Kidney Bean

280 Days

 

Kyuhyun kneeled down and opened his arms, waiting for his son to make his first steps. Sooyoung was holding his milky white, chubby hands in one hand and in the other a camera reordered, to immortalize the special moment. She let go of his hand and he slowly started waddling his way towards his father. Both parents encouraged their offspring, as they watched him smile and giggle. Kyuhyun looked at his son with pride. He was his spitting image, yet there was so much of Sooyoung in him. Both father and son smiled and opened their mouth at the same time. Kyuhyun waited for him to speak his first words. He was starting to mouth them with him when suddenly came a loud shouting voice.

“Maknae! Wake up!” the next thing Kyuhyun knew was that he was getting attacked by his own pillow, in the hands of Kangin. “Wake up!” came a second blow to the face “we are late for our Christmas broadcast and I have stuff to do tonight. So don’t use all the water from the Han River when you shower.”  Kyuhyun grumbled in anger and sniffed around, looking for clean pair of underwear to wear.

“What is so special about online Christmas , anyway? I am pretty sure it will wait for you.” Stated Kyuhyun, pushing Kangin aside and making his way to the washroom, for his shower. Kangin sighted in disbelief.

“You evil person,” snapped Kangin “I am going with my parents to church, besides at least with I am not knocking anybody up,” he smirked and closed the washroom door, leaving a baffled Kyuhyun inside. As much as Kyuhyun wanted to get back at him, he was right about being late and the . He hurried and took a quick shower, then made his way to the vans. They had a long day ahead and he had to be in front of Sooyoung’s door before 4:30 PM. He couldn’t be late, not this time, not on this day and that is how the long staring game with the clock started. 

 

 

Sooyoung was lying in bed, staring at her ultrasound picture and unconsciously rubbing her stomach. The girls had been fortunate enough to finish their broadcasting schedule for Christmas before hand and had been granted both the 24th and 25th off. Most of the girls had taken the opportunity to head back home and spend the holidays with their families. She was lost in thoughts, when suddenly Jessica stormed in their room and twirled around.

“How do I look?” she asked, proudly displaying her outfit for the evening.

“You look stunning,” Sooyoung exclaimed, pushing herself up lightly against the pillow and admiring Jessica’s dress.

“I know,” Jessica playfully answered, sitting herself on Sooyoung’s bed. “Oh is that your ultrasound?” she asked, pushing Sooyoung aside and lying next to her in the bed. “Can I see?”

Sooyoung laughed at Jessica’s bluntness and gave her the picture nodding. Jessica looked at it in awe.

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing, it just doesn’t look much like a baby,” mumbled Jessica, still staring at it “it looks more like a red kidney bean.” Jessica quickly realized her mistake when she saw Sooyoung’s stare.

“I mean it’s good…you are not fat yet. I mean…big? Uh you are not showing maybe?” Jessica didn’t have the time to finish she was quickly cut off by Sooyoung, who was pushing her off the bed.

“Jessica Jung, get out of my bed now” she said snatching the picture back, while giving her a death glare.

“I am sorry,” mumbled Jessica, “it’s not what I meant, I just wanted to say that you still have some time to figure things out.” Sooyoung bit her lip and nodded, as much as she wanted to be mad, she just knew it was Jessica’s awkward way of making things better.

“I was going to ask you if it was possible for me to get a copy of the ultrasound,” kept mumbling Jessica.

“You want a picture of my kidney bean?” answered Sooyoung, half pouting, half in disdain.

Jessica laughed lightly “No, I want a picture of your baby.” Sooyoung smirked and nodded. She was enjoying every single second of her tormenting session, after all it was Christmas she was allowed a little gift to herself.    

“It’s in my dresser’s top left drawer. I printed some for you girls, my parents and…” Sooyoung’s smile suddenly fainted and she looked through out the window at the evening sky.

“And for Kyuhyun,” finished Jessica, looking towards Sooyoung.  “A part of you wants him to be present. Why do you keep pushing him away?” she asked. She could see the tears starting to form in Sooyoung’s big almond eyes.  

