Twists and Turns in Life II

The Throne

 

Thanks for all the comments! It really feels comforting that you guys enjoyed the previous chapter.

Hope that you all will enjoy this chapter as well :)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Initially Taemin was shocked to find him lying on the ground when he first opened his eyes and felt the surrounding. Then, he recalled the series of events yesterday and looked up at the girl still in her deep sleep on his bed.

Choi Jinri, the woman who will be known as his wife from today onwards.

He went up to her. He couldn’t deny that she had unique features that attracted his gaze, his attention. That mixed feelings that tormented him last night refreshed in his mind. He totally had no clue of how to treat her, how to interact with her. After all, it is his first wedding, first wife, though the words do not imply the possibilities of having a second one. After all, no one knows what the future holds. His marriage was just to delay/wreck General Choi and his dad’s plan on rebelling. Now that he’s considered done with his duty, he doesn’t know what to do anymore.

Jinri stirred in her bed. She turned to face Taemin. Perhaps her subconscious sensed his presence, she opened her eyes gradually, and then widened in shock. She retracted back on her bed.

“What are you doing?” She exclaimed while still half-awake.

“Don’t worry. I won’t do anything to you.” As if out of his teasing mood last night, he replied coldly. Then, as if he remembered something, he continued, “as long as you don’t do anything that harms the King.” He ended with a warning, and then left the room.

Jinri knew that she had to find another path for herself.

“Soojung, omma’s sorry that I cannot do anything to help you.” Princess Kim Taesun caressed her younger daughter, eyes filled with tears.

“Omma, don’t worry,” Soojung replied, “I will be fine.” Stern in her words, she comforted her omma, as well as made a promise to herself.

The ceremony began. Soojung and Minho appeared from opposite ends of the corridor, dressed in their hanbok. Minho looked up to take a look of his wife, only to be greeted back by a cold stare from Soojung. This girl looks cold, and she gives off this cold vibe. Minho thought to himself. He then dismissed the thought with another explanation: maybe it’s just the ceremony.

During the ceremony, General Choi was noticed to have put on a face of displeasure. Since this marriage was arranged by King Taein, he sent Kim Jonghyun as his representative. Only to see Jonghyun looking rather…troubled.

Jonghyun couldn’t deny this. He feels the pain when he saw Soojung bowing to Minho during the ceremony. Since don’t know how many years ago, he had felt this tinge of differences while facing Soojung. His mood gets affected by hers: if she’s unhappy, he would feel the same way too. And only when Soojung smiles again will he feels the happiness in his heart. He would never forget the memories they shared in the palace. Speaking of which, he really had to thank Sooyeon and Prince Heechul for it. If not for their close ties, Soojung would not have tagged along during Sooyeon’s visits to the palace to find Heechul, and he would not have known Soojung, and became friends with her for a very long time, even until now.

Then again, she was going to be married, and it was partly due to his fault.

He saw the ceremony ended, and the new married couple brought to the room. He forced a smile as he sent the King’s greetings to General Choi. He then left the residence, firstly because he couldn’t bear to stay there any longer, and secondly, he was just a youngster and thus had no common topic with the other officers in the residence. No point staying there, he decided.

The room was dead silent. He could hear her breathing. She just stood there in the room, where he had stopped to close the door. He then turned to face her back and said, “You can take a rest.”

“It’s okay.” Soojung replied, not even once looking back at him.

“Just seat yourself there.” Minho walked to and pulled her petite hands to the bedside.

Soojung eyed him coldly. He was removing all the accessories that he had to put on for the ceremony at the dressing table. Soojung thought for a moment, she also had to remove all the hair accessories studded on her head. She cautiously removed them and placed them at the table near the bed. Her long silky hair fell from the top of her head. Minho saw the image of her from the mirror on the dressing table. He was momentarily captivated by her.

“Oppa! You’re lucky to be married to Jung Sooyeon. She’s known for her ice beauty.”

“What ice beauty?” Minho questioned in puzzlement when his little sister suddenly came into his room.

“Oppa you didn’t know? The Jung sisters are known in Chosun for their ice beauty. Ice beauty means a beauty that looks like an ice on the surface.” Jinri explained, slightly pitying her oppa for not being aware of the news that is known almost across the entire Chosun.

Ice beauty, Minho thought. Initially he was still unclear what Jinri was talking about, but maybe now, he has a slight clue about it. A beauty that looks like an ice on the surface, Jinri’s voice resounded in his head. A part of him was curious about her, yet the other part of him reminded himself that he should not get lost in beauties until he forgot about his own revenge plan. Yes the revenge on behalf of his appa, against the Jung family. He would help his appa carry it out, beginning with this person called Jung Soojung. So what if she’s the Princess’s daughter? As long as she’s in the Choi residence no one will be able to help her. He thought and smirked.

