4

The Ghost in the Manhole

 

Nickhun’s POV

After a long week of school work, I opted to rest because it’s Saturday the following day. Destiny is such a wonderful thing, because it makes me and Wooyoung meet. If we didn’t stumble upon each other I wouldn’t have the chance to wear his clothes. This is mine now. Even if he returns my shirt, underwear and shorts, I will not return this to him anymore.

I was really surprised to find out that Junho was the friend he was talking about. How did that happen? I mean, how could that just be? That day, Junho approached me. It’s such a new experience for me because every time he would approach me it’s either he will throw a trash at me or tell me something really stupid and offending.

(Flashback)

“What do you need?” I asked him

“Wooyoung needs a tutor” He said

“Really? Wooyoung needs a tutor? Are you making me laugh?” Minho asked as if he could not believe what he heard.

“Do you see anyone laughing? No one is laughing right now so that means I am not telling a joke, pabo!” Junho said.

“You be Wooyoung’s tutor if now I will make sure that you will fail the quiz that I will give regarding my report next week.” He told me. Is he serious?

“Don’t do that! If you are mad at Nickhun then be mad at him and don’t include us” Minho argued.

“Well it’s all up to him” Then he returned to their table. He didn’t even wait for my decision. He even made it looked like I don’t have a choice but to agree.

“Nickhun please teach Wooyoung how to play!” Minho pleaded

(End of flashback)

I was afraid that my classmates would blame me if they fail Junho’s quiz next week, so I just agreed. On Thursday, we went room to room to promote to the whole senior class our play. I was asked to lead the promotion because I was the lead actor in the play. Our play was just part of the school’s anniversary and of course the other classes prepared something different.

During the time that I have to promote to the top class, I was really nervous. I feel like I will die! I mean, I couldn’t even smile. The only thing that made my will grow stronger is that when I entered their room I saw Wooyoung was smiling as if he was saying ‘You can do it. I’m here to listen’

On Friday, I really wanted to talk to Wooyoung regarding the tutor thing because I don’t know when will we start practicing and it seems that he was really busy during that day so I approached Junho even if it’s against my will.

(Flashback)

“Junho.”

“I am already finished with the quiz that will make the class fail.” He instantly said.

“You can throw it away, because I will do it”

“Good then.” HE said with a smile on his face

“When will I talk with him?” I asked him

“I don’t know, you should ask him instead of me.” He immediately answered.

“He looks busy, why don’t you ask him instead?” He thought that I was ordering him. I was just asking a favor from him and he instantly got mad.

“Give me your hand.” He ordered me

“Sorry Junho but I only look at you as my classmate and nothing more.” I told him when he grabbed my hand.

“Don’t get too delusional. You are full of yourself.” He then got a pen and he wrote on my hand. I wouldn’t react but to think that he was writing on my hand with a 0.5 tip pen. ! It hurts! You will have your day Junho! I looked at what he wrote on my hand. It was Wooyoung’s phone number. Aish, why does he have to write it on my hand when there’s a paper available to write on?

(End of flashback)

I thought of calling Wooyoung to ask him when we will start our session. I tried to miscall him first and on my second attempt he picked up his phone.

“Hello?” He greeted in an asking tone. Wow, his voice was beautiful. He can be a call center agent.

“Uhmm..Hi this is Khun.”

“Khun?” He asked again.

“Nickhun.”

“How did you know my number?”

“Junho wrote in on my hand. Anyway, when are we going to play basketball?” I asked him while I grabbed a pillow and lay on my stomach.

“You agreed?”

“Yes.”

“Wow! Thank you so much! Junho didn’t bribe you right?” He asked me. No. He didn’t bribe me but he bribed the whole class.

“Of course not, Junho couldn’t bribe anyone, he’ a really good person.” I almost puke at what I said.

“So is it okay if we practice right now?” He asked

“Do you mean right now?” I asked again

“Of course! I am here at a court that I rented for two hours.” That’s why I can hear a ball being dribbled in the background. Maybe he is practicing.

