Escaping Affection

Skies of Fire

 

A/N: Blame real life. Seriously. I am innocent for the late update… Okay well, yeah my real life is killing me OTL But here it is, the next chapter will be the last and I am preparing another story Seo Hyunwoo x Yang Yoseob, an idea borne from twitter and stuff (some of you should know this *winks). Further detailed will be provided later on. Exciteeeddd! And as always, comments are loved. I could never stress this message enough to all of you, although I might not reply but I read every single one, and they warmed my heart. Hugggss to all of you people.

 

 

The nursery school was quiet; it was too early in the morning for any activity to be done. The sky was still dark, a moonless night, as gloomy as Yoseob’s heart. He shuffled down the wooden stairs slowly, unable to sleep even with Daejung in his arms. His mind was miles away since he eavesdropped on Doojoon and Minje Noona’s conversation earlier in the evening. Yoseob had decided that he would not – would never – welcome Doojoon to the house, but instead he found himself cleaning Daejung’s room for the older man to move in comfortably. After relocating the little bundle to sleep on Yoseob’s bed, he changed the sheets and the comforter, provided another pillow (because Doojoon always slept with a few pillows), and tidied the room up.

 

 

Now he could not go back to sleep, not anymore. How could Noona invite Doojoon to stay with them so casually? How could she… betray him? Yoseob was so mad at her, he was furious, he was livid with anger… he wanted to… kiss her and pour his gratitude for easily inviting Doojoon to stay. It had been too long and god, he missed Doojoon. Terribly. And he wanted to stab himself repeatedly for thinking of Doojoon and wanting the older man back. It was selfish and totally inappropriate and he needed to get over everything Doojoon-related. Every single ing thing.

 

 

Yoseob padded carefully to the sofa, intent on watching some television before going back upstairs and cuddling with Daejung. That was his perfect plan before he heard a cough. Yoseob frowned and widened his eyes, turning his head around to find the source of the coughing sound. There was no one in the house – thank goodness for that fact because Yoseob would definitely freak out so badly if there was an intruder or any spooky apparition – so he tiptoed, searching for the sound and finally found it from outside. There was sniffling in addition to the cough. Someone was outside and freezing their off. The weather was warmer now, but the temperature could get quite low at night and whoever in front was definitely feeling it.

 

 

Still frowning with confusion, Yoseob slowly opened the door and saw a shivering Doojoon sitting on the steps of the porch with a stuffed travel bag next to him, one hand covering his mouth when he coughed again, the other went around his front, trying to hug himself warm. The door creaked a little and Doojoon looked up from where he was seated on the porch to see a head peeking from the slightly ajar door, a face outline was enough… hell even a quick glimpse of Yoseob was enough for Doojoon, he was not a greedy person – not anymore because Yoseob had taught him well. Doojoon’s eyes widened, he tried not to blink, drinking and memorizing every plane and every inch of Yoseob’s face, committing them to his memory. The older man stood up nervously and rubbed his freezing hands together to warm them up.

 

 

“Hi, Yoseobah. I don’t know that you will still be up at – “

 

 

“How long have you been here?” Yoseob cut Doojoon off, his voice surprisingly steady. The older man looked at him like Yoseob had grown three additional heads.

 

 

When Doojoon did not answer, Yoseob repeated his question, “How long have you… waited outside?”

 

 

Doojoon swallowed nervously and his dry cold lips, “Two hours.”

 

 

Yoseob’s stare did not waver, he did not flinch, he did not answer back, he did not ask any other question, because he knew Doojoon was lying. It hurt him, it pained him to realize that after all this while Doojoon was still covering things up from him – not that he was totally honest with the older man before – but wasn’t it time to be honest to each other now and leave everything behind? Get to know each other, turn over a new leaf and live happily ever after? Maybe a happy ending was never for him, Yoseob deduced.

 

 

The silence was killing both of them. It positively killed Doojoon when Yoseob did not react, he sighed heavily and finally told the younger man the truth. “I have been waiting close to five hours… I didn’t want to disturb by knocking on the door. I could not sleep. All I could think about is coming here to see you. And so I just… came and waited.” Doojoon coughed again and Yoseob winced at the sound.

 

 

“You are falling sick.” Yoseob stated.

 

 

Doojoon raised his eyebrows at the statement. Could he hope…? Was Yoseob worried about him? He turned his head to stare at Yoseob’s big honest eyes and smiled. “I am… happy.” Yoseob frowned at the strange answer but he opened the door wider, a silent signal for Doojoon to come in when the clan leader started to sniffle and cough again. 

 

 

When Doojoon stepped in, the house was dark with soft yellow lights illuminating the kitchen and the living room. The curtain was thin and billowy, meant for allowing lights to filter through, unlike the heavy curtain in his room which was meant for keeping any light out. The house was quiet, it was serene, but it was not cold, it was not lonely. Doojoon felt warm, aside from freezing outside for five hours. Yoseob gestured him to seat on one of the chairs at the wooden table and quickly shuffled into the kitchen, opening a drawer to retrieve some medicine for Doojoon. He placed two pills and a glass of warm water in front of a seated Doojoon, all the time avoiding looking into the older man’s eyes. Yoseob his too-dry lips and quickly turned away to walk towards the door, without saying anything to a confused Doojoon. He tightened the night jacket over his pajamas and slipped into his shoes.

