2

The Ghost in the Manhole

 

Nickhun’s POV

It has been two days since I met Wooyoung and all I could think was how unlucky that person must be. He even blamed the ones who are maintaining the manhole for his misfortune when in fact it was his own fault. But I must admit, it was the first time that I stared at a boy like that. I mean his kind of cute.

He even looks cuter when we were out of the stinky manhole and even more when he got cleaned. I think it is one of the reasons why I and my brother easily got along with him.

“Yah! Nickhun, you better wake up now!” my mother screamed from the kitchen.

“I’m still sleepy!” I shouted back

“If you don’t get up this instant I will go up to your room and hit you with this broom that I am holding!” She threatened me. Haha! My mother has been like that ever since but still I love her no matter what.

“OK! Fine, I will now take a bath!” I answered back. I picked up my towel and went towards the bathroom. After a few minutes I was already finished taking a bath and I went to the dining room to eat. When everyone was already finished eating,

“Khun, Wooyoung forgot his phone here yesterday, you should return it to him.”

“Okay, bye umma” I told her and said goodbye as I placed the phone inside my bag while going down the stairs.

While I was in the bus, I tried to open Wooyoung’s phone. The screen says that he has 125 messages. 125?! To think of it, this phone was in our house for two days. I tried to open the phone to read the messages but damn, it has a password. I don’t know why but I just love to get my nose on to everything hehe. Aish, if this phone was stolen, the thief would have cried right now because he will not be able to use it.

I arrive at school minutes after my class starts. My first class was History and it was fine to be late in that class.

When I entered the room…

“Stay there Mr. Horvejkul!” My teacher pointed her finger at me

“Ma’am, sorry I’m late” I said

“Why are you late? Don’t you know we’ll be checking the test papers of the top section today?”

“I was late because I helped an old lady to cross the road because she was carrying a lot of things. If I only knew that it would anger you if I tried helping others then I would have let her there to suffer.” I told her. Of course I should look convincing so that she won’t think that I am just making up the story.

“No, I am not angry because of that. Ok, you can go in now. Remind me to give you a plus point in your test paper when we are checking it okay?” Wow, would you believe that? I even got a bonus point! I’m so great.

“Thank you, ma’am” LOL

The one in front of me handed me the test papers. I looked for Wooyoung’s name but I can’t find it there. So I passed the papers to my back and went to the paper that I am checking and placed my name as the corrector. The key answers are already on the board and I was almost annoyed because when I was checking the paper almost all the answers were correct. After rechecking, the score was 70 out of 80. Wow! Only ten mistakes, I think this paper is the highest.

After everyone was finished checking, out teacher started collecting the papers, of course she started saying the highest scores.”

“80?!”

“Ma’am!” We looked at our classmate who raised the test paper he was checking.

“Who is that person?” Our teacher asked curiously. In fact almost all of us were curious who that person is. Imagine he got a perfect score in the exam?

“It’s Jang Wooyoung ma’am” my classmate answered then he handed the paper to our teacher. Wooyoung got a perfect score? Wow! I though the paper that I was holding was already the highest bu then it turned out to be the lowest because I was the last one who stood up and handed the paper over. All of us we’re awed and then our teacher stood from her sit.

“Look at how good the top section is! Their lowest grade is the highest grade in your section” We were already used to this. Comparing us to the top section is not a problem to us anymore.

“By the way, the ones who checked your papers were the top class and I think I won’t be hearing any corrections from you.” She said as she handed us our papers one by one. When she handed me the test paper my mouth went wide open. I immediately looked at the person who checked my test paper.

Corrected by: Jang Wooyoung J

Because of my happiness I instantly shouted “YES!!!”

“Why what happened? Did you get a high score?” Minho asked me and the other turned their heads towards me.

“Uhmm..nope. Wooyoung was the one who checked my paper.” I said

“Wow! Good thing he understood your hand writing!”

“Look who’s talking now.” I told him. I looked at my paper again and examined it. I did not doubt the way he checked my paper. I was just amazed at how beautiful he writes, just like that of a girl.

Okay, I got a score of 54 over 80 and then I got a plus five points so that means yey! I got a score of 59! I wish that the teacher had given me six points instead so that it would be 60 haaay.

Our next class after History is Physics. We seldom use our classroom instead we use the AVR because our teacher always uses power point presentations and we don’t have a problem with that because the AVR is air-conditioned.

When we entered the AVR all of us were shocked.

“, the top class is also here” one of my classmate said

They were sitting in the front seats and we were asked to seat 5 rows away from them. Why are we in one class together with the top class? I asked myself.