“Uhmm..okay, I’ll go there.” Before I end the call I heard Wooyoung curse.

“! I said time out first!” Haha! He is so funny.

I know that place he is at. I had been there and played there and it was the court that I was first named as the M.V.P. I immediately took a bath and ate breakfast. My father even teased me ‘Where will your date be?’ I don’t really know if he knows who I am going to meet.

“I’ll just play basketball appa. Chansung, want to join?”

“Of course hyung!” Chansung happily said. The two of us walked going to the court where Wooyoung is. When we were there I saw that Junho was with him.

“Hyung!” Chansung shouted from the gate of the court. Wooyoung hurriedly run to us smiling. Even if I don’t want to smile because Junho was there, I could not help it when I saw Wooyoung’s smile. Even Chansung was smiling widely.

“Hi!” He greeted while opening the gate. It looks like he was having a hard time opening the gate so I helped him push it.

“Hi Chansung! He pinched Chansung. Then he let us in. Then Junho went to us smiling. Is this real? If it’s real, then reality is really scary.

“Hi little boy!” he greeted my brother while pinching my brother’s cheeks.

“Yah! My brother will have bruised cheeks!” I told him but he just kept on going

“My name is Junho, what’s your name?” Why does Junho look kind? I am getting goose bumps now.

“Chansung.” He answered happily.

“You are so handsome Chansung, come let’s play!” he invited my brother

“Of course he is good looking just like his brother.” I told him and he didn’t even bother looking at me instead he just grabbed my brother and they played basketball at the other side of the court.

When I looked at Wooyoung, he was smiling while looking at Junho and Chansung playing.

“Junho really likes kids.”

“I noticed too.” I told him while scratching my head. I guess I am just having nightmares.

“His brother died 5 years ago. He loves him so much so when his brother died, he cried and cried. He blamed himself for what happened. During the time he was really sad, he approached me looking for comfort. I told him ‘You can still show that you love your brother every time you play with kids. Just imagine that it’s your brother you are playing with.” Wooyoung said

I never knew Junho went through that. I never knew that he dearly loved his brother. I felt guilty at how I treated him. One more thing that I learned is that Wooyoung is a great friend.

“So shall we start?” He asked me. I blinked my eyes a couple of times and said

“Game.”

Half an hour already passed and he still does not know how to shoot. It’s the first time that I saw Wooyoung sweating like this. His hair was already wet but his face still looks cute. He just looks like he had taken a bath.

“You know, Chansung is better than you” I told him when I passed him the ball.

“In the first place, I don’t really like this game. It’s so physically tiring. I prefer chess over this.” He said, concentrating on dribbling the ball.

“That is why you look thin.” I and I stole the ball from his hands.

“Yah! I am not thin! I just have a slim body.” He corrected me while trying really hard to grab the ball from me.

After a while I just let him practice shooting. I taught him the proper stance when shooting so I opted to rest my feet that are already swollen because he stepped on it a couple of times. I noticed that Junho and Chansung are gone. Where are they? I stood up to look at where they could have gone and I saw then just outside eating ice cream. I feel envious, I also want to buy.

“Wooyoung! There’s ice cream here!” Junho shouted.

“Yehey!” Wooyoung then threw away the ball and went to where Junho is. He forgot that his not yet finished practicing, aish!

“Where are you going? Have you made at least one successful shot?” I stopped him when I saw him running towards the gate.

“But there’s an ice cream vendor there! It may go any time now!” He pointed at the ice cream vendor like a child, pouting. , he looks really cute right now!

“I will go out and be the one to buy the ice cream. You stay there and practice shooting.” I told him . After a while Junho, Chansung and I were eating ice cream happily outside. I tried to make Wooyoung jealous and he really did become jealous. He wanted to go out but he can’t. Aish! When I look at him I pity him. So when I returned inside he was really happy.

