Chapter Six

Fishy Hae is mine!

Hae was throwing a temper tantrum for the first time in his life. His umma was watching him in shock.

'Hae baby?'

'I want to see Hyukkieeeeeeeeeeeee' He screamed.

'You can't sweety!'

'Argggggggggg' He was kicking his little feet in the air.

'He's contagious, he has the chicken pox.'

Hae stared at his umma. 'Hyukkie is no chicken!' He screamed.

'No, sweety, it's a disease where you get a rash. You can't see him or you'll have it too!'

'I don't care!' He looked at his umma with so much anger.

'Lee Donghae, that is it, go to your room and don't come out until you have calmed down!' His umma said in desperation.

'Bad umma!' Hae yelled as he ran to his room sobbing.

His umma wiped a tear away. Hae never had behaved like this before.

 

'Haeeee...' Hyukkie whispered.

'You can't see him, honey.' His umma said, dipping a moist towel over his forehead.

'Haeeeeee...'

'Umma, what's wrong with Hyukjae?' Sora asked.

'He's like this because of the fever.' Their umma sighed.

 

'Hae, you have to eat.' His umma was rubbing his back. Hae was flat on his tummy on the bed. He was clinging to his Nemo plushie. His eyes all red and puffy.

'Uuuuuuummmmmmaaaaaa.' He sobbed.

'Sweety, Hyukkie won't be happy if you get sick too.' She tried.

'Let me see Hyukkieeeeee.' Thick tears were rolling down his cheeks.

'Sorry but no.'

Hae started crying harder. He didn't even notice his umma leaving with her head down in defeat.

He just laid there for hours worrying, crying, begging and praying.

What if Hyukkie was going to die? Hae's chest hurt. He had to check up on him. He waited till he heard his umma going to bed. He counted to one hundred ten times, sometimes he had to start over since he really only knew how to count to ten. He lifted his legs from the bed and pushed his plushie under the covers. He sneaked downstairs and softly opened the back door. He ran on his bare feet through the garden and towards Hyukkie's house. He started climbing the tree. Slowly he worked his way up. He peeked through Hyukkie's window. He saw how Hyuk's umma was kissing his forehead and leaving the room. Hyukkie was clearly sleeping. Hae's heart calmed down. He seemed okay. He just sat there, watching over his monkey.

After a while he saw Hyukkie moving to his side, facing him. Slowly the monkey opened his eyes and looked straight at him. Hae waved. Hyuk was too weak to get out of bed but he smiled. It wasn't his gummy one but it still made Hae grin back. He watched as the other slowly fell asleep again and then crawled back down the tree.

 

Hae's umma was confused about the mood swing. As stubborn and angry as Hae was the day before, as sweet and caring he was today. Oh he still kept asking if he could visit Hyukjae but he didn't throw a fit when it was declined. Siwon came over to play and Hae behaved perfectly.

'Hae?'

'Wonnie?'

'What's wrong?'

'Nothing.'

'Hae...'

Hae ignored him and kept building a house.

Siwon sighed. 'Hyuk won't die.' he whispered.

He saw Hae freeze and hugged the boy.

'Promise?' Hae said weakly.

'Promise.'

'Pinky swear!' Hae demanded.

 

Hyukjae was still very weak. The doctor had visited and informed everyone they shouldn't worry.

'Haeeeeee.' Hyukjae whispered.

'When you are better, we'll allow him to see you.' His umma said softly, her son's hair.

'Umma, please open the window a bit.' Hyukjae begged.

 

At night Hae did the same ritual. This time he brought a small plushie with him. He climbed the tree and was happy when he saw the window was open. He stepped from the tree to the window and entered the room. He ran up to his monkey and hugged him tight.

'Hae?'

'Hyukkie!' Hae whispered back.

'Stay.' Hyuk's voice was all hoarse and he had little red spots all over him.

'Does it hurt?' Hae asked softly.

'Not anymore.' Hyuk smiled reassuring. 'But I can't sleep.' He whined a bit.

Hae handed over his plushie and pushed Hyuk's head against his neck and started to sing.

Slowly Hyuk fell asleep.

 

The next morning, Hae's umma went to her son's room to wake him up and was startled.

There in the bed was Hae all flushed with fever and little red dots covering his body.