Forgotten Past

Skies of Fire

 

So Yoseob basically was babytalking and could not pronounce his name properly, hence Yodeobi. and if you guys watch the 3rd anniversary video, Beast received these shirts from fans with their own nickname and Yoseob was Yodeobi. So, just to clear up any confusion. And I might add on the other names here as well for other members :) As always comments are loved darlings <3333

 

 

 

 

Yoseob brought his knees together and hugged them against his knees, he turned his head sideways and placed his cheek on top of his knees, staring at the broad back of a man who was currently washing the dishes in the kitchen.

 

 

The handsome young man on the television was running to catch the beautiful woman – the love of his life – trying to convince her to spend the rest of her life with him. Yoseob loved this drama and he had been waiting forever to watch the scene where the two leads would finally confess to each other and live happily ever after. But instead of watching the scene he was dying to see on the television, he was watching Doojoon washing dishes in the kitchen instead.

 

 

He blinked a few times and sighed, cheek still resting on top of his knees causing him to look like a fragile and forlorn five years old. The thoughts about his Hyung had never really surfaced on his mind until Hyunseung decided to mention him during the visit this afternoon, not just once but all the way throughout the conversation. He felt bad for Doojoon because he was sure the older man felt totally left out, and he was going to explain to Doojoon about his Hyung tonight. Oh well, he could always count on his best friend to say the most random things at the most random times. He smiled slightly at the thought and focused back on the broad back in the kitchen, now drying the plates and bowls and cups and cutleries after finishing washing them earlier.

 

 

It had been a few months since Doojoon moved in and Yoseob was used to having him around, used to having someone to talk to, used to having someone to laugh with, used to having someone to share with, used to having someone to live with. It was all great and groovy and Yoseob loved having someone around, especially someone like Doojoon. Yes, Hyunseung was his best friend, but he had a life of his own and Yoseob would never want to intrude, and so Doojoon was a blissful intrusion whom Yoseob would always be grateful about. 

 

 

The handsome actor started hugging the beautiful young actress on television, but Yoseob hugged his knees tighter as he contemplated whether or not he should start opening up to Doojoon. They were still practically strangers as of today, other than being flatmates living together under one roof. They did not tell stories about families or backgrounds or their past, they settled for generic and basic information they needed to know. Would he be secure enough to share a piece of his life to Doojoon? Yoseob sighed, he would never know until he tried.

 

 

“Doojoonie, are you done?”

 

 

Doojoon smiled upon hearing the sweet yet slightly whiny voice, and grinned widely at the new name Yoseob had been calling him for the last few days. He turned slowly and dried his hands on a clean cloth, “Yes, Yoseobie,” he returned the (affectionate) name back to the younger man, “Give me a second I’ll be right there.” He could see Yoseob squirmed and giggled at the name on the couch – more aptly called the younger man’s makeshift bed for the past few months – from the corner of his eyes and he shook his head in amusement, too adorable.

 

 

The older man made his way to the couch and took a seat beside Yoseob, hugging a fluffy Thomas and Friends bolster and making himself comfortable in front of the television. “So how’s the show? What’s happening now?” Doojoon winced as he tried to concentrate on the drama, “Are they finally together now? What’s going on?” Before moving in with Yoseob, he had zero interest in any sort of drama, the huge LCD television in the mansion was mostly used to play games or watching soccer matches or watching the news. But Yoseob was a big fan of dramas and would pout for days if he missed it even by one second, they even had rituals of watching the episodes together. It was weird at first, watching dramas with another guy, but lately it was extremely endearing for Doojoon and he even looked forward to their drama-watching nights.

 

 

Yoseob stared at Doojoon with all sincerity in the whole wide world as he asked, “Is it okay if I tell you something about me?”

 

 

Doojoon turned to look at Yoseob slowly, eyebrows raised in confusion. “What was that?”

 

 

Yoseob repeated, “Can I tell you something about me?”

 

 

Doojoon was confused, he did not understand but he could not hide his curiosity as he asked “Why all of a sudden?” Yoseob shrugged nonchalantly and answered, “You were honest with me about borrowing that money from your cousin.” There was a slight glare from Yoseob and Doojoon was reminded to the day when he told Yoseob about the money (that he took from Junhyung) and the younger man was livid with rage, scolding Doojoon with uninhibited passion. Yoseob continued when the frown on Doojoon’s face did not disappear, “I think I should be honest with you about something too. It’s about time for us to open up to each other slowly. I mean we are living together and I would really like to know you better. Don’t you feel the same way?”