“I don’t want him to lose his career, his fans, his work. I don’t want to drag him into something he doesn’t want to be involved with.” Sooyoung replied, still looking outside.

“Have you ever thought that maybe, just maybe the fans, the media, society would leave you alone? Have you ever thought that Kyuhyun is probably in as much as pain as you are right now? Has the thought crossed your mind that Kyuhyun might just want to live a normal family life with your child?” questioned Jessica, taking a copy of the ultrasound and leaving it on her night table, Sooyoung shook her head and sighted.

“No I haven’t. I don’t want to get my hopes up. I don’t want to imagine the perfect ending, because that only happened in books and I would probably just end up breaking my heart even more. All the things you say are sweet, but … I think they would just be a miracle.”

“Well maybe you should believe in miracles,” she answered, grabbing her purse and coat. “I have to go. Krystal and I are going to go to church with our parents and then have supper. You are more than welcome to join us.”

“No, it’s fine, thanks,” mumbled Sooyoung. “I am meeting up with my parents for supper in a few.”

“Is Soojin coming to get you?”

“No, we are meeting at our parents.”

“Okay, just be careful on the roads, I don’t want you and my future nephew or niece dead,” answered Jessica leaving the room. Sooyoung looked at her and chuckled, that girl was so outspoken she couldn’t believe it. She slowly got up and started preparing her outfit for the night.

“Oh, and one more thing,” said Jessica bobbing her head in the room “Believe in miracles Sooyoung. It’s Christmas. This is when miracles happen.” She gave her a wink and ran away to the front door, slowly closing it behind her. Sooyoung stared at the bedroom door and slowly started to dress herself, thinking about what Jessica had said. She pondered on it while she did her makeup and hair Maybe she was right, maybe she should allow herself to hope. When she was finished, she looked at herself in the mirror with satisfaction. She admired her makeup and hair, her eyes slowly drifted towards her dress. It was a simple evening dress, bought online only a few weeks ago. Her eyes lingered around her stomach area and she brought her hands to it. She stared at it, rubbing it, looking for something different. As much as she wanted to find something, she couldn’t, maybe Jessica was right. It would give her more time to plan an exit without leaving doubts in the minds of the public. Lost in her thoughts, she heard the front bell ringing and made a run for it. It was getting late and she didn’t want to get stuck in the Christmas Eve traffic. She opened the door and in lazily asked “How can I help…” she stopped her sentence in mid air, when she looked up and saw Kyuhyun, in a beautiful tailored suit, holding a bouquet of flowers. Their eyes meet and she felt like all her senses had left her. They both blushed, neither of them knowing how to break the silence or even if they wanted to. Kyuhyun handed her the bouquet of flowers “This is for you.”

“Thank you,” Sooyoung murmured, taking the flowers and smelling their wonderful fresh scent.

“Sooyoung,” stuttered Kyuhyun, “can I ask you a question?”

Sooyoung stared at Kyuhyun, analyzing the situation and gently nodded.

“Can…can I have one hour of your time tonight? It will be short, I promise!”

“I can’t,” Sooyoung lied, “Soojin is going to be here any minute to pick me up.”

“Why do you do this to me?” Kyuhyun sighted “I know Soojin is not coming, you always meet up at your parents house. Please, one hour that is all I am asking for. I’ll get you there in time.” Sooyoung looked at him, thinking of what Jessica had told her, and slowly nodded.

“Okay, one hour,” she grabbed her coat and purse, closed the door and they both made their way to Kyuhyun’s car. 

 

 

They drove silently threw the streets, not knowing what to say or how to say it. Sooyoung only broke the silence when they were crossing the Han River.

“Where are we going?”

“You’ll see, it’s a surprise. Now cover your eyes with this,” he handed her a black silk ribbon.

“Why?” she asked, looking at the ribbon.

“Please?” he pleaded. Sooyoung grumbled and put it on.

