Five.

I don't want an Idol Boyfriend

Chapter 5

Yejin had asked you what happened. You told her, of course, but left out a huge chunk of it. You know that she somehow still doesn’t approve of Kris, and you’re not even sure if she’d appreciate the things you’ve seen and experience on the backstage. You still didn’t tell her about the incident with Infinite, nor that friendly conversation with Woohyun. Maybe you will later, but you have to omit the part with Sunggyu. He, after all, is Yejin’s favourite member in Infinite.

“So are you ready?” Yejin squealed.

“Ready for what?” You asked, you were on your stomach lying on your bed, fiddling with your phone. Kris had finally texted you, and right now, you were exchanging cute text messages with each other. Something you can’t really do while overseas. Heck, you’re phone bill will soar sky high.

“Aigoo, you’re still as forgetful as ever!” Yejin slumped down next to you. “Woollim’s party is tonight. What would you do without me,” Yejin rolled her eyes playfully.

You chuckled, and shoved her lightly. “Yah! You’re the one who’s dragging me to that party. What would you do without me?”

The two of you laughed.

“Say, who’s in Woollim again?” you asked, while typing another reply to Kris’ message.

“Infinite—“

“Oh wait, Kris is calling!” You quickly jumped off the bed and rushed out to the balcony.

“Aigoo.” Yejin rolled her eyes, but a faint smile on her lips. She actually thought that Kris would just dump you because he’s an idol now, the same way he did to his friends. But maybe Yejin could forgive him. He can dump his friends, but she would never forgive him if he’d forget about you too.

When you came back, it was obvious that your eyes were sparkling with giddiness.

“Okay, love fool, let’s get to the salon now and pamper ourselves!” Yejin said as she dragged your lazy out.

 

You sighed. You couldn’t wait to see Kris again. He said that in a few days, they might have another free day, and he asked you if you’d wanted to spend it with him. Of course, you’d love to. He said he’d take you to places he’s sure you haven’t been to. Your head was buzzing with excitement that you almost forgot that you might meet Infinite members again in the party Yejin had dragged you in. Not that you can even remember that Infinite is under Woollim.

“Oh shoot, I think I forgot my mobile phone, Yejin!” You shot her a horrorstruck face. “Where?”

“At home?” You pouted. What if Kris texted? What if he called?

“Relax, you’ll be fine without Kris for a night. You’ve been doing so well without Kris for 4 years,” She told you, as she led you inside the party.

“Let’s see. I’ll just make a quick phone call to oppa.” Yejin pressed her phone to her ears, and after a few moments, a young man who looked like just a few years older than the both of you met you at the hotel lobby.

“Oppa!”

“Yejinnie! It’s nice of you to come!”

Yejin pulled your hand towards them. “Oppa, this is my best friend I’m telling you about.” You introduced yourself and bowed.

“Hello, I’m Noh Jihoon,” He flashed a dimpled smile that nearly set you and Yejin on your knees. He held your hand delicately in his, before pressing his lips at the back of it. You felt a light blush on your cheeks, while Yejin snickered away beside you.

“Are you ladies ready?” He asked, still not letting go of your hand.

“Yes!” Yejin squealed and he just chuckled lightly.

Turns out, Jihoon is Yejin’s sunbae from her college. He was a hot shot in their department, all girls swoon at him; all males want to be in his shoes. But Yejin, being herself, was the only girl who wasn’t affected by Jihoon’s ‘charms’. Jihoon find this interesting, thus he tried getting close to her. Their relationship was purely platonic, and that’s what made it so special. No matter how close they get, Jihoon only see Yejin as a younger sister, and Yejin only sees Jihoon as an older brother. They just can’t see each other romantically. Yejin secretly wishes that you and Jihoon would be together.

“Oppa, are they here yet?” Yejin asked, leaning closer to him. He chuckled, as he pulled out a chair for you to sit on. You thanked him and can’t help noticing how extremely gentlemanly he is, and not to mention so handsome too.

“No, they’re not yet here.” He answered.

“Who?” You asked, tilting your head.

“Aigoo, here you go again. So forgetful.” Yejin playfully knocked your head. “Infinite! Who else!”

You stiffen at their name. Why would they be here?

“Infinite?!” You turned your head to Jihoon who was seated beside you, leaning a little towards you. He nodded in confirmation.