 

 

“Where are you going?” Doojoon croaked, voice soft and hesitant.

 

 

Yoseob shuffled nervously at the foyer, trying to tie his shoelaces before finally giving up. His fingers would not stop trembling, so he opted for a pair of furry slip-ons instead.

 

 

“Yoseobah…” Doojoon almost pleaded, “…where are you going?”

 

 

There was a slight pause as Yoseob casted a glance over his shoulder and answered softly. “I’m going for a walk. I need to…” he stopped talking because his brain was in utter chaos – he needed to tell Doojoon he was sorry, he needed to run across the house and fall into Doojoon’s arms, he needed Doojoon to hug him, to kiss him senseless, he needed to confess his undying love for Doojoon, that whatever happened was so inconsequential and small compared to their love, he needed to… he needed to get away and think properly.

 

 

Doojoon was feeling extremely uneasy, “It’s dark outside, do you need me to –“

 

 

Yoseob shook his head, “No, I’ll be fine. Take your medicine and rest upstairs. Your room is the one in the middle. I have…” I have prepared everything for you, but Yoseob bit his lips before he blurted out his stupid thoughts. He cleared his throat and said in a steadier voice, “Go upstairs. Tell Noona I’ll be back before the kids come in the morning.” And Yoseob bolted out of the house… running away from Doojoon. Again. Just like always.

 

 

When Yoseob was out of the house, he immediately took gulps of air into his lungs. He had stopped breathing since the first second his eyes rested on Doojoon. He huffed as he breathed, inhale, exhale. He took other gulps of air… but this time it was to mask the chocking sobs bubbling in his chest.

 

 

He walked towards the small and safe forest behind the house, trying to calm his heart down and be strong.

 

 

O~O~O~O~O~O~O

 

 

Doojoon had come to help for a few days, but Yoseob kept his interaction with Doojoon to the extreme minimum. Everybody loved him – who wouldn’t anyway – but Yoseob avoided being alone in the same room with Doojoon, or sitting at the same table, or walking together. But the most important thing for Yoseob was to avoid as much eye contact as he could with the older man. He remembered how he was so lost in those eyes, when Doojoon stared at him with so much love and affection, Yoseob melted into a puddle of goo. It was dangerous – Doojoon was dangerous.

 

 

Yet, that fact did not settle too nicely with Daejung. The little boy loved Doojoon a little too much – he loved his Ahjussi, adored him, and was totally bewildered about his Appa’s cold attitude towards Ahjussi. And that was how Doojoon was perched on the low stool next to the bed that Yoseob and Daejung shared, the older man’s hand gently patting the peacefully sleeping boy’s tummy. He hummed a little, soft and affectionate, intended only for Daejung’s ears.

 

 

Daejung had been throwing a fit, asking for Doojoon to accompany him to bed. There were awkward glances between Yoseob and Doojoon but they finally relented to Daejung’s whines upon Yoseob’s approval, Doojoon scooping the toddler into his arms playfully and ran up the stairs to Yoseob’s bedroom.

 

 

“Is he asleep?”

 

 

A soft voice filtered through and Doojoon looked up to find Yoseob leaning on the wall, tilting his head a little and looking affectionately to Daejung. Doojoon almost lost his words – and his mind – before he answered, “Yes, he is asleep.”

 

 

And then Yoseob smiled. A smile for Doojoon. “Thank you… and I’m sorry he was such a brat.” Yoseob motioned towards Daejung with his head, “I will talk to him about his previous behavior tomorrow. Whining won’t get him anywhere anymore from now.”

 

 

Doojoon shook his head and chuckled softly, “It’s okay, really. He was just lonely… People get lonely, you know.” He stared at Yoseob now, serious and earnest, waiting for a sign of compassion from the younger man.

 

 

Yoseob pushed away from the wall and straightened his posture, “I will ask Noona when she will be able to release you.” Doojoon frowned and pursed his lips, immediately annoyed by the fact that Yoseob was pushing him away every single time. “I like it here.”

 

 

Yoseob swallowed the lump in his throat and his eyes turned into deep oceans of sadness, “This… this is not for you. Crying children, house chores… you don’t belong here. There is nothing for you here. Please go back home.”

 

 

Ignoring the painful tug in his chest because of Yoseob’s rejection, Doojoon rose slowly from the low stool and approached the younger man. He stood unbearably close to Yoseob and when he leaned down, the tips of their noses almost touched, “I belong to you and you are here.” There was a pause when both of them reveled in the proximity of their almost touching bodies. All it took was a tilt of Yoseob’s head and their lips would meet in a passionate lock. But it was never that easy for Yoseob. He immediately turned his face down and focused on the wooden floor near the wardrobe, refusing to meet Doojoon’s eyes. The clan leader’s body went rigid and he stepped back, creating a safe space between them, combing a hand through his hair in frustration. He walked to the door, retreating to his room. “Thank you for the additional pillows.” Doojoon whispered into the quiet room and then he was gone.

