Chapter 2b - I Can't Lie

Partner in Love

'Good evening Auntie!' I called to Aunt Jinah the moment I entered our house.

 

'I'm here. Dinner's ready in a few minutes' Aunt Jinah yelled from the kitchen.

 

'Ok! I'd just leave my things in my room' I said while climbing the stairs on my way to my room. My room consists of a single bed covered in a pink comforter, a poster of Won Bin oppa above it, my desk (where I study or daydream) and my very own bathroom-slash-dressing room. I settled my things on the desk and opened the window to let in the air. I stuck my head out and stared at the night sky looking for stars, but I guess the sky is cloudy cause I couldn't seem to find one. I lowered my gaze to Jiyong's open window across mine looking for any sign of movement but there seems to be nothing. We were supposed to meet tonight, I wonder where he is?

 

'Dara, dinner's ready!' Aunt Jinah called from the kitchen.

 

I sprinted into the kitchen and I was welcomed by the rich smell of my Aunt's cooking and Kwon Jiyong's gaze.

 

'Oh, you're here?' I asked, looking at Kwon Jiyong. I was mildly surprised by his presence. It has been a long time since he stepped in to our house.

 

'Yes Dara, Jiyong will be joining us for dinner. I invited him when he came here earlier looking for you. He even offered his help in preparing our dinner' I mentally rolled my eyes. Jiyong, the gentleman.

 

'Dara, take your place so we can start dinner. I'm starving' Aunt Jinah sat in the head of the table and I took my seat in her left. Jiyong sat in front of me, unusually silent.

 

'Jiyong was telling me about the Study Partner Program Dara, and I told him how great I think the idea is, and that you ought to be thankful that you have him as your study partner' Aunt Jinah started. She really liked Kwon Jiyong even before. Not surprising, since almost everyone like Kwon Jiyong. Almost.

 

'Auntie!' I cried, mocking a hurt expression.

 

'What? I've known Jiyong ever since you were kids. I also happen to know that he performs well in school. I really think that he could handle you more than anyone could, so Jiyong thank you very much and take good care of my Dara' Aunt Jinah gratefully said, looking at Kwon Jiyong

 

'Your very much welcome Aunt Jinah' Jiyong said while flashing a smile to Aunt Jinah, then transferred his gaze at me 'and don't worry I'll do my best in helping Dara'

 

'Of course you would, and I'm sure Dara will be a good study partner. Right dear?' Auntie looked at me expectantly

 

'I'd try my best to be good' I answered almost reluctantly.

 

~

 

'So, are we going to start studying now?' I asked Jiyong.

We were sitting in the couch in the living room about an arm's length away from each other. It was only the two of us since Aunt Jinah already went up to rest in her room. 

 

'No, I'm here to give you this...' he said while giving me a big paper bag.

 

I peeked inside and saw almost a dozen reference books. Probably one for each subject.

'What are these? Are you trying to turn me into another Kwon Jiyong?' I asked, a bit appalled. This guy really takes everything seriously.

 

'Those are books dummy. And NO, I'm not turning you into someone like me, you'd never be. Not in this lifetime' he said looking at me like I'm idiot. Of course he probably thinks I have air for a brain.

 

I let out a very unladylike snort.

'Of course I know that these are books, but what for? I have my own. And what do you mean I'll never be like you, you don't think I'm smart enough to be equal or even better than you? Not that I'd want to...but you know, you don't have to be insulting.' I squealed.

 

'Those books are easier to understand compared to the ones that the class is using. And Yes, I know what you mean and I'm NOT insulting you this time. I also know that deep inside that thick skull of yours is a brain which probably needs sharpening but a first-class brain nevertheless. Considering the things you do to annoy me which, if I may say, is a hard feat, I suppose you posses an above average IQ. But then you'd never be like me because I'd never let that happen. I know you would never like to be someone like me and I also happen to like you, Sandara Park as you are now' He said while looking at me with a strange glint in his eyes

 

'Y-y-you l-l-like me?' I stammered. I was flattered by what he said but I was more shocked by his declaration.

 

'It's not what your thinking Dara. What I meant was, I really wouldn't want you to change and be a clone to anyone. You're different and you should be proud of that. You may be annoying most of the time but you amuse me too,  sometimes' He explained without looking at me and fidgeting with his fingers.

 

The guy looks nervous. But why would he?

 

'O-k. I get that' I said, glancing at him and trying to act nonchalantly. I'm a bit embarassed but there's a part of me who felt warm because of his words.

 

'About the books, I want you to do some advance reading then we'll discuss it the next time we meet' He said obviously trying to change the subject

 

'Just when I start thinking that you're a great person you start doing this' I commented

 

'And here I am thinking that after all these years you're already used to it' he retorted with humor in his words

 

'Whatever...' i said rolling my eyes at him

 

'That's it for tonight. I wouldn't want you to think that I'm making your life hard. Say thank you to Aunt Jinah for me for the delicious meal. I have to go now' He said already rising

 

'Wow, I can't wait til' you decide to make my life harder. You'd probably leave me an entire library to read. Anyways, thanks too, for helping her earlier...and for not making my life hard' I said *note sarcasm* while escorting him to the door

 

'You're very much welcome. Good night Dara.' he said facing me at our door

 

'Good night Jiyong' I answered already closing the door.

 

I went up and brought the books in my room and then closed my window. I changed in my jammies and sat in my bed. I texted Bom and Tabi to check on them, who knows? maybe Bommie's attempts will work this time. Then I started browsing the books Jiyong gave me. After a few minutes my phone beeped signalling that I have a message.

 

From: Tabi

 

D,

 

We're fine, although I think I'm going to lose my patience at Bommie. She always asks the same question over and over again. Maybe she'd understand what I'm teaching if she is looking at her notes rather than stare at me while I'm explaining. Geez Dara, she's really giving me the creeps.

 

How about you and Kwon?

 

P.S. B says Hi!

 

Tabi

 

I typed in my reply.

 

From: Dara

 

Tabi,

 

You know her. She'll never stop doing that to you unless you help me find someone for her to date. LOL

 

Jiyong just gave me books and told me to do some advance reading. We'll discuss next meeting.

 

P.S. Tell Bom I said Hi too and tell her to stop pestering you!

 

~D

 

I sent my message then went back to reading my books. I chose the book in Literature since I don't really want to stress myself with Physics and Math tonight. Besides, I'm really interested in Literature. I used to read a lot before I discovered partying. After a few pages, my phone beeped again.

 

From: Tabi

 

D,

 

I think I already found one. Tell u more abt it tom.

 

Good night D. Dream of Won Bin oppa.

 

Tabi

 

I smiled while reading Tabi's SMS and his referral to my ideal man. I sighed. Why are great guys only seen on TV or read only in books. The sound of something like a pebble thrown in my window roused me from my thoughts. I opened my window and saw Kwon Jiyong at his window with pebbles in his hands.

 

'Ya! What do you need?' I asked crossing my arms and scowling at him. He has already changed into his own sleeping attire, a tank top (which shows lean muscles) and a comfortable cotton pants.

 

'I forgot to tell you something..' He answered with a serious tone

 

'And what is that? More assignments?'

 

He seemed to think for a while, then said 'Sweet dreams Dara.'  gave me a warm smile then closed his window leaving me staring and confused. That was weird. What was that?