to bring some too he scurries at the figure quickly reaching his hands out for the bags before it is snapped back from him. He watches as the man in front of him look at him in disbelieve, somehow sheltering the foods far beyond his both touch and sight.


   “You didn’t bring anything, didn’t you?” he asked, wincing his eyes at me.

   I opened my mouth but nothing came out except choking sound so I grinned at him with my most possible sweetest grin I can ever imagine to pull off. For the record, I do…in fact do not bring anything with me except a pack of opened gums I’ve only discovered in my front pocket while walking to the place. Roy’s eyes still hovers around me probably searching for something he’s hoping for which he’d never find due to my short memory-span.

   “YAA!!” he suddenly screams in frustration. It took him after a moment to realize the situation now is indeed how he expected it to be earlier. Putting down the plastic bags back to his side, he moves slowly to the door as if I am invisible. “Today…you are on diet.” turning the doorknob as he talks. When I was about to reply, he turned his head around and smiles through his heart content which rings the bell for me; that is his slyness creeping on. “Lee Changsub, we all here support you no matter what it takes! Well as long as it’s not the food. That I bought by myself!” he scowls then laughing loudly as we both step into the room. He’s evil in his own way.

   Just as what he stated, I was forbidden to touch anything that he brought. In our circle, that is the unspoken rule we have to obey. If you go to practice, you bring foods with you or you don’t get to eat at all during breaks. It is torturing for me who have large amount of insanity to supply for my alter-ego as the food-maniac. Roy is always enjoying himself at my misery every time I forgot. We wrapped up the session right after the other guys excused themselves for the day. I was talking to Roy about our next upcoming performance when my phone rings, a call from the store.

   “Hello?”

   There are no responds but only faint voices engaging conversations can be heard from the phone. Someone might have accidentally dialed my number, the kid who also works as a part-timer in the store tends to do that. He is not that little but he is still in high school, at least for me he is a kid. I glanced at my watch to make sure the date; it’s not my shift today.

   “Erk…where are you?” finally someone is talking on the other line.

   “Why?” I asked casually, not out of curiosity but just for the sake of replying.

   The person is breathing hard as if he is moving around in hurry, I can clearly listen at the sound of him flipping the records and murmuring once a while.

   “Hyung, there’s someone here asking about a record. I can’t find it anywhere and she said you knew which one she’s talking about. You told her you’ll help her keep it-“he musters.

   “It’s on top of the shelf near to the desk…”

   Again, I can hear his walking steps; it’s not long means he’s probably already standing close to the place. He sighed.

   “I can’t…reach it. Why did you- wait where is it…hyung, it’s not there!”

   Suddenly a flashes of images plays in my head, like a slideshow it keeps turning into new static pictures. In the milliseconds my mind went blank leaving me nothing but scatters of remembrances. Unaware of what exactly caught me after that now I found myself further bringing my legs to move in a faster pace. At the corner of my eyes, anything that I am passing is becoming blurred as my speed increases thus finally forming a blur wind-like motion on both of my sides. On the midst of my unexplained reactions, I can feel the clouds definitely not on my side today as my hairs getting drenched and my jeans is getting heavy because of the wetness. My vision also blurs itself, however I keep going not caring of anything that may result from the now my distorting senses. I can’t breathe properly to the point I didn’t found myself respiring as much as my body required. I don’t know what drives me. I don’t care what it is that made me this way.

   Just one thing, I have to see her.