6. a b s e n t

Donghae's Adventures in Paris

 

w o r d s ; 2 2 5 7

g e n r e ; a n g s t ?

s o n g ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GdT1R2K6FE

Don't listen to the song and read it together if you can't focus with the words in the background. I just wanted to advertise NU'EST's comeback, but it actually just happened to fit this. :'D

 

 

Donghae opens his yearbook to the back of the page where he has all sorts of signatures from old school mates and even some signatures from his old teachers. He runs his hand along the page and sighs happily, drowning in the memories of high school.

It’s been a few years since Donghae had graduated, and there were so many people he missed, but there was one specific person he had missed the most, and that was Hyukjae.

Hyukjae and Donghae were best friends, and never left each other’s side. If one of them was alone, the other would surely be close behind. They were joined by the hip. People learned to grow close with this.

Donghae flipped to the forty-fourth page in his year book, the page that showed all the graduates and their messages. Right at the top was Hyukjae, and Donghae smiled at the childhood memories.

There was a plain quote as Hyukjae’s message, ‘where there is love, there is life.’

Donghae liked the quoted. He still likes it to this day.

He looks at Hyukjae’s scrawled handwriting at the bottom of the message though, his signature, and it’s for keeping a promise that Donghae remembers clearly. A promise they made on the last day to meet up under the Eiffel Tower at two in the afternoon on the thirtieth of November, three years after their graduation. They promised they were going to stay friends.

This is it, Donghae thought. Today is the day.

He looks at the lonely calendar on the wall, the thirtieth of November is circled in bright blue highlighter, and all the previous days have crosses on them. He places his fingers on Hyukjae’s graduation photo and trails down the side of his cheek, and unknowingly, a tear falls at the memories.

Today is the day.

He grabs his bag already filled with necessities which he filled the day before, and he runs quickly out his apartment block, smiling widely as he leaves.

Today is the day.

“Hyukjae, wait for me!”

-

“Why did you want to meet me here?” Donghae asked, his teenaged eyes b with curiosity as he looked up at Hyukjae who was a good few centimetres taller than himself.

“I was just thinking,” Hyukjae started, and Donghae rolled his eyes. Hyukjae was always thinking, always thinking more than he should. “We should meet up after college, seeing as we’re both going different places.”

Donghae smiled happily, very much liking the idea. “Definitely!”

Hyukjae‘s lips curved up and he wrapped his arms around Donghae’s waist, and whispered a small “it’s a promise, then,” into Donghae’s soft brown locks.

Donghae brought out his left pinky and smiled innocently towards Hyukjae, who laughed and wrapped his pinky around his best friend’s.

“If it’s a pinky promise,” Donghae explained, just like the many times before. “You can’t break it no matter what.”

“No exceptions?” Hyukjae sighed.

Donghae smiled brightly, “no exceptions!” he cried, skipping off to the next class, and Hyukjae only shook his head, watching his best friend walk off into the distance.

It’s a promise then.

-

“Champ de Mars, Champ de Mars,” Donghae chants under his breath, and he’s worn out once he finds the Eiffel Tower because he’s been running, but he’s extremely happy, and nothing was going to change that; it was for Hyukjae after all.

He bounds over to the bench near the Eiffel Tower and waits, short huffs of breath being replaced with longer ones as he respires.

Donghae is shaking in his seat, how will he be able to cope with seeing Hyukjae?

Hyukjae who was his best friend, Hyukjae who supported all the way, Hyukjae who he was madly in love with.

And he waits even more.

He was excited, and ecstatic, and all the words that could describe him were frantically running around, and he didn’t even mind it when he had realized that he had been waiting an hour.

After all, it’s all for Hyukjae.

The sun sets, and slowly, Donghae is coming to his senses. He looks up at the sunset and two tears fall from either eye, and he mumbles, “Oh, Hyukjae, if you were here too you would have loved this.”

The first star appears, and a nostalgic smile appears on Donghae face as he turns to the blank space next to him and caresses it. “You loved stars, Hyukjae,” He sighs. “Make a wish.”

He turns back to the sky as two more stars appeared. “Can you guess what mine was?”

