Chapter 2: My Business Partner

The Mute Singer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 2: My Business Partner

Li Rin's POV:

"Since you're late I guess you won't have trouble find your seat." the teacher says gesturing to the only two empty seats.

Of course they had to be together...And of course I have to sit next to him.

"Now let's begin!" the teacher says and starts the lesson.

"PSST!" the boy beside me whispers oh so not quietly. I decide to ignore him.

Well he already thinks I'm hard of hearing.

"Hey mutey! Psst!" he says again louder this time.

He did not just call me 'mutey''...

I focus on my paper and pretend I don't hear him. "Hey Mutey! Do you have a pencil I can borrow? I seem to have misplaced mine..." he says.

A pencil? You forgot a pencil? You're in college for goodness sakes! You can't rely on others your whole life!

My grip on my pencil tightens and I focus on my note taking.

Whistle blowing is where a person I---

"Hey Mutey!" the curly haired boy says leaning over and poking my shoulder this time. "Do you have a pencil I can borrow?"

Again with the nickname...

I turn and glare at him. I start to write on a piece of paper since he doesn't understand sign language. "No I have no extra pencil! Stop bothering me!" I write and slide the note over to him.

"Mrs. Li and Mr. Park! There is no note passing in this class! Go out in the hallway, I'll be with you in a moment." the teacher says from the front of the room. "Ooops..." the curly haired boy says while I glare at him.

He is so glad I can't talk...I would have some words for him if I could!

"You idiot! What were you thinking!? Huh!? I can't believe you! It's my first day and I already got in trouble! And it's all your fault! Are you happy!?" 

I know he can't understand what I'm signing but frankly I don't really care. I knew I shouldn't have come!

How did Jinyoung manage to convince me to come to this school!?

"Hey look...I'm sorry Mutey I didn't mean to get you in trouble...By the way I never read the note did you have a pencil I could borrow?" he asks.

Is this boy stupid!? What the heck is his problem!?

"I have NO pencil!" I sign.

He gives me a confused look not understanding. "What I have no idea w-"

"You two!" the teacher says coming outside from the classroom. "Are you really college kids? Who passes notes at this age? Are we grade schoolers? What do you have to say for yourselves?" He just looks at us waiting. "I'm sorry." I sign. "Why are you waving your arms?" the teacher snaps at me.

How rude...Was the teacher not informed that I am mute!? And can people not understand that when someone signs they are NOT 'waving their arms' they are SIGNING! Goodness gracious...I heard that Yonsei was a top university school...yeah right...

"She's not waving her arms. She's mute." the boy says.

"Oh..." the teacher says. "I didn't know. I apologize."  I force a smile and make an 'OK' sign with my hand. "But..." the teacher say

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter