Buddies Birthday Cake

Sweet Dreams

Chapter Seven

Buddies Birthday Cake

Continued from Chapter Six...

Halmoni, I'm making different sweets at SM Academy every day. This time, I'm making a cake for the children at Piyo Piyo Kindergarten. I promised the Taeyeon who had just transferred here and couldn't mix with the group, a cake that will help her get along with everyone. I designed the cake, then I practiced making it with the rest of A-group over and over until it was fabulous. That's what I thought, but I had a shock when I saw a cake exactly like mine that B-group made. We have only one hour left until the birthday party...

"Ah! That's it! I have an even better design!"


Group B walked towards the exit of the school with the heads held high as though they've accomplished something...which the didn't, when someone stopped them.

"Wait. Hold it right there."

"Hmmm..." The girls turned around.

"That's terrible. How could you steal Sooyoung's design?" Hyoyeon glared at them.

Krystal smirked. "That's a false accusation. Wasn't it Sooyoung who copied ours?"

"No, she didn't. For my dongsaeng, Taeyeon's sake, I watched Sooyoung painstakingly research and design it. That is without a doubt, Sooyoung's design."

"Do you have proof?" Hyoyeon was taken aback. "The proof that shows we stole the design. Since you seem so sure. You have proof to back it up, don't you?" Krystal held out her hand. "Show me the proof."

"T-That is..."

"Unbelievable. Being suspicious of us without any proof indeed. You're the one that's terrible."

Hyoyeon glared at them hatefully. She felt someone place a hand on her shoulder. She turned and saw Yuri. "That's enough."

"Yuri."

Yuri walked towards the Group B girls. "You guys sure made quite a terrible mess."

"What are you talking about?"

"You can feign ignorance all you want. But if it wasn't plagiarism, such an embarrassment wouldn't exist. You all fail as patissieres."

Hyuna, Krystal and Jessica glared at Yuri hatefully. "This has nothing to do with you right, Yuri?"

"Of course it does."

"Hyoyeon is my friend. I can't stand by and watch my friend get bullied. Let's go, Hyoyeon." Yuri walked back.

"Hmph." Hyoyeon followed her.

Krystal blinked them away. "She's just a beginner with no real ability, and yet she's in the A-group. How impertinent." She glanced at Sooyoung through the windows.

"It's definately impossible to remake a cake in just an hour. The one held responsible will be the girl who designed it, right?" Jessica grinned.

"Be completely embarrassed, Choi Sooyoung."


"A better deisgn?" Key asked.

"Yes. Let's modify the design."

"Modify? From now? What cake do you have in mind?" Kris asked.

"There's no time. I'll explain as we go along. Lend me a hand."

Lu Han, with a worried expression, turned to his two friends. "Will she be fine?"

"We have no choice but to believe in Sooyoung." Kris said, staring at the girl.

"We'll just have to do it. There's no other way around." Key said, staring at Sooyoung as well.


"It's frustrating. Sooyoung worked so hard for my dongsaeng's sake." Hyoyeon mumbled, seated on the steps of the school, close to tears.

"Hyoyeon. Look over there." Yuri pointed to the cooking room. "Sooyoung and the rest have not given up at all. They're doing their best in making a cake for Taeyeon."

"Sooyoung."

"It's not over yet. I believe in Sooyoung and the rest. Let's wait for them, okay?"

"Yes."

Now it's a fight against time.


"Kris, please make lots of cookies with pastillage icing."

"All right."

"Lu Han, please ready the white chocolate cream."

"Yeah."

"Key, please prepare the marzipan."

"Okay."

I'll have to manage this somehow. Because I promised Taeyeon, a cake that will help her get along with everyone. I'll definitely make it on time.

"It's so obvious that she copied Sooyoung." Lu Han mumbled.

"That's true." Kris agreed. "It must be due to her jealousy."

"That's because transfer students stand out." Key said.

"Thank you, everyone. I'm so happy that you believed me."

"Because, only you would think of making such a strange cake." Sooyoung was surprised that Key was the one who said that.

"Hey, hey..." Kris chuckled.

"S-Strange?"

"I don't mean it in a bad way. How do I put it, like that chocolate roll for example, Sooyoung's cake... ...is able to tell a story." Key explained.

