Finale + Epilogue

Skies of Fire

 

A/N: Last chapter for SoF! This is where it ends, I hope everything ties up together. Writing this has been great, every comment is much much loved and appreciated. Although I don’t reply too often but I love all my readers and I created a twitter account in the middle of this series! Woot woot! Through all the late updates and everything else, this is the finale, and supposed to go up on Thursday OTL I’m sorry… Leave me lots of love. As per my conversation with a few people in twitter (you know who you are, lovelies *winks*) I am writing another series of Seo Hyunwoo and Yang Yoseob from Caffeine. Look forward to that too and… erm… I LOVE YOU GUYS LOTS <333333

 

 

Dark thick clouds quickly folded the sky, enveloping all the blue behind the dark grey. Yoseob was carelessly stomping his way to the small forest when large drops of water started pouring down from the sky; even the Heaven was crying for him. He did not stop or slow down and kept walking until he felt like his lungs were going to give up breathing. It was colder than usual and Yoseob was soaked to the bones. His teeth chattered against one another as the cold bit into his skin and flesh, a punishment he gladly welcomed.

 

 

Yoseob was never a bratty kid, he had never run away from reality – he wanted to, a million times a day since he was young – but he never did because he knew everything would come back and reality would bite him twice as painful in the . He never ran away before, but with Doojoon, he always did. Running away was one of his skills now. Yoseob shook his head, he did not run away, he was just trying to clear his head for a moment, trying to compose his self-control and grow his courage. He just needed some time and he would face anything in his way. He just needed to calm down… to breathe.

 

 

He leaned back against a huge branch of an old oak tree and slid down to sit on the leaves-covered ground. He pulled up his knees to his chest and hugged them tight, resting his chin on top of them. He closed his eyes, feeling the sharp pain on his body from the biting cold. He relished the feeling of water droplets on his hair, his face, his coat and the squishing sound of his soaked rubber boots on the ground. Yoseob closed his eyes, he just needed to think for a while… just a little while to compartmentalize his thoughts, listening to the roar of the heavy rain… when he realized that the water had stopped pouring over him.

 

 

Yoseob opened his eyes to find a pair of dark boots on the ground. He slowly raked his eyes upwards and saw an extremely worried Doojoon, a big yellow umbrella was opened on top of Yoseob to shield the younger man from the unforgiving rain. Doojoon’s face was contorted with so much worry and sadness, Yoseob began to wonder if the naughty twinkles he often saw in the older man’s eyes previously were only parts of his imagination.

 

 

They did not speak a word, only staring at each other, trying to see each other’s souls and the truth deep inside. The heavy rain continued to roar but none of them moved, it was as if they were in a world of their own. Yoseob was not running away anymore, so Doojoon though this was a great improvement.

 

 

Doojoon cleared his throat and leaned down, “You are going to fall sick.”

 

 

Yoseob pulled his head down, “Leave me alone.”

 

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

 

Yoseob sighed, trying so hard not to come off annoyed and irritated, now looking away from Doojoon. “I just need to be alone right now. Please go back to the house, it’s raining.”

 

 

When Doojoon made no move and continued standing over Yoseob, covering the younger man with the umbrella and letting himself get drenched from the rain, Yoseob finally relented. He let out a shaky breath, “Don’t be sorry. Nothing is your fault. I’m just being a big baby.”

 

 

Doojoon frowned as he watched Yoseob wiped his eyes furiously. An ache started deep in his chest and a sick feeling settled in his stomach – he caused all of this because of his own selfish purpose. He cautiously slid in to sit next to Yoseob, careful not to brush against any of the younger man’s clothing. He adjusted the umbrella to the perfect height and held it firm as he observed Yoseob’s face. If he did not know any better, he would assume Yoseob was seriously ill – his skin was ghostly pale, his eyes was tired and had lost their twinkles, and regardless of the rain, his lips were cracked and dry. Yoseob had lost some significant weight too and Doojoon wondered how fragile the younger man would feel in his arms.

 

 

Silence quickly settled between them. None of them moved for a long time and Doojoon was content with just being with Yoseob. The clan leader turned his head slowly and watched as Yoseob frowned cutely, his hair matted onto his head, tiny droplets dripped from the end of his hair. The love he felt for Yoseob was overwhelming, it was almost an obsession, albeit a healthy one… well Doojoon hoped so.

 

 

“I love you.” Doojoon blurted out foolishly and immediately regretted it. Not because he did not love Yoseob anymore but the timing was way off, way way off – and he did not want Yoseob to start running away anymore.

 

 

Doojoon tensed, waiting for any movement or comment that would break his heart, but instead Yoseob laughed. The younger man chuckled and shook his head in amusement. “You know… well, thank you. At least someone still loves me at this point of time. It was a little comforting.”

 

 

Doojoon frowned, confused. “What do you mean by that?”

