Drifting Away

280 Days

 

Sooyoung stared at the fridge, while she gulped her third –large – bubble tea of the day. To say that she was starving, was an understatement, she was beyond starvation. She didn’t know if it was her usual love of food that was making her so hungry or Cho Junior growing in her. She smirked and laughed silently at the nickname she had given her baby. It was stupid, she knew, but it was her only way of feeling close to Kyu. Kyuhyun. The thought of him broke her heart; she kept telling herself that what she was going to do was the best solutions for him, for the three of them. Or was it? She told herself that everything she was doing was for him, for his career. She couldn’t burden him with a child, a family.  She would have to this on her own; she would have to leave. Her thoughts were quickly interrupted as her eyes feel on the pickled radish. That is what she needed. She started cutting the radish into small cubed and then putting them in her bubble tea. She was about to be done with her creation, when she noticed Yuri and Seohyun staring at her.   

“You are not actually going to drink that are you?” asked Yuri in disbelief.

“I am. Why, do you want some?” replied Sooyoung, closing the lid again and inserting the straw.

“Eonnie, it’s gross!” pouted Seohyun “You should stop, it can’t be good for you.”

“I am sure it is Seo, don’t worry. Besides I think there is someone at the door, you should get it.”

“No.”

“What?”

“You are the youngest here Seohyun, to what you are told to do.” Sighted Yuri, feeling a fight brewing up between her two youngest.  

“No, I won’t Eonnie. You are sick, we can all see that, but you chose not to tell us. We can all hear you, when you are in the washroom, you know…”

As Sooyoung began drinking here new drink, the mention of her morning sickness just made her want to vomit, or maybe it was the pickled radish and bubble tea that weren’t agreeing with her stomach.

“I am not sick, okay?” snapped Sooyoung “now go answer the door.”

“Stop changing the subject!” yelled Seohyun.

“I am not,” Sooyoung, yelled back  “there is someone at the door.”

“I’ll take it,” yelled Jessica, running to the door.

“Happy? Now answer me,” demanded Seohyun.

“No I won’t. And even I’d let you help, you wouldn’t be able.“

“And why is that?”

 “Why is that? Do you really want to know?” Yelled Sooyoung.

“Girls calm down.” Murmured Yuri, trying to calm down the escalating situation between the two girls.

“Yes, I do!” answered Seohyun ignoring Yuri’s comments.

Sooyoung stared at her beloved Seohyun. They had been through so much together and she had always been there for her, but at that moment, she just wanted her to leave, she wanted to be far away, far away from everything. Sooyoung stared at her, tears of anger rolling down her cheeks and blurred it out.

“You want to know why you can’t help? You want to know?” Sooyoung raised her voice “You can’t help me because I am five and a half weeks pregnant. No one can help me, no one.” The silence that followed was brutal no one dared to talk. The three of them just stared at each other, waiting for someone to break the silence and then, from a distance came a loud: “What?”   

Sooyoung darted her eyes to see where the voice was coming from. She didn’t need to see the person to know who it was. She could have been blind for all her life and she would still know the owner of that beautiful honey like voice: Kyuhyun. Before she could say anything else, Kyuhyun had taken control over the situation.

“Can you please leave us alone for a moment?” he asked.

“Of course.” Answered the three girls, making their way out of the kitchen, as Kyuhyun made his way in. Kyuhyun and Sooyoung both looked at each other, both not knowing what to say, emotion taking over rationality.

“You forgot to take your shows off,” mumbled Sooyoung while looking away.

Kyuhyun scoffed “So I just learn that you are pregnant and this is the first thin you say to me?” Sooyoung kept looking away. This was not how she had plan things to go. Did she even plan things to go in a certain way? She didn’t even know. Kyuhyun kept looking at her, waiting for an answer that never came. All of a sudden a thought crossed his mind, a thought so chilling that it made him forget to breath, making him dizzy.

“It’s not my child. That is why you didn’t tell me. Who is it? Who is the father?” He spitted out in anger. Sooyoung shot her great big eyes at him, looking him in the eyes in disbelief.

“Of course it’s your baby. How can you say something like that?” she snapped back.

“Oh, I don’t know Soo, maybe because you haven’t said a word about it since the week and a half after you got the results back?” Sooyoung kept looking away, not daring to open again. She couldn’t dare to say anything, because she knew the pain would be too big if she said something. They stood there in silence, Kyuhyun waiting for an answer and Sooyoung fighting the urge to kiss and be hugged by the only man she would ever be able to love as much as him. Kyuhyun stared at her in anger.

“So this is it? You won’t even explain yourself to me? You won’t even tell me how my child is doing? You won’t let me be part the baby’s life? What did I ever do to you Choi Sooyoung?” he made his way back to the front door, Sooyoung trailing behind “I thought we could have been a family. I though you were different” he said stepping out of the apartment and closing the door, before the door was completely shut Sooyoung managed to say “I am sorry Kyu, its already been settled with Lee Sooman. I can’t let myself and the baby be a burden to you.” Before hearing a loud banging noise. With those words she turned around to see her three beloved sisters looking at her.

“Please don’t make me say anymore,” she asked, walking away to her room.

