5

The Ghost in the Manhole

 

Wooyoung’s POV

Thursday morning, during my P.E. class:

“ Wooyoug, how the hell did you do that?”

That’s what my classmates said after witnessing my basketball prowess. They were totally shocked. Something popped up into my mind while looking at those priceless expressions but I didn’t say it to them. Even my P.E. teacher, herself, was in awe of my sudden greatness.

“Wow, Wooyoiung! That’s a first!” She told me ot of amusement while putting a remark on her recorder.

“And there’s more of this to come ma’am!” I exclaimed while throwing the ball farther than the free throw area just to know it’s in. I, once again received a standing ovation! Haha!

Soon as we left the gym, I rummaged my phone from my bag and I was feeling quite excited to leave Nickhun a message. Okay you may be wondering why. Saturday that afternoon, after the tutoring errand, he sent me a text message. A group message that went something like this,

Good afternoon everyone!

It’s nice to eat street foods once in a while!

To my dear classmares, we have a practice tomorrow! There will be a fine for every minute you are late! I am serious!

P.S. Your shirt is now mine! Hahaha! :p

And because of this I messaged him.

“I never said that it’s yours! You return it to me on Monday!”

To cut it short that’s what happened. Every time he will send a group message he never fails to put something there just to tease me and that is why I always reply to his messages. But at one point, I forgot that I have to return his shirt on Monday but none of us ever mentioned it. The same thing happened on Tuesday and Wednesday. And today, I remembered his shirt but I was already at school and I left it at home. Somehow I forgot the purpose of the reminder icon of my phone.

I immediately scanned his message before the next class starts. And it says, “Good job! Can’t wait you do the same next Monday on your dance performance!” What the hell is wrong with me? I feel nervous every time he sends me a message.

When it was time to go home, I saw a street food vendor surrounded by many people but most of them were students from my school.

“Why are there so many people there?” I asked my driver.

“It’s the street vendor that sells the most delicious ddeokbokki that is why there are so many people there” Answered my driver. Now maybe this is the time to know how that thing tastes. Oh by the way, when I told Nickhun that I haven’t tried eating ddeokbokki he said that he pities me because I haven’t tasted a good food ever. He even told me a story about a guy selling those things that became very rich and successful. And I was like, “Didn’t I text not to judge me about that? And yet you did.”

I asked my driver to pull over at the vacant lot and I went out of the van. When I reached the stand I immediately ordered.

“Can I have 10 pieces of ddeokbokki” After a few minutes my food was ready. I called for my driver and he came nearer to get the food from my hand. While walking back to the van, I am still savoring the taste of ddeokbokk. It’s really delicious! Starting this day I will make this my official snack instead of blueberry cheese cake and milk tea.

Right after eating, I texted Nickhun about it.

“Hey Nickhun! I had already eaten ddeokbokki! In your face!” Isn’t my message too childish? Well never mind. The important thing is I had tasted it. He just replied “LOL you are like a kid”. Like I didn’t think of that earlier. Then he asked me if I have a facebook account.

“Yes.” I replied. What does he think of me? I do have a social life! Of course I have an account there. It’s where my techie-teachers posts take home quizzes, assignments and projects.

“So you won’t ignore me if I send you a friend request right now?”

I opened my phone browser and I logged in to see, he did send me a friend request. Since I know himand we have a mutual friend which was Junho, I confirmed it. What harm would it possibly do to me? When I arrived home I went to my room and my laptop.

He was wearing my shirt in his profile picture. I have a feeling that he does not want to return it to me anymore and I guess it would be mean if I just asked him to return it to me even though it’s fine with me for him to have it. It’s his already but I will also not return his clothes anymore which is inside my closet.

When I add someone new, I immediately scan the previous wall posts and albums. I can’t deny it, Nickhun looks really handsome and he has a good personality. His wacky pictures are really funny. Then I clicked one album entitled ‘The Past’, I saw some pictures of him and the girl that I saw in the picture in his room. In fairness to Nickhun, he has taste in choosing his girlfriend. They have chemistry and the look cute as a couple. But why is it in the album ‘The Past’? Does it mean they ended their relationship?

I was in the middle of sorting the mystery when I received two notifications. Both were from Nickhun. The first one: thanks; the second one: a link to a video that says ‘Watch this touching video’. So I clicked the link in a new tab and I watched it in full screen. There is a cute ballerina dancing going to her room. Right after she entered the room, there’s a ghost that came out of the room near the video recorder. I don’t know with you but all I know is that I screamed! I cried at that time not because I was touched but more like I was shocked. I immediately commented on his post.

