Chapter 11

Sundae Romance

 

Mi Young's POV :

"I don't like surprises." I said after being on the road for 10 minutes.

"I'm sure you'll like this one." Min Ho said simply, keeping his eyes on the road.

"How can you be so sure. I just said I didn't like surprises which means I probably won't like this one." I replied, crossing my arms.

"Really. I'm pretty sure you'll like it though." He didn't even flinch, answering immediately.

"You're that sure?" Our rebuttal war pursued.

"Yes." He finally turned to give me a cheeky smile.

I stared at him for a moment before my mouth turned up into a smile. It really was impossible fighting with this boy. Honestly, who could win when he gave you a smile like that. I might as well be better of dead.

"Eyes on the road, mister." I snapped cheekily, ending our staring war to look ahead.

I couldn't really tell where we were going since I wasn't familiar with the area around Seoul but I could tell we were going somewhere far. The road signs were hard to read all together and I resigned almost immediately. It wasn't that hard surprising me I guess. I hadn't been to anywhere but school, my mum's ice cream parlour, and to town occasionally. Even bringing me to a supermarket would've surprised me, actually.

And I was lying, quite obviously. I loved surprises more than anything. The fact that Min Ho had bothered to think up of a place to bring me already made me feel extremely touched and incredibly special. Damn this boy, was there anything he couldn't do?

On second thought, I doubt he could cook. He just didn't look like he could manage.

I giggled at the thought of him flipping an egg and failing miserably, looking adorably upset.

"What's so funny?" He asked, surprised by my sudden outburst.

His expression of confusion made me laugh even more but I refused to tell him.

"Aren't we reaching yet?" I asked, hoping he would drop the subject.

Thankfully he did without me having to explain my slightly weird imaginations and told me to be patient, rolling his eyes in the process. Somehow, I had a feeling this was going to be one long ride.


Somewhere along our car ride, I fell asleep. I honestly didn't even feel that tired but the peacefulness and stillness of the car lulled me into a deep slumber. It was only when we arrived at our destination was I shaken awake by Min Ho.

Fluttering my eyes open, I was met with his big brown ones. I couldn't have woken up to a better sight. The corner of his eyes were crinkled with humour, probably making fun of how I had fallen asleep in his head. 

"Are we there?" I said in a voice slightly cuter than my own, rubbing my eyes gently.

"Yup. You look beautiful when you sleep, you know that?" He said softly, reaching over to put my seat in an upright position.

"So I'm not pretty all the time?" I punched him in the shoulder, scowl spreading over my face.

"Not with that scowl, you're not." He joked, and quickly got out of the car before I could inflict any more danger upon him.

"Come here you! Don't think you can-" I jumped out of the car and was coming round the car to chase after him when I stopped in my tracks.

The soft crashing of the waves against the shore made me drop my hands to my sides and stare in simple shock and surprise. I stared down at the soft white sand beneath my black wellington boots and took two steps forward towards the sea. The entire stretch of beach was deserted and Min Ho's eyes bore into my back as I walked closer and closer towards to water. It was almost sunset and the temperature had dropped drastically. Curse the winter, I thought silently and rubbed my two hands together, breathing into them; eyes not once leaving the stunning sight.

It was one thing to see the sea in summer time, with it glimmering under the bright sun and feeling the cool sea breeze against your hot and sticky skin. But it was a whole different thing to see the sea in the winter. The water exuded a calm feeling, like a zoo keeper taming a lion. That extent of a feeling. It wasn't beautiful at all actually. Not in the drop-dead gorgeous sight kind of way. Instead, it made you feel tranquil and serene - as cheesy as it sounds. I couldn't stop staring at it.

"It's amazing isn't it?" Min Ho said, coming up beside me. He gave me his signature charming smile and closed his eyes, putting his hands behind his head.

I followed him and closed my eyes as well, taking in a deep breath. This was more than amazing.

After a moment of silence, Min Ho exhaled loudly and slipped off his coat.

"You have got to be freezing," he murmurred, putting it around me. I guess I looked pretty pathetic with only a short red waist coast on over my black lace dress. I didn't know we were going to sub-zero places or I would've been more prepared.

I felt his breath warm against my cheek as he pulled the zipper up, making me look away awkwardly. His coat quickly heated me up, and I smiled slightly at his thoughtfulness. 

"Won't you be cold?" I asked. All he was left with was his wool sweater and a shirt on the inside. It'd be a miracle if he felt warm in all that he was wearing.

"Hmm, of course I will. But it's better if I'm cold than you be cold." He said without a hitch, looking down at me.

I bit my lip and realised we were both facing each other at a very close proximity. Come on, give me a break. Any girl would have felt flustered in my position.

"Pabo," I muttered and pushed him slightly in his chest, still afraid to look him in the eye.