“We won’t,” answered Seohyun.

“Thank you,” murmured Sooyoung.

“Eonnie.”

“Mmm, what is it Seo?”

“I am sorry for earlier, I didn’t mean it.”

“It’s okay Seohyun, I know you didn’t. I am also sorry,” she answered, closing the door. She leaned her back against the door, slowly letting herself go down and sat against the door. She sighted and kept asking herself: What have I done? What am I going to do now?

 

Kyuhyun looked at his watch, 7:10PM, Lee Sooman would probably still be in his office at this time. Sooyoung had mentioned that she has settled things with him, if she didn’t want to give him answers, maybe he could, or at least half of the answers since the kid was 50% of him. He raced to his car and made his way as fast as he could to the SM headquarters. As he parked his car, he looked around to see if there were any fans around, nothing too out of the ordinary. The last thing he wanted was a sea of fans chasing him into the building. Before he had the time to get out of his car, he spotted Lee Sooman exiting the building. He got out of his car, no caring anymore about the fans, and made a quick sprint towards his boss.

“Mr. Lee, can you give me a second?” he asked, puffing lightly from the jog.

“Well good evening Kyuhyun, how are you?”

“I am okay Sir and how are you?”

“Not bad, but I am guessing you didn’t come here just to ask me how I am doing?”

“No Sir, I came here to talk about Sooyoung.”

“Ah, she told you didn’t she?” he asked putting, his briefcase in the trunk of his car. “I thought she would change her mind in the end.”

“Change her mind? No, she didn’t tell me anything, I learned about it while she was having an argument with the other girls.”

Lee Sooman gave him a long stern look. “Let’s talk about inside,” he said turning around and making his way back inside the building. They managed to find an empty practice room and sat down on two abandoned chairs.

“What did she tell you?” he asked, looking at the ceiling.

“Nothing Sir, she wouldn’t even look at me.” A long silence followed.

“I don’t know if I am allowed to say this, but I like you Kyuhyun and Sooyoung, and I want to two, or I should rather say three now, to be happy.”

“Thank you sir,” murmured Kyuhyun.

Lee Sooman kept staring at the ceiling and continued with his monologue “Sooyoung-shi came to me the same day that she got the results back. She was a wreck, she told me all about how she had broken up with you. I let her talk, you know how she likes talking.” Kyuhyun chuckled and nodded. ”She doesn’t want to burden you, Kyuhyun. She knows as well as you and I how unforgiving fans are. She doesn’t want you to suffer because of her, because of your child. She plans to break her contract, she wants to leave the public life as soon as possible, and she doesn’t want this to affect your career in any ways. She is doing all this for you Kyuhyun. You should try and understand her.”

“How am I supposed to understand her when she is leaving and taking my baby away?”

“Because she is giving up her career, to let you be happy. She is giving away one of her most precious things to the person she loves the most, her love of being on stage. Instead of being so demanding and self-centred think about what she needs right now.”

“What does she need?”

“I think you know, if not you must figure it out. Now if you’ll excuse me,” he said getting up “I have my daughters Christmas party to attend to and I am already running late. Good night Kyuhyun. Oh and before I leave, you better not tell Sooyoung about our little conversation. Mmm? What do you think? Goodnight again Kyuhyun.” they both bowed at each other and departed each going to their own final destination. As Kyuhyun drove threw the streets of Seoul, he thought about all the Lee Sooman had told him. He was right; he knew what should be done. He couldn’t help himself but wonder if one day he would too be attending his daughter or son’s Christmas party. Which car would he and Sooyoung take? What would they bring? Would they be late or on time? So many questions yet he still needed to convince Sooyoung to stay.

 

“I am home,” shouted Kyuhyun while entering the dorm and making his way to his room.

“Where were you?” asked Sungmin, following him.

“I was busy,” mumbled Kyuhyun as he took his clothes off and slid into bed.

“Last time I checked, busy was not a place.”

“Can you turn off the light?”

“Only if you tell me where you were.”

“Lights.” Sungmin sighted and turned the lights off.

“So?”

“I was with Sooyoung and then Lee Sooman and we talked.”

“Ah, I see,” answered Sungmin, dissatisfied with the answer he got. They both stayed in the dark, waiting for the other to say something. Finally Kyuhyun broke it.

“I was talking to him, because Sooyoung is pregnant and it’s mine.” He sighted, hugging his pillow and pretending it was Sooyoung, in vain.

“What?” answered Sungmin, opening his eyes into two wide circles. “What are you going to do?”

“Right now, I am trying to figure out how I am going to pass the next level, but I can’t because I am still trying to figure out how I'm going to buy an engagement ring without the world knowing about it. Goodnight Min.”

Sungmin sighted for a second time that evening. It was so typical of Kyuhyun to cut a conversation short. “Goodnight Daddy,” answered Sungmin. Kyuhyun couldn’t help but smile at the thought of being called Daddy. And with the thoughts of a miniature him growing not so far away, he drifted of to sleep. 

 

●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●

A/N: I am in exam period, so I think this will be my last update for at least two weeks, unless I decide to procrastinate. Thank you to all the new subscribers and the old ones for sticking around. Enjoy!!