He slowly turned to face Soojung who was seated on the bed.

“Tonight, you will sleep on the ground.” Minho instructed.

Soojung did not say anything; she just nodded to him. Then, as if something came into her mind, she spoke out, “where are the bed sheets?”

“What bed sheets? You will sleep…ON THE GROUND.” Minho repeated his words.

Soojung stared coldly at him. She reckoned that no amount of arguing would help. Then, forcing a tear back inside, she took a deep breath and stood up from the bed. This simple interaction gave Soojung a realization: her married life will not be easy. She will have to brace herself for all the challenges and difficulties ahead.

*Ah Choo!* *Sniff sniff*

Minho was slightly awakened by the disturbing sounds.

He looked down from the bed to see his wife curling herself up on the ground. Her thin fabric was in no way helpful in insulating her from the cold. She kept shifting about in her position, as if trying to look for a warmer position, but to no avail: the ground was universally cold. If she wasn’t sneezing at that time, she would be sniffing.

Such a headache, now I can’t even get a good sleep. He then threw the blanket on the bed to the ground. Soojung opened her eyes. She saw the blanket, but she refused to take it. She kept sniffing in her position.

“Take it.” Minho said.

“I don’t want your pity.” Soojung replied coldly.

Minho sighed. “Aren’t you ice cold enough? I don’t need you to be colder.” Minho replied.

“Not funny.” Soojung rebutted. She then turned away from Minho and continued to shiver in her position.

This girl, how stubborn can she get? Minho thought to himself.

“Take it. I don’t want you sneezing and sniffing. It’s disturbing my sleep.” Minho said.

Soojung turned back to meet with his gaze. “Now it’s you forcing me to take it. Alright then,” she then scrambled to get the blanket and rolled herself up with it. She smiled inside the blanket, but that moment was too fast for Minho to capture it.

Aish Choi Minho why are you acting this way? You’re supposed to be mean to her! You should be laughing while seeing her tremble in her sleep… Minho punched himself mentally. No, this is all going wrong, but I will make sure everything goes back to how it should be tomorrow morning.

For tonight, just let her off once. He glanced at the woman on the ground.

I will be fine.

Soojung woke up startled. It took her seconds to register the fact that she’s living in the Choi residence. She recalled the words that repeated in her head during her sleep.

I will be fine.

Jung Soojung, you promised omma that you will be fine. A tear trickled down her left cheek. But this marriage…she thought of Minho’s heartless behavior last night before they went to sleep. As much as Minho did eventually give her the blankets, this was totally far off from the marriage that she had in mind. All she wanted was a man that loved her, and she knew that she definitely could not find this in Choi Minho.

Unnie, you must lead a good life with Prince Heechul at wherever you are, so that my sacrifice will be worth it. Soojung thought to herself and sighed. She mentally prepared herself for the day ahead.

“Heerobbong!” Sooyeon ran towards him as he came back from the riverside with a pail of water. They greeted each other with a hug.

“Sica, be careful of the water.” Heechul replied.

Yes, it had been days since Heechul and Sooyeon eloped. They travelled a rather significant distance to arrive at this small village, where they asked for accommodations from a small family.

“We could like to rent a room from you.” Heechul explain their purpose of visit.

“This is not a problem. Are you two a couple?” The woman questioned.

Sooyeon and Heechul smiled to each other and nodded.

“But would we be imposing on you?” Sooyeon asked.

“No worries. It’s just me and my old man staying. Our hut would also be livelier if you two stay with us.” the woman replied.

They then stayed with the woman and her husband using different names, so as to avoid the soldiers searching for them, as well as prevent further problems should the couple know that they are royalties.

She renamed herself Sica, and he was named Heerobbong after Sooyeon praised him for being such a hero.

“Such a lovely couple…” the old woman smiled upon seeing the duo hugging. “Remember we were like that last time as well.” She turned to her old man. He laughed.

“Sica, so what have you managed to master from our landlady?” Heechul questioned.

“Sorry…I still don’t really know how to cook a simple dish.” Sooyeon looked down.

“It’s okay. It takes time.” Heechul comforted her with another hug. He then went to the back to put down the pail of water he had just retrieved from the river.

Jung Sooyeon, get over this. You are no longer the Missy from the Jung residence. You need to learn to cook, learn to wash clothes, and learn to take care of the house. You need to forget your identity, forget your position. Heechul even gave up his Crown Prince title for you. What are you doing Jung Sooyeon? Sooyeon scolded herself mentally.

She then went to the kitchen. “Is there anything that I can be a help of?” She asked the woman, forcing a smile out of her face.