41 day

Another Me

 

Love, affection and need doesn’t need a lot of time to bloom. 41 day is quite enough.

 

This was bad. This was very, very bad – at least to WooHyun’s mind.

The tingling – that small weird feeling he had buzzing in his chest since that late night, when he thought he had finally lost everything, but kind of, at least to his mind, found SungGyu – was still there. No, even more than being where it was, it was growing bigger, stronger, more defined and spreading trough WooHyun’s whole body while at it.

One could not see anything particularly bad about that, as WooHyun had spent more than a month with SungGyu, their Sundays, starting from 3 weeks ago, filled with quiet walks (even quieter than the first two) and one could definitely feel some sort of connection with other after such time and the fact how much time they spent together, but for WooHyun it was almost a catastrophe.

He had had a similar feeling before. Not that strong, distinct and powerful, but he had had it before and when he had it, it had made him ‘make moves’ toward the source of those feelings. Now he was using all his willpower to stay calm, concentrate on his work and not to literally jump on SungGyu.

No, that was not a plain ual desire; it was not an effect of being deprived of, actually, one of the basic natural human needs. No, it was something completely different, that could be calmed down by a simple hug – like the one they shared just few weeks ago – or simply holding his hand, or… or just a kiss.

No, it was unacceptable for WooHyun to think about things like this, to have silly daydreams and desires for something so simple, so literally close and so unreachable at the same time.

He concentrated on work, on what ever small task he could find – starting from finally not cutting in to his fingers while cutting ingredients, as he spent every free second practicing (which was actually a way of distracting himself) or scrubbing every corner of the diner till it was shining.

He did his best for few days to stay away from long contacts with SungGyu, not too noticeably, as he actually couldn’t do it – he was almost like a piece of metal drawn to a magnet called SungGyu. Beside, he knew that if he would suddenly get estranged, he could hurt SungGyu, though their relationship (if you could call them like that) was pretty simple and really – just friendly as WooHyun saw it. One thing he never wanted to do was to hurt SungGyu or make him disappointed.

Letting go of his ‘instinct’, which awoke when ever the tingling sensation appeared, would probably lead to a completely different kind of relationship and from past experience WooHyun knew he would just mess a relationship like that up till nothing but dust would be left and he would hurt SungGyu.

He had to stop the tingling, he had to get rid of it or at least suppress it, but he failed miserably when ever the smallest glimpse of smile appeared on the red-hairs face, as at the very moment the tingling as if exploded and made WooHyun to restrain himself from closing the what-ever the distance was between him and SungGyu at the moment.

It was an emotional torment, a battle WooHyun knew he was loosing gradually and was completely lapsed on a simple Friday evening, when all WooHyun’s hard work of keeping his tingling, buzzing and all other feelings were just scattered to pieces.

 

The diner had closed a good hour ago and WooHyun was just exiting bathroom, drying his wet hair with a towel, when he noticed SungGyu sitting on the floor, parallel to the window in the dark living room, looking out at the briefly seen far away view of the busy city center, where night-life was just starting.

He wasn’t doing anything particular- just sitting there in his grey sweat-pants and white t-shirt, looking trough the window and not even turning to look at WooHyun, when he entered the same room, but never the less the tingling in WooHyun’s chest rose to a new level again along with a weird feeling of weight, as if something was pressing on it and making him suffocated a little.

If he would have just walked to his room, if he would have ignored those feelings, that something would have probably suffocated him for real.

With a sigh, he left the towel on the drying hanger that was opened and placed next to the bathroom door and went to sit in front of the window, perpendicularly to SungGyu and looked at the city scenery for a moment, before turning to look at SungGyu.

The red-hairs face was perfectly calm, with tint of sadness on it, as if he hadn’t even noticed that WooHyun was sitting there as well, but knowing SungGyu – he knew it well enough.

WooHyun returned his gaze to the city behind the window with a quiet sigh and pulled his knees to his chest, entwining his hands around his calves and resting his chin on his knees.

He had been away from everyone he really knew, from those he thought he knew, for around 40 days. He had been here, as he would have said before – in middle of nowhere, for around 40 days and… he wouldn’t agree on returning.

He had no idea what kind of offer could even make him to think about going back to all those fake things, all those fake friends.