There’s a brief silence, presumably for the space to answer, but Donghae continues anyway, “it was for you to show up. Are you going to?”

The sky is slowly dotted with stars, and Donghae throws his head back in exhaustion. “I’m tired, Hyukjae,” He mumbles to no one in particular. “I wish you were here, I remember you used to let me lay on you when I was tired. Do you remember that?”

He leans expectantly on the empty space, and only curls up when his body falls flat on the rest of the bench with a loud ‘plop,’ and Donghae’s hands are brought to his chest and he stares at them.

“I’m cold, too.”

He lets silent tears fall as he says, “It’s all for you, Hyukjae.”

Donghae waits until he can’t take it anymore. It’s the first day of December already, and he had already been waiting for more than eight hours. Donghae is fed up, fed up, and sick of it.

“Hyukjae, you bastard,” He grits out, and grabs his bag. “I look like an idiot here, just waiting for you, you, Hyukjae, who hasn’t kept our promise.” He sighs and stops, looking up and the dark, dark sky. “I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, and I love you.”

Donghae shakes his head and falls to the ground in haste. The people who are still wandering the streets at this our spare Donghae a small, pitiful glance as the male clutches the ground.

“I hate you so much,” Donghae cries out loud, and the tears don’t stop falling. “I hate you so much!”

He punches the hard, concrete floor once, twice, thrice until he’s sure his knuckles are bleeding, and he slowly gets up, and Donghae is pretty sure he resembled Lady Macbeth.

“You pinky promised.”

-

There’s a very, very sharp pain in his side, and his left leg is broken, and he’s sure he can’t get up, but he needs to meet Donghae. He’ll have to make do.

“Doctor, let me go, I need to meet him!” He cries, and his voice echoes through the hospital room. “Let me go!”

A man in a white coat arrives, and he’s calm, and he places his warm hand on the hurt man’s shoulder.

“Rest, Hyukjae,” He says with sympathy. “You just got hit by a car on your way to the Eiffel Tower, and yet you want to get up? Perhaps in a few months, when you’re all healed, then you can get up to see this person. They’ve probably left anyway, why don’t you give them a call?”

Hyukjae wants to punch the doctor in the face, and he wriggles around a bit in hope of getting loose, but one of his ribs poke something vital inside and he screams, hurting his throat in the process, and decides to stay put.

“But it’s Donghae,” he mutters slowly before falling asleep. “And Donghae doesn’t deserve this.”

-

Donghae was sobbing like a broken mess on his bed as soon as he got back, and he wasn’t calm enough to sleep. He had the hiccups from crying for so long, and he swore his eyes were almost red from the tears. They stung, too.

His phone rings a familiar tone, Love and Joy, and it’s not a song he’d really like to hear, so he picks up the call, just so he doesn’t need to listen to the overly happy beat of the song.

“Hello?” Donghae asks in question, voice breaking and it sounds like he hasn’t learned manners. He sniffles a bit, and continues. “Who is this?”

“Donghae, Donghae honey, this is Sora,” It’s a female; Sora. Donghae almost regrets picking up the phone, for this is Hyukjae’s sister, who was probably calling to say it wasn’t Hyukjae’s fault, but then she sounds different. She sounds urgent. “It’s Hyukjae. Come to the hospital, quickly, please, he’s begging.”

“W-What?!” Donghae almost starts to cry again, but he gains his composure, “Why?”

“Hyukjae, he got into a car accident on his way to the Eiffel Tower today,” Donghae proceeds to break down, and Sora sounds like she’s crying as well.

“I’ll be there,” Donghae hangs up immediately and picks up his bag for the second time, and sprints out of the apartment.

-

“I’m just here to visit Hyukjae,” Donghae hurriedly tells the nurse, who seems to pick up on the urgency, though she stays calm.

“What’s your name, sir?” She asks, though actually not in need of a name. She was just curious as to whether this was the man Hyukjae called for.

“Lee Donghae,” He mutters quickly, looking past the nurse and scanning the reception area, and she seems to be taken aback as she smiles and walks quickly down the corridor.

“Follow me,” She says.

They maneuver their ways through rooms, and they stop when they get to a specific door.

“Lee Hyukjae’s room,” She says solemnly, and pushes the door open.