YOU ARE SO MEAN!!!! :(((

Seconds after, he liked my comment.

I know. Good luck on Monday! :)

Seriously?! I logged out and I rested for a while. Now I regret when I told myself What harm would it do? Now I need some distraction before I go to sleep. I don’t want to have nightmares because of that video. So I took the chance to practice our dance for the school anniversary. Then suddenly my fears were gone.

By Friday, the faculty called for a general assembly. The said assembly is in line with the school anniversary. It’s so hot in the quadrangle. Others were perspiring, especially those small freshmen. Anyway, the assistant principal said that we will have a field trip.

After that, nothing special happened except Nickhun who kept on criticizing my facebook pictures when I went home. He said that he could not see me smiling in my albums and that I always have a poker face of a duck-face. Asih! He’s irritating me!

I chat with him.

Me: Yah! How could you say those things?!

Him: Haha! It’s true!

Me: No it’s not!

Him: Yes it is. Cleverbot told me so.

Me: You are talking with that thing? It’s just randomness and lies

Him: What are you saying?! I asked him if I am handsome and he answered ‘Yes’

Me: Show me the evidence

Him: Sure! You ask for it. I’m not making a story here.

Suddenly I received a notification. Nickhun posted on my wall and it was a screen shot of him chatting with cleverbot. It’s true he is not joking. Then at the bottom of the screen I saw that he asked if that thing knows me but I couldn’t see the reply of the thing because the image was cut off there. So I chat him again and asked him.

Me: What did cleverbot said if he knows me?

Him: Secret :) 

Me: Tell me! It’s my right to know! It’s my name that is involved here, so you better tell me now!

Him: I don’t want to!

Me: I will count up to three, ONE

Him: Two! XD

Him: Ok ok I will show you the screen shot privately.

I closed the chat box. Why does he need to tell it privately? It’s just a simple question. Shortly, I received a message from Nickhun. I opened it and then I saw the continuation of Nickhun and Cleverbot’s chat.

Nickhun: Do you know Jang Wooyoung?

Cleverbot: Of course, he’s the one who loves you!

Nickhun: ….

Cleverbot: I have no response.

 So that is why he wanted it to be in private. Very thoughtful of him. Okay I’m not gonna lie, I was blushing at that moment. Because I really do. Damn!

Him: Hello?!

Me: Hmmm…

Him: What’s your reaction with Cleverbot’s reply? Randomness or Lie?

Well I don’t know, definitely random but could it possibly be a lie? Well, I grew fondness of him…a little.

Him: Hello?! Wooyoung? What’s it gonna be?

Me: Randomness

Him: :)

Him: Let’s play Tetris!

Me: No thanks. You might lose to me :) 

Then I disabled the chat so that I can concentrate on doing my research in Physics. Besides, I need to finish this so I can go out on the weekends. I forgot that there is an educational tour on Sunday. Okay then. I will just go out on Saturday.

A lovely Saturday morning came. I opted to stay in the backyard so I could absorb some vitamin D from the sun. I observed that my grandmother’s sunflowers were now beginning to bloom. I promised her before she died that I’m going to take good care of them. That is, if there are no bees but if I hear a buzzing sound I let our gardeners do the job. Recently my parents always go out of the house earlier as it should be. It’s seldom that we will have a family bonding because they are so busy but we make it to a point that we will have dinner together.

I am now having second thought if I will go to the mall later. It seems that it’s no fun without company. Junho is busy volunteering at the daycare. It’s what he do every Saturday. I feel sad all of a sudden. I’ll just play Tetris for now.

I just need to fit one more block to score then suddenly the chat box popped-up and I lost. Damn it! Oh it’s Nickhun.

Him: Hi :)

Me: :(

Him: Why? Is your morning not good?

Me: It’s supposed to be good but I lost in Tetris.

Him: Haha! It’s a beautiful morning and you are playing Tetris.

Me: I don’t have anything else to do. I am bored.

Him: Same here. Let’s go out

Wait a minute. I blinked my eyes a couple of times at what he said. That not even a question. What does that mean? But hey! At least I have company.

Me: Where?

Him: Anywhere, it’s your pick!

Me: Okay spit it out. What are you up to? ;)

Him: Secret. I have a plan and it’s going to be fun! I promise J

Somehow I feel excited. What plan is he talking about? I agreed meeting up with him at the bus station. I still have plenty of time because we will meet after lunch. He told me that he prepared something. Question: Is this a date or am I having illusions? Somebody please wake me if this is a dream! Just kidding, I just have tendency to over analyze things.