“Why didn’t anyone told me?!” You cried.

“Didn’t you know Infinite is under Woollim?” Jihoon asked you, amused. You shook your head. Yejin scoffed.

“It’s because you’re so busy with your ‘Kris oppa’—

“’Kris oppa’?” Jihoon asked. Yejin gasped, covering slightly.

“Ah nothing nothing.” She just shook her head. You fiddled your fingers and thought a little. Well, it’s not like they’ll mingle with people they don’t know right? Plus there are quite a few numbers of people. You just have to hang out with Jihoon; unless Infinite is close with him too.

“I think I’ll look around first. Do you want to come?” Yejin asked you. Truthfully, you didn’t want to roam around. You didn’t want to see Sunggyu again. You don’t want to ruin your night.

“Aish, okay. Oppa, can you stay with her?” Yejin asked. Jihoon nodded and smiled.

“Of course, I’d be more than willing to.” He said sheepishly.

“Yah! Oppa! She’s my best friend! Be good~“ Yejin mocked complained, but she was giggling.

“Arrasso arrasso! Go now little brat!” Jihoon shooed her away. You laughed a little, releasing some tension.

You turned your body a little so you’d be facing him a bit.

“So you hate Infinite?” He can immediately tell by the way your body stiffen at the idol group’s name. You held your gaze with him for a while, as if weighing if he’ll be on your side or of he’s actually good friends with the Infinite members.

Jihoon noticed your hesitance, and lightly massaged your shoulder for you to lighten up. You were almost shock at his sudden skinship. It’s not even half a day that you get to know this guy. But if Yejin thinks he’s harmless, you trust her judgment.

“Don’t worry, I won’t tell anybody. I won’t tell Yejin.” He chuckled.

“Well, it’s not that I hate them.” You said slowly, he nodded encouragingly. “I met two of the members a couple of days ago.”

Jihoon raised his eyebrows in surprise.

“But by accident,” You quickly added. “And right now, I don’t really like Sunggyu very much.”

You returned Jihoon’s gaze, waiting for him to say something.

“Well, fair enough.” He jutted his lower lip adorably, as if you just said a fair point.

“What? I don’t understand.” You said.

“Laters, I see Yejin coming this way.” He patted your head, and both of you turned around to see Yejin holding 2 small platters full of biscuits and fruits.

“You girls want some drinks?” He said, standing from his seat.

“Yes please, oppa,” Yejin said sweetly.

“So, what’s up?” Yejin asked exaggeratedly. “What do you mean what’s up?” You eyed her.

“Well, what did you and oppa talked about?” She wriggled her eyebrows knowingly at you.

“Yah! Lee Yejin!” You cried, your friend only giggled in response.

“Hey,” Jihoon was back in no time. He saw your face a bit red, and was frowning a little while Yejin was stifling her giggles.

“Yah, Yejin, what did you do to your friend,” Jihoon started to scold.

“Ohhhhh…” Yejin continued teasing; you lightly kicked her under the table.

But it was interrupted when suddenly a slight commotion can be heard by the other side of the entrance.

“They’re here.” Jihoon said to Yejin.

“Infinite?!” Yejin jumped to her seat.

“Yah, be careful Yejin. Don’t fangirl so much. You don’t want your to be kicked out here, do you?” Jihoon scolded lightly, but a smile was playing around his lips.

“Yes sir!” Yejin mocked saluted before running off towards that direction.

You and Jihoon both chuckled when she suddenly stopped jogging, and consciously straightened her skirt, and acted like there was nothing wrong.

“Yejin is such an Infinite fangirl,” Jihoon laughed.

“Yeah. I was surprised at first.”

“So you’re not a fangirl? Not even groups outside Woollim?” He asked, as he passed you a glass of wine.

“Nah. I’ve been busy studying overseas.” You told him. “And… I used to think fangirls are silly.” You haughtily admitted, but Jihoon laughed and agreed with you.

“So you’ll never ever be a fangirl, right?” He asked you. You shrugged, telling him you’ll never be one. That’s when he leaned forward to you.

“Well, that’s good. Because you don’t want to get in to something you don’t want to get out of anymore.” He smirked. You frowned a little. He glanced back towards Yejin’s direction. It looks like she won’t go back anytime soon.