 

 

Yoseob inhaled deeply, eyes still looking forward as sadness settled in them. Bottomless pits of sorrow. “Daejung hates me now. He wants his Ahjussi all the time. It’s not that I hate you for it, it just feels like… Daejung is my son yet he wants you all the time. He doesn’t need me anymore.” He exhaled heavily, “No one needs me anymore. I’m just… not needed anymore.”

 

 

The frown on Doojoon’s forehead got deeper before realization dawned on him; it was all a misunderstanding, how could Daejung hate Yoseob, how could anyone not need Yoseob, how could Doojoon not need him, how could –

 

 

“He loves you.” Doojoon said, “He loves you so much.” When Yoseob shook his head in denial, Doojoon continued his explanation, “You were so sad and lost these past few days and it was all because of me. Daejung noticed… kids noticed things we adults did not. And when he asked Noona about you, she said that you were just tired. Being Daejungie, he loves you too much to be a burden, so he started hanging out with me. He asked me to accompany him to bed, he asked me to feed him, he asked me to play with him… not wanting to disturb you, because you were tired.”

 

 

There was a chocked sob from Yoseob and Doojoon clasped his hands together on his lap, trying to refrain himself from embracing the smaller man into him arms. “I’m sorry, this was all my fault. Truth is, he needs you more than you think he does. You are his life. He just wants to be a good boy for you.”

 

 

Yoseob smiled slightly, it was so small that Doojoon might convince himself that he had imagined it. “Thank you.” Yoseob exhaled in relief and turned his head to finally look at Doojoon. He smiled, “Thank you.” As quickly as the smile came, it disappeared, he frowned. “Uh oh, now I have a sad Daejungie at home.” But then again, another smile turned up at the corners of his mouth.

 

 

“I love you. I really do.” Doojoon looked at Yoseob with pleading eyes.

 

 

Yoseob swallowed the lump in his throat, he knew this was coming sooner or later. “I can’t Doojoonah… I can’t.”

 

 

“Why not?” Doojoon pressed further, trying to understand. “I need you too, Yoseobah. I need you in my life.”

 

 

Yoseob shook his head, pursing his lips together to stop any sob coming out from his mouth. “You don’t need me anymore. Not anymore.”

 

 

“Please…” Doojoon pleaded again, “Please, don’t do this to me. I know you love me back. Say you love me, love. Please.”

 

 

“I can’t. I’ll be a burden, I can’t be with you.” Yoseob’s body shivered and his fingers trembled from the cold. The rain had subsided but they were drenched to the bones and the cold air was not helping. Doojoon folded the umbrella away and quickly took off his coat and draped it over Yoseob’s trembling body, wrapping the small frame inside his large coat tightly.

 

 

“Are you feeling better now? Warmer?” Doojoon asked worriedly. Yoseob nodded softly but his body was still trembling, still shivering, and Doojoon pulled him into his tight embrace, offering some warmth to the freezing body. How he had missed hugging Yoseob in his arms.

 

 

Doojoon anticipated some struggling, some jostling around, but instead there was none of that. Yoseob melted right away into his body and let out a relaxed sigh. Doojoon placed a kiss on Yoseob’s hair and pulled him tighter in his arms.

 

 

“I know you are not mad at me for lying to you. I know that you knew. What is it now? Take me back into your life.” Doojoon whispered softly into Yoseob’s ear.

 

 

Yoseob did not tense, he stayed relaxed and so Doojoon continued, “I love you so much and I know you love me as much. There is no way I will let you go. I need you in my life. Believe me, trust me, I will make you and Daejungie happy. I will do anything for you. Tell me what I should do and I’ll do it for you.”

 

 

Almost in the verge of desperation, Doojoon could not say anything anymore. This was his last chance and if Yoseob denied him, he would give anything for Yoseob’s happiness and that included walking away. If Yoseob asked him to leave, he would, as long as it made the love of his life happy.

 

 

Yoseob slowly looked up, big wet eyes looking straight at Doojoon, and then with a slight upward movement, Yoseob’s lips were pressed firmly against his. The younger man lifted his chin more to get enough leverage to move his lips against Doojoon’s soft ones. They quickly found their rhythm and were kissing each other in near desperate need. Yoseob wrapped his arms around Doojoon and pulled him closer, sighing in contentment when Doojoon the inside of his mouth thoroughly.

 

 

A million years later after the kiss was over, Yoseob frowned, sadness washed over his face and Doojoon panicked slightly. This was not supposed to happen after a thorough kiss. “What’s wrong, love?”