 

 

Doojoon nodded slowly, trying to process the younger man’s words and his mouth went dry. He could not reveal who he was, he could not do it now, but he nodded anyway. “Okay, we can try it slowly.” Pure relief washed over Yoseob’s face as he grinned – honestly, the brightest grin Doojoon had ever seen in his entire life.

 

 

“Alright.” He turned to face Doojoon, folding his legs underneath his body and sighed loudly, preparing to open his heart and let a bit of Doojoon in.

 

 

“How are you and Hyunseungie?” Yoseob asked almost nervously and Doojoon hesitated a little before answering, “Uh, we are good? I guess? He is a strange fellow and has a mind of his own,” the older man chuckled at the fond memories of his first meeting with Hyunseung, “he spaces out almost all the time, does weird stuff like random dances, says weird things, cracks weird jokes, claims weird lies. All in all he is a weird fella but after some getting used to, he is a funny guy. I like him.” Doojoon stopped and asked, “Why?”

 

 

Yoseob shook his head cutely and cracked a nervous smile. “Okay, it’s good that you guys get along well.” And an awkward silence followed, Yoseob chewing his lower lip nervously while Doojoon was still trying to grasp the situation. “Yoseobah, what is going on?”

 

 

“You heard Hyunseungie mentioning about my Hyung?” Ah, so that was what going on. Hyunseung did tease Yoseob constantly about this Hyung he met when he was a mere five-year-old boy, Doojoon did not miss the blush creeping up the younger man’s cheeks every single time.

 

 

“Yes.”

 

 

Yoseob started fiddling with the hem of his shirt, “Well, he’s not really my Hyung though. He was an older brother figure I met a long time ago when I was five. I was there visiting my fath – “ Yoseob stopped and cleared his throat midway, “I was there because my mother had some matters to sort out. Instead of leaving me alone at home, she decided to bring me along.” Doojoon frowned because he knew too well the younger man was there to visit his father. Yoseob was lying, he was lying right through his teeth but Doojoon decided to keep it to himself, he needed to know what Yoseob was going to tell him next.

 

 

“And when my mother was settling the matter, I wandered alone into a wide grass plane behind the mansion and decided to stay there and played alone.” The mansion, he missed his bedroom and everything inside it, Doojoon thought. “And then suddenly the sky turned orange because it was late and everything else casted long scary shadows and I was so scared. I was alone and everything seemed darker and scary and all I wanted was to go home with eomma. And I started crying because I was afraid and I wanted my eomma and I wanted to go home with her and hold her hand and be safe. And suddenly, there was a hand holding my hand, it was warm and soft and slightly bigger and he was holding my hand throughout the trip back to the mansion.” Doojoon saw a nostalgic beam on the younger man’s face, “He was shushing me with gentle words and big bright smiles, telling me that everything would be okay because Hyung was there. And at that moment, I felt like everything was going to be okay, like I was safe with him and so I held his hand tighter.”

 

 

And you slept while holding my hand on the couch out of exhaustion and when you were sleeping I had to get back to Gayoon.

 

 

“Because I was so exhausted, I slept on the couch, holding his warm hand but when I woke up he was gone. It was so silly because I did not even ask for his name.” Yoseob chuckled in embarrassment, “I call him Hyung all of these years because I don’t know his name. But it’s okay, what does a name mean when you have the precious memories etched in your brain forever, right?” Yoseob looked at Doojoon with expectant eyes and the older man could do nothing but nodded softly.

 

 

Yoseob was back to his cheery self as he clasped his hands in excitement, “Okay, that’s all. I just thought you should know something about this Hyung Hyunseung has been blabbering about all day. I wouldn’t want you to feel left out of our conversation.”

 

 

Oh Yoseobah, how could I have been left out of this when this was my memory as well?

 

 

Doojoon chuckled and petted Yoseob’s head slowly, ruffling his soft hair and running his fingers against the soft strands. “Do you know where this Hyung is now?”

 

 

Yoseob shook his head softly and pouted, “No.”

 

 

I am right here!

 

 

Doojoon nodded and cupped his chin upwards to meet his eyes, “I am sure you will meet him soon enough. Trust me.”

 

 

“How would you know?”

 

 

Doojoon pushed his chest outward to signal his arrogance, “I just know, trust me.” Yoseob laughed in amusement. “Then where is your eomma now?” Doojoon could see the visible stiffening on Yoseob’s face and body, the smile was instantly gone. “She is not here right now.” Doojoon pressed on, “So where is she?”

