Chapter 2a - I Can't Lie

Partner in Love

Kwon Jiyong was already in our front porch when I arrived. Looking casual in a collared white shirt tucked in a black jeans and a pair of comfy black and white sneakers. He was standing in there leaning on one of the pillars, his hands in his pockets. '

I'm on time!' I said while panting. I barely managed to reach my bus on time then I sprinted from my stop to our house.

'Yeah, you're uhm..' he said while looking at his watch '5 minutes early, actually. Maybe it's you who missed me that much, not the other way around, neh?' He teased.

The gall of this man is almost insufferable. 'Whatever! So, what's today's agenda?' I hissed while climbing the steps towards him.

'First of all, I want this Study Partner Program to work. So you have to cooperate, understood?'

I was already on the same level as him and he turned to face me.

'Yah! Yah! Spare me the intro please..' I said, crossing my arms in front. He raised his left eyebrow at me as if challenging me to speak more.

'Second, since between the two of us it's you who obviously needed guidance you have to follow everything that I say

'Wow! Just wow. Must he really insinuate it? And follow everything he says? What am I? His slave?

'Everything? Are you nuts?' I looked at him like he suddenly grew horns.

'Everything related to improving your performance at school, satisfied?' he clarified.

I cleared my throat. 'I guess so' There wouldn't be a way to get around with that. I really want to graduate this school year and to improve my grades. I know my brains can do it, but I do need guidance since I usually lose my focus.

'Good!' He exclaimed. 'Now let us proceed to our study schedule. I want us to meet an hour every Tuesdays and Thursdays, the whole Saturday afternoon, and Sunday evenings except when there are exams and recitations wherein we need to add extra hours or meet during Mondays and Wednesdays. Is that clear?' He said, his face leaned towards me.

I was definitely aware of him now. Standing in front of me, his hands in his pockets and his face dangerously close to mine. I know I'd agree with his suggestion since it wouldn't really interfere with my work at the cafe, but I can't help it. I still need to give him a hard time. Just to amuse myself.

'Do I even have a say in this? What if I have to go somewhere else?! Early plans?! Can I cancel our Study meetings?! And do we really need to meet 5 times a week? Even Sundays?' I asked defiantly.

'No! There is nothing more important than your studies, right? Besides, we have to meet every Sunday so that I can check if you have done all your homeworks for the past week. I wouldn't want my ward to forget her homework, or to fail it. That would be bad for my reputation.' He reasoned, leaning closer.

Me? HIS ward? ward? So he thinks he's my guardian now. Argh. 'Then it's a no! I'm not agreeing to that Study schedule of yours!I want my Sundays!' I countered while looking straight into his brown eyes.

'Come on Dara, I know you would' his face already too close for comfort since he keeps inching closer and closer until his nose are almost touching mine. 'You can never say NO to me...and you know that' he said, poked at my forehead, then left. Leaving me dumbfounded with my heart beating fast.

The moment I calmed myself, I went straight into my room and lied down at my bed clutching Tam-Tam and stared into the ceiling. Whether I like it or not, what Kwon Jiyong said at the porch was definitely true. I could never say NO to him. Maybe it was because he was the first person who made me smile when my parents died when I was 8, or when he carried me to our house when I fell of from their tree (totally his fault coz I was trying to follow him at the top) and he never left me and held my hand while Dr. Han was treating my wounds, or maybe when he saved me from one of those lechers the first time I ever rode the bus alone (the reason why I hate commuting in the morning), or maybe when he gave me TamTam on my 16th bday. I just know that I'd be forever grateful to him. And that no matter what, I'd always follow him because I know that he will never let me do anything that would harm me. That guy may be annoying most of the time, but deep inside, I know he has a good and caring heart.

 

-

 

The next morning, I managed to wake up just in time before my alarm went off. I guess I learned my lesson yesterday. I wouldn't wanna be left again. Thinking about the horror of taking the public transportation in the morning is enough to make me shudder. I took a bath, donned my uniform dried my hair and tied it into a ponytail. I went down to grab a quick breakfast then dashed outside. I heaved a sigh of relief when I saw Jiyong's car outside their house. I was strolling into the car's direction when it's owner suddenly went out from their house.

'Hey dummy, being punctual is becoming your new habit eh? Afraid that I'd leave you again?' He said while sauntering into his car. He was wearing the school uniform just like the rest of the other students but he always manage to make it look like some kind of a designer's suit. The prick really knows how to dress up.

'Good morning too Jiyong. Can we go now? I wouldn't want you to be late' I said sarcastically, ignoring his previous comment.

'Testy, aren't we? Is it that time of the month?' He asked innocently. As if I wouldn't read behind it. The guy is obviously in a mood to tease me.

'Jiyong! Unlock the car and let's go.' I snapped. 'Yes you're majesty.' He mocked. He unlocked the car then we slid into our seat. 'Seatbelt?' He asked. He always checks everytime we ride into school. 'Fastened' 'Good girl' He said while giving me a pat in the head then started the car. What am I? A kid?

'So, about yesterday' Jiyong started after a few minutes of silence. 'Mmm?' I questioned. Still looking at the road. 'Were there really lechers on the bus?' He asked cautiously, I stole a glance at him then saw his jaw ticking. Is he mad at something? 'Of course there was.' I replied. He suddenly stepped on the break. I was almost thrown from my seat if not for the seatbelt. 'What the hell was that for?' I cried. 'Did they touch you?' He asked, ignoring my outburst.

'Touch? Who?' I asked in return. What the hell is happening with this guy. He's really losing it.

'The lechers...in the bus' he said with an almost pained expression.