“That’s why I’m keeping an eye close to Yejin. It’s a good thing I work with Woollim, and the group she likes is under our company. I can look after her, making sure she’s not doing something out of line” Jihoon continued. He suddenly sighed and leaned back.

“I don’t understand what you’re saying.” You told him.

“I’m saying, “ He leaned forward and you can almost feel his warm breath on your face. “Never, ever associate yourself with any of the idols.”

~

Suho was beyond mad. How dare Kris bring another girl in their waiting room?! Suho can’t take it anymore. He barged in the other leader’s room without knocking.

“Hey, what’s up?” Kris got up from his bed. He’s so bored. You haven’t been replying to any of his messages, so he turned to send other messages to some of the girls he used to have flings with.

“You!” Suho pointed an accusing finger at him. “I told you to treat her right! I could kill you if she finds out you’re cheating on her!”

Kris raised an eyebrow at Suho’s outburst before scoffing.

“Did you forget, Junmyun? She’s the one who threw herself at me. I didn’t ask her to.” Kris smirked.

“Why you--!” Suho grabbed Kris shirt, ready to punch him, but Lay and Baekhyun, who heard the commotion from the other room immediately stopped the two.

“I’M GOING TO GET HER AWAY FROM YOU KRIS! YOU BASTARD!” Suho bellowed. Kris only sneered at him. “As if you can do that Suho.” He went back to slouch on his bed and flipped through a magazine.

“I bet your pretty little girlfriend doesn’t even know what she’s getting in, huh?” It was Suho’s turned to sneer. This made Kris snapped back.

“DON’T YOU ING DARE INVOLVE HER IN THIS!” Kris was fast and grabbed Suho’s front shirt. He was towering Suho, but the other leader didn’t even back down.

“Hyungs! Stop fighting!” Baekhyun tried getting in between them, while Lay tried pulling Kris off Suho, and now D.O. who just entered the room, tried pulling Suho away from the other leader.

“Touch her, and you’ll regret it!” Kris hissed.

“Let’s see about that.” Suho scoffed and walked away.

He slammed the door as he went out to get some fresh air. He’d never forgive Kris. Never!

FLASHBACK

“Hyemi,” Suho approached the girl who was waiting by the bench on the playground near their practice studio. The girl looked up at him and smiled.

“Hi oppa!” 

“We’re you waiting too long?” Suho gently tucked flowing strands of her hair behind her ears. It was freezing outside. She shook her head.

“Where’s Kris’ oppa?” She asked eagerly. He froze.

“He told me he’d meet me here at 1 o’clock.” Hyemi asked hopefully.

But it’s already 3 on the afternoon. Kris had left with the other EXO-M members.

“Oh, look! I need to go now, my mom is already calling! My piano teacher must have informed her I skipped again.” Hyemi jumped to her feet. “Oppa, will you please give this to him?”

The girl handed Suho a basket full of chocolates and American snacks that Kris likes so much. Suho looked at them. It must have cost her quite a fortune buying these things. And Hyemi’s merely a highschool student. Did she skipped lunch again? Suho wanted to caress her now pink cheeks. She still looks so hopeful. He wish Hyemi would just turn to him instead of Kris.

“Tell him I’m sorry I couldn’t wait for him any longer,” She said as she picked up her backpack.

“Hyemi!” Suho called as she ran away. She turned around, with that lovely smile he had fallen in love so deeply.

“Take care okay! And,” Suho jogged towards her. He removed his shabby and overly used, but warm scarf off him and wrapped it around the younger girl’s neck.

“Keep warm okay?” Suho caressed her cold cheeks and smiled fondly at her. She nodded and her smile grew wild.

“Don’t forget to give that to Kris oppa, okay?! Bye Junmyun oppa!” She waved and ran away.

END OF FLASHBACK.

Sehun and Tao looked troubled. They glanced at their hyung, who didn’t seem affected. They can’t take the tension and coldness in their dorm. In days like these, they wished EXO K and EXO M would do activities separately. At least they wouldn’t have to hear Kris and Suho fighting all the time.

Lay caught Tao staring and shook his head. Baekhyun did the same with Sehun.

“Hyung,” Kai started. Kris looked up from the newspaper he’s reading.

“Is that girl really your girlfriend?” He asked carefully. Kris stopped what he was doing.

“I mean, the petite girl you said your cousin, but then you said she’s your girlfriend.” Kai continued, answering the questioning looks Kris was giving him.

