Marriage and Plan

The Throne

 

When Lee Teuk told him about the plan, he was stunned, coupled with a mixture of happiness and frustrations. The happiness: the plan his appa and he has been working on—they are one step closer to success; the frustration: the woman that he is going to marry is not the one he loves. However, as a person drilled to prioritize state matters over other issues, such as family and relation matters, he knew that the right choice would be to listen to his appa and marry this daughter of General Choi.

“Hyung, are you serious that you are going to marry that girl?” Taemin questioned.

“Yes. It would be helpful to our family.” Jinki vaguely replied, intentionally leaving out the details about the secret plan to rebel.

This was not without reason. At a young age his appa had been focusing a lot in training him to be one of the best young men in Chosun, equipped with sword techniques, martial arts, as well as literature skills, scholar-wise. His appa has always told him to aim high, to aim for the throne, and that nothing is impossible as long as he trains hard and follows the path his appa has paved for him. As a result when Taemin was born he was often neglected, even when he was just an infant and probably required the care of his appa and omma. Since Lee Teuk was always busy with teaching Jinki, Taemin was taken care by his omma, Princess Kim Taeyeon. As time grew, Taemin became closer to the royal family instead of his own appa. This was also the reason why he views King Kim Taein as his second appa, because even the King treats him better than his own appa. When Lee Teuk discovered it, it was already too late. Taemin was already loyal to King Taein, and he knew that he would not be able to call his second son to work with him towards the rebel plan. Jinki was also told by Lee Teuk to not mention a single thing to Taemin.

But seriously, did you think that Taemin was unaware of everything? No. In fact, Taemin was very aware of the happenings around him. He knew about his appa’s plan to rebel, when Lee Teuk constantly called for Jinki for discussions, intentionally leaving him out in all the details and events. However, he was also aware that the ability and the kind of support his appa has gotten was still insufficient enough to be regarded as a threat to King Taein, but that was before the “marriage for benefits” plan. He knew that General Choi owned 5 million troops and that number is definitely not something that one could easily ignore and disregard.

“But you don’t like her right?” Taemin probed on, hoping to discourage his hyung.

“Affection can be cultivated over time.” It isn’t sure if his reply was intended for Taemin or was it to convince himself. After all, there was this girl that he had been captivated by, and he badly wanted. He wasn’t sure if marrying a different girl would help, or would it worsen his desire for her.

Taemin reckoned that no amount of persuasion would help. Thus, he decided that the only way he could help is to inform King Taein about the happenings. He found an excuse of “catching up with Prince Kai” and left for the palace.

“If what you’re saying is real, I guess as the King I have to do something. What’s your opinion Advisor Kim?” King Taein commented after Taemin reported what he had known.

Jonghyun thought for a moment and replied, “We will need to make sure that his family doesn’t have the luxury of time to plan ahead.”

“I agree with that, but what kind of trouble can we set up for the Lee family?” King Taein continued.

An idea hatched in Jonghyun’s mind. “If they are going to make use of a marriage to support their plan, we can also make use of a marriage to sabotage them.”

Fear struck in Taemin. Was he going to be “the one to be married”? King Taein noticed his expression changed. He managed a laughter, then commented, “Don’t worry Taemin, we’re not referring to you.” Taemin heaved a sigh of relief. However, what he didn’t know was that King Taein hasn’t finished his sentence. “You have a more important task to do.”

That decision sealed his fate.

“By order of King Taein, son of General Choi Siwon, Choi Minho would be wed to daughter of Princess Kim Taesun and Prince Jung Seyong, Jung Sooyeon in three days’ time.” The King’s servants announced respectively at the Choi and Jung residences.

“Ottoke?” Sooyeon kept walking in circles inside her room. “I need to tell him about this…” She concluded mentally and brought her pigeon out from its cage. She carefully wrote a letter, rolled up the paper and held it in its place with a red string. Then she tied the letter on the pigeon’s leg and released it from the window. Just then Soojung entered the room.

“Unnie what are you doing?” Soojung exclaimed in surprise. She thought she saw her unnie delivering a message with her pigeon.

“Soo…jung…” Sooyeon froze in her action while the pigeon flew off to its usual destination.

A pigeon landed on the window of Heenim’s Place, definitely the name coming from the person staying inside, Prince Heechul.

Today I have received the order to be wed to General Choi’s son. I wish I could do something to prevent the marriage from happening. I wish you would do something for me.

Sooyeon

Heechul was shocked at the news. Well, despite him living inside the palace, he had not heard a single piece of news related to this major problem coming his way. He decided to have a talk with his King appa.

“King appa, why is there the sudden decision to marry off Prince Jung’s daughter?”