He sighed, catching my fist as it left him.

"Only my wife would curse me after I tried to be nice. Truly, only you Mi Young. Only you." He laughed affectionately and spread my fingers, intertwining his into mine.

Feeling slightly mean after giving him a pretty much hostile attitude throughout the entire filming so far, I plucked up my courage and tugged hard on his arm, pulling him into a big hug. Mind you, this was our actual first physical contact apart from hand-shaking and holding.

He reacted quickly and put his arms around me as well, lifting me up easily until my feet could just barely graze the ground.

I whispered quietly in his ear so the microphones around us couldn't hear, "For everything today...I am very grateful, you should know that right? I want to tell you many many things about myself. About my life; what I do everyday; how I feel. I know I'm difficult at times and I'm sorry for that. But one day, I hope I'll be able to put down my defences and tell you everything."

He was quiet for a moment before he buried his face into my shoulder and nodded,  "I'd wait forever for that day."

I wish we could've stayed like that for the rest of the day, just wrapped up in our worlds without a schedule, or the entire country watching us through their television sets. That moment was truly infinite. (A/N: Woah there. I sense a bit of Stephen Chbosky going on here. hahah. No copyrights intended!)


After watching the sun set at the beach (which was more magnificent than any other sunset I had ever seen), we drove to a nearby restaurant. It was a family-owned one and even though it wasn't a 5-star Italian fine-dining place, it was a perfect way to end our night.

The food was great and I even had some kimchi, due to Min Ho's pressing. And surprisingly, my up-chuck reflex didn't kick in. I wanted to taste some soju but Min Ho told me that it was probably too strong for me, considering the fact that I had never drunk much alcohol before.

"And I want you sober for later," he added as we finished our meal.

"Later...? There's more?" I enquired. I thought our dinner was the end of our night.

"It's a Christmas celebration! We're kind of missing the most important thing?" He raised his eyebrows at me and stood.

"I'll be back in a second," a big smile was plastered on his face now and I was slightly worried about what he was talking about.

Rushing out of the shop, I waited patiently for a few minutes before he came back in, hair blown in different directions from the strong sea breeze outside. And in his hands, he had a gift bag. It was red and green striped with a shiny silver bow on the front.

"For you. Merry Christmas, yeobo." He said after he had caught his breath, passing it to me.

It was so cheesy and so "for show" but I couldn't help but feel touched. 

"You bought me something?" I gave him a doubtful look. A PD-nim had better not be the one who picked it out or I would've murdered him.

"I had a tough time. I figured you weren't the materialistic kind, but I wanted to get you something anyway," he rubbed the back of his neck shyly. 

A sudden thought came across my mind and I quickly placed his gift down. Reaching into my purse, I digged around for it. I'm sure I remembered to put it into my purse in case the chance to pass it to him came by... Finally, I produced the baby blue box I had gotten for him a week ago.

"For you too. I just...it reminded me of you." I laughed as I passed it to him.

Min Ho was shocked for a moment but recovered and looked really glad. "Thank you so much, I'd never thought you'd get me something," he said softly and took it from me.

I reached into his gift bag and was surprised to see that he had given me a similar box except that it was in pink. Hmm.

And at the same time, we both lifted the lid off our boxes.

Cracking up immediately, we both laughed and laughed until our stomaches hurt. He caught my eye for a second and we both burst out laughing again.

I gave him that puppy figurine I had found at Hong Dae that looked like him and apparently, the female one looked like me because he had given me the exact matching one back.

"I can't believe it. I wanted to get a matching one but I thought that maybe it would seem too..gross?" I laughed slightly and continued to stare at our matching gifts sitting in the middle of the table.

"I thought the same," he looked up and caught my eye again, making us both erupt into another fit of laughs.

To everyone, it may have seemed that we were slightly high in Christmas spirits and were laughing from the coincidence from it all. But to the two of us, it was our little inside joke and a slight nostalgia about our previous meeting. 

I guess, he just made my love for surprises blossom even more.


A/N: I know, I know. I've been gone long.

It's just that I've been really busy with school starting back up again and all I just didn't have time to udpate. ;__;

BUT I'M BACK. So, please, here is my permission to kill me.

Anyway, to those who happen to be still around, thank you and you know I love you to the very core. :')

AND THANK YOU TO

Micha0524

peek-a-boo-teddy

InspiritAoiTori

missmei

everydaynine

Priincessg1

dancelover201

yasmeen1109

for subbing. less than three.

Till hopefully not too far away,

xo.

I was surprised to find Baek Su Min in a red coat when I googled 'korean red coat'. I know, it's freaking fate. ;_; MIYOUNG AH.

and here's Min Ho. looking effing perfect as always. his thinking face. /melts.