Chapter 5

Sundae Romance

 

"So first thing you have to do," Ms Jung said after I signed my contract, "-is to write a letter for the idol."

 

Mother had left first since there were some complications with the freezer leaving her friend in complete panic. 

 

"A letter...? But I can't write very well," I said hesitantly. 

 

Quite honestly, my Hangul had improved as of late and I could write certain words already. However, I wasn't really sure I was actually up to writing a letter. A long letter with many, many words. Just thinking about it made my head seriously hurt.

 

"Maybe I could help you then?" Ahjusshi said.

 

My face lit up immediately and I nodded. The other three producers agreed and left the room as they had other work to do and told me to just write the letter sincerely and to my best ability. When it was just me and ahjusshi left, he turned to me and told me that I'd better write it nicely.

 

"This letter is going to be the idol's first impression of you and first impressions are what matters the most, right?" 

 

He had a point. If I appeared rude or fanatic, he'd definitely have a bad impression of me. I had to write something to make him remember me by.

 

"Okay, I think I've got it." I said, an idea suddenly popping up in my head.

 

Ahjusshi leant forward as I started to write on some lined paper they had given me.  I managed to write out the first few words but progressively, I had to ask for ahjusshi's help a ton of times. Ahjusshi taught me how to write many of the more complicated words that I was absolutely clueless about. He seemed very willing to teach me and was super patient even when I couldn't quite grasp the correct way of writing certain words.

 

"It's done!" Smiling, I raised up my letter proudly after about half an hour.

 

It was a whole 3 pages of my handwriting which was a definite far cry from my usual one page essays I did in school. 

 

"And who's to thank?" Ahjusshi said, stretching his arms above his head.

 

He must've been exhausted from teaching me. 

 

"Ahjusshi, of course!" I laughed and scanned my letter again.

 

"Shall I read it out to you then? I think I can read it all out." When I was on my high horse, there was no getting me down.

 

Ahjusshi gave me his signature eye roll but nodded for me to go ahead.

 

"Dear Mr. Idol,

It's me, your wife! I'm 18, soon to be 19 and I'm in my last year of high-school (victory!). Unfortunately for you, I'm not an idol! So please, try not to outshine me too much on the show. But then again, more air-time for you sounds good too. Kekeke."

 

Ahjusshi snorted when I giggled which made me wrinkle my nose at him but he waved me on.

 

"One interesting thing about me is that I just move here from America. I speak English and Korean well, but I can't really write Hangul. Actually, one of the PD-nim is helping me with this. (I'm being very sincere here though, trust me!) But because I'm from America, I really am hopeless with Korean idols. My friend says I live under a rock but I think that I'm just too busy right now to go and learn every single one of Suju's member's height, weight and blood type. Wait, you're not from Suju are you? Uh-oh.

 

Anyway, I just wanted to tell you this in case you get disappointed that I don't recognize you when we meet. It's not because you aren't famous! It's because I live under a pebble! (Only half an ear sticks out from underneath so I know SNSD and Suju. Kekeke.) Well, that's about it for me! Oh I forgot to tell you what I like and dislike! And I have no more paper. Aish. Forget it, you'll find out over time!

 

I'm really excited to meet you, hubby. Bye!" 

 

Ahjusshi bit his lip for a moment before laughing loudly when I was done.

 

"What's so funny?" I asked, crossing my arms and narrowing my eyes.

 

"Aigoo, your letter is too cute. I wonder if he'll be disappointed when he meets you?" He said cheekily.

 

"Ya! For a grown man, you're awfully mean!" I said angrily, even though I was laughing too.

 

Ahjusshi raised both his hands in apology and took my letter from my hands.

 

"I'll be taking this then, to pass to him when he gets notified he's chosen." He gave my letter a once over and let out a small laugh once again.

 

After thinking for a moment, I reached into my purse and took out an American penny that had been lying in it for way too long. Grabbing a permanent marker from the stationery holder on the table, I quickly drew a heart on it and passed it to ahjusshi.