 

 

“I love you.” Yoseob chocked out, “I love you more than you know but I’m afraid. After seeing what happened to my Eomma… I’m afraid. I don’t want to be abandoned too. I am of no use to you anymore, you have got whatever you needed from me and I am nothing now. I am afraid, I want no association with any Yoon anymore. I just don’t want you to abandon me, that was why I ran…”

 

 

“Shhh…. Shhh…” Doojoon soothed, rocking Yoseob back and forth in his arms, “No… that’s not how it is with us. I’m sorry for making you scared, but I’m never sorry for being in love with you. Never, I will never abandon you, I will never hurt you, not in this life or the next. I love you. I will leave the clan for you, I’ll leave everything for you, I’ll do anything for you. Tell me what to do, Yoseobah. Take me back. I’m begging you, please take me back.”

 

 

“I love you.” Yoseob whispered. And that was all Doojoon needed, that was all he wanted because he knew that this was it. He was spending the rest of his life with the love of his life and their son – technically it was Yoseob’s son but Daejungie would be theirs soon.

 

 

Doojoon smiled, relieved and happy and just downright in love. “Thank you, thank you.” He showered Yoseob’s face with kisses – eyes, nose, cheeks, jaws, lips, temples, hair, everything. “I love you too. Oh God, I love you so much.” Doojoon tightened his hold around Yoseob’s waist.

 

 

O~O~O~O~O~O~O

 

 

“Let me ask you something.”

 

 

“Hmm?” Yoseob hummed, dizzy with happiness and drowsiness. It was a heady combination.

 

 

They were already in bed now, both of them spooning on a bed. The afternoon was draining for both of them, mentally and physically, but Doojoon was never as near happy as he was now. After crying and making up in the forest, they decided to walk back to the house, hand in hand and at fifteen meters to the house, a wailing Daejung ran across to hug Yoseob and begged for forgiveness. There was nothing in this world Yoseob would not give to Daejung, and in minutes they were already curled up on the couch watching some Thomas and Friends on television. When they were all ready for bed, Daejung was back to sleeping alone while both Doojoon and Yoseob entered the same bedroom. Minje noticed but said nothing about it, all Doojoon got from her was an approving smile and a wink.

 

 

Doojoon kissed the side of Yoseob’s exposed left jaw softly. “So you knew from the start?”

 

 

Yoseob sighed, more in exhaustion rather than irritation. He turned in Doojoon’s arms to face the older man. “Yes.” He nodded, “I knew not long after you moved in.”

 

 

“And you didn’t kick me out?” Doojoon raised an eyebrow in curiosity.

 

 

“Nope. Maybe I have fallen for you on first sight, when you were almost unconscious on that dirty alleyway, beaten to a pulp.” Yoseob teased, smiling and running his hand through the older man’s hair. “I feel like I have loved you for a long time.”

 

 

Doojoon scoffed and muttered, “Try since you were twelve.”

 

 

Yoseob widened his eyes, his full attention on Doojoon, “Really? Are you serious, Hyung?”

 

 

Doojoon smirked and kissed Yoseob’s temple, “Yes, Yodeobi. Since the time under the tree, until now and forever. You need to do better than running to get away from me.” Yoseob giggled when Doojoon called him Yodeobi, it had been a long time.

 

 

After a short pause, Yoseob frowned to Doojoon and asked sincerely, “Have you received back your money for my tuition and everything else?”

 

 

“What?” Doojoon deadpanned.

 

 

Yoseob shrugged, “I have everything covered actually. There is this lawyer who does stuff for me, I’m not sure. He always goes to Noona though, she is the one who does all my financial stuff, I actually want nothing to do with everything. So… I’m just curious.”

 

 

“So everything was just… the tuition… the supermarket… Oh God, Yoseobah, you are killing me, you had no idea what I did to scare the supermarket manager.” Doojoon pulled his eyebrows together, slightly offended by the reality that Yoseob was covering everything on his own, not needing even a dime from Doojoon. “You lied a lot to me, Yoon Yoseob.”

 

 

“I’m sorry. I’m so so… so sorry. I just want to be honest with you. This is ed up and I am trying to make it right for us. I’m sorry.”

 

 

“You are forgiven.” Doojoon smiled and said without a barest hint of hesitation, “Just don’t do this again. We are done with lying to each other.” Yoseob nodded enthusiastically.

 

 

“Then why are you working at that small café down the road if you have enough?” Doojoon asked, not really caring what the answer would be. All it mattered was that Yoseob was in his arms. Caressing the side of Doojoon’s sideburn, Yoseob answered and shrugged nonchalantly, “It’s the Kaname’s. I’m just helping out when I’m not with Daejung.”

 

 

Doojoon paused for a while and then pouted, “So… am I still your maneki-neko?”

 

 

Yoseob laughed, happy and carefree. He nodded, “Yes you are. But most importantly, you are nae-kuh-ya (mine). Now and forever.”

 

 

A foolish grin bloomed on Doojoon’s face and he leaned down to kiss the love of his life breathless.