“You owe me big Cho.”

“I know,” he said, taking her hand and interlacing their fingers together while keeping his eyes on the road.  Sooyoung blushed at the contact of his hand. They both stayed that way for the remaining of the ride, Kyuhyun occasionally rubbing his thumb against her hand. After what seemed an eternity of darkness, Sooyoung felt the car do a sharp turn and slowly come to a stop.

“Are we here? Can I take it off now?” she eagerly asked, wanting to know where they were.

“Yes, but no you can’t take it off,” he answered, getting out of the car and running to the passenger side. He opened the door and helped her out.

“Where are we?” she insisted.

“You’ll see,” he answered leading her down a path. She could fell the uneven ground under her feet, almost like the pathway to a home entrance. 

“What is this? Is this a house?”

“It’s not any house, it’s our house,” he said unwrapping the silk ribbon.

“Our house?” repeated Sooyoung.

“Yes, our house.” Kyuhyun took a deep breath and went on “Sooyoung, I know you are scared and it would be a lie if I told you I wasn’t. But, somehow I just know we can make this work. Both of us, together, we can have this baby, we can be happy. I don’t care what people say, I don’t care what the media, the fans, the netizens say, I just want to be with you. I want to wake next to you, every morning of my life. I want to cuddle with you when it’s cold outside. I want to see your smile and I don’t want you giving that beautiful smile away to another man. I don’t want to see you leave me, for another man or just because you want to. I love you, no matter what. I love you so, so much. That is why, I am ready to give up my career for you and,“ he got down on one knee, taking out a little black box and opening it, “That is why I am asking you to be my wife. Choi Sooyoung, will you marry me?”

“Cho Kyuhyun you are the cheesiest man on earth.”

“So that is you answer?” he looked at her and got up grumbling “I get you a house, I get down on one knee, in this cold, to propose to you, I am ready to give up my career for you and I’ll I get is that I am the cheesiest man on earth?”

“Yes.” responded Sooyoung, taking his hand.

 “What?” he looked at her baffled. “Choi Sooyoung you are such a troll!”

“Yes,” she repeated, tightening her grip on his hand “Yes, I want to be your wife.” Kyuhyun looked at her with rounded eyes and couldn’t help himself letting out a little chuckle.

“Really?”

“Well yes of course, since you knocked me up. I guess I could always try and beg Siwon or Changmin oppa to marry me, but…”

“Hey!” Kyuhyun cut her.

“What?” she said giving him the most innocent look she had.

“Shut up.” He answered; pulling her by the waist, towards him and placing long passionate kiss on her lips, taking Sooyoung by surprise.  They both slowly gave into the kiss, Sooyoung wrapping her arms around his neck and Kyuhyun pulling her even closer to him. Both stood there, kissing each other, forgetting about the world around them, forgetting their problems, and the cold air tickling every inch of their body that wasn’t bundled up. Sooyoung came to realize how much her lips had longed for his, how much her whole body was craving for his touch. She had missed his warm and strong embrace. Sooyoung dared to open her eyes and look into his chocolate coloured eyes. He looked back, straight in her eyes, breaking the kiss, and making her blush even more. He took the ring out its box and slowly slid it on her left ring finger.

“So we are getting married,” he whispered.

“We are,” Sooyoung answered, leaning in for another kiss, but was cut out by Kyuhyun.

“And we are having a baby,” he said, pressing his forehead against hers and looking into her eyes again.

“We are,” Sooyoung repeated with a small shiver.

“Cold?” Kyuhyun asked. “Let’s go inside, I want to show you the house.”

“No, I mean yes, but I am also excited? At the thought of us getting married. It just…it seems so unreal. Do you know what I mean?”

Kyuhyun chuckled “I am sure it’s all part of you plan of getting married before 24.” Sooyoung smile faded and she starred at him in anger.

“Is it too soon yet to make those kinds of jokes? “

“Yes it is,” Sooyoung flatly answered.