 

"Pass this to him too, will you? As a gift." Ahjusshi smiled and took it from me.

 

"Why do I have a feeling the two of you guys will be making every ahjumma's heart of the entire Seoul melt? Sweet youth," he says and wipes non-existent tears from his eyes.

 

I try and roll my eyes at him the way he does it to me but all he does is laugh. Curious, I ask him about my virtual husband.

 

"Well, he doesn't know he's been chosen yet. But yes, we have selected an idol." 

 

My eyes widened at the various possible idols that I could get married too but my mind drew up a blank and I was reminded again that I had no clue whatsoever pertaining to idols.

 

Well, it was up to fate then. Whether we worked out or not, it was really all up to fate.

 

***

Minho's POV  (do note that this whole story has been in Mi Young's POV. And quite honestly, I did this POV because I just felt like he needed to have a say somewhere in this. I'm not sure if this is going to be a regular thing because it's really up to my mood whether I feel like writing his POV anot. So for now, it'll just be spontaneous bursts of Min Ho's insight.)

 

One, two, three, four. And one, two...

 

"Stop! Hyung, you're doing it wrong! Your legs are suppose to close in slightly like this," Taemin proceeded to do the step properly.

 

Onew tried his very best to do it the same and somewhat managed to execute it correctly this time. It was one of those days where Taemin was being a total perfectionist. He was usually very lax during practice, but with our comeback just weeks away, he was getting slightly jumpy.

 

"Okay guys! Let's do it again!" Taemin walked over to the stereo and was about to press play but Jonghyun stopped him.

 

"Ya, we've been practicing for 2 hours   already! Let's take a break, okay?"

 

"Fine...but we only get 20 minutes of break!" Taemin seemed reluctant to let us go, but agreed.

 

I immediately dropped to the floor and lay on my back, panting heavily. My body literally felt like it couldn't sweat anymore. My white cotton shirt was soaked with sweat and my hair was slick against my forehead. First thing to do after practice : shower.

 

"I'll go get us some drinks," Key said, leaving the practice room.

 

Taemin was on his Notepad and Jonghyun was reading over his shoulder.

 

"Hey hey! Rumors are going round about a spin-off of We Got Married. Something about an idol being paired with an ordinary person!" Taemin read enthusiastically.

 

Onew's head perked up immediately. "Are we starring in it?" 

 

"Hmm... Nobody's name was mentioned..." 

 

Onew went back to his original position after that; which was making snow angels on the parquet flooring. There was a slightly knock on the door before manager-hyung came in. 

 

"You guys slacking?" He asked sternly.

 

"We just practiced for 2 hours," I spoke up since the others were either too absorbed in today's gossip news or making floor angels.

 

Manager-hyung walked over to the sofa and sat down. 

 

"Kids! Come here." It was funny how he called us kids even though Onew really wasn't much younger than him.

 

Onew and I groaned but managed to drag our worn bodies to him. Key also returned then with the drinks and joined us by the couch.

 

"I have some news for you guys, quite exciting news actually." Manger-hyung said with a slight mischievous tone to his voice.

 

The five of us looked at each other, telepathically asking one another if we knew what he was talking about.

 

"Well, one of you will be starring in the new We Got Married spin-off where you'll be paired up with another girl who's not a celebrity." Manager-hyung finally revealed after a long silence.

 

There was momentary shock. I watched the other four faces show various emotions. Stunned, happiness, hope, and then curiosity.

 

"Who got chosen?!" Key immediately cried, breaking the suspense.

 

"Me? I'm the oldest after all." Onew said, hopefully.

 

Manager-hyung just shrugged and seemed quite pleased with himself. Sneaky little man.

 

"It could be any one of you actually. They'll be filming your reactions when you guys find out who it is. So just a little heads up, they'll be delivering the news sometime today."

 

Such sneaky people. Luckily manager-hyung had notified us beforehand. Or our reactions would've been beyond priceless.

 

"Maybe it's Minho? It's always Minho," Jonghyun said.

