Chapter 5

Disconnected

“I don’t even know why you’re making such a big fuss.” Hiromi said with a sigh, as she checked one last time to make sure her son was securely strapped in his car seat before shutting the door to the sedan.

“A fuss?” Yumi croaked out.  She had called her sister immediately after she found out what Jinhwan did, and although Hiromi was busy with running errands she told Yumi to tag along. Looking for much needed support and guidance, Yumi went hoping her sister would empathize with her. But she was beginning to think that she was better off staying home. “I am asking for a divorce Hiromi, not making a fuss.”

Her older sister spun around, an annoyed expression on her face. “You are making a fuss, Yumi.” She repeated, leaning into the shopping cart and grabbing the last two plastic bags of groceries before bumping her hip against the cart so it would roll over to Yumi, nonverbally directing her to put it back. “I mean, he did come out and admit to being married, didn’t he? Isn’t that what you wanted?” Hiromi asked, opening the front passenger side door and tossing the remaining bags onto the floor in front of the seat.

Yumi didn’t respond and instead pushed the cart toward the corral where every other shopper left his or her no longer needed carts. Of course her sister would be oblivious to how unhappy she was. Hiromi had the happily ever after Yumi wanted. She was married to Mr. Perfect, lived in the perfect house, had the perfect little son with the perfect bank account - naturally she had no idea what unhappiness meant.

“Telling the whole world we’re married isn’t going to fix things.” Yumi bitterly said, jumping into the passenger seat and shutting the door behind her while Hiromi turned the car on.

“Well then, tell him what he needs to do to fix it.” Her sister replied matter-of-factly, looking over her shoulder as she pulled out of the parking spot.

Looking out the window Yumi sighed, her finger playing with the window-lock button on the armrest. “See that’s the thing. Our marriage has gotten to the point where I don’t think anything can fix it. And besides, I shouldn’t have to tell him what to do. If he were really invested in this marriage he would know what was wrong. He would be feeling the same way I am, no?”

---

Jinhwan felt like the air was literally knocked out of him when his best friend pulled him into a bear hug. “I knew you would come to your senses one day, man.” Teddy said, slapping Jinhwan on the back a few times for the hell of it before finally letting go.

“Uh, yeah. Better late than never.” Jinhwan added sheepishly. The man knew just how much Teddy disliked his decision to keep his marriage with Yumi a secret and would never hesitate to tell Jinhwan that it would do more harm than good by doing so. The rapper had to admit he was happy to see Teddy’s satisfaction with his decision to reveal the truth. Which was more than what he could say for his manager. Baek Kyoung had remained silent the entire car ride back to his office and Jinhwan was beginning to worry. He knew his manager would be upset but the silent treatment was killing him. It was like the calm before the storm, and the “storm” was what Jinhwan was terrified of.

Baek Kyoung was just about to unleash his wrath but held off on it when his secretary came running into his office. “The phone has been ringing off the hook!” The petite doll-like woman squealed with delight, jumping up and down in place and clapping her hands, while she beamed from ear to ear. “Everyone wants to get to know Jin and hear his story. I’ve got three magazines waiting on hold right now, wanting to schedule a photo shoot with you and Yumi!”

Jinhwan looked back at the young woman entirely flabbergasted. He hadn’t expected this type of response. He figured the media would ridicule him for not clearing up the scandal sooner, or that her fans would start calling him a cheater. Baek Kyoung looked back at his secretary and began to shout out the flurry of questions he had in his mind. “What are you talking about Sandara? Why would they be calling asking for things like that? And calm down, I can’t understand with you squealing like that.”

Sandara winked at Jinhwan before turning her attention toward her boss and answering him. “Right after the radio show, the phone just wouldn’t stop ringing. All these reporters just kept asking questions about Jin and Yumi, and I may have said a few things-”

“What things Dara?” Jinhwan asked, slightly worried about the she may have disclosed to the public.

“Oh, just the stories you’ve told me. Don’t worry, I didn’t say her last name or where she worked or anything like that.” She added when she saw the apprehension on the rapper’s face. “I just told them how you guys met, and how her parents didn’t approve but you guys got married regardless. After telling a few people that, the number of calls just increased. I swear, it’s like all the reporters talk to each other or something. Anyways, they are calling you two the real-life Romeo and Juliet, well except for you know, the whole killing yourself part. I totally have to agree, you two fit the role perfectly! Oh crap, the phones!” The pint-sized secretary scurried out of Baek Kyoung’s office and ran toward her desk.

Jinhwan didn’t know how to react as he turned to look over at Baek Kyoung and shuddered when he saw the same money-crazed expression he had on his face when the scandal with the pop artist had first broken out. “I don’t know what you’re thinking, but keep Yumi out of this.” The rapper warned, walking up to his manager. “She stays away from the lime light, you know that. I don’t think I have any psychotic fans, but no one goes near her. I don’t care if they’re diehard fans or the in’ president, photos of Yumi will not get released.”

