Chapter Nine

Fishy Hae is mine!

After the window incident, Hyuk was super clingy towards Hae. Everywhere he looked he saw potential danger. If he could have, he would have wrapped Hae in bubble plastic to make sure nothing could harm the boy.

They were currently at the playground. A group of kids, including Huyk and Hae were playing a tagging game. One of the other kids got frustrated cause Hyuk kept preventing anyone to come near his fishy. So the kid shoved the monkey aside and hit Hae right on the head.

'Tag you're it!' The boy screamed.

Hae just rubbed his head with teary eyes.

Suddenly Hyuk went for the boy. He scratched the poor kid, kicked him and even bit him. Three other kids and a teacher had to drag Hyuk away from him. 'Never ever touch my Hae Hae ever again!' Hyuk screamed.

'Hyukjae is scary.' Some other kid whispered.

Hae heard it and turned towards the kid with an angry face. He kicked the kid hard. 'Hyukkie is the sweetest boy in the world!' He yelled and ran off.

'You are stupid.' A girl said to the kicked boy. 'No one insults Hyuk when Hae is near! Stupid!'

 

The rehearsal for the school festival was going well. Both Hyuk and Hae were beaming since they got to dance together. Everyone already knew the monkey could dance but Hae surprised them. The oh so clumsy, sweet boy was one hell of a dancer as well. Together they were unbeatable.

'Hey teacher! Donghae is doing it different than we are!' One of the kids said.

Hyuk sent the boy a death glare. 'Hae is doing it just fine!' He shouted.

'Hyukkie? Am I doing something wrong?'

'No Hae Hae you just have your own way of dancing it, it's perfect!'

Hae smiled sweetly and continued to practice with his tongue sticking out from concentration.

 

'NO, noooooooooo, Hae!' Hyuk woke up from another nightmare. He was sweating and crying. Lately he's been having bad dreams over and over again. They all had the same theme: Hae dying. This time the dream had been about Hae climbing the tree outside and falling down, breaking his neck.

When Hae wasn't coming over to play, Hyuk spent his time on his secret mission. He was ordering his dad around to make steps on the tree to his window and also asked for a safety net kind of thing. Without a second thought he even tested it by climbing half way up and letting himself fall into the net. It worked. His heart could relax for a bit.

Hyuk ran up to Hae's house and rang the door bell.

Hae's umma opened the door.

'Can Hae come out and play?' Hyuk asked.

Hae's umma smiled and nodded. 'Donghae, Hyuk is here for you.'

Within two seconds the boy came running down the stairs, hitting his toe on a corner, rubbing it for a second and continuing to fly towards his monkey.

Hyuk took a mental note of that corner. He would deal with that later on. He dragged Hae towards his house and showed him the tree.

'Super cooooool!' Hae shouted and started climbing. Hyuk followed him. As soon as Hae was on top he turned around and pecked Hyuk on the head. Hyuk got so startled he let go of the tree and tumbled down into the net, making Hae giggle. They played the rest of the day together.

 

One evening, during Hyuk's dance class, Hae sneaked outside and went to Hyuk's house. He didn't enter though. He just went to stand underneath Hyuk's window and eyed the bushes. The ring must be somewhere in there. There was only one problem. Those bushes contained poison ivy. Hae knew this but he had to try and find that ring back. Without wasting more time, he rolled up his little sleeves and started searching. The insects scared him, his arms were getting all itchy, tears were rolling down his cheeks but he silently kept on searching. After two long hours his fingers finally got a hold on the ring. Hae pulled it out of the bushes and wiped it clean. His grin was priceless. He quickly climbed up the tree and waited for his monkey to come home.

Hyuk was tired from dance practice and dropped with a moan on his bed. He kicked off his shoes and turned over. Something caught his eye. He stood up and went to the window. Was hae sleeping on a tree branch?

'Aish that stupid fishy!' Hyuk uttered softly. He opened the window and dragged Hae in. His eyes widened when he saw in what state his friend was. Arms all red, scratched open and bleeding, dirt everywhere, tracks of tears on his face. Hyuk screamed in panic.

Hae woke up because of the scream.

'Hyukkie, I found it.' He said weakly and opened up his little fist.

Hyuk kneeled and took a closer look, he started sobbing when he recognised the ring.

His parents came running in after hearing the scream and Hae was taken to the hospital for treatment.

Hyuk just stared at the wall in his bedroom, the ring on his thumb. Like a zombie he got up and went downstairs. He went to the kitchen, got something out of the drawer and went outside. He lit up matches to ignite tons of papers to set the bushes on fire.

And that is how Hyuk almost set the entire house on fire.