 

 

Yoseob closed his eyes – relief, shock, pain, everything blurred into one confusing whirlwind – and let out a breath he did not realize he was holding all along. He sagged onto the wall for support and dropped down, hugging his weakened knees. Yoseob did not cry, he did not sob, he did not whimper, he sat there for a while, willing his heart to let Doojoon go instead of holding on.

 

 

O~O~O~O~O~O~O

 

 

The sky was dark with black clouds rolling over the sun, signaling for a heavy downpour in just a little while. The kids had all gone home from the nursery school and Minje was grateful it did not rain just yet. She walked back into the nursery school to find a scene she had seen since ten minutes ago. Yoseob was coaxing Daejung for another spoon of rice but the little boy pursed his lips indignantly, closing his mouth to any food from Yoseob’s hand.

 

 

“Come on, just a spoon. Aren’t you hungry?” Yoseob cooed. “Say ahhhh~~~”

 

 

Daejung stubbornly shook his head and bit his lips. He was never picky with food, he ate well all the time and now suddenly he was bringing in all of these whiny demands and silly antics to the table. Yoseob was far from amused, he did not bring his son up to be a pain in the and Daejung had been his perfect little angel until a few days ago. They had talks before, regarding his behavior a few nights back when he insisted Doojoon to stay while he slept. Yoseob had righted Daejung’s manners and the little boy complied immediately.

 

 

But this had gone beyond Yoseob’s patience limit. He dropped the small bowl and cutleries on the table and raised his eyebrows to question Daejung. “Okay, Daejungah. What do you want now?”

 

 

Daejung stopped shaking his head as he parted his lips slightly and whispered, “I want to eat with Ahjussi…” Yoseob widened his eyes in surprise and scoffed at the request; he pushed his chair roughly and sprang to his feet immediately. His own son chose Doojoon over him? His own son? Yoseob wanted to laugh at this, but he could not, this was too sad to be laughed about.

 

 

“Fine.” Yoseob said, he was livid, “Fine, you can ask your Ahjussi to feed you when he comes back.” He started walking to the door, wearing his jacket and lacing up his shoes. When a confused Daejung finally realized that Yoseob was leaving, he started to scream and cry.

 

 

Daejung shuffled his socked feet to run after Yoseob in the foyer, “I’m sorry, Appa. Daejung is a bad boy, please don’t leave Daejung. Appaaa… Appaaaa!” He knelt down and hugged Yoseob’s right thigh close to his body. Daejung looked up to see Yoseob and sobbed uncontrollably, “Appa… Appaa… I’m sorry. I love you. Appa don’t leave Daejung. I will be a good boy and sleep alone, I will eat by myself, I will bathe by myself. I will be a good boy, Appa. Appaaaa, nooo!”

 

 

Inhaling a deep breath, Yoseob steeled his heart, squared his shoulders and talked to Minje over Daejung’s scream, “Noona, can you please…? I need to be alone for a while. I just…”

 

 

Minje understood completely and nodded, peeling Daejung gently from Yoseob’s thigh. His screams grew louder, more desperate, more frightened, but Minje was holding the boy firmly, whispering comforting words on Daejung’s ear. Before stepping outside, Yoseob turned to a wailing Daejung and smiled, “I love you too, baby. Appa just need to be alone. I love you so much and I will never leave you. Never.”

 

 

“Appaaaa!!! Appppaaaa!!! I’m sorry. Appaaaa!! I will be a good boy. I will be a good boy. Apppaaaa!!”

 

 

Yoseob winced at the high pitched scream, his heart was crying, it was bleeding so much for his beloved son, but he needed to get away for a while. He was bringing negative energy to the whole family and he needed to calm down a little. Just then, Doojoon and Mr. Lee were back from grocery shopping, with bags dangling from their arms. Mr. Lee – one of Yoseob’s previous neighbors in the apartment building who was actually part of the hidden members of the clan – was actually a really great man and Doojoon liked conversing with the intelligent man.

 

 

The scene in front of Doojoon confused him – Yoseob crying, dressed in his outdoor outfit, Daejung wailing pitifully, trying to get away from Noona’s grasp, and Minje Noona, she was probably collateral damage in the whole drama – and then Yoseob rushed past him, when Doojoon just stood there like a fool.

 

 

“What happened?” Doojoon frowned. He looked to a fleeing Yoseob, then to a hysterical Daejung, then to Minje, and then back to a running Yoseob in the distance. He looked at Minje and when she shook her head at him with her crestfallen expression, he cursed softly and grabbed an umbrella before running to follow Yoseob. He glimpsed that the younger man went into the small forest.

 

 

Yoseobah, you are not running away anymore.