7. b e a u t y

Donghae's Adventures in Paris

 

w o r d s ; 1 8 1 7

g e n r e ; m y  s t y l e

s o n g ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so6ExplQlaY

 

 

Donghae looks from his sketchbook back to the model their teacher had brought in for their art class. They were studying figures now in Donghae’s class, and he couldn’t be happier.

Drawing humans was probably one of Donghae’s most favourite things to do. There was just something about being able to replicate the human face or figure that was beautiful in itself. Nature did something right, because everything was so beautiful, in Donghae’s eyes- so beautiful and so… drawable.

 There were only about seven other people in Donghae’s art class, seven other worthy students who saw life as he did. None of them, though, understood to pure perfect in humans like Donghae believed he did. There was a girl in the class, Yoona, and she had something for animals. The shy boy at the back, Kyuhyun, liked architecture. Donghae only figured it was beauty in their eyes, though he couldn’t see it.

As he placed his 3B pencil on the canvas that sat upright in front of him, he started sketching the male model.

Everything was so drilled into Donghae’s head as he practically narrated the entire thing.

“Angular, sharp jaw,” Donghae whispered to himself, and the boy next to him, Sungmin, chuckled airily.

“Donghae, you’re whispering again.” He whispered, his voice melodious and smooth like the paint he liked to use.

A small smile turns up on Donghae’s lips as he mutters, a bit louder, “plump lips, sharp nose.”

Their teacher left the room in haste, a trail of excuses leaving her lips, only to have her phone ring sharply in her pocket and she grabs the highest pair of high heels from the back of the classroom and giggles, running out of the door.

Donghae, who was currently drawing the male model’s eyes, noticed how they changed in the very slightest. Fear, was it? But it was not fear, not really- perhaps just panic. Donghae shrugged it off.

The model had been sitting there for around an hour already, and Donghae thought that if he wasn’t concentrating so hard on drawing the male’s face, he would have complimented him for being so patient and still. That was another thing about Donghae- he couldn’t sit still for even just a minute.

Suddenly, a girl from the far end of the room who Donghae knew as the charcoal girl started walking around, her hands dark from the dark charcoal she had been using. Sooyoung, her name was.

Sooyoung was very childish and carefree, and the smudge of charcoal on her cheek had her laughing as Yoona pointed it out. The laugh rang happily through the room.

The way Donghae saw these people wasn’t as people, but merely as people who might relate. Perhaps Sungmin was probably the furthest from himself. Sungmin, who loved to paint and worked wonders with paint. He loved to draw landscapes. Donghae couldn’t paint to save a life.

In fact, Donghae couldn’t use media in colour. It was repulsive, to say the least. Why not black and white? A world where there is merely black, white and gray was a world Donghae knew the best.

“Why don’t we walk around?” Kyuhyun asked from the edge of the room. “Like usually do, you know, just taking a break and to look at each other’s works.” There was a small murmur of agreement, and a few scrapings of chairs against the floor as the people who sat down stood up.

Donghae stepped out of his seat slowly, still looking at the male model. “Platinum blond hair falls perfectly over chocolate brown eyes,” he whispered, “very well defined cheekbones.”

“You can walk around too, if you want to see how we drew you,” Sooyoung happily suggested to the male model, who agreed mutely with a nod of the head.

Donghae walked around on the other side of the model, looking at Sooyoung’s first.

Perhaps too quickly rushed, he thought in his mind. Lines were too thick and the model was too tall. Donghae liked, though, the desperate contrast in dark and light tones. He would have tried charcoal as well if it weren’t for the fact that Sooyoung constantly got the messy stuff all over her clothes and arm.

The next one was Kyuhyun, who, humourously, had a ruler on the edge of his canvas. Kyuhyun was known for precise lines, straight lines, perfect lines. Donghae noticed the flaws in the way he drew the model. He wasn’t standing up that straight at all. Kyuhyun used a light pencil, perhaps a 2H. Donghae didn’t like it; it was too light and couldn’t bring out the beautiful shadows the male model’s well defined cheekbones brought.

Suddenly, the door banged open and the sound of their art teacher’s heels clicked in the room.

“Sorry you guys, but I forgot my purse!” She cried to herself, grabbing the glittering purse that was sat on her very messy desk. She paused for a second and looked around. “You’re walking around? That’s good, and you even brought Hyukjae with you. Okay, I guess he needed a rest. Well, I’ll be off!”

And with that, she stormed off, still giggling.

The only interesting part of that for Donghae was the fact that he learned the male model’s name- Hyukjae. It was beautiful, just like the human the name belonged to.

Donghae walked to the next one- Yoona’s one. Her drawing was from a different angle, Hyukjae’s side angle. Donghae frowned at the lack of shadows and brightness in colour, but knew that was how Yoona worked. Donghae usually hated colour pencils, but for some reason, Yoona made it work. It was such a shame she didn’t use the black colour pencil though, just to add in a bit of dark tones.