 

Key pushed me from my squatting position to the ground playfully and Jonghyun rained punches upon me.

 

"Haven't you heard of giving in to your sunbaes?!" Jonghyun said with mock anger as I laughed and pushed them away.

 

"I think it's Taeminnie. They like to promote him nowadays." I said, trying to defend myself.

 

 The two hyungs immediately switched targets and started to 'beat up' the hopelessly clueless boy.

 

"So I guess there's absolutely no chance of me getting it?" Key said sadly after awhile.

 

"I never get to do anything," Jonghyun said as well, pouting.

 

The two of them picked up the drinks off the floor where Key had left them and started to slurp down theirs. Onew had already polished his off and was thinking silently to himself.

 

"Maybe it's me? It's about time I actually had a relationship," he said after a minute of thinking.

 

The rest of us just stared at him. And then laughed. Even manager-hyung scoffed.

 

"You? Hyung. The only person you're capable of loving is...chicken. And that's not even a person," Taemin said playfully.

 

All of us laughed again and I reached out to get a drink too. But the minute my hand made contact with it, Jonghyun smacked my hand.

 

"Ya, such a privileged boy, you don't deserve this!" He said haughtily. 

 

Taemin tried to get a drink too but got stopped by Key.

 

"Absolutely not! You two are way too lucky to be getting drinks from me," Key added on.

 

Taemin looked on at me helplessly. 

 

"Oh come on, don't be mean. Taemin and I practiced just as hard as you guys! We're going to die if we don't get those drinks," I whined and tried to snatch for it.

 

"Hyung!" Taemin put down his Notebook and launched himself at Key.

 

Taemin sure was getting big; he managed to pin Key down and waved me over to get the drinks from his hands. I scrambled over deftly and swiped two cans from both his hands that he was trying so desperately to keep out of reach from us.Satisfied with himself, Taemin slid off and came over to join me. Clinking our cans together, we slurped up the refreshing orange juice in victory.

 

"You kids..." Key said and tutted but made no further comment.

 

Manager-hyung just shook his head at us, and told us to continue practicing until the PDs from the show turned up before standing up to leave. When he was gone, Jonghyun spoke up again.

 

"Let's do a pointing vote. Who do you think will be getting this show?" 

 

I considered my choices. As previously mentioned, it was least likely to be Onew since he would just make the show seem like a body gag concert. Honestly speaking, I didn't think Jonghyun was a possible candidate as well. After breaking up with Sekyung last year, I think the company wanted him to stay away from girls for awhile to avoid his image turning into one of a playboy. Key was stood a higher chance compared to the other two. He was currently pretty low-profiled and he hardly had any solo projects. Maybe the company was finally giving him a shot? And then there was Taemin. The growing Taemin that was increasingly taking on more and more solo jobs. Girls loved him, no doubt. Out of the other four, I think he stood the highest chance.

 

And me...? Sure, I've been doing some work on my own as well. But I don't think I quite suited this show, not because I wasn't romantic, but because I wasn't the most romantic of the five of us. So, no. I didn't think it was me.

 

"Okay, let's vote. One, two, three!" Jonghyun said, quickly raising his arm to point at Taemin.

 

I did the same whereas Key pointed as himself and Onew pointed at me. All of us immediately raised our eyebrows at Key.

 

"What? You never know. And I take good care of girls," he said. 

 

Jonghyun shrugged, "He's right. We never know. All we can do is wait for them to turn up."

 

Taemin seemed unfazed by the results of our voting and jumped to his feet.

 

"Well, break time's over guys! Practice time!" He cried enthusiastically, going to the stereo again.

 

This time nobody stopped him and the rest of us dragged ourselves to our feet. And even though all of us got into position and danced our entire routine once flawlessly, it was obvious everyone's minds were somewhere else.


 

A/N: Hummm who could it be? ;)

Sorry, I just couldn't resist doing a double upload. Hope you guys anticipate the next chapter!

Comment. Suscribe. Whatever you want to do.

xo