I saw Nickhun waiting at the bus station wearing my shirt. Does he change his clothes? I was smiling when I approached him. He smiled back at me as if he read what I am thinking.

“Hi!” He greeted

“Hello.” I answered. Then we rode the bus.

After a few minutes we arrived in front of a mall. So I took the opportunity to ask him.

“So?”

“Starbucks.” He said and smiled at me. Hmm, I can sense that he’s up to no good. He looked for a table that is somehow far away from the counter area. He then placed his bag carefully on the chair.

“I’ll just order” I told him while I’m about to stand.

“Just sit there Wooyoung. We don’t need to order.” He whispered to me so no one could hear. So I returned to my seat.

“So why are we here if we are not going to order?”

“We will not order because I brought coffee.” My eyes widened at what he said. Is he ing serious?

“I also brought a cup with the shop’s logo.” He told me while secretly passing the cup to me.

“Nickhun are you serious?” I asked him “It’s fine with me if I pay for the bill.” I added

“Pssh..you don’t need to pay anything here. This is my plan. Isn’t it fun and nerve wracking?”

I don’t know what came into his mind.

“So what do you want, brown or black coffee?” He asked

“Brown” I smiled at my answer.

“Ah! The coffee here is really good!” Nickhun exclaimed.

“Of course!” I answered. This really made my day. After drinking our coffee we went out stopping ourselves from laughing.

“Thank you sir, come again.” The guard said. Nickhun noticed that my face was red.

“Yah, are you ok? You look so red”

“It’s your entire fault! Hahaha!” Then I laughed loudly. And he laughed with me. Then all of the people around us started looking at us but who cares! This is really fun.

“So what do you want to do next?” He asked me

“Movie! I want to watch a movie, one that is scary! Let’s go!” Because of my excitement I didn’t notice that I dragged him by his hand until we reached the escalator leading to the cinema. It must be the caffeine, whatever.

I instructed him to wait at the waiting area while I buy tickets. I was not planning to make him spend relatively large amount of money. In fact, it’s ok for me to just go window shopping as long as I have company.

I didn’t know that while I was falling in line for the ticket he bought popcorns and drinks. We waited for a few minutes in the waiting area then we entered the cinema. We sat somewhere far from the screen because my eyes couldn’t stand the bright screen.

The movie was not yet in the and I already finished eating my popcorn. I remembered that I skipped lunch earlier. Then I looked at Nickhun’s popcorn and it’s still untouched.

“Can I have some?”

“I don’t want to”

“Fine. I’ll just go then.”

“As If the guard will allow you to re-enter the cinema once you go out.”

“Aish. Please give me some.”

“Okay fine! Good thing I am always ready.” He then gave me his popcorns.

Nickhun is the best! After the movie I still feel hungry so Nickhun and I went to a restaurant to eat. While we were eating Nickhun started a conversation.

“I heard something about you.” His tone was serious which made me a little bit worried. What could it be?

“What is it?” I asked while eating my food. He made a long pause and cracked with a smirk.

“It was your birthday when you fell into the manhole!” He said in a loud voice. He forgot that there are people around.

“Psssh!! You are too loud!” I told him. “Yes, that’s how I celebrated my 19th birthday!” I added.

“Belated happy birthday, I’m sorry if we didn’t have any cake during that time. If I only knew it was your birthday I would have bought one. He told me. I’m beginning to like this guy.

“Thank you! I will never forget that birthday.” I told him. Then it’s my time to ask him a question.

“Uhmmm…Nickhun can I ask you a personal question?”

“Of course!” He replied happily without knowing what I was about to ask.

“Where is your girlfriend Victoria?” This is what I am talking about. Suddenly the smile on his fae disappeared when he heard the word ‘girlfriend’.

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t-“

“She went to Paris and I don’t know if we are over or what. All I know is that she left me here hanging.” . I shouldn’t have asked. Now I feel pity looking at him like this.

“I’m sorry Nickhun.” I told him

“Why are you saying sorry?” He asked me smiling a little bit.

“I just feel like saying it. I don’t know if you are the one who is stupid or her!” I told him. Did that even make sense?

“That is why they have a thing called crazy love” He told me.

“Hey Nickhun, let’s leave its already late.”

“Okay”

We then went out of the restaurant but before parting ways..

“Thank you Nickhun, I had a blast today!”

“Thank you also for making my day too Wooyoung. So I’ll see you tomorrow then?”

“Sure. Bye!”

“Bye, take care”