He missed Hoya, DongWoo, and SungJong and… and SungYeol though, but he wasn’t sure he was worthy enough for them.

Then again, that meant that he wasn’t worthy enough to be here was well, worthy enough for SungGyu.

He sighed again and took a deep breath, trying not to think about things like that, though they were an essential part of who he was.

They sat like that in silence fro quite a while, until SungGyu finally spoke.

“What did you dream about, when you lived there?” he asked, still looking at flashy city lights.

“Dreamed about?” WooHyun raised his head and looked at SungGyu.

“Yes. Who you wanted to be and such.” SungGyu said glancing at WooHyun for a second and then returning his gaze to the window.

“Well…” WooHyun rested his chin on his knees for a moment again to think and then continued. “Before my teens, as in 16 -17, I had made two options for myself – a soccer player or a singer.” He said with a small nod.

“Quite the opposites, don’t you think?” SungGyu asked, focusing his gaze on WooHyun.

“Kind of yes and kind of no. Both means being famous, and I guess I really wanted attention back then. Beside, I wasn’t bad in either.” WooHyun said, turning to SungGyu.

“Then what stopped you? You could have been famous by now.” SungGyu said, changing his sitting position to a bit relaxed version of the way WooHyun was sitting – his legs half bent, hands on his knees.

“At those teen years, I was introduced with the fact that I will have to take over father’s business one day.” WooHyun said with a sigh. “So I set my mind on that and all that was left from being an athlete was gym and all that was left from singing was norebang.” He lowered his head and bit his lower lip.

He hadn’t thought about the way he gave up on his dreams before, but now, it seemed that he gave up too easy and for nothing.

“You could try now, don’t you think?” SungGyu asked, making WooHyun to turn to him.

“No.” WooHyun shook his head. “I gave up on those dreams and I don’t think it would be smart to take on something I already once gave up on.” SungGyu nodded and returned his gaze to the window. “And you?” WooHyun asked, not quite willing to give up on one of their rare conversations, despite the tingling in his chest.

“What about me?” SungGyu turned to WooHyun.

“You told that you were in a band, so I suppose your dream was music too.” WooHyun said receiving a nod in reply.

“It was. Though not a very serious one.” SungGyu said with a small glimpse of smile on his lips, as those were probably pleasant memories. “We were just a bunch of…” his smile fell and WooHyun could almost feel the word ‘friends’ were being stuck in SungGyu’s throat and being swallowed down by the particularly loud gulp. “…bunch of schoolmates that sat together in friends basement, listened to Nell and American rock bands and dreamed about big future, which never came true.” SungGyu sighed.

“What was your position?” WooHyun asked, hoping that maybe this could be something more cheerful than memories of those who left as time went by.

“Vocal. I played piano and guitar too, but others were better at that, so I stayed with vocals.” SungGyu said, again with a small glimpse of smile.

He must have loved singing, as it brought smile to his face and it was indeed sad to know, in what way his dream had come to an end.

“I would really like to hear you sing.” WooHyun said, understanding that he had said it out loud only when the words had already left his mouth.

“I don’t know…” SungGyu scratched the back of his head. “I haven’t sang in quite a while.” He said and rubbed his neck.

He wanted to sing, it was more than obvious, but at the same time he was obviously shy about it and WooHyun couldn’t deny how cute it was.

“Just a little bit.” WooHyun said, turning a little, so he could face SungGyu.

“Okay…” SungGyu took a deep breath and let it out, then repeated it again and closed his eyes.

First a quiet, not quite confident melody started to flow from his lips, but with each line it grew stronger, more filled with confidence and the raspy sound of first notes were gone, letting SungGyu’s voice to rang trough the air in smooth yet powerful manner.

WooHyun felt like he had been hypnotized.

He gazed at SungGyu, while other sang – his voice filling the air with it’s sounds and the exact feeling of each word had to offer, his eyes closed, fingers dancing on his knee as the melody had taken over him – and the tingling in his chest grew almost, no, exactly too much to bare.

WooHyun was well aware that he was staring, that his mouth had gaped open and that he was actually ready to cry as the buzzing, the tingling was ready to rip his chest apart. He knew all that, but his eyes were glued to SungGyu for those few short minutes he let himself to be taken away by music.