Baek Kyoung remained silent as he continued to watch while Sandara tried desperately to keep up with the ringing phones. “You know I was just about to rip you a new one right now.” His manager admitted, finally tearing his eyes away from his secretary to look at Jinhwan. “But I believe you just made your smartest move yet.”

“I hope so,” Jinhwan said under his breath. He could only pray that by revealing the truth it would enable him to hold onto Yumi longer. At least long enough to fix their seemingly failing marriage.

---

By the time Baek Kyoung finally let Jinhwan go home it was already late and he was exhausted. It was hard to believe that it was only that morning when Baek Kyoung stopped him from trying to chase Yumi down the street in fear of everyone finding out the truth, and now he could safely announce to the world he was going home to see his wife. The apartment was pitch black and a shiver ran down his spine when he saw the silhouette of Yumi sitting on the couch. Memories from last night when Yumi had told him she wanted a divorce flooded his mind and he tried earnestly to convince himself that this night would be different.  

“I can’t believe you would do that,” Yumi choked out.

Maybe not, the rapper concluded, walking into the living room. He wondered if it was even worth it to flick the lights on. He didn’t think he could handle seeing her cry again. “I’ve always wanted to tell everyone we’re mar-”

“I can’t believe you would lie.” She cut him off, somberly staring out the window. Her better judgment thought against looking at him directly, and she instead focused on the calm darkness that was the city at night.

This was clearly not the reaction Jinhwan had been expecting, and he couldn’t help but let his emotions take the reigns on how he handled the situation, as he began to shout. “Lie? What did I lie about? Yumi, we are married.” The loyal German Shepherd rose to his feet, sensing the elevation of intensity in the rapper’s voice and began to quietly growl.

Jinhwan froze, his eyes darting from his unmoving wife to the canine that looked like he was about to jump up and attack him at any moment. “Did you not hear me?” Yumi asked calmly, placing the palm of her hand on Roman’s nape and scratching his fur lovingly before turning her attention to the immobilized rapper. “Did you not understand? I want a divorce, Jinhwan. I’m not asking for one, nor am I simply thinking about getting one. I’m telling you, I want a divorce.”

Keeping his eyes on the threatening Shepherd, Jinhwan replied. “And did you not get my message? I’m not letting you go, Yumi. Whatever it is that I’ve done, I’m sorry, but I promise you things will get better.”

“Stop it!” Yumi finally yelled out, startling even herself as her voice echoed in the small living room while she stood up to her feet. “How you can you make promises like that when you don’t even know what’s wrong in the first place?” She took two steps toward him, Roman following suit, a strip of fur running along his spine sticking up in the air as he proceeded to growl again. “I’ve been trying to tell myself that things would get better the past four years! I’m tired of making up excuses for you. I’m done.”

Determined to get his point across, Jinhwan fought back. “I’m not lying, or making false promises. I mea-”

“You said we were happily married.” Yumi cut him off for what seemed like the umpteenth time and Jinhwan was getting frustrated with the fact that his wife wasn’t giving him the chance to speak his mind. “I don’t know what’s going on in that mind of yours but this doesn’t look like a happy marriage to me.”

“W-what?” The rapper stuttered. “What are you saying? You aren’t happy?”

“Are you blind?” Yumi asked rhetorically, a look of utter shock on her face. “I haven’t been happy for the past four ing years Jin!”

Those words hurt him more than any physical wound ever could. Her statement meant that all the blood, sweat, and tears he put into trying to make it big so he could provide for her, so he could make all her dreams come true were for nothing. Both his resolve and anger shattered instantly. “There’s a roof over our head, food on the table, we have each other isn’t that– that was never enough was it?”

The sudden change in his mood caught Yumi off guard as she stared back at him watching how quickly his eyes glistened. “Love alone is not enough.” She said exasperatedly, her anger deflating just like his.  “I learned that the hard way. I guess you still have to.”

“I-I’m sorry.” His voice echoed the sense of hopelessness he felt.

Yumi shook her head, fighting her own tears as they threatened to fall. “Sorry isn’t going to change anything.” She said, taking a few steps toward her bedroom before stopping. “I can’t believe you would even tell everyone we’re married, after I told you how I felt last night. How am I?“ She sighed, turning around to face him and moving her arm away when he tried to reach out for it. “This doesn’t change anything you know that right? Admitting to the public that we’re married – it doesn’t change how I feel.”

“Then tell me.” Jinhwan pleaded, taking a step toward her trying to act unfazed when she took a step back away from his advances. “Tell me what I can do to change it, the way you feel. I’ll do anything. Please.” Pain coursed through every fiber of his being, as he looked at her hoping he could do something to fix it, praying there was a way to end this mess in his favor.

She walked up to the doorway of her bedroom, Roman pushing passed the couple and entering the room first before she spoke again. “I’m moving out tomorrow, and you can’t do anything to stop me.”

 

 


word count: 2086

thanks for reading!