Chapter 1

Sundae Romance

 

'Welcome!' I cried out cheerily as the front door chimed, signaling a new customer.

 

The middle aged man gave a small smile before shuffling over to a corner table.

 

'Looks like someone's having a bad day,' Mum said to me in English as she wiped the counter dry.

 

'Mm. I'll go take his order,' I replied back. 

 

Picking up a menu, I made my way over to his table and set the menu down in front of him.

 

'Here, our menu.' I said with the biggest smile I could plaster on my face. I took out my notepad from the front pouch of my apron and clicked my pen, ready to take his order.

 

A deep sigh came from him as he flipped through the menu slowly.

 

'I don't know what to have, any suggestions?' He looked up at me for help even though honestly, he looked like he just couldn't be bothered to pick.

 

'Hmm, how about our Lousy Day? It was created just for bad days. You're having one of them, aren't you?' I said playfully.

 

The man smiled sadly at me and laughed. "Is it really that obvious?"

 

"Well, people only come into ice cream parlors for two things. One, to be cheered up. Or two, to get fat." I smiled again as he laughed.

 

"Then I'll get a Lousy Day." He replied, handing me the menu.

 

"Kamsahamnida," I thanked him in Korean as I left the table.

 

Making my way back to the front counter, I passed the order to my mother and watched her prepare it before picking the sundae glass up and making my way back to Mr Bad-Day's table.

 

"Here, your Lousy Day," His face immediately lighted up at the sight before him. Two scoops of Chocolate fudge ice cream with kitkat bars, marshmallows, cookie bits and vanilla sauce drizzled all over heaven was sure to make anyone's Lousy Day turn around.

 

"Thank you," he said as he picked up his spoon.

 

I turned around to walk back to the counter but he quickly stopped me.

 

"Perhaps I could bother you a bit more by having you do me a small favor, Ms...?" 

 

"Mi Young. And sure. I mean, an ice cream parlor is where people are cheered up, right?" 

 

The parlor was empty anyway, so I took a seat opposite from him.

 

He took another scoop of his ice cream before looking up.

 

"I'm working for a television station. My job is to...think of ideas for shows. Good ones that can get great ratings and boost our channel's viewership. But recently, I haven't been getting good ideas. My most recent one which I was so sure would do well got rejected today." A dramatic pause stretched on as he took another mouth of his sundae.

 

"And my boss said that if I don't come up with good ideas soon, I can say goodbye to my job." He sighed and took another bite of his sundae.

 

"Well, honestly speaking, my mum and I just moved here from the States a few weeks ago and we just started business. So, I'm not really familiar with Korean television..." Trailing off, I tried to hint that I couldn't help him much.

 

"Have you ever heard of We Got Married? Where two idols get casted to be on-screen couples and do lovey-dovey things together? I sort of work on that show." I widened my eyes at the sound of such a bizarre show and gestured for him to continue.

 

"Well, recently our ratings have been going down. And my boss thinks it's because the fan girls have gotten sick of the whole concept. He thinks we need to...spice it up a little. So I suggested getting sports idols or renowned people from various fields to take part instead. But I got rejected." A deep sigh leaked from his lips again as he continued to divulge his ice-cream.

 

I rested my chin on my palm as I thought. Well, it was easy to understand why the fan girls loved this show. When you see your favorite idol 'getting together' with an equally attractive and famous star, wouldn't you naturally want to know how a relationship would ensue? And perhaps the fan girls enjoyed seeing cute loving scenes and how their favorite idols behaved as a couple.

 

Processing my thoughts, I watched him slowly devour the contents of the sundae glass.

 

As though a lightbulb had gone off in my head, I punctuated the air with my finger.

 

"I've got it!" 

 

The uncle stopped eating and suddenly put on a very serious expression.

 

"Speak."

 

I placed my two hands together and stared at him dead-on. 

 

"After taking the various reasons of why people would like this show you speak of into consideration, I've come up with the perfect solution."

 

His eyes suddenly lit up with a newfound hope as he leant forward to listen

 

"Let the fangirls participate themselves." Clapping my hands together, I leaned back in satisfaction.

 

He stared at me blankly. I watched his mind roll my idea over and over again in his head before he smiled a bit.

 

"Let the girls get coupled with guy idols?"

 

"And guys get couple with girl idols. Well, obviously make them go under an intense audition and screening beforehand. We can't have any Tom, and Harry getting on the show now, can we?" I smile.

 

"Tom......Harry?" The man repeats. I realize I had said the names out in English and he probably thought I was referring to existing people.

 

"Weird people." I try to explain.

 

He smiles again and nods. "As much as I love your idea, there are too many risks. What if they get too attached and the girl or guy insists on remaining in contact with the idol even after the show is over? Companies are very strict here you know."

 

I mulled this over before quickly replying, “Then make sure all the rules and regulations are spread out for  them to see and understand before they even start auditioning."

 

He polishes off his ice-cream and stands. "You know what, Sundae girl? I think I might just develop your idea. Frankly, I think it's great. Much better than a weather woman going out with the news anchor on dates..." He muttered.

 

I stood and led him to the cashier. "Sure thing! I'll definitely watch the show if it comes out." Giggling as I open the cash register, he hands me his bills.

 

After he collected his receipt and change, he placed a hand on the counter.

 

"Really, thank you. For the sundae and the advice!" He gave me a final nod and left the parlor.

 

"You guys had a long talk, what'd he say?" Mum comes up from behind me and went over to wipe the table we were at.

 

"You know how you say an ice-cream parlor is somewhere you're supposed to be happy at?"

 

She turns around and places a hand on her hip.

 

"I think I made that man happy. And relieved." Smiling to myself, I start to count the day's earnings.

 

"Well done then!" She chuckles and continues cleaning.


A/N:

Hello! That was the first chapter of Sundae Romance. I hope it's okay...so far? ;)

comment. suscribe. whatever you want to do.

xo