Chapter 1a - Tangled

Partner in Love

 

'KWON JIYOOONG!' I shouted at the top of my lungs when I found out that the bastard, the effin' bastard! left me and went to school without me. I mean, yeah, I was late for about 5 minutes...eh, ok...10 minutes but that's not enough reason to leave me right? It's not like it's my fault that my bed is dragging me back. So me, poor Sandara Park needs to use the public transportation to go to school today. Oh life! I'm so gonna kill that Kwon Jiyong! There is nothing in the world I hate more than using the public transportation in the morning. All the people rushing, the lechers in the bus, the pollution.

 

Kwon Jiyong who lives next door to me and who has been my ah..i dunno if friend is the right term since I'm always the one who's bothering him and he, on the other hand, is always passive towards me, has a car and always gives me a ride every morning (ever since he got that cool car) in exchange that I won't bother him at school. (which I used to do before, I just love annoying him) See, he is Mr. Popular at school. The Top student, President of various clubs, Editor in chief of the school paper...etc. Name it, the guy has it. While me, Sandara Park, possibly holds the record for the most number of detention and also a constant visitor at the principal's office due to different reasons. So, can you imagine what people would say if they saw us together. Not that they don't know that we're neighbors and friends as well. Some of his fangirls (the guy has tons) even asked me to give Jiyong their letters, gifts and other whatnots. But you'd never know right? The last thing we need are wagging tongues. That's why the poor guy asked me stay away from him and not bother him at school. He knows it wouldn't be good for my image, right again?

 

~

 

'Aack! I'm so tired' I ranted the moment I entered the classroom and slumped in my seat.

 

My BFFs Bom and Tabi already arrived. My seat is sandwiched by the two of them. Bom in front of me and Tabi at the back. Kwon Jiyong's seat is on Tabi's left side. (FYI, just in case you want to know)

 

'Hey D, why so grumpy early in the morning?' Bom asked.

 

'Yeah D, you look totally tired' Tabi seconded while leaning closer to me.

 

'oh guys, i took the public transpo this morning. I swear it was so stressful I might have lost a few years of my life' I complained to the two of them.

 

'why? Where's Kwon?' Bom queried.

 

'the bastard left me, i swear i'm going to kill him! Where is he by the way? Why isn't he here?' I asked while looking at his empty seat.

 

'no idea, i haven't seen him ever since i came in. How about you Tabi? You arrived here first which was surprising huh' Bom transferred her gaze at Tabi behind me. Tabi doesn't like waking up early (who does?) and usually arrives late.

 

'Oh! I haven't seen him too. I woke up early guys. I jogged' Tabi guiltily said.

 

'you JOGGED?' me and Bom chorused. Both of us surprised with his declaration. It's not that Tabi isn't health conscious, the guy usually goes to the gym or run thrice a week but never early in the morning.

 

'Yes! What's so wrong with that, neh?' Tabi challenged while jutting out his chin.

 

'What's wrong is that you are so lazy early in the morning that you don't even chew your cereals and now you tell us that you just jogged?! Wow Tabi that's amazing. A miracle actually' i shrieked

 

'eeh, stop shouting D. It's just that...Eh...ah..' Tabi stammered

 

'Choi Seung Hyun! Spill it!' Bom said while narrowing her eyes.

 

'ah...eh...Bom, Dara...there..there was this cute...ehh..super hot guy..who moved in next door to our house last week...and..' Tabi started, looking down and fiddling with his fingers. A tell-tale that the poor guy is nervous.

 

'...and?' Bom queried while looking straight at Tabi

 

'...and he asked me last night to join him on his morning jog.' Tabi finished. 'I think he was just being friendly, you know, new neighborhood and all' he further explained.

 

'so, a hot guy huh. So, does this hot guy knows that you are...you're...not straight?' Bom asked.

 

Yes, unfortunately for the whole race of woman kind. My friend Tabi isn't really straight. He has eyes which is enough to melt any woman but he uses it instead in admiring pretty and hot guys. But that's about it. He just looks but he never really went out and dated some guy. Since according to him his morals wouldn't allow him to do more than just stare. He even had this stupid vow of celibacy. Yep, he's weird that way. That's why he totally fitted in with our clique.

 

'Of course not! Duh!' Tabi exclaimed while rolling his eyeshadowed eye at Bom.

 

Bom smirked.

 

This is a normal scenario between the two. Tabi, always drooling secretly for some *hot guy* and Bom always bursting his bubble. Even though Tabi is gay, still Bom can't help it that she likes our BFF no matter how many times Tabi rejected her and told her that he really can't develop any type of romantic attraction for girls.  Ah, poor heart. Love is just so complicated. So if I ever fall in love, I'd choose some normal, average guy. Perfect for the normal, average girl like me.

