7

The Ghost in the Manhole

 

Wooyoung’s POV

I didn’t enjoy the educational tour. Firstly, it seems that someone intentionally placed that poop on the ground. Second, Nickhun even took a picture of me when I stepped on that piece of and he even dare to text me and ask me why I’m mad at him when he knows the reason why! Argghh! I am really mad right now!

If I haven’t opened my facebook account I would have not seen the pictures that I were tagged by Nickhun. The pictures where in the album entitled “Unlucky”. When I tried chatting Nickhun about the pictures he even asked me why I don’t smile. It’s not like his my father or something. And what does he care if I don’t smile in my pictures? I do smile in real life. Then he went offline and ended our conversation because he feels sleepy.

Well, if doesn’t want to chat then I will confront him through text! And that’s what I did. He even made me madder when he replied:

“Wooyoung I don’t have any load right now so I cannot answer back anymore. My phone is almost out of battery and I don’t plan on charging it. Ok? What I told you is the truth, so don’t say that I am trying to avoid you.”

That’s the most retarded text message I have ever read. No load but he can text. No more battery but he still doesn’t want to charge his phone! It just means that he is avoiding me! This day is so stressful! Aish, tomorrow is the dance performance. I need to relax.

Monday came.

I arrived at school the usual time; I changed into my costume at the second floor with the rest of my classmates. While doing so, my other classmates where still telling stories and it seems that they are not worried about our performance later.

“Yah Wooyoung let’s go! The program is about to start.” One of my classmates said.

Right after the speech of our principal, the first class to perform went up the stage. I feel nervous right now. We are the ones next after them.

“So guys are you still ok? Just relax and enjoy the performance” Our class president said.

“We are all relaxed, it’s just Wooyoung that feels so nervous. He’s even shaking right now” one of my girl classmates said.

“If you messed up the performance, I swear to god you’ll suffer the ten plagues” Our class president said to me.

“What?! Ok fine I will try my best.” I told them. Please stage fright leave me alone. Go away. Then I can hear the mc announce the next performers which are us and the audience clapped their hands in anticipation.

We started walking to the stage. I felt confident because of the screaming people. I feel that I could do this dance very well. And that’s what happened. My dance movements were full of grace and it looked natural compared to our rehearsals. Then suddenly I was distracted by someone from the audience who shouted “Ahhh!!! Bee!”

Did she just scream bee? ! I went to panic mode in an instant. Unconsciously, I moved backwards until I bumped one of the girl and then she bumped another classmate of ours until all of them fell down and I was the only one left standing. ! This is so embarrassing! Our dance was a complete mess.

“Uhmm..can you give me one sec?!” I told them then I ran to the backstage. I locked the door of the restroom so that no one can enter. I ruined the show! I ruined it. Damn! That bee crossed my borderline...AGAIN!!! Argghh… I Sure made an epic history. Great, now I am a legend. I was sitting on the toilet seat at that moment, shaming myself about my misadventure until I heard a flushing of the toilet beside me. I got out from the cubicle to know who the hell has been there the whole time listening to my soliloquy.

The cubicle’s door swang open and revealed a guy, I recognized him as the deaf grandson of the principal’s secretary. I was so embarrassed that I immediately went out of the restroom o my surprise, the class stood there furious.

“Our whole class was put to shame because of you.” The president blamed me.

“It’s not my fault!”

Then we began arguing with each other then, the vice president of the class stepped in. “Stop this fight. Good thing no one got hurt and we gave them a performance that they will never forget. That’s all that counts right?” Taecyeon, the vice president, defended me.

“OK fine. But Wooyoung you are still not safe.” The president told me.

We changed into our uniform at the second floor. I just went out of the cubicle when I saw Taecyeon fixing his hair.

“Uhmm Taecyeon, thank you!” I told him while I stood beside him

“For what?” He asked me while still fixing his hair.

“For earlier. When you defended me. I thought all of you will forever be mad at me.”

“It’s nothing and just don’t mind our president, she’s just like that”

“Ok, I’ll go ahead then.”

“Wooyoung, wait.” He stopped me

“What is it?” I asked him

“Uhmm are you together with the guy in the lower class?” He asked me shyly.

“Sorry, but I don’t get you. Who’s who?”

“Are you together with Nickhun Horvejkul? “

“Uhmm you know that Nickhun is a guy right? And besides he has a girlfriend” I told him

“Good”

“Come again?”

“Nothing. Come on, let’s go down. I will participate in one of the school’s game today.”

Quadrangle.

I was trying my hardest to camouflage the color of the bleacher where I’m sitting but oh, who am I kidding? I’m not a ing octopus who can mimic the color of its surroundings.  Taecyeon asked me to cheer for him in the race. I told him “Of course I will cheer, it’s for our section.” It still bugs me though about what he asked earlier. Why did he ask if Nickhun and I are together? Taecyeon is a nice guy, gentleman and handsome. In fact, he is my first crush when I was a freshman. I was very flirtatious back then but he didn’t even bother to entertain me or talk to me.

Then out of the blue, Nickhun was already standing in front of me. His smirk is infectious, it’s the type that when you see you’ll know that he will be teasing you.

“Hey! The crowd was crazy about you. What happened back there?”

“Shut up. I have no interest to entertain that question so don’t you dare bring that up…again.”

“Whoa chill!”

“Ok! Now get lost. I’m in a bad mood right now.”
“I’ll go now, but you’ll have to cheer for me in the race. I will be participating.” He told me happily.

“I will cheer for my classmate! Don’t you have any classmate to cheer for you? Ask them and not me!” I answered

“Who’ll be participating in your section? Is he the one?” He pointed to Taecyeon who was stretching.

“Yes and I am sure he will win.”

“I don’t care. Cheer for me okay?”

“No way!” I told him

“If you cheer for me, I will let your classmate win but if you cheer for him, then I am sorry I will make sure that he loses. Sounds fair? So please cheer for me!”

“Fine I will cheer for you, I know that Taecyeon will win.” I told him.

“Yeah right!” Then he run back to the starting line, he waved at me and gave me a wink. My god! Was that true or am I just imagining things. Then the games started.

“Taecyeon you can do it! You can beat him!” I cheered. As I cheered for Taecyeon, Nickhun looked at me, is he mad right now? Uh-oh I forgot that I was supposed to cheer for him. Soon after…

“And the winner is Nickhun”

Amidst the screams of the crowd. Nickhun approached me with a trophe in his hands. He went beside me.

“I was about to make your section win Wooyoung, but I heard that you cheered for him and not me. Just watch me on our play okay?”

“You know you are so fly!”

“ I know cause I can back it up” And then I left him. I’m so down at the moment that I need something upbeat. Hmmm…ice cream will do.

Later in the afternoon, we gathered once again inside the court to witness a stage play. The props are already prepared and there is already a background music. The lights were dimmed and the show is about to start.