“Here’s your ice cream!” He hurriedly grabbed it and it. Have you ever seen a cat itself? He looks like that right now. We sat on the bleachers and there we continued eating. I feel like a really bad person now because Wooyoung was really exhausted and he was still panting while eating his ice cream.

To lighten the mood, I started teasing him.

“So did you bring my shirt?” I asked. He stopped his ice cream.

“I forgot it again. Remind me to bring it on Monday. Aish!”

“Haha, I knew you would forget it again.”

“What about you, did you bring my shirt?” He asked me.

“You know I was about to bring it but then I forgot” I told him happily to make him more irritated. He looks really cute when he is irritated.

“Grr…just bring it on Monday and I will bring yours too.”

“Oh no, I can’t, because I think I will have amnesia on Monday.” He then smiled at my joke.

“So you are the lead role on your play? I didn’t know that you know how to act.” He said

“And I didn’t know that you didn’t know that I can act” He smiled at me and told me to show him.

“Okay for example you are the leading lady and we are at the balcony with only the night sky as our witness.” I told him

“Okay!”

And then we started to act.

“My fair lady, I came here to apologize.” I started

“Why would you need to apologize to me?” Wooyoung asked

“Because I could not help but stare into those beautiful eyes of yours” After I said those words I could see that he was blushing and he felt uncomfortable all of a sudden.

“Uhmm..good, you are good at acting Nickhun. Congratulation, I can see that the audience will love your play.”

“Ohh you think so? So what will your class do for the school anniversary?” Then he became irritated all of a sudden. He’s really unpredictable.

“Aish! We will be dancing a traditional dance.” He sighed

“Why what’s wrong with that?”

“Nothing I just don’t like it. I’m shy”

“I think the audience will like your dance.” I told him

“I’ll give you a tip. When you are performing, remove that inhibitions and think that you are doing this for the audience. Show them that you can do it.”

I saw that he was looking at me and he was smiling. So I stopped what I was saying.

“You are also talkative. It’s funny”

“So will you till back out on dancing? Do you want your class to be embarrassed in front of the whole school? Come to think of it, I had never seen the top class get embarrassed in front of the whole school. Okay don’t join the dance anymore.”

“Wow, one minute you are encouraging me and the next minute you are discouraging me.” Then he stood up and left me there at the bleachers and he continued shooting the ball.

Then after a couple of tries, a miracle happened. It was the first time that I saw that he was able to shoot the ball. He was really happy at what he did. I tried stopping myself from laughing because he might get angry.

“Yah Nikchun! Did you see that?! I’m so great right?!” He shouted. Ok go ahead enjoy the moment while it lasts. It’s almost lunch now and I could see that his getting good at it. Every attempt he made was a success. Wow! He learns really fast. I think it’ because of the ice cream that he ate.

It was quarter to 11 when he decided to stop playing. Even though Wooyoung is really tired, he still looks happy. He opened his bag and he handed me a drink. I sat beside him and I looked at Junho and Chansung. They still look really hyper.

“Thank for teaching me.” He said while looking at Junho and Chansung.

“Welcome. Actually, I was worried that you will be better than me.”

“I can’t you are still better. So, how much?” He asked me after he finished drinking his water.

“What do you mean by ‘how much?’”

“How much should I pay you for teaching me?”

“Oh, don’t worry about it. It’s free.”

“Wow, you are the first tutor that I heard that won’t accept payment”

I just laughed “So, I think we should go first”

“Okay the, goodbye. Tell Chansung to take care.” He told me then he threw another bottle of water for my brother. When I went to Chansung, Junho almost wouldn’t let go of him.

“Bye Chansung! Tell me if your brother is hurting you okay?”

“Okay” my brother answered. I was surprised when Chansung and Junho did some cool handshake. I’m afraid that Chansung will get Junho’s attitude. Better take a closer look at my brother, it’s better to be safe haha!