“Heechul, King appa is doing this to save our throne. Besides is there anything that you’re particularly concerned about?” King Taein replied.

“Yes.” Heechul decided to be open about his relationship with Sooyeon. However, before he was able to tell his King appa anything, King Taein halted him in his words.

“Heechul, remember that you are the crown prince. Nothing should matter more than state affairs, and that includes your affections and desires.” King Taein reminded.

DAMN. That just meant that his King appa was not going to accept any form of his reasoning, since they are all based on his “affections and desires”. Heechul thought to himself.

“So you mean that you have been with Prince Div for 2 years?” Soojung exclaimed in surprise after Sooyeon told her the story between Heechul and her.

“Shhhh…no one should know about this.” Sooyeon warned her sister.

“But…” Just when Soojung was about to say something, a flapping sound diverted her attention. Soojung stared in disbelief as the pigeon flew and landed at Sooyeon’s window, a rolled up paper tied to its leg. She had always heard of the “pigeon delivering letter” saying but she never thought that she would be able to witness it first hand, not to mention the person being her unnie. Sooyeon retrieved the paper and smiled at the contents of it. It was short, but it expressed all his love.

Let’s leave tonight. Meet you at our usual place at 2300

Heenim

“Unnie you’re really leaving?” Soojung held tightly to her unnie’s arm and questioned.

“I have to do so. Tell appa and omma that I’m really sorry.” Sooyeon looked into Soojung’s tender eyes with hers.

“But unnie…” Soojung pleaded. Their sisterly attachment was so strong that Soojung could never imagine life without her dearest unnie.

“Mianhae Soojung. Take care of yourself, and take care of appa and omma for me.” Sooyeon then proceeded to packing her items.

Soojung felt like the world was collapsing on her. So many things happened in one night, she thought to herself. But what she didn’t know was that the worse has yet to come.

“Appa, if what you told me was true, then this wedding…” Minho talked to his appa.

“Yes, this wedding would be a lot of trouble.” General Choi finished his sentence for him.

Minho frowned. His appa had told him stories about his family and the Jung family: the rivalry that existed between the family because of a tiny incident that blew up and caused the death of General Choi’s brother, who used to be a fellow General who served the late King Kangin together with Siwon, which led to the hatred that bore in Siwon’s heart today.

“But it would be hard to refute that sacred degree from King Taein.” Minho continued.

“Exactly my point…” General Choi replied.

“So I guess I will have to go along with it.” Minho concluded. General Choi did not say anything further.

The next day…

“What did you say? Sooyeon is missing?” Princess Kim Taesun exclaimed at the shock of the news.

The servant stuttered in her reply. “Yes…Prin…cess.”

“Scatter all our servants around. Make sure to find First Missy.” Princess Kim Taesun commanded.

“Yes!” The servant replied.

Soojung stared as she saw the bunch of people running outside to search for her unnie. Only she knew what had happened to her…but she would not say out a single word about it. It was a deal between her unnie and her, a sisterly trust that she would not betray. Besides, her unnie is probably far away from here already, with her man by her side.

Prince Heechul, take care of my unnie. She silently prayed.

On the other side, the palace is also in a state of havoc because the Crown Prince is missing.

“Find the Crown Prince. All of your heads are going to roll if none of you succeed in finding the Crown Prince.” King Taein commanded in a harsh tone.

“Yes King!” All the servants and warriors searched the palace.

Of course, to no avail. It had been hours since they have left.

“Reporting to the King, Princess Kim’s daughter Jung Sooyeon is also missing.” The servant reported.

“What? Find Advisor Kim here right now!” King Taein commanded.

“Yes my King!”

Jonghyun arrived in hurried steps.

“Anything I can do for you my King?” Jonghyun greeted.

“Jonghyun, there needs to be a change in our plan.” King Taein went straightly to the main point. “Princess Kim’s daughter Jung Sooyeon is missing.”

Jonghyun’s eyes widened in surprise, “so the change in the plan is?”

“Marry off Jung Soojung instead.” King Taein commanded.

Jonghyun stared at King Taein in disbelief. His original plan just went awry against his wish.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello thanks to all the subscribers and comments! Really appreciate them :D

Here i would repeat it for all: this fic is based on

1. taelli

2. minstal

3. jongsica

4. lunew

@frozenyogurt101: i'm sorry but no Kaistal, because Krystal is entangled between Minho and Jonghyun in the story, so Kai would be part of Sulli's triangle instead.

And yeap it appears that there are a lot of character because i borrowed their names, seeing how their surname coincides with that of the main characters. More familiar names will be coming up soon haha. but the main characters are still the 4 pairings.

Lastly, hope you enjoyed this really long chapter. It basically brings out the main incidents that caused the story to really begin.