'Oh that! No, they didn't. I managed to sneak a seat near an old lady. I thought that was pretty much safe' I flustered. Maybe his conscience is bothering him after what I said yesterday, though I must say his reaction was very exagerrated. He swallowed, then cleared his throat.

'Good...good' he muttered then started his car. The rest of the ride to school was spent in silence. I was already going out from his car when he grabbed my wrist and set me on my seat once again.

'Sorry...for yesterday. I haven't thought about the lechers. Sorry.' He said in a small voice looking straight at me. Even though I felt like gloating, I refrained myself. I don't think it was the right time for my antics. 'Apology accepted!' I said, giving him a small smile.

'Thanks. And by the way, we'll have to meet later. Today is a tuesday.' He reminded me. 'Alright, alright' I said then slipped out from his car. Aigoo~~that was rather sweet of him.

 

~

 

'Good afternoon students and Welcome to our weekly drama club meeting. Our agenda for today is all about the English Festival which will be celebrated next month' Mrs. Jung was saying the moment me and Tabi entered the Drama club hall. We were kinda late since we had to drop Bom at the Music hall where the Music club members gather for their weekly meeting.

'This year, in celebration of our English festival, I want the Drama club to perform the famous Shakespeare tragedy, Romeo and Juliet' Mrs. Jung continued... 'But, this year would be different from the past years where all the parts were played exclusively by the Drama club members. This year, the Drama club would hold an open audition for all the characters. English Festival isn't just a Drama club exclusive affair but a schoolwide celebration, therefore we want to encourage active participation from students which are not part of any clubs. Don't worry guys, those that will not be chosen for the acting parts will work on the production team and some will serve as acting coaches.' She momentarily paused. 'Yes class, I want the over-all production to be handled by the Drama club. Understand?' Mrs. Jung ended.

The club members murmured their words of assent. 'Good! Seung Hyun, may I please talk to you privately about the play?' Mrs. Jung called to Tabi, the Drama club president. 'Yes Mrs. Jung' Tabi answered already rising from his seat.

'Dara! Dara' Daesung called while trotting in my direction. He is also a Drama club member. 'Oh, hi Dae' 'Are you auditioning for the play?' He asked.

'I'm not sure. Maybe.' I answered vaguely. 'You should! You're perfect for Juliet' he said encouragingly. I snorted. 'I am not really fond of Juliet Dae, I'd rather be Rosaline' 'Why? Don't you wanna be the lead?'

'Umm. I'm not sure I can handle that. Besides, my last acting stint was during my Elementary days. There's a lot of girls out there who can play Juliet better than me. How about you?' I asked in return.

'Yeah. Sure. There's no harm in trying right?' 'Definitely! I'm sure you'll land a part. Who knows, you might end up being Romeo?' I encouraged. Based on some of their plays I've seen, I must say that Daesung can act.

'Thank you Dara. I'd sure hope so. Though like you, I really don't wanna play Romeo. I don't think I can take the pressure'

'Good luck then!'

'And to you, too. Really Dara, give it a try. Oh hey, there's YoungBae' he announced and there is YoungBae along with Park Bom going inside the Drama hall.

'Hi D! Where's Tabi?' Bom asked the moment she caught site of me. 'At Mrs. Jung's office, Drama club president duties' I answered.

'hey Dara, ssup?' Taeyang greeted.

'Ssup yourself. How was your Music club meeting? What's your presentation for the English festival?' I asked in return

'Huh? What presentation?' Taeyang asked in return. Bom rolled her eyes at Taeyang.

'Wow, you weren't really paying attention during the meeting. The presentation for the English festival. Remember? Bom added.

'Oh, that!' Taeyang exclaimed, 'Care to remind me? You're right, I wasn't really paying attention. How can I? when you were there sitting in front of me?' Taeyang said with a hint of humor.

'Shut up Taeyang, that's not even funny.' Bom said with a wave of dismissal.

'Anyways, according to Master Sean, we will present a musical based on a classic novel chosen by the club members. We'll pick the songs and do the arrangements. I'm sure it would be fun! How about yours?

'Romeo and Juliet.' I sighed.

'Oh D, poor you.' Bom said sympathetically. Truth is, I never really liked Romeo and Juliet. I just hate tragedies.

'So, what part are you playing Dara?' Taeyang asked.

'Uhm, actually there's an open audition. So I don't really know. I may not be picked, even.'

'An open audition? You mean, anyone can join in?'

'Yes B, anyone. You interested?'

'Only if Tabi plays Romeo, then I might join in and grab Juliet's part' Bommie slyly said then winked at me.

'Oh...and speaking of my dear Romeo, there he is' And there was Tabi approaching us from Mrs. Jung's office. 'Hey Tabi, you ready to go?' Bom asked.

'I guess so, how about you guys? Me and Bom are planning to start our study routine tonight at my place. Wanna join in?' Tabi dutifully asked looking at me, Dae and Taeyang.

'I guess Dae and I will pass. We need to go somewhere. Thanks anyways' YB said while smiling his crinkly smile at Bom.

'Me too. Kwon wants us to meet tonight. Sorry guys. Next time' I regretfully said.

'Ok then, Tabi it's just the two of us. Let's go?' Bom asked, grinning from ear to ear. I can almost read the naughty thoughts going on in her mind.

'Sure. Dara, come on. I'd drop you at your stop' offered Tabi.

'Alright. Thanks Tabi.' I turned to Taeyang and Dae 'We have to go guys. See you tom.'

'Bye guys!' Dae said while waving. 'See you.' Taeyang said with a smile.

 

*After a long time, finally, an update!