"S-Story?"

"Your skill needs much improvement, though." Again, the girl was surprised that Key was the one who said that.

"20 minutes left." Kris informed anxiously.

"Hey, we have all the ingredients ready." said Lu Han.

"Yes. With these, it'll work!" Wai for me, Taeyeon. I'll definitely make you an enjoyable cake.


"Jihyun. We'll be getting birthday cakes today, right?"

"I wonder cakes we'll get. I'm so excited."

"It's worth looking forward to, isn't it?"

"It'll definitely be cuter than Taeyeon's cake."

Jonghyun and his friend came over to the corner were Taeyeon was seated, reading in silence. "Hey, apple cheeks." She looked up. "What kind of cake did you request from Strawberry ?"

"Umm... Well..."

"We won't forgive you if it's horrible." Jonghyun's friend warned.

Jonghyun gave him a push. "Don't say such unnecessary things."

"What's wrong with you?"

Taeyeon was close to tears.


"What happned to the A-group?" The teacher asked the B-group.

"It seems that they are still in the cooking room." Krystal answered.

"Eh? Still? Will they be fine?"

"I'm sure they'll be. Because Lu Han and the rest are there, too."

"That's true."

"Unnie, isn't it time for your next class? You'll be late for it." Jessica said.

"Eh? That's true. Well, I'll leave the rest to you, then."

"Yes." As the teacher went off, Krystal walked to the bus. "A-group will be going by taxi. So, please take off now."

The bus drove off with B-group in it and leaving A-group behind. "What terrible people." Yuri spat, watching the bus drive away with Hyoyeon. "Now even is the cake is done, they won't make it there on time." Hyoyeon ran out the gate. Yuri followed her, puzzeled. "Hyoyeon."


"It's done."

Lu Han placed the cake in the box. "There's no time left. Let's hurry up!" They group ran as fast as possible out of the school. "Sooyoung. Hurry up! Hurry on without shaking the box!"

"I know."

"Eh, where's the bus?" Lu Han and the others looked around.

Sooyoung gasped. "Didn't they wait for us?"

"There's only one bus every hour, though."

"We won't make it on time by bus. How about calling for a taxi?" Key suggested.

"No, it would take 20 minutes before it'll arrive." Kris said.

"How about asking a Hyung or a Noona who drives?" Lu Han suggested.

"It'll take 30 minutes to get to the staff room and back." Kris said.

"Why is the academy so big?" Lu Han questioned furiously.

"What do we do?"

"Sooyoung!" The group looked in front and saw a van coming towards them. "Sooyoung!!"

"Hyoyeon?"


"Good Afternoon!" The teacher greeted B-group.

"Good Afternoon!" The kids echoed.

"Eh, where is strawberry ?" Jonghyun asked.

Krystal smiled. "They seem to be coming a bit late."

The kids crowded around B-group. But not all of them. Taeyeon looked out the window, waiting for Sooyoung and the rest of A-group.


"But I was really surprised when a hitchhiker suddenly jumped out!" The driver exclaimed while driving.

"I apologize for this abruptness, but could you please drive us to Piyo Piyo Kindergarten?"

"Eh?"

"My sister is waiting, and my friends are trying their hardest. Please! Please! Please! Please..."

"I don't know the details, but it's obvious that she was frantic."

"I'm sorry." Hyoyeon apologized.

Yuri glanced at her watch. "Oh no, it's already past noon."

"Can you please speed up?" Sooyoung asked.

"Ah! Okay! I'll drive there at the maximum speed limit! It's going to shake a little, hang on tight!"

There was bump. "Be careful!" Yuri, who was seated at Sooyoung's left steadied her. Lu Han, who was seated at her right steadied her too.

The closeness of her and Lu Han was enough to make her blush. "Ahh..."

"Be careful. What happens if you smash the cake? Idiot!"

Sooyoung's nervousness was replaced by her anger. "I know. You didn't have to say it like that."

The car went had to go through a swigly road. "Protect the cake!"


"The birthday party isn't starting yet?"

"I'm hungry." Jonghyun whined.

"This is worrying. Is Taeyeon's cake not here yet?" The teacher asked B-group.