Donghae quickly rushes in to the only bed, and he sees the figure of his best friend lying there, restless, eyes closed and the horrible tragedy falls upon Donghae.

Tears fall from his eyes as he brings his hand up to caress Hyukjae’s face; it’s nothing like the paper in the book.

His skin is smooth and pale, much to Donghae’s horror, and he has a new scar which Donghae does not miss out on.

He leans forward and places a small kiss upon Hyukjae’s forehead and rests his head softly on Hyukjae’s shoulder and takes a seat on the very uncomfortable looking chair next to the hospital bed.

Donghae is careful not to harm any of Hyukjae’s bones, and especially near the ribcage, he takes great care. His head his lying next to Hyukjae’s shoulder on the soft bed, and he smiles sadly.

“I’m sorry I thought you didn’t come,” He apologises to no one in particular; perhaps it’s the blank space again. “You would come; you were the best friend.”

Sleep almost overtakes Donghae, but he feels a warm hand on his shoulder.

“H-Hyukjae?” Donghae asks groggily, rubbing his eyes. It’s not Hyukjae.

“Hello, Donghae,” The doctor says, and Donghae almost freaks out at the fact that the doctor knows his name, but then he continues, “Hyukjae was constantly going on and on about you. Sora left much earlier.”

Donghae’s breathing hikes, and he’s scared to ask, but he does. “What did he say?”

“Let me go!” The doctor imitates, and Donghae would have laughed if he wasn’t in such a traumatic state. “I need to see Donghae!”

Donghae’s lips curve up into a smile as he turns back to Hyukjae, who’s currently sleeping peacefully; even beeps fill the hospital ward.

“I’ll be staying here overnight if you don’t mind, doctor,” Donghae announces softly, and the doctor nods.

“I understand.” He says simply. “Goodnight, Donghae.”

The doctor leaves him alone, and Donghae rests his head in the crook of Hyukjae’s neck (why is Hyukjae sleeping so lowly?) and he lets the slumber take over him.

-

Hyukjae awakes in the very early hours, but he shrugs; that’s what he gets for dozing off early and causing everyone trouble.

He tries to sit up, but the pain his back, and he lets out a chortled cry, but is silenced when he feels something soft on his neck.

Hyukjae looks down and is taken aback by the familiar messy brown locks, and Donghae is sleeping very soundly, and Hyukjae almost feels guilty for yelling earlier, and he tries to control the pain and he lies down again. He brings up one hand and combs through Donghae’s soft hair with his fingers, and smiles involuntarily as Donghae stirs in his sleep.

“Hm?” He mumbles; eyes still half closed as he lifts his head, but they open ever so slightly when he notices Hyukjae is awake, and very much alive and happy. “Hyukjae!”

Donghae’s eyes fill with thankful tears as he dives forward and wraps his arms around Hyukjae’s neck, which was thankfully unharmed, so it didn’t hurt.

“Thank goodness! I was so worried…”

They look at each other for a few seconds, and Hyukjae remembers just what he felt for Donghae a long time ago.

 “I’m sorry I broke the pinky promise; there were no exceptions…” Hyukjae smiles nostalgically towards Donghae, and Donghae places his hand on Hyukjae’s cheek and rubs his thumb across the smooth skin softly.

“That’s stupid, Hyukjae,” Donghae says, sighing. “I don’t forgive you for breaking it, but this,” he smiles, “is definitely worth breaking the pinky promise for.”

Hyukjae, with his free hand, cups Donghae’s surprised face and pulls him down in a kiss, and Donghae immediately kisses back.

It’s innocent and thankful, and Donghae and Hyukjae are pouring all their emotions into it that neither of them can refuse, and when Donghae pulls back, they’re both smiling as wide as each other.

“Donghae,” Hyukjae says slowly.

“Yes?”

“I love you.”

Donghae smiles and Hyukjae smiles back.

“I love you too.”

 

~~

The next chapter will DEFINITELY be something all of you are familiar with. Any guesses? ;D I'm so excited for the next one I think I might just write it now and upload tomorrow. xD 

Anyway, how was this? <3 (Was it like that movie? You know what I'm talkin' 'bout. ;D)