“More dark tones, Yoona,” he mumbles, and Yoona childishly whines from where she’s looking at Sungmin’s painting next to where Donghae is stationed.

“Well at least I drew his body!” she yells back. Donghae flushes- did he really only draw Hyukjae’s face? “That was the task, Donghae!”

“Well his face was more beautiful,” Donghae said again, perhaps a little bit louder, because Hyukjae, who was looking at Donghae’s drawing as well, felt his cheeks burn up. “More details, so beautiful. The range in tones was beautiful, and his sharp jawline. His face over his body, Sooyoung, was more… drawable.”

Hyukjae decides not to move from his spot, just staring at Donghae’s drawing of his face.

It wasn’t that he was ugly, no, it was just that since Hyukjae was a mere boy, the things Donghae had mentioned were all reasons for him to hate his own face. He thought it was disgusting for the longest time. To hear the words from a stranger’s mouth, to hear he was beautiful, was more than he ever hoped for.

So he let a silent tear fall as he kept looking at the brunet boy’s beautiful drawing.

Hyukjae only became aware of Donghae’s sitting back down when the latter cleared his throat.

“Sorry I just need you up there to draw you again. I’m stuck on your eyes. They keep changing.” Donghae mumbles incoherently, sporting a rather uncharacteristic blush.

Hyukjae shakes his head dumbly, “you made me look good,” he whispered.

Donghae lets out a loud laugh, and Hyukjae doesn’t know whether to be flustered or honoured or even a mixture of both. He just knew he liked the sound of it.

“Look, Hyukjae,” Donghae addresses politely, turning around. “You’re a human and all humans are beautiful, do you not understand?” Hyukjae doesn’t reply, so Donghae continues, “especially your cheekbones and your jawline. I love the gentle way they cast shadows on your pale skin; it’s an amazing sight, really, the beautiful contrast of dark and light.”

Donghae clears his throat again, and Hyukjae is startled, and runs a little bit too quickly back to the middle for the students to finish drawing him.

Donghae likes to think he only sees the world in a beautiful dark and light contrast, in an artsy way, but seeing Hyukjae brings out the colour in Donghae.

A sharp ring of the bell makes a few students cringe, and then they immediately start to pack up, like students would. It’s the end of the day, so they have to rush home to study and do homework, or even to just laze around on the computer.

Donghae has never understood. He had always stayed in after school to draw, and it wasn’t going change.

“Hyukjae, please, if you could,” Donghae says, his left hand coming up tenderly and showing Hyukjae his palm in hope that he would understand the mere stop sign.

He does, despite the flurry of the other seven students leaving the class in haste.

Donghae likes it when he draws by himself, that way, no one can laugh ta him for talking.

“Gentle eyelashes that overlap often, two stick out a bit at the edge but it still flow with the rest,” Donghae says clearly, and Hyukjae thinks Donghae has a nice voice.

“Single lidded eyes, something not many people can pull off well. Something Hyukjae does well,” it occurs to Hyukjae that Donghae has almost forgotten he was there and speaks in third person. He laughs. Donghae laughs as well.

“Eyes, deep, dark, mysterious eyes that change with the second,” Donghae mutters again, but then he says something. “My favourite part of Hyukjae is the eyes; I don’t think I will get this correct. They change so much, a flurry of emotions, so real, so beautiful; perhaps I’ll choose this one,”

There’s another half an hour of silence and Donghae doesn’t speak until the end.

“I think I’ve finished. Would you like to see, Hyukjae?”

Hyukjae strolls over to Donghae’s canvas happily as Donghae steps to the side.

His eyes are happy, and they’re perfect. Hyukjae doesn’t see a problem- in fact, it’s the opposite. It’s perfect, and he wouldn’t have it any other way.

“I don’t see the problem- you drew… me perfectly…” Hyukjae says, and he turns around, startled by Donghae’s face that is only mere centimetres away.

“Eyes with a deep core meaning, so much of a story behind them, or dark and beautiful,” Donghae starts, leaning in closer, eyes locked on Hyukjae’s with a gaze full of admiration.

His eyes flicker for a second to Hyukjae’s lips, and they both close their eyes in sync as Donghae presses his own thin lips against Hyukjae’s own, and they move together in a beautiful, real dance that has Hyukjae’s heart beating faster than it should.

The pull away after what seems like forever, and Donghae chuckles deeply as the flicker of emotion in Hyukjae’s eyes. He wants to draw this one instead.

“Plump lips,” Donghae mutters at last, bringing his right hand to hold Hyukjae’s face as his thumb runs over Hyukjae’s lips tenderly. “Plump lips that are just as soft as they look.”

 

 

--

Oh my goodness I'm so sorry for not updating for like ages but I'm so proud of this and I actually love it do you accept it as an apology?

By the way, I shove in a lot of random facts about myself in all of my fics. Have you found any in any of them? :'D

 

can you like comment please