"Let us present our cake first. Meanwhile, the other cake might just arrive."

"That's right. Please begin then."

"This month, our friends celebrating their birthdays are Jihyun and Taeyeon. One, Two."

"Happy Birthday!!"

"Thank you!" Jihyun smiled brightly.

"Well then, first it's Jihyun's birthday on the 8th. Let's see her cake!"

Krystal presented their cake for Jihyun. "Happy Birthday, Jihyun. It's a snowy day at the kindergarten."

"Amazing!"

"Look! Jihyun is here, too. This is great."

"Our cake isn't here yet?" Jonghyun asked angrily. "What's happened to it? Did you ask her properly?"

"Thank you for waiting!" Group A, Hyoyeon and Yuri were out of breath when they got in the room.

"Aren't you late? We thought you weren't coming already." Krystal said.

"You..." Lu Han glared at her. Kris held his friend back.

"Hurry up and bring out Taeyeon's cake, Sooyoung." Jessica challenged.

"Everyone's waiting." Krystal said.

"Taeyeon. Sorry for making you wait."

Even with the sweets princes, there's no way they can change it in just an hour. Jessica thought confidently.

Just present the same cake and feel embarrassed, Choi Sooyoung. Krystal smirked.

Sooyoung set the box on the table. The cake we made just for Taeyeon will definitely please her. "Happy Birthday, Taeyeon." Sooyoung unboxed the cake. The frown on Taeyeon's face turned into a big and birght smile. "This is Taeyeon in a witche's house."

"Amazing! A candy house!" Jonghyun exclaimed.

The kids at Jihyun's table begin to leave her for Taeyeon. "We want to see it too!"

"No way. Why? There shouldn't be enough time to remake it though!" Jessica exclaimed.

"They added more marzipan designs to the base of the cake." Krystal studied the cake. "With additional cookies and chocolates, they made a candy house. Did that girl think that up?"

"Everyone, Taeyeon's trapped in a witch's house."

Jonghyun looked closer at the cake. "There really is a witch there. Taeyeon's in trouble!"

"With the response power from the apple tree, you can save her from the wtich. Please save Taeyeon!"

"That's easy!" Jonghyun picked up a marzipan that looked like him. He used it to pick an apple from the apple tree marzipan and dropped it in the chimmey. Suddenly, a scary voice cried. But it was really just Sooyoung with her grunting noises. The kids don't know that, of course. "S-Scary!" Jonghyun said.

Sooyoung had to think of something, quick. "It's just ventriloquism." Sooyoung demostrated by clutching and making grunting noises. "See?"

"Geez, you sure scared us."

The rest of the kids held their marzipan pieces and dropped apples into the chimmy. "Let go of Taeyeon!"

Sooyoung had to do a lot of grunting and acting. Key and Kris snickered while Yuri and Hyoyeon had their mouth hung open. Lu Han was staring at her like she was a moron. So, pretty much the way he normally stares at her.

Jonghyun looked in the window of the cake again. "Hey, it seems that the witch is beaten!"

"Well everyone, let's go inside then. Are you ready? One, two!" Sooyoung lifted the top of the cake and it revealed Taeyeon's marzipan with a small cake in the middle. "What! Taeyeon baked a cake and she's waiting for us!"

The kids gasped. "Wow! Amazing! It's like magic!"

"No way!" Jessica was shocked, herself.

"How did that happen?" Krystal was shocked too.

"Taeyeon. Thank everyone who beat the witch."

Taeyeon stared at Sooyoung then the class. She stood up, clutching her skirt. "T-T-Thank you, everyone."

Jonghyun laughed. "What's with that formal address?"

"Whose rich little girl are you?"

"Taeyeon's interesting."

The class laughed in joy and Taeyeon smiled. She looked over to Jihyun who was seated by herself. "Err, say, can we put this next to Jihyun's cake and play together?"


The kids sat around Jihyun's table. They were happily playing together. Jihyun and Taeyeon were playing with their marzipans. "I'm Taeyeon. Pleased to meet you, Jihyun."

"Pleased to meet you, too."

Sooyoung stared at the scene, wide-eyed. "Sooyoung herself made..."

"Thanks to the cake, they're so close." said Kris.

"Sooyoung planned this far with that design." said Key.

They begin cutting the cake. "My, such fragrant apples." The teacher remarked.

"To increase it's fragrance, we mixed apple mousse and julienned apples together." Sooyoung explained.

"Delicious."

"Apple cakes are good too."

"How is it, Taeyeon?" Sooyoung asked as Taeyeon took a bite out of the cake.

"Err, you know, it's completely different from the cake my former teacher made. But it's just as delicious."

"I'm glad." It's definitely delicious because everyone is eating it together.

Just then, Hyoyeon gave her a surprise hug. "Sooyoung!"

Sooyoung let out a surprise shriek. "What's wrong, Hyoyeon?"

"It's the first time I've seen my sister smile since we got here." Hyoyeon was close to tears. "It's thanks to you, Sooyoung. Thank you so much."

"Don't, I didn't do this alone. Moreover, it's thanks to Yuri and Hyoyeon that we made it in time."

Hyoyeon finally released Sooyoung. "Sooyoung..."

Yuri sighed. She went in between her two friends and gave them a big hug. "Stop being so formal, you two. Today onwards we're buddies."

"That's right. I'll be in your care from now, Sooyoung."

"Same here, Hyoyeon."

"There are so much here, please help yourselves too." The teacher smiled. Hyoyeon and Yuri darted for the cake.

Sooyoung's eyes traveled to the B-group cake. "That't... the cake that B-group made."

Jonghyun looked at her and handed her a fork with a small portion of cake on it. "Do you want some, Strawberry ?"

"Yeah." Her eyes widened. "It's really juicy. The sponge and apple blends well together. Apple is mixed in lots of custard cream, leaving a really great feeling." Sooyoung turned around and saw the girls of Group B leaving. Krystal turned around and saw Sooyoung staring she flipped her hair, blink her away and sashayed out of the door. They can make such delicious cake and yet, why did they do that?

"Um..." Sooyoung turned around and looked down. She saw Taeyeon. ""When I asked for the candy dolls, everyone gave them to me."

"Wow, that's great, isn't it? Where's your doll?"

"I exchanged it with Jihyun."

"I see. In order to bring it back home, wrap it in a napkin, okay? Hmm?"

"I love your cake, Unnie!"

Taeyeon blinked cutely and then left to join her friends. Sooyoung was left, smiling. The princes walked over to her side. "Taeyeon must be really happy." Kris remarked.

"Sooyoung..." Lu Han started when Sooyoung didn't say anything. "W-What's wrong?"

"It's the first time I realize this..."

"Huh?"

Sooyoung was close to tears. "I never knew it. There's so much joy in bringing others hapiness with the sweets you make. Grandma... she always smiled when I ate her cakes and said it was delicious. Was my Grandma this happy as well? To be able to feel such happiness. Sweets are amazing!"


"Thank you everyone." Sooyoung thanked as they were walking back to school. "I can't wait to make sweets again. Ah, who are we having self-practice with today?"

"That's right." Kris said.

Sooyoung was eager. "I'll get back first and start the preparations." With that, she into the gates of the school and disappeared.

"She's on seventh heaven." Lu Han said.

"It's her first time receiving others happiness, right?" Kris pointed out. "It's natrual that she's happy."

"What's wrong, Key?"

"Nothing. Just that it's interesting how well Sooyoung grasps things. She instinctively knows what others seek. With this and her skills improved..."

"Are you afraid?" Lu Han asked.

"Not at all. I'm looking forward to it. From now on, what kind of sweets will Sooyoung make?"

Grandma, I want to make more and more delicious sweets. And with those sweets, I want to make people smile. So, I'll do my best!


Hello, there.

Hope this was not boring for you. :D There was definitely a small SooHan moment. Err... I don't think there were any SooKey and SooKris moments... But there was a SooHyoRi or whatever you want to call it moment. Oh, there was a little SooyoungxJonghyun moment. And maybe a TaeyeonxJonghyun moment. :) 

Looking at the votes now...

HOLY KRISUS.

Luhan is up to 43 already! Kris is 9 votes away from him with 34 votes. haha the other way round XD. And Key! I'm happy that he's out of the one digit number zone but he's still last with 12 votes. :)

Well, I think we know who's getting more moments with Soo.