 

 

Doojoon knew he was pushing far past the limit, but he needed to know, he needed to understand what was going on. Yoseob pursed his lips and kicked him out of the couch, “Get out of my bed. I’m sleepy, and I’m sleeping now. Get out.” There was a series of kicks to Doojoon’s and back to get him out of the makeshift bed, and to distract him from the uncomfortable topic.

 

 

Noticing the discomfort in Yoseob’s tone, Doojoon chuckled and teased the younger man, “We can always sleep together in your bed, Yoseobie~ I don’t mind at all, I bet it’s better than sleeping here all alone.” Yoseob scrunched up his face and did a mehrong at a chuckling Doojoon, “You should be the one sleeping here then! You have recovered well enough and that is my bed, mind you.” Doojoon shrugged, “Sure, let’s swap places, I’ll sleep here. Let me get my pillows and blanket out.”

 

 

Grappling at his own blanket, Yoseob quickly shuffled towards Doojoon to stop him, “No, no. It’s okay. I’m fine here, it’s fine. We can swap another day. It’s fine really.” Doojoon raised an eyebrow and Yoseob smiled, “It’s fine really. Just sleep well okay.” It was so adorable and Doojoon was about to embrace Yoseob in a bear hug when the younger man scampered away and jumped onto his makeshift bed, pulling the blanket over his head and muttered, “Good night, Doojoonie.”

 

 

Doojoon smiled at the bundle of blanket on the couch. Yoseob was too kind for his own good and a sharp pang of guilt stabbed him in the gut. He turned off the lights and whispered back, “Good night, Yoseobah. Sleep well.”

 

 

O~O~O~O~O~O~O

 

 

It was past midnight when Doojoon walked out of the bedroom. He was having problem with sleeping and thought of having a glass of milk to help him sleep – Yoseob taught him this as the younger man warmed up a glass of milk a few nights ago for Doojoon. When he reached the living room, he realized that the curtain of the high-ceiling windows was drew open, soft light illuminating the soft skin of Yoseob’s face. Milk forgotten, he walked to squat down beside Yoseob and adjusted the haphazard blanket so that it covered the younger man properly. Yoseob moved slightly and groaned, adjusting his position and the blanket around him. Doojoon smiled when he saw the frown smoothed out as Yoseob was back to sleep.

 

 

A twelve year-old Doojoon was supposed to find Gayoon in the mansion when he saw a small crying figure underneath the big oak tree behind the mansion. Out of curiosity, he approached the distressed boy slowly, trying not to scare him away. The boy was tiny, much smaller than him and he instantly recognized him as the new young master in the household, the only son of the mistress, Gayoon’s only stepbrother. Mr. Yoon had been gushing to the whole household about the boy as his only son, and his arrival was such a big deal that the household had been busy from a week before. He could hear soft hiccups and tiny sobs from the boy, his shoulders shaking from the force of his cry and Doojoon instantly wrapped his own bigger hand around the small palm. The boy was startled for a while but upon seeing Doojoon’s smiling face, his face softened and between hiccups and sobs, the small boy murmured of wanting to go home with his mother and he was scared because he was lost and could not find his way back to his eomma. Doojoon smiled and said, “Don’t worry. Hyung is here and I will protect you!” Upon hearing the word ‘protect’, the smaller boy stopped crying as he looked up to Doojoon, teary black orbs staring into the depths of Doojoon’s soul. “What’s your name?” Doojoon asked and the small boy answered in between his sobs, “Yo – yo – yodeobi.” Doojoon grinned and petted his head, “Hyung is here, Yodeobi. Don’t be afraid. We’ll find your eomma.” The small boy hiccupped three more times before nodding and tightened his hold on Doojoon’s hand, trusting the older boy with his life. Doojoon smiled and they both walked into the well lit mansion, leaving behind an orange sky of dusk.

 

 

Doojoon smiled as memories rushed through his head. Fond memories of him and Yoseob. The only memories of him and Yoseob. He looked down at the sleeping man and caressed softly on a chubby cheek, careful not to wake Yoseob up. Baby steps, Doojoon reminded himself. It was a great achievement today with Yoseob opening up to him – although the younger man was lying – but he was opening up all right and it was a good start.

 

 

It was too adorable, Yoseob bundled up was too adorable, and before Doojoon could catch himself he was already leaning down to place a soft kiss on Yoseob’s forehead. He grinned in satisfaction as he heard the soft breathing from the younger man.

 

 

Sleep well and sweet dreams, Yodeobi.