He held out the last note, letting his lips to close slowly, his eyes to open as slowly and look back at WooHyun, who was still staring at him.

“I said I haven’t sung for a while.” SungGyu said, scratching the back of his head again.

“That was…” WooHyun tried to speak, but words as if stuck in his throat. “That was… breathtaking.” He finally managed to stutter out.

“Don’t exaggerate.” SungGyu said with a shy smile. “That wasn’t as good as I once could.” He said.

“For me, it was amazing.” WooHyun said, his eyes still refusing to look away from SungGyu, who was now looking around, as if trying to avoid WooHyun’s gaze.

“Thanks.” SungGyu said, finally looking back at WooHyun, before returning his gaze to the window, small smile on his lips.

WooHyun looked at him for a minute or two before he could finally tare his gaze away and tried to find something to look at trough the window, but ended up looking at SungGyu’s reflection.

The feeling he did his best to hide was now rioting and doing its very best to break loose, to gain the small redemption WooHyun couldn’t deny he wanted, but refused himself to get. The amount of willpower he was using to control himself was amazing and he never knew he had something like that in him.

He looked down at the floor at let out a sigh, before returning his gaze back to the window and SungGyu’s reflection, which was… looking back at him?

The SungGyu in the reflection squeezed his eyes shut, let out a sigh and backed away a little from the window, but at the same time moved closer to WooHyun, making WooHyun to look at the real SungGyu.

The red hair had indeed leaned closer to WooHyun, looking at him with his eyes softer than ever before.

The tingling went mad.

It was like a rubber ball was bouncing inside WooHyun’s ribcage messing up everything it could, giving only one option how to fix it.

WooHyun gulped and kept his gaze locked with SungGyu’s, who slowly leaned even closer.

WooHyun held his breath, when SungGyu’s warm hand smoothed away his still wet bangs from his eyes and then rested on his cheek, making the buzzing inside of him grow even stronger, as a touch no longer was all he needed to calm it down.

With his eyes he followed, how SungGyu leaned closer, his eyes not hiding the fact that he was actually nervous; how he gulped right before there were just a centimeter or two between them; how he finally closed that distance, pressing his lips against WooHyun’s, closing his eyes at the process.

Something as if exploded in WooHyun and for good two second he was in pure shock, before he let his own eyes to fall shut, his body to relax and lips to reply to the small kiss, which was interrupted far too fast for his liking.

“I…” SungGyu stammered out, his eyes big, lips parted, hand still resting on WooHyun’s cheek. “I just thought…” he said, his voice unusually shaky.

He already tried to open his mouth to continue saying what ever he was saying, but WooHyun stopped him, leaning forward and locking their lips in a kiss, not even noticing that he had put all his weight in it and SungGyu ended up back against the floor with WooHyun on top of him.

He run his fingers trough others red hair, as he wanted to since almost the first time he saw SungGyu, at the same time letting his body to relax and sink in to SungGyu’s embrace, as the red-hair wrapped his arms around WooHyun’s middle and pulled him closer.

The tingling had stopped. It was now replaced with a growing fire that burned WooHyun and pushed him closer to SungGyu, as if he was a lake or rather ocean that could cool him down, though he was sure – the closer he would get to SungGyu the hotter it would become. But he was ready for what ever heat that was coming – he was ready to get burnt if he had to, as now, being lost in the feeling of SungGyu’s lips moving along with his, he realized the meaning behind the tingling and buzzing and he was quite sure, the reason will grow even stronger with time.

 

------------------------

Hey, hey, hey!
A new chapter is up!
THE SONG SUNGGYU SANG!
In case you’re interested, I really did count 41 day from the Sunday evening WooHyun first met SungGyu, to know on evening of which day of the week this should happen xD.

So, as a reminder – a Christmas special, including WooGyu from this fic, is coming up soon, so subscribe to it HERE.

Then, if you are sick of waiting for here, you can check THIS WooGyu of mine out. For not its a closed one-shot, which was written as a prize in a game on tumblr, but I shall make it in a 3-shot.

For now what would be all!
Enjoy WooHyun ogling on SungGyu, while Gyu-zizi is singing.