“Good morning class!” Our teacher greeted us.

“I’m sorry if I have to put you class together. Because the lower class is a little late with Quantum Theory so for the first hour we will tackle that topic.”

Five minutes later we were distracted when someone opened the door. Someone is late. He sat at the end beside Junho, my classmate.

“Did it already start?” I can hear someone was whispering

“Yup” Junho answered.

“For the one who just arrived, will you please stand?” Our teacher said. ICan hear that he stood up from his seat.

“Uhm excuse me can someone please turn on the light?” our teacher said from the microphone.

“Define, Quantum Theory.” Our teacher ordered the student and when the light was he immediately answered.

“Quantum Theory is the idea that energy comes in tiny “packets” called Quanta, which helps explain the properties of electrons in atoms and the relationship of energy to matter. Quanta of electromagnetic radiation, such as light are called photons. That’s all”

And Wooyoung sat down. , , ! We all looked at the person sitting beside Junho. He answered really well even without looking at his book.

“Oh, it’s you Wooyoung. Why are you late? By the way, that’s very correct” our teacher said

“I asked for help from the nurse’s clinic to remove the bandage on my foot, and thank you ma’am” He softly said.

“Why what happened with you?”

“Uhm, I just slipped.” He answered. Liar! You fell into a manhole!

“Oh, good thing that’s the only thing that happened to you. Have you heard the news that there is this one stupid student who fell into a manhole?” We all laughed and I laughed the hardest.

“Ma’am I’ll just sit here at the back because I was late” He said almost in a whisper. I think he got embarrassed. Haha!

“Ok sure, now let us continue on with the discussion.”

“Hey..Wooyoung!” I whispered several times but he did not look

“Hey..”

“Can the person saying ‘hey’ stop saying it?!” Our teacher said. I could hear Wooyoung laugh and I also laughed a little with him. After an hour our teacher asked again for someone to open the lights. We were like woken up because the light was very bright. The top class immediately went out using the other door, while Wooyoung was cornered by some of my classmates.

“Wooyoung you look cute today!” One of my classmates said.

“Wooyoung I was the one who ckecked your test paper in History!” another classmate of mine said

“Really? What score did I get?”

“Perfect score!” He shouted

“I see.” He answered while walking down the stairs. It looks like he is not shocked to get a score like that.

“I think you got a perfect score in all of your subjects!” My classmates said

“Not really. I already have one mistake in Math because I forgot to place the unit in my final answer and I am dreading my practical in P.E. because its basketball, it would be better if it has been chess.”

“Wooyoung!” I shouted and he turned around

“Nickhun? Your class was the class that was with us?” He said while smiling.

“You know him?” Junho asked.

“Of course, I met him in the man…”

“Shhhh!” He stopped me from spilling it.

“I’ll go ahead now.” Wooyoung said

“Hey wait! I have something to give to you” I tried chasing after him. Wow he can walk really fast.

“Yah!” I stopped from running when he suddenly stopped and turned his direction towards me and he looks angry.

“If anyone knows that I was that student who fell into the manhole, you will die!” He threatened me and he even pointed his finger at me.

“Oh? Even our teacher knows it.” I .

“You are just wasting my time, what do you need?”

“Uhm, you forgot your phone when you were charging it in our house.”

“Thank goodness! I thought I lost it! Give it to me.” He showed me his hand

“It’s in my classroom, I forgot it there. You should go with me there so you can get it.”

“I don’t want to! You will let me walk up to the fifth floor? What if I get tired? I’ll just wait for you here.” He told me

“If I go up to my room and go down again, then I will be the one who will get tired. And besides, whose phone is it anyway? It’s not mine, it’s yours.” Am I really fighting with him now?

“Fine!” He said and gave me his tantrums just like what a child would do.

After a few minutes, “We are here” I told him. I entered the classroom and I went straight to my chair. Some of my classmates were already there still talking about Wooyoung and his perfect score.

When I went out of the room Wooyoung was then again surrounded by my classmates. It irritates me.

“Here is your phone and your charger!”

My classmates looked at us with questioning eyes. Wooyoung then turned around and started to leave.

“Wooyoung!”

“What is it this time?”

“Aren’t you forgetting something?” I asked him

“Ahh, yes. Thank you my good friend.” I scratched my head with what he said

“Not that. I think you should return something to me when we meet here at school?”

“Ah! Yes, your clothes! Sorry I forgot it.”

“It’s ok, it’s all yours. I know you are just making an excuse because you really want it.” I

“Yah! You thinck-faced person!” He said and he suddenly walked out on me.