 

'Good Morning class!'

I was awakened from my reverie by the entrance of our class adviser Ms. Kim along with the mighty Kwon Jiyong.

 

'Good morning Maam' the class chorused.

 

'I have a very important announcement to make.' Ms. Kim started while looking intently at us.' As you all know, our school, Seoul High, is committed in producing graduates that are highly competent. Graduates that are equipped with enough knowledge and skills which will enable to them to survive college. In line with this, the school administration have devised a program that will encourage you more in doing well in your studies. We wanted you to maximize your potentials. We have also consulted with your representative, Mr. Kwon Jiyong, the Batch President about this and he thinks it's a very good idea.'

 

So that was where he went. Meeting with the principal huh?

 

The class fell silent while Ms. Kim was explaining about this program that the high and mighty Kwon Jiyong thinks as a 'very good idea' which, in that case would definitely be BORING.

 

'So, the school administration decided to launch the 'Study Partner' program' Ms. Kim finished.

 

'Study Partner program? How does it work?' Taeyang asked.

 

'Basically, the school administration will appoint a student his/her study partner. The two of you must work together and make sure that there is improvement in both of your school performance...but since some of you are already performing well' Ms. Kim said while glancing at Jiyong 'and some are not-' while glancing at me 'we have decided to pair those from the top of the class to those who obviously need guidance.'

 

There were mixed reaction in the class. Some were shining with excitement especially the girls, probably thinking about the possibility of being paired with Kwon Jiyong. Others looked as if they're ready to throw up, including me. Uh-oh. This is so not good. I don't wanna get stucked up with some boring partner from the top students in the class.

 

'Both of you need to formulate a joint study schedule and routine wherein you discuss and help each other on subjects which you find difficult. And class, the administration wanted to motivate you in undergoing this program. So each of the student constisting the pair which had shown the biggest improvement by the end of the school year, will win a trip for 5 to Jeju Island for 3 days..aside from the additional credits for your grades'

 

There was a murmur of assent in the class. Looks like it wouldn't be that bad. Who wouldn't want a vacation in Jeju? Plus higher grades. It's a win-win situation.

 

'Now class, are you ready to know who your study partner is? Let's start with...' i drowned on Ms. Kim while thinking about the program. Frankly, having a study partner is fine with me. I know I've been close to failing some subjects, it's not that I'm dumb or something, but I seem to have no interest in studying or even going into class. I just can't wait to go into college.

 

'Choi Seung Hyun...you're paired with Park Bom' Ms. Kim announced. Truth is, Tabi kinda excelled in class too. I dunno how he does it while hanging out with me and Bom at the same time.

 

'Dong Youngbae and Kang Daesung'

 

'Argh. Why am I paired with Kang Daesung and not with someone like Park Bom?' Taeyang grunted. Poor guy. Him and Dae are friends but I don't think anyone would want to be partnered with Dae in STUDYING. The guy can't stay in one place in one minute. He's always moving.

 

'and lastly, Kwon Jiyong, you take care of Sandara Park' Ms. Kim finished.

 

'What? This can't be.' i shrieked, the whole class looked at me like I was crazy. 'Ms. Kim, can't me and Bom change partners?'

 

'Oh Dara, you have no right to be choosy. And c'mon, how dare you reject Jiyong-oppa' Sulli, one of Jiyong's fangirls interjected while looking flirtatiously at Jiyong. Jiyong, on the other hand gave her a warm smile. The nerve!

 

'Well Sulli, if you want him...let's change partners instead. Guys, Ms. Kim, don't get me wrong. It's not that I don't think Kwon Jiyong isn't great or something...it's just that...ah...' I stammered. I felt the need to defend Jiyong and myself since the whole class looked at me like they all want to behead me. Especially Kwon's minions...uh, fangirls.

 

Honestly, I think Kwon Jiyong would really be able to do his part well. I just have a feeling that me and him being study partners wouldn't be good for my very active social life. Or my life in general.

 

'I'm sorry Dara, but the administrations decision is final...' Ms. Kim said 'Moving on to our lecture for today...' she continued obviously ending the subject.

 

I slumped in my seat, defeated. I glanced at Kwon Jiyong to see how he is reacting. I found him looking at me as well, smirking.

 

I rolled my eyes at him and I swear I heard him chuckle.

 

It's official. I.am.going.to.kill.Kwon.Jiyong.soon.

 

 

*an

Please do not kill me for what I did to Tabi. o.O

Comments are very much appreciated