 

 

O~O~O~O~O~O~O

 

Epilogue

 

 

“Daejungah! Eat your broccoli!” Yoseob shouted from where he was standing near the cupboard in the kitchen, preparing colorful plastic plates for the kids tomorrow.

 

 

Daejung made a face to plead his father, “Daddy, I don’t want…”

 

 

Doojoon frowned at him and sighed. He was in a pinch, he loved Daejung so much but the wrath Yoseob would bestow on them if the broccolis were not gone by the time he came back… Doojoon shivered, he’d rather not think about the wrath. “One more okay, baby? Please just one more.”

 

 

Daejung shook his head, “The veggie has frizzy hair… I don’t want to eat that… Daddy…”

 

 

Upon witnessing Daejung’s expression, Doojoon’s heart melted, he could not force this frizzy-haired veggie on his son. He looked to Yoseob and when the younger man was still busy with his task, he put the veggie into his own mouth instead and ate it. Daejung’s eyes sparkled with love and admiration, as he jumped up from his seat and hugged Doojoon so tightly. “I love you, Daddy.” Doojoon kissed Daejung’s chubby cheek and again checked if Yoseob was watching them. He was not.

 

 

When Daejung was tucked under the blanket, sleeping tightly hugging his Thomas and Friends bolster, both of his parents were still in the living room of the nursery school they called home, dancing slowly to a song crackling from an old gramophone at the corner.

 

 

It had been three years since Doojoon had left the clan to pursue a domestic life with Yoseob, he was still responsible for the clan’s big decisions, but was not actively involved anymore. Junhyung was leading the clan now, Doojoon knew the man was more than capable to take over the leadership, and the clan was never better in the hands of his trusted man. Junhyung, Hyunseung, Kikwang, and Dongwoon visited the nursery school often to help out, and finally Yoseob had learned their real names (“See, I knew something was fishy… Their Eommas would never hate them that much.” Yoseob said innocently to a laughing Doojoon).

 

 

Junhyung and Hyunseung were in a really serious relationship and Junhyung was about to propose the older man by this week. The rental store was doing great, Doojoon continued working at the rental store with Dongwoon helping often enough for him to read the new released mangas.  Kikwang always came by and helped Yoseob out in the nursery school when he was not busy with the clan and he proved to be great with children – he and the kids had the same mind-age according to Yoseob.

 

 

Based on the will of the late Yoon clan leader, Yoseob inherited everything that was not clan related while Doojoon inherited everything clan related. Both of them had half of the fair share, but they changed everything into both of their names and Daejung. They were living humbly, living a simple life and were not in need of extravagant sum of money. Gayoon and her mother, Madam, continued to stay in the mansion but other than the allowance given to them monthly, they had nothing – no power, no financial stability, no surname. Jihoon stayed by Gayoon’s side and most of the clan members suspected that they were in some serious relationship with each other – Gayoon was never happier than now.

 

 

Minje went back to Japan a couple of years back. She pursued higher education in children field and would be finishing in a couple more years. Yoseob had never seen her glowing with happiness when she came back to Korea for summer break, he knew she must have missed her family so badly.

 

 

Now, it was Doojoon, Yoseob, Daejung and the nursery school. They loved every minute of it, especially Doojoon. When he was not helping out in the rental store, he would be with Yoseob and the kids. He loved kids and being with them round the clock made him a better father, a better partner. It had been three years, but he loved Yoseob as much, if not more than before. Daejung was another gift to his life and he would do anything for his little man, their little sunshine.

 

 

“I hope the broccoli tasted great.” Yoseob said casually.

 

 

Doojoon almost tripped in his slow dance, “What are you talking about?”

 

 

“Don’t deny it.” Yoseob chastised, “I saw what you did. You ate that broccoli for Daejung.”

 

 

Wincing at Yoseob’s words, he sighed as he confessed his sin, “It’s a frizzy-haired veggie. You can’t expect him to eat frizzy-haired veggie. It’s… it’s…” Doojoon stuttered.

 

 

Yoseob rolled his eyes and kissed Doojoon’s lips, “Oh, shut up. Don’t do that again, okay?” Doojoon nodded.

 

 

“Although it’s hot to see how much you love our son.” Yoseob smiled naughtily, a twinkle of mischief in his eyes. “It kind of .”

 

 

Doojoon laughed and shook his head. “Let’s turn you on even more, love.”

 

 

Yoseob yelped a little when Doojoon scooped him up and threw him on the older man’s shoulder, marching to their bedroom one step at a time.

 

 

It was a family. It was not perfect, they fought a lot, screamed a lot, mad at each other a lot.  But they were mad about each other more than a lot, cared about each other more than a lot, loved each other more than a lot, treasured each other more than a lot, and most importantly they protected each other more than a lot.

 

 

It was sort of a perfect family for Doojoon and Yoseob and little Daejungie sunshine.