Chapter 4 - Infatuation

Partner in Love

Lunch at the cafeteria the next morning was same as usual. The noise of the crowd, the grouping of different cliques, the crappy food and the three of us lounging on one of the tables.

 

'So, Tabi, I was wondering about your text last night, you know, the one about finding Bom a date' I asked Tabi in between spoonful of pasta. Bommie's too busy munching on her lunch and seems to be unaware of our conversation.

 

'Oh D! Good thing you reminded me. Remember the guy I told you, my new neighbor?' he asked raising his eyebrows.

 

'Yeah, the hot guy, right? Your jogging buddy. What about him? Is he the one?'

 

'Bingo!'

 

'Are you sure?' I asked, trying to decide if he's pulling my leg.

 

'100%. They've met last night and I'm enough of a man to know if another man is smitten by a lady, well, a woman” Tabi explained.

 

'That's good. What's his name?' I inquired.

 

'Siwon. Choi Siwon. And NO, we're not related' Tabi said in advance

 

"I know! You wouldn't drool on him if he was "I teased." So B, what do you think about him?" I transferred my gaze to Bom.

 

"Huh?" Bom replied. She always looks like she's on some other world whenever she's in front of her food. The concentration she pours on it is unbelievable.

 

"What do you think about Tabi's new neighbor? The one you met last night." I repeated.

 

"Oh, Siwon?! I think he's good. Gorgeous." Bom said without a touch of feeling.

 

"Uhm, just good?" I pried.

 

Bom rolled her eyes. "Ok. Duh! He's heart-stopping, knee-melting gorgeous. Happy now?"

 

"Like, for real, huh Bomie?" I asked again just to spite her

 

"Hey, can we have this talk after I finish my lunch? It's not like it's a matter of life and death" Bom said while starting to dig in to her lunch again

 

"If you say so, hey Dara, how was the first study session?"

 

"Oh, just fine, now I have a mini-library on my bedroom."

 

"Poor you, anyways, auditions for Romeo and Juliet will start later"

 

"Okay, but I don't think I could come, work day today"

 

"That's fine, we'll hold the auditions for one week"

 

"I see..."

 

"So please Dara, as your friend, I'm begging you to join the auditions. Please. Please. Please."

 

"But--" I started declining. This play would be a major event for our school and I don't think I will be ready for that.

 

"Please D. Even if it's not for Juliet's."

 

"Okay then." I agreed reluctantly. I mean, what harm could it do to me? It's not like I would be chosen. I know other students which can really act. Now all I have to do is find an audition piece that would surely make the screening committee say no.

 

~~~

 

"Romeo and Juliet huh. I thought you hated that". This from Jiyong. I was sitting at the shade of my favorite tree in school, browsing a copy of Romeo and Juliet, trying to find a good (

I mean bad) audition piece when suddenly Jiyong materialized in front of me.

 

"Yes I do. It's just that I have to audition for our play. Just looking for the perfect piece".

 

"A play?"

 

"For the English Festival. You know, drama club duties"

 

"Ah! But why the audition? I thought your adviser will choose the actors for the play"

 

"T'was like that for the past years, except this year, they want more participation from the students, hence the open auditions."

 

"And you're auditioning for?"

 

"Anyone but Juliet. You know I kind of dislike her."

 

"That I know. You're still the same old Dara. Good luck then. I hope you get the part. See you tomorrow night. Don't forget to read the books I've left you."

 

"Gee, thanks for the encouragement. Now I feel so confident." I said sarcastically. I always need to have the last word.

 

~

 

The sound of the wind chime alerted me that a new customer has just entered the cafe. I looked up just in time to see the newcomer approaching.

 

"One Americano" the man said while flashing a wide-grin on me. And Oh boy! What a grin it was. I mean, this man is made up of stuffs you only see on T.V. He’s got angelic face, great smile. He looks so dreamy.

 

“One Americano, coming up”. I answered while trying not to drool.

 

“Thanks, Dara.” The angel said while looking at my name tag.

 

“Hey Dara, wipe that dreamy smile off your face, the other customers might think you’re insane” Chaerin teased while I was preparing Mr. Dreamy Guy’s order.

 

“Sorry. Can’t seem to stop. Look at him.”

 

“I see him Dara, with my own two eyes, and yes, the man is absolutely gorgeous…and he also happens to be studying at the same school as mine.” Chaerin said.

 

“Oh, really? Omo. Omo. Omo. How is he? At school, I mean. Aigoo~I bet he has a lot of fangirls in school.”

 

“You bet, but don’t worry, as far as I know, that man is single. At least I haven’t seen him with anyone. He just enrolled this year along with that cousin of his. Both of them actually looked like they were sent from up above. Gorgeous and filthy rich. Donghae and Yoona. We actually call them the “Immortals”.”

 

“Donghae and Yoona…now why does that name sounds familiar? Anyways. I need to get Mr. Dreamy Guy’s order to him. Wish me luck.”

 

I left Chaerin and went to Donghae’s table to bring his order.

 

‘Thanks Dara.’ Donghae said after I put his order on the table.

 

‘You’re welcome, enjoy’

 

‘Hey, wait. Dara don’t happen to be short for Sandara Park, right?’ Donghae asked while I was about to leave.

 

“Actually, my name is Sandara Park. Have we met before?”

 

“Omo~            Dara, It’s Donghae. You probably don’t remember but we used to play before. Along with Yoona and Jiyong. We used to visit Jiyong’s house before we left the country”

 

Now that Donghae said it, I suddenly remembered. Donghae and Yoona’s family were friends with Jiyong’s. They used to visit Jiyong’s house before and we’ll play hide and seek. Or climb trees. But Yoona was not really good at climbing trees so Jiyong usually stayed behind while Donghae and I try to race up to the top.

 

“Omo~~omo! I do remember! Wow. It’s nice seeing you again” And I really meant it. Who would’ve thought that this pretty guy turned out to be someone I knew from before? Lucky girl.

 

“Yeah. It really is NICE seeing you again. We should catch up.” Donghae said, giving me one of his smiles. Sigh. His smile should be illegal.

I came back to the counter and I can't seem to wipe the silly grin off my face.