“Yeah. She’s my high school girlfriend.” He confirmed. Some of the members let out a small gasp. They never expect Kris to have a girlfriend for that long.

“But how come we just saw her now?” Kai probed.

“Because she was studying overseas for 4 years now. She just came back to have vacation.” Kris answered, this time without taking his eyes off the newspaper.

Kai was about to ask more, but Xiumin elbowed him and gave him a look to stop. The rest of the member ate in silence.

~

You were panting from too much laughing with your new friend, Noh Jihoon. It was just a little past midnight and Yejin was nowhere to be seen. Jihoon had already called her, and she said she managed to slip past the VIP area, thus, she’s now upgraded to where VIPs and celebrities are.

You didn’t mind spending the rest of the evening with Jihoon. You were more relieved that they have separate lounge and party area. You won’t have to see that jerk Sunggyu.

“Wait up, my feet are killing me already.” You gasped air. You have no idea that Jihoon would be so funny. He swiftly caught your leg and rested them on his knees.

“Y-Yah!” You felt a faint blush creeping your cheeks.

“Let me.” He said.

If you didn’t know him by now, you’d feel like he’s flirting with you. But he had opened up so much to you that night that you already knew he’s not the flirting type of guy.

Jihoon was actually an inspiring artist. He used to be a Woollim trainee, alongside with Infinite during their trainee days. But he told you things have happened, and he just kind of let go of his dreams. At first you were flabbergasted. It’s his lifelong dreams, why would he just give it up like that.

That’s when he told you things. Many many things you weren’t sure you’d like to know.

“Oppa!” You laughed as he tickled your feet.

“You have a really very pretty toes,” He told you, gently rubbing his thumbs over your feet.

“Hey, are you flirting with me now?” You wriggled your eyebrows jokingly at him.

“Yah!” He suddenly tickled you full mode, sending you hollering.

“O-oppa! Stop!” You felt tears running down your cheeks already from too much laughing.

After a while, you two finally calmed down.

“So, who’s that ‘Kris oppa’ again?” He asked, leaning over to you. You were still panting.

“Wait, let me get something to drink first.” You started to put on your shoes, but Jihoon beat you to it.

“No, I’ll get them. Just rest.”

You weren’t sure if it’s okay to tell him. You pondered on it for a while until he came back.

“Kris oppa. He’s my boyfriend,” You told him. He seemed to be taken back. He won’t deny that he developed a small crush on you only that night. But he never thought of pursuing you, since it’ll be awkward if he hits on Yejin’s bestfriend.

“Oh, is he also here in Korea?” He asked politely. You nodded and smiled a little, suddenly missing Kris. Of course you didn’t mention that the ‘Kris oppa’ you have is the same EXO-M duizhang Kris.

You wonder if EXO is having issues too like what Jihoon told you that Infinite has.

“Did Yejin know?” You started, peering at him while sipping at the wine he got you. He shrugged, but shaking his head.

“That girl is a crazy fangirl. I don’t want to burst any of her bubbles. All I can do is look after her.” He admitted.

“You’re a good friend to Yejin,” You told him softly. He smiled back. After a comfortable lull of silence, you finally broke it by stating what’s been on your mind for a while.

“I wonder if other groups have those kinds of….. troubles, too.” You murmured. You’d hate to think that Kris would involve or do such things like that too. You understand that they’re all consenting adults already, but Kris… you’re most beloved Kris.

What you didn’t know was that Jihoon was watching you carefully.

“I can’t be sure, since I’ve just been under Woollim. But what I can tell is that idols are somehow the same in some aspects. Everyone is tired, everyone is exhausted, and at some point, everyone feels suffocated. They need an outlet. They need some things that would ease their stress. You get what I mean?”

You nodded, and gave him a short brief smile. Maybe that’s the exact reason why Jihoon gave up his dream. He didn’t want the companies and the people to dictate who he will become in the future. He saw those awful vices and how the idols were affected because of it.

“You told me you’re not a fangirl of any of the idols,” Jihoon said carefully, somehow feeling bad that what he told you affects you in one way or another.

“I’m not,” You confirmed him.

“But you know someone from the industry,” He didn’t ask, he stated it.

But before you can even open your lips, either to confess or to deny, a grimacing, angry face came strutting towards the two of you.