“I am sorry,” he said, taking her hand and leading her inside the newly built house.Sooyoung looked at it in admiration. In front of her she could see the kitchen, with it’s marbled counters, stainless steal appliances and beautiful large windows looking towards the backyard. To her left were a long hallway, probably leading to some more rooms, and a set stairs that lead to the second flower. Kyuhyun tugged on her hand and brought her in the living room. The lights suddenly went on and cheering voices shouted: “Congratulations!” Sooyoung turned around only to realize that it was both their parents and sisters that had taken over the house.

“Well I hope she said yes, if not this might be a very awkward Christmas supper,” Ara giggled in excitement.

“She did!” beamed Kyuhyun, grabbing Sooyoung’s left hand and showing them the engagement ring on her finger.

“Congratulations!” shouted everyone again, embracing the couple to congratulate them.

“Well this calls for a toast!” announced Mr. Cho, popping open a bottle of champagne and distributing the flutes. “Sooyoung, Kyuhyun.”

“Oh, not for me, thank you.” Sooyoung politely answered, with a little bow.

“Oh come on Sooyoung, it’s Christmas and you just got engaged take it. I am sure the trainers will forgive you,” he insisted, pushing the glass towards her.

“No thank you, I am sorry,” Sooyoung mumbled.

“Dad, leave her alone!” Kyuhyun interrupted “She doesn’t want to.”

“Oh come on, when did you start defending sobriety? Just one sip. One. Let’s celebrate!”

“No, I am sorry Mr. Cho. I-I can’t,” she stuttered.

“Oh my God! Sooyoung!” her mother exclaimed. “Don’t tell me.” Sooyoung looked over at her mother, of course she would know even before she told her.

“I am sorry mommy,” she mumbled.

“How could you do this? To your own parents!” she answered, raising the tone.

“Honey, relax,” her husband interfered “What are you talking about?”

“What am I talking about? Are you that blind Jungman? Sooyoung is pregnant. That’s why they want to get married so fast.”

“What?” he roared, “Sooyoung is this true? Please tell me your mother is over reacting.”  Sooyoung couldn’t dare to look at her father in the eyes. She couldn’t bear to see the look of disappointment in his face.

“I am sorry daddy,” she breathed out, looking at the floor “I am so, so sorry.”

“Kyuhyun, is this true?” his mother asked.

“Yes it is mother.” Kyuhyun answered, looking straight in her eyes. He needed to be strong, for him, for Sooyoung who was now being soothed by her elder sister.

“Well son,” sighted his father giving him a light pat on the shoulder, ”I am still proud of you. You did the right thing,”

“Did the right thing?” Sooyoung’s mother exclaimed “Your son has most probably ruined my daughter’s career forever. Do you know how hard she has worked to get where she is today?”

“As a matter of fact Madam, I do. My son has been through the same process as your daughter. I do not applaud their initial actions, but I do think they are making the right decision. Now can we please make peace and rejoice over the fact that you and I are going to have our first grandson or daughter in a few months?”  Sooyoung’s mother did not reply. She only looked at Sooyoung.

“And you,” she said, bringing Sooyoung’s chin up “look at your mother when she talks to you. “

“I am sorry mother,” she answered, before being slapped by her.

“Listen to me! How dare you do this to me? How dare you call yourself your father’s daughter? Do you know how much we have sacrificed to get you where you are today? Moving to Japan and then back here? “

“I know, I am sorry,” she mumbled, rubbing her cheek.

“Honey, please,” pleaded Sooyoung’s father “It’s Christmas, it’s the time to forgive and like Younghwan said it’s our first grandchild, we should be happy.”

Her mother looked over at Kyuhyun and asked “And how are you planning on telling the world?”

“President Lee said we would announce the wedding as soon as possible, a statement has already been written and we are going to keep the pregnancy secret as long as Sooyoung’s condition allows us.”

“Sooyoung,” Kyuhyun’s mother intervened “Although I do not approve of what both of you did, you are still carrying a member of our family and doing the right thing by marrying each other. I like you a lot and I always thought that you would be a wonderful wife for my son. I am happy that I will be able to call you my daughter-in-law. If you need anything call me, pregnancy is not easy.”

“Thank you Ms. Kim.” Sooyoung politely bowed her head.

“Please, call me Hana. We are family now,” she gave her a warm smile. “Should we eat?” she giggled, “I hear the Choi sisters have a big appetite.” The small group started making its way to the kitchen to serve the food already prepared before hand. Sooyoung looked at her mother who was still standing in front of her.

“You know I love you? I know how hard you worked, I don’t want you to lose all of it.”

“But, I want to do this. I want to have this baby. I am ready to lose everything for it. I love it. I love it so much.”

“Oh look at my little girl being all grown up and taking care of her own baby. Come here Sooyoung,” she said pulling her into a hug “if this is what you want, then so be it. I’ll help you through it, you are my little angle.”

“Mom?” Sooyoung replied.

“Yes?”

“Don’t cry this is going to be embarrassing.”

“Choi Sooyoung, you need to lose that sharp tongue of yours before you get married!” she said releasing Sooyoung from the hug.

“I can’t promise anything mom.” Sooyoung chuckled.

Her mother sighted and looked at Kyuhyun “Please take care of my daughter, she is my life.”

“I will,” promised Kyuhyun. She gave him a light nod.

“I’ll go help with the supper, you two rest, we’ll call you.” And with those words, she walked away, leaving Kyuhyun and Sooyoung alone in the living room.

“Want me to show you the house?”
“Please,” answered Sooyoung. They walked around the house, looking at each room and discussed what each room should hold.

“And finally, I thought this could be the baby’s room” Kyuhyun said, opening the door to the last room.

“The baby’s room,” repeated Sooyoung, looking around. It was big, with beautiful windows giving to the West. “It’s really true isn’t it?”

“What is true babe?”

“We are having a baby.”

“We are,” he said, pulling her into his arms and kissing her gently. “Sooyoung?” he asked blushing.

“Mmm?”

“Can, can I touch it?”

“O-of course,” she answered, turning as red as Kyuhyun. He slowly brought his hand to her stomach and let it rest there, rubbing it occasionally.

“It doesn’t fell like much,” he mumbled.

“I know it’s still small. Jessica called it a red kidney bean today.”

“A red kidney bean? Not bad,” he chuckled, getting down on his knees and slowly whispering, “Hey, it’s your daddy here. D-do you like your room? Mmm? Daddy and mommy will get it ready for you. We can’t wait to see you, you know, but take your time! We want you to be healthy and strong and please be nice to your mom. She is giving up so much for you. I… we love you.” He placed a delicate kiss on her stomach and got up.

Sooyoung giggled and asked, “Do you really think it heard you?”

“I don’t know. Do kidney beans have ears?” Sooyoung laughed harder and kissed him.

“Don’t know either. You should ask Jessica.”

“Sooyoung?”

“Mmm, yes?”

“Merry Christmas.”

“Merry Christmas Cho.” They stayed a little while longer, hugging each other, happy to be reunited and thinking about the future, when Soojin’s strong voice interrupted them.

“Kids! Come and eat!”

“Kids…” they both scoffed and rolled their eyes, making their way downstairs.

 

The rest of the evening was spent discussing wedding plans, eating – much to the delight of Sooyoung and Soojin – and finally opening Christmas gifts. As Sooyoung closed her eyes that night, in Kyuhyun’s embrace, she thought the her Christmas miracle did happen and for the first time in weeks she fell asleep no longer hoping for her happy ending, but believing in it. 

 

●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●

A/N: OTL it's so late and bad!! I hope you guys are still in a Christmas mood!! Sorry~~

In other news, I really want to get to know you guys!! So talk to me!! I feel so far distant ;__; 

Happy New Year to anybody reading this!